Official PS5 Thread

I always felt the trigger-wells on the PS4 controller were a little bit sharp and even "pinchy" - are these different?

I’d say so, it feels great. I can’t wait to see all this haptic feedback stuff they keep hyping up. Apparently it’s the real deal and developers can use it many different ways depending on type of game.

I was never able to secure a pre-order, so I guess I might schmooze up the electronics worker at my local PX (I'm overseas military) to see if they're getting any in stock and take leave the morning of launch to secure one. If not, I might try to buy one locally here in Italy since it seems like the consoles are not region locked and so I would assume they're dual-voltage compatible too like my PS4 Pro is, because I def don't want to have any 220V only electronics to go back home with me to the US. I would probably save a bit buying on the economy too I guess since I get stuff tax free here (~30% off since VAT is included in all sticker prices here) so a disk version would only cost me about $410 at the current exchange rate. So I guess I have some research to do and hopefully all PS5s are the same regardless of region.

Anyways, the Dual Sense looks pretty sweet and can't wait to see how they take advantage of it in their future exclusives, as I can totally see it adding to the experience in games like Horizon and God of War next year. $70 for the controller seems pretty good to me too, considering how much more advanced it is over the Dualshock 4, which MSRP's for only $5 less and I would expect you will be able to get this Dual Sense on sale for $45 pretty routinely after a year or so like you can the DS4 now. Plus considering how overpriced Nintendo's Joycons and Pro controller are with less functionality overall.

Got my DualSense 5 controller from Walmart. I preordered on the 22nd and a few days later Walmart automatically price matched it to $20. Not sure what the hell it was price matched to, but I got a brand new DualSense 5 controller for $20 somehow...

I was never able to secure a pre-order, so I guess I might schmooze up the electronics worker at my local PX (I'm overseas military) to see if they're getting any in stock and take leave the morning of launch to secure one. If not, I might try to buy one locally here in Italy since it seems like the consoles are not region locked and so I would assume they're dual-voltage compatible too like my PS4 Pro is, because I def don't want to have any 220V only electronics to go back home with me to the US. I would probably save a bit buying on the economy too I guess since I get stuff tax free here (~30% off since VAT is included in all sticker prices here) so a disk version would only cost me about $410 at the current exchange rate. So I guess I have some research to do and hopefully all PS5s are the same regardless of region.

Anyways, the Dual Sense looks pretty sweet and can't wait to see how they take advantage of it in their future exclusives, as I can totally see it adding to the experience in games like Horizon and God of War next year. $70 for the controller seems pretty good to me too, considering how much more advanced it is over the Dualshock 4, which MSRP's for only $5 less and I would expect you will be able to get this Dual Sense on sale for $45 pretty routinely after a year or so like you can the DS4 now. Plus considering how overpriced Nintendo's Joycons and Pro controller are with less functionality overall.

hopefully your able to get one!
Got my DualSense 5 controller from Walmart. I preordered on the 22nd and a few days later Walmart automatically price matched it to $20. Not sure what the hell it was price matched to, but I got a brand new DualSense 5 controller for $20 somehow...

lol! How the hell did that happen?? Awesome

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
The controller is very good, been using it a few days on my PC even though it lacks support and half the features. It's the best controller I've used. Will be grabbing the new XB controller as well to test it out myself, but so far really happy with the DualSense. Hopefully Steam adds the layout soon so everything can function correctly after mapping it.

The controller is very good, been using it a few days on my PC even though it lacks support and half the features. It's the best controller I've used. Will be grabbing the new XB controller as well to test it out myself, but so far really happy with the DualSense. Hopefully Steam adds the layout soon so everything can function correctly after mapping it.

Does it have to be hard-wired to the PC to work?

Also, does Sony have an exclusive dongle like the Xbox does to work on pc flawlessly?

Does it have to be hard-wired to the PC to work?

Also, does Sony have an exclusive dongle like the Xbox does to work on pc flawlessly?
No, you can use it over bluetooth. But there is zero support on any launcher, the only way to get it to function partially is Steam Controller Configuration and it is recognized as a XBox controller on Steam. So right now the missing features due to no support is haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, and touch pad.

I reached out to Sony about a dongle and they said they don't have one yet but may in the future. I'm guessing there needs to be enough demand for it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
No, you can use it over bluetooth. But there is zero support on any launcher, the only way to get it to function partially is Steam Controller Configuration and it is recognized as a XBox controller on Steam. So right now the missing features due to no support is haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, and touch pad.

I reached out to Sony about a dongle and they said they don't have one yet but may in the future. I'm guessing there needs to be enough demand for it.

Even if Valve finds a way to add support for those features via Steam, things like full haptic feedback and the adaptive triggers will likely need to be supported by individual games. Either by the game itself or through mods.

Even if Valve finds a way to add support for those features via Steam, things like full haptic feedback and the adaptive triggers will likely need to be supported by individual games. Either by the game itself or through mods.
Yea I know but it could probably work with Sony first party titles that they release on Steam/Epic. Guessing we won't see much of the feature on PC unfortunately.

Sony does have a official dongle for the PS4 controller: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-DualShock-4-Wireless-Adaptor-playstation/dp/B01KWLKKQU
Unfortunately they're pretty rare and people are gouging for them these days. I'm hopeful they'll work with the PS5 controller, though.

DAMN WTF? So this is one of those things thats just super rare and everyone is charging an arm and a leg for a new one eh ?

Im assuming this stupid thing was like $25-$30 like the Xbox one for PC?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
DAMN WTF? So this is one of those things thats just super rare and everyone is charging an arm and a leg for a new one eh ?

Im assuming this stupid thing was like $25-$30 like the Xbox one for PC?

When it first came out I bought one for $20 on Amazon. I can only guess Sony bailed on the concept or something. Not only do they work flawlessly, they add support for the touch pad and even the speakers within the controller.
Microsoft's is around the same amount, although occasionally you'll see Xbox One controllers bundled with their dongle for $60.

The thing is, the dongle was unnecessary. It's just a bluetooth device that needs drivers. So people worked around it via free programs like DS4Windows. IMO Sony didn't want to make official drivers for any BT connected DS4, so they just built themselves a dongle for it so they could charge people for it. Just look at DS4 windows, it supports all the features of the DS4 with the exception of the speaker. Similarly games that natively support the DS4 (like Vigil the Longest night) are suppose to work with steam controller/DS4Windows off, but at least for me, over BT it recognizes it, but all the axis and buttons are all screwed up. I would guess the Devs are using the DS4 SDK from Sony for native support, so all the buttons and axis are in enumerated differently unless you have their dongle and drivers to fix that. You can still use steam controller/ds4windows but you have to pick XB360 controller for it to work.

The thing is, the dongle was unnecessary. It's just a bluetooth device that needs drivers. So people worked around it via free programs like DS4Windows. IMO Sony didn't want to make official drivers for any BT connected DS4, so they just built themselves a dongle for it so they could charge people for it. Just look at DS4 windows, it supports all the features of the DS4 with the exception of the speaker. Similarly games that natively support the DS4 (like Vigil the Longest night) are suppose to work with steam controller/DS4Windows off, but at least for me, over BT it recognizes it, but all the axis and buttons are all screwed up. I would guess the Devs are using the DS4 SDK from Sony for native support, so all the buttons and axis are in enumerated differently unless you have their dongle and drivers to fix that. You can still use steam controller/ds4windows but you have to pick XB360 controller for it to work.

I've tried all of those DS4 solutions and every single one of them drops inputs. I tried on 2 different PC's and 3 different Bluetooth adapters, including the supposed best adapters on the market as of 2019. In fighting games, where you have a boatloads of inputs in quick succession, certain moves don't consistently work. In particular, trying to get a move that requires a pair of 270 degree rotations and 3 button presses only worked about 1/3 of the time. With Sony's solution, it works every time. Whatever they included in that dongle is better than normal Bluetooth + DS4. Better range, too.

Picked up my pulse headset this morning from walmart (Canada), bestbuy has also started billing peoples CC for ps5 pre-orders

Picked up my pulse headset this morning from walmart (Canada), bestbuy has also started billing peoples CC for ps5 pre-orders

Nice.

Hmm, gotta check to see if Bestbuy billed yet. Will update thread. I know they officially have them in store, in hiding here in CA lol. One of my clients works at best buy, sent me a photo haha.

EDIT: Nope, havent been charged yet.

Last edited:
Nice.

Hmm, gotta check to see if Bestbuy billed yet. Will update thread. I know they officially have them in store, in hiding here in CA lol. One of my clients works at best buy, sent me a photo haha.

EDIT: Nope, havent been charged yet.
Haha that sucks, also one thing to note they have only billed people in Canada for the disc version. Reports are saying that BB Canada won't be charging for the digital version till the 11th when they ship out.

I've tried all of those DS4 solutions and every single one of them drops inputs. I tried on 2 different PC's and 3 different Bluetooth adapters, including the supposed best adapters on the market as of 2019. In fighting games, where you have a boatloads of inputs in quick succession, certain moves don't consistently work. In particular, trying to get a move that requires a pair of 270 degree rotations and 3 button presses only worked about 1/3 of the time. With Sony's solution, it works every time. Whatever they included in that dongle is better than normal Bluetooth + DS4. Better range, too.
And for whatever reason, Dualshock 3 and 4 are lower latency over wireless, than wired. At least when used with their respective consoles, PS3 and 4. Dualshock 3 wireless to PS3 is actually one of the lowest latency controllers ever.

And for whatever reason, Dualshock 3 and 4 are lower latency over wireless, than wired. At least when used with their respective consoles, PS3 and 4. Dualshock 3 wireless to PS3 is actually one of the lowest latency controllers ever.

Source/link? Can't find anything on that. I've read that the DS4 polls its gyro sensor at 250Hz or something like that over wired vs 60Hz over wireless (at least over BT on PC - may be 250Hz still to PS4 or with that official PC adapter) though.

All you with the Pulse headsets already, please report your findings as far as comfort and sound quality, esp. compared to the current Sony Gold headset if you have that or maybe the WH1000-XM3/4s if you happen to have those as well (as I do). I hope they're at least close to my XM3s, as my Gold headset gets a bit uncomfortable to me after an hour or so.

Source/link? Can't find anything on that. I've read that the DS4 polls its gyro sensor at 250Hz or something like that over wired vs 60Hz over wireless (at least over BT on PC - may be 250Hz still to PS4 or with that official PC adapter) though.

All you with the Pulse headsets already, please report your findings as far as comfort and sound quality, esp. compared to the current Sony Gold headset if you have that or maybe the WH1000-XM3/4s if you happen to have those as well (as I do). I hope they're at least close to my XM3s, as my Gold headset gets a bit uncomfortable to me after an hour or so.
Here are two links showing the Dualshock 4's average latency over bluetooth is about 3ms with a good bluetooth dongle on a PC

I couldn't find any tests but its likely a bit lower on an actual PS4. Also note that the first version of the DS4 was always wireless. connected USB only charged. not data transfer. The 2nd version of the DS4 disables wireless when USB is connected, by default. But there is an option in the PS4 menus, to only use USB for charging and keep the wireless active.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RocketLeag...put_lag_comparison_more_info_in_the/?sort=old

https://medium.com/@WydD/controller-input-lag-how-to-measure-it-1ebfd2c9d60

I also could not find the data I once saw on the dualshock 3 connected to a PS3 over bluetooth. But I wanna say it was 2ms or less. It was on a fighting game site/forum somewhere. Where they are really worried about such things.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Guys if you're still looking for PS5 pre-order Walmart will be doing another batch of pre-orders for the PS5 online Thursday 11/12 at 12 PM, 3 PM, 6 PM, or 9 PM ET.

link
Isn't 11/12 release day? Those would be normal (non-pre) orders wouldn't they :p ?

Isn't 11/12 release day? Those would be normal (non-pre) orders wouldn't they :p ?
Correct, but what are the chances of actually walking into a store and buying one on the release date or any time soon? PS5 and Xbox series x are the hot items this Christmas

Correct, but what are the chances of actually walking into a store and buying one on the release date or any time soon? PS5 and Xbox series x are the hot items this Christmas

Pretty slim. There will be some...but definitely not many. Just thought it was funny because of the term "pre-order" after they're already in the wild.

New info drop from Sony on Youtube, nothing major but getting close!

"3D Audio is an innovative, new feature than can be experienced through headphones." (n)
So much for that fancy new tech being better than MS's Atmos implementation. Hopefully they just omitted the option to use speakers, but I'm betting not.

There is literally a zero percent chance of getting one in stores on launch as Sony announced that none will be on shelves and it will be limited to online orders. Some stores have announced that they won't be stocking systems on shelves until next year.

"3D Audio is an innovative, new feature than can be experienced through headphones." (n)
So much for that fancy new tech being better than MS's Atmos implementation. Hopefully they just omitted the option to use speakers, but I'm betting not.
Sony said a couple weeks ago (I think, could have been less) that support for TV speakers would come later.

Got the email from best buy stating to make sure the card on file is correct as they are about to charge and ship out the pre orders!

My Amazon order updated to arriving on launch day (no prime, 2 day shipping). Target preorder sucks so no updates there sadly.

I already got one of the extra PS5 controllers a few days ago , have the other peripherals on its way but no system or games 😐

Wow, I think Sony really fucked up with this one. Really disappointing.

They better patch in support within 30 days and not lag this for months.

https://www.ign.com/articles/ps5-wont-support-ssd-expandable-storage-at-launch

There are, what, two controllers on market that can even get close to the speeds Sony requires? Remember, internal drives must both match the speeds of the PS5’s internal controller but also be compatible with it. All drives have to be certified. Earlier this year Mark Cerny said that there would be no drives approved by launch.

You can still use external drives, however.

My Amazon order updated to arriving on launch day (no prime, 2 day shipping). Target preorder sucks so no updates there sadly.

My Target order says 11/13-11/18. Is that what they're all saying or is that based upon when the order was placed?

Last edited:
Looks like mine is on track for launch. Genuinely surprised that Gamestop didn't royally fucking it up.

3B647123-7DE3-4005-ACA3-AF35790D62AC.jpeg
FINALLY! Local Walmart got like 4 in stock only available for in-store pickup for some reason. Rushed in and got one.

these damn things are impossible to find right now

Back