Official PS5 Thread

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...ores-at-all-on-launch-day-due-to-the-pandemic

Probably no surprise here.

I guess on November 12th people like me should be watching all the outlets and hope we get lucky. It's very unlikely I will be able to camp out for x amount of hours or whatever in the middle of the night F5ing and nowinstock.net so... I am not confident I will see this thing this year.

Don't look at the NowInStock.net stock listings. These days they're so slow that whatever they're reporting is long gone by the time you see it.
Watch their chat. Seriously. There's very much a "we're all in this together" mentality and people are really helpful. Outside of Amazon, the main stores update their quantities during the day.

Don't look at the NowInStock.net stock listings. These days they're so slow that whatever they're reporting is long gone by the time you see it.
Watch their chat. Seriously. There's very much a "we're all in this together" mentality and people are really helpful. Outside of Amazon, the main stores update their quantities during the day.

Thanks man.

So...How does one access the NowInStock.net chat? I’ve been looking around their site after someone else recommended that, but still can’t find it. Is it just the comments below the main tracker?

Playstation Direct charged my credit card today for my PS5!

Metasploit-wrapuup-2.gif

My Amazon PS5 pre-order is also showing launch day delivery.

PlayStation 5 User Interface Tour: Examining The New Menu System

PlayStation 5's user interface is a new and interesting experience- but also retains a lot of functionality you'll be familiar with from PS4...in this guided tour, John Linneman takes you through the menu system of Sony's latest console...

I just ordered the Spiderman Miles Morales bundle with the remastered Spiderman. I never played the first one. Probably the only launch game I'll have, but I have a bunch of PS4 games that I found too distracting to play at 30 FPS that now I'll actually be able to play for real (looking at you Horizon Zero Dawn).

So...How does one access the NowInStock.net chat? I’ve been looking around their site after someone else recommended that, but still can’t find it. Is it just the comments below the main tracker?

Yeah, that's it. Like any open forum there is definitely some random nonsense mixed in. Still, there are people who'll alert you to stocks, back-door ways to get stuff in your cart quickly, etc. I used that chat to get a PS5 and 3090. I'm planning on using it to help a buddy get a Series X next week, too.

Just got an email from FedEx that my PS5 has been picked up and is scheduled for delivery on the 12th! Guess I can cancel my back-up Amazon order.

I’m so excited - more pumped about this than any other tech this year!

Just got an email from FedEx that my PS5 has been picked up and is scheduled for delivery on the 12th! Guess I can cancel my back-up Amazon order.

I’m so excited - more pumped about this than any other tech this year!

I wouldn't. Ebay that thing. Or sell it to a member here at cost if you don't like scalpers.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Just randomly checked shopmyexchange.com and was able to order a PS5 from there to be picked up at my local store. What's odd is that it's not listed anywhere on their site, but it was listed weeks ago when preorders went live, so I added it to my wish list then since there was no pre-order option on their site and then they immediately unlisted it and the only way I could find it was through my wish list. So hopefully it doesn't get cancelled or something since there's no listing or product page for it even on the site.

I also had to buy it with an extra controller for some reason since that's the only bundle they have, so got it for $570, but at least that's tax free too. Wish I could get a pulse headset for it too, but may go out this weekend to see if any stores are stocking it locally. I just hope it doesn't take them 2-3 months to ship to me like it did for my OLED TV this time last year.

For anyone who ordered from BestBuy... did they give you some sort of appointment time to pick it up? I received this email from a manager at my local BestBuy to which my PS5 order is linked..

"
Dear Valued Customer,

We are super excited that you chose us REDACTED SPECIFIC BEST BUY STORE to serve you for the amazing Launch of The CONSOLES! This year will are releasing the pre-orders differently, as a very important reminder if you have a appointment come on time. We are making sure everyone is following safety measures due to COVID-19. At your appointment please make sure to bring your Government issue photo ID, copy of your pre-order that was sent to your email. Between the hours of 6am-9am we are only fulfilling order pickup with appointments so please feel free to stay in your car until your appointment times due to social distancing guidelines (no need to line up). If you did not make an appointment feel free to walk in between 9am-8pm for your store pick up or check in for curbside!

LET THE NEW ADVENTURES BEGIN!

PlayStation 5/November 12th Xbox/November 10th

8H5ZqSzzZGPn8sWXGZcTeK-970-80.png

As a reminder, if you have an appointment please make sure to have a few things ready for us to serve you.

Essentials You Must Bring With You:
  • Your Government Issued photo ID
  • A copy of your e-mail(printed or on a phone)
  • IMPORTANT: ONLY YOU THE PERSON NAMED ON THE ORDER CAN PICK UP THE GAMING CONSOLE UNLESS A SECONDARY PERSON WAS ADDED FOR PICKUP UNDER FRIENDS/FAMILY.

"

I usually don't purchase from BestBuy, but I was lucky enough to lock in an order properly there; perhaps I missed something? The only option at time of purchase was to either ostensibly have it delivered or to pick it up at my local store. It seemed that shipments were out of stock and for that matter, would come later, so I went with local store. There, the only options were either to come into the store or curbside delivery, when I chose the latter. There was nothing about a specific appointment time on the day of pickup! Is anyone familiar with this?

For anyone who ordered from BestBuy... did they give you some sort of appointment time to pick it up? I received this email from a manager at my local BestBuy to which my PS5 order is linked..

"
Dear Valued Customer,

We are super excited that you chose us REDACTED SPECIFIC BEST BUY STORE to serve you for the amazing Launch of The CONSOLES! This year will are releasing the pre-orders differently, as a very important reminder if you have a appointment come on time. We are making sure everyone is following safety measures due to COVID-19. At your appointment please make sure to bring your Government issue photo ID, copy of your pre-order that was sent to your email. Between the hours of 6am-9am we are only fulfilling order pickup with appointments so please feel free to stay in your car until your appointment times due to social distancing guidelines (no need to line up). If you did not make an appointment feel free to walk in between 9am-8pm for your store pick up or check in for curbside!

LET THE NEW ADVENTURES BEGIN!

PlayStation 5/November 12th Xbox/November 10th

View attachment 297087

As a reminder, if you have an appointment please make sure to have a few things ready for us to serve you.

Essentials You Must Bring With You:
  • Your Government Issued photo ID
  • A copy of your e-mail(printed or on a phone)
  • IMPORTANT: ONLY YOU THE PERSON NAMED ON THE ORDER CAN PICK UP THE GAMING CONSOLE UNLESS A SECONDARY PERSON WAS ADDED FOR PICKUP UNDER FRIENDS/FAMILY.

"

I usually don't purchase from BestBuy, but I was lucky enough to lock in an order properly there; perhaps I missed something? The only option at time of purchase was to either ostensibly have it delivered or to pick it up at my local store. It seemed that shipments were out of stock and for that matter, would come later, so I went with local store. There, the only options were either to come into the store or curbside delivery, when I chose the latter. There was nothing about a specific appointment time on the day of pickup! Is anyone familiar with this?

hmmmm what the hell?

mine was through Best Buy but nothing like that yet. The only recent email I have from them regarding my PS5 pre order was that they are almost ready to ship out and to please verify your payment info to make sure it’s correct as they are about to send them out.

hmmmm what the hell?

mine was through Best Buy but nothing like that yet. The only recent email I have from them regarding my PS5 pre order was that they are almost ready to ship out and to please verify your payment info to make sure it’s correct as they are about to send them out.

I think the difference may be that yours is being shipped, mine is being picked up (curbside, hopefully?). Also, did they charge you on yours early close to time of purchase or did they not do so for you until shipment? That email you describe suggest the latter, but at least for me they charged my card immediately upon order.

both next gen consoles are getting excellent reviews but to me it seems like the PS5 is the one that truly feels like a next gen upgrade...the only complaints about the PS5 seem to be about it's huge size and weird look...other then that it seems the choice is clear...I think Sony is going to win out again

both next gen consoles are getting excellent reviews but to me it seems like the PS5 is the one that truly feels like a next gen upgrade...the only complaints about the PS5 seem to be about it's huge size and weird look...other then that it seems the choice is clear...I think Sony is going to win out again
It’ll be the exclusives that will ultimately determine the winner. The Xbox One exclusives couldn’t hold a candle to the PS4’s. Let’s see if Microsoft steps up their game this gen as it seems like they’re stepping up to the plate with studio acquisitions.

Not like it matters to me anyway since Xbox “exclusives” are on PC where I’ll be playing them.

SSD looks attached to the PCB so can you still upgrade the storage? I have no reason to buy one of these. Game development has halted on every front or cause delays.

SSD looks attached to the PCB so can you still upgrade the storage? I have no reason to buy one of these. Game development has halted on every front or cause delays.

The on-board SSD is soldered to the PCB, but there is an M.2 slot that you can use for expanded storage (presumably at some point you will be able to store PS5 games on an external drive as well but not at launch). However, there are no approved drives yet so nothing will work in that slot until Sony certifies it to do so.

Interesting note about the PS5 version of Star Wars: Squadrons.

It has PSVR support

PS5 games don't work with PSVR

So, Squadrons is a backward compatible PS4 game. There isn't actually a PS5 version. Because of this, it doesn't have a 120fps mode like the Series X version. And its max resolution is lower, matches PS4 pro.

New app on PS4 to remotely control your PS5 and stream your PS5 gameplay to your PS4.

Interesting note about the PS5 version of Star Wars: Squadrons.

It has PSVR support

PS5 games don't work with PSVR

So, Squadrons is a backward compatible PS4 game. There isn't actually a PS5 version. Because of this, it doesn't have a 120fps mode like the Series X version. And its max resolution is lower, matches PS4 pro.
There is a PS5 version but you have to use the PS4 one for VR.

There is a PS5 version but you have to use the PS4 one for VR.
What I'm reading is that EA did not make next gen specific versions of Squadrons. Both the new Xbox and Playstation consoles run the last gen game in BC mode and then receive enhancement patches.

SSD looks attached to the PCB so can you still upgrade the storage? I have no reason to buy one of these.
the stock nvme is not replaceable but it has an expansion slot for a second nvme (that isnt enabled at launch lol)

I think the difference may be that yours is being shipped, mine is being picked up (curbside, hopefully?). Also, did they charge you on yours early close to time of purchase or did they not do so for you until shipment? That email you describe suggest the latter, but at least for me they charged my card immediately upon order.

I wasn't able to successfully get one from Best Buy, but that was the approach I tried. I have a BB down the street and would rather just pick something up than wait on shipping. Trick is, they sold out of all of the pick-up ones instantly. I even debated driving to freakin' Pueblo (2'ish hours away with no traffic/snow) but those were gone, too.

Can someone explain something to me? Did Sony solder the storage of the PS5 onto the board to save cost? I can't for the life of me understand this. I just read that the SSD in the Series X is not only loading slightly faster than the PS5 (before optimizations), but it also i is just a regular M.2 SSD which can be plugged into the motherboard which is nice should you ever need to service the console.

Also I don't understand why the storage size is so strange. 825GB with 667GB of usable space.

Can someone explain something to me? Did Sony solder the storage of the PS5 onto the board to save cost? I can't for the life of me understand this. I just read that the SSD in the Series X is not only loading slightly faster than the PS5 (before optimizations), but it also i is just a regular M.2 SSD which can be plugged into the motherboard which is nice should you ever need to service the console.

Also I don't understand why the storage size is so strange. 825GB with 667GB of usable space.

Yeah, I don't get this one. Although it would probably take years for it to reach the lifespan limit it seems like you'd have issues when it eventually gets there. Not sure why you wouldn't want this to be easily replaceable.

Yeah, I don't get this one. Although it would probably take years for it to reach the lifespan limit it seems like you'd have issues when it eventually gets there. Not sure why you wouldn't want this to be easily replaceable.
I am guessing here but I would bet the "drive" in there is enterprise level for writes. I would also guess, like those PCIe server pull SSDs that went on sale a while back, that the drive is 825GB because there is a 175GB "reserve" space for when drive start having issues with writes. So the drive is probably a full 1TB. 667GB of usable space because Sony reserved 158GB for the OS. On a weird note, my 1TB nvme in my PC, I basically partitioned it to a 159GB OS drive and the rest I used as a fast games drive lol.

Anyone else’s BestBuy order in the US get charged yet?

Just checked my order status right now and it says pre-ordered, will ship by 11/12.
Under payment info, it says “Awaiting Authorization”

Getting close isn’t it ? lol

I am guessing here but I would bet the "drive" in there is enterprise level for writes. I would also guess, like those PCIe server pull SSDs that went on sale a while back, that the drive is 825GB because there is a 175GB "reserve" space for when drive start having issues with writes. So the drive is probably a full 1TB. 667GB of usable space because Sony reserved 158GB for the OS. On a weird note, my 1TB nvme in my PC, I basically partitioned it to a 159GB OS drive and the rest I used as a fast games drive lol.
It also using space for quick resume on games. The Xbox also does it. People have been complaint how the S only has around 350gb of useable space.

They support every multi-channel audio format EXCEPT Atmos and DTS:X. 🙄
At a certain point it's just Sony being defiant. I still don't see how they're going to ever replicate height channels without a comparable format.

Probably both cost and speed. Something soldered onto the board is going to have better access than something in a slot. As for speeds, the Series X seems faster with backwards compat titles. We'll see how things go with actual next gen titles, though I imagine it's going to be a wash either way. The Series drive appears to be a standard M.2 (one of those really tiny ones) but we don't know how user replaceable it is. MS has generally been pretty shitty with how it handles storage and has never made it easy for the end user to replace drives. I wouldn't be surprised if the drive is incredibly locked down and will require a lot of effort from the modding scene to make it replaceable.

like this
Seems like things are moving - I see the FedEx label created in the FedEx app. From "Solutions2 GO" which I think is my Wal-Mart order.

As more time goes on I feel like Microsoft really should have just made the Series S as powerful as the One X but just keep it at $399.

The One S will be the perfect Game Pass device for PlayStation gamers who will want to play Bethesda games in the future.

My guess is it'll be pretty close. Less TFLOPS, but you've still got a new CPU and GPU, NVME SSD, velocity architecture, faster and more memory. Considering every game that works on Series X/S is a current-gen port, the specs are not likely being leveraged to their fullest, where as the One X is. Once we start seeing Series S/X exclusive titles, and devs have had more time with the SDK, I expect the Series S to hold it's own.

like this
My Target order says 11/13-11/18. Is that what they're all saying or is that based upon when the order was placed?
I placed Target PS5 order then told my co-workers about it. Theirs are already shipped and mine has not. So not much rhyme or reason that I can figure.

Probably both cost and speed. Something soldered onto the board is going to have better access than something in a slot. As for speeds, the Series X seems faster with backwards compat titles. We'll see how things go with actual next gen titles, though I imagine it's going to be a wash either way. The Series drive appears to be a standard M.2 (one of those really tiny ones) but we don't know how user replaceable it is. MS has generally been pretty shitty with how it handles storage and has never made it easy for the end user to replace drives. I wouldn't be surprised if the drive is incredibly locked down and will require a lot of effort from the modding scene to make it replaceable.
From the tear down the m.2 slot is a bitch to get too. You pretty much need disassemble the entire thing. The S looks a lot simpler but yea I will assume MS is using something proprietary to keep fr swapping them out with anything but oem parts. Even then it might be a crap shoot.

A while back in one of these threads, I made a comment about how both consoles look crazy and hideous..
Fast forward till now; i watched a YouTube video of an "unboxing" of both systems, and I have to reverse my opinion on the PS5.. It isn't half bad.. and I could see myself owning one of these sexy beasts lol

I think the PS5 looks like a "home of the future" from the 1950's. I'd expect to see one somewhere in the background of Epcot exhibit. It's also monstrous. I'm having to re-arrange my entertainment center to make it fit. The Xbox Series X looks more or less like a small form factor PC. Not exactly sleek and sexy, but I like that aesthetic more.

Back