Official BenQ FP241W Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews

The Z version is supposed to be 100 bucks more, but it's not doing a lot for fast paced videos so... I'll go for the nonZ version...

still waiting for that review !! :D

DangerIsGo said:
Mine just shipped. :)

sweeeeeet!

like you promised, PICTURES, PICTURES, PICTURES!

DO you have anything like an xbox 360 or a HDTV set top box you could hook up to the component input?

That is my biggest dealmaker/breaker with this LCD

No, NONE of my money has gone to support microsoft in anyway nor will it ever. I contemplate about getting a used xbox 360 and games from like ebgames so microsoft doesnget my money, but then i hear that they get something..so i dont know. I dont have any HD stuff but I live on a tech campus..im sure ONE of my friends has something! Well see. Oh, by the way, it will get here tomrrow as I just checked UPS's time and transit and inputted the info about where i live, where it came from, weight and even ground will get here tomorrow so..:D

I can't wait to see a real review of this monitor and if it looks good I will be getting one myself.

Hi there finally this monitor is on sale :) in the US. I am living in The Netherlands and was informed that most likely the monitor will be introduced here at the end of November beginning of December wich is quit long. Would you know of a company which ships to Europe and has a good price for the FP241W? Furthermore is the monitor the same in the US as it will be in Europe? It has analog video inputs and we use PAL system here vs NTSC in the US. Furthermore the power is in Europ 230V / 50Hz and in the US 110V / 60Hz.

Hope someone has some info so that I can have the monitor a bit faster then December.

Thanks,

Ronald

Yeah, I wondered the same thing. I'm New Zealand and want this monitor now. I'm really dont want to wait to december/january.

Cliff Couser said:
i'm too lazy to check if this review has been linked.

but damn!!!! perfect 10 in ALL categories?!!

http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=3425
Did you see the discussion linked to the article: http://www.trustedreviews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1276

I dont know if I like the sounds of the comments in post #10. He implies thats 1080i/1080p content will be stretched to fill the complete 1920x1200, rather than letter boxing it and displaying only using 1920x1080 pixels. I hope this isnt true... I'd much rather use actual pixels.

Any chance it'll be HDMI/HCDP 1.3?? With the color support?

I kinda saw myself waiting for Samsung to release a 24" LCD with that 97% color reproduction... A pipe dream... Sigh...

I like the FP241WZ ... I think it'll be worth the extra money...

kornkob said:
Did you see the discussion linked to the article: http://www.trustedreviews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1276

I dont know if I like the sounds of the comments in post #10. He implies thats 1080i/1080p content will be stretched to fill the complete 1920x1200, rather than letter boxing it and displaying only using 1920x1080 pixels. I hope this isnt true... I'd much rather use actual pixels.

Good point - this would be deal breaker for me, as movies being stretched drives me nuts. Maybe I am assuming here, but it sounds like this was the guy that did the review, and he is basically confirming the lack of 1:1 pixel mapping. He says that when he hooked up an xbox, the "Xbox 360 output is scaled to fill the screen."

So following that logic, if you hooked up an external dvd player to this, such as one of those upconverting dvd players that have HDMI, what would happen to the signal? What would happen if you played a 4:3 movie on this monitor? Would it stretch?

Is this done on perpose so people wont want to use computer monitors for TV? making the consumer go out and by an lcd hdtv instead. Talking about the scaling.

Are you guys being a little over picky? It's only a 20-line difference between this monitor's native resolution and 1080p.

Does having HDMI 1.3 support really matter? Isn't it intended for higher resolutions?

I used the XBox 360 hooked up to the dell 2407wfp and it looked fine.

Edit: Sorry, I can't do math apparently. I meant a 120-line difference, which is a bit more significant than I thought at first.

pNin01 said:
Are you guys being a little over picky? It's only a 20-line difference between this monitor's native resolution and 1080p.

Does having HDMI 1.3 support really matter? Isn't it intended for higher resolutions?

I used the XBox 360 hooked up to the dell 2407wfp and it looked fine.

what about my xbox or gamecube? i don't want those stretched to fit the screen, and i don't think i'm being picky.

blackseed said:
Good point - this would be deal breaker for me, as movies being stretched drives me nuts. Maybe I am assuming here, but it sounds like this was the guy that did the review, and he is basically confirming the lack of 1:1 pixel mapping. He says that when he hooked up an xbox, the "Xbox 360 output is scaled to fill the screen."
Yep, thats the way I read it also.

So following that logic, if you hooked up an external dvd player to this, such as one of those upconverting dvd players that have HDMI, what would happen to the signal? What would happen if you played a 4:3 movie on this monitor? Would it stretch?
Yep, thats my guess. I'm not that concerned about upconverting DVD players, but HD-DVD or BluRay or PS3 producing a native 1080p picture.

pNin01 said:
Dont get me wrong, I'm sure it'll still be a good picture - but we're talking the difference between a good picture with minor stretching and a pixel perfect picture, which this monitor is entirely capable of. It would be disappoint to come so close, but stumble at this final hurdle...

pNin01 said:
I'm not that concerned about HDMI 1.3.

phreak144 said:
what about my xbox or gamecube? i don't want those stretched to fit the screen, and i don't think i'm being picky.
If you will be using an xbox and gcn or wii, then you better forget LCDs altogether if you want no stretching.

Actually the Dell 2407 and the NEC20WMGX2 do aspect ratio control. I think the some of the HP / Gateway monitors do as well, but I havent verified which ones.

I'm assuming if you played a HDDVD or Bluray (or even 4:3 DVD) through the computer there would be no problem with the pixel mapping then, correct?

Actually HDMI 1.3 will not do any good, since most of the advantages are on the audio side and this monitor doesn't have integrated speakers :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#HDMI_1.3

For the video, v1.3 allows you to go 30/36/48bits (from 24bits) , but again, you don't care since this screen is 8bpp ( 8x3=24bits ).

HDMI : Case closed !

ronaldvr said:
Hi there finally this monitor is on sale :) Furthermore the power is in Europ 230V / 50Hz and in the US 110V / 60Hz.
Ronald
Power supply of the BenQ should be like the dell 2407wfp/2405fpw, should be universal, all voltage 100-120/220-240v 50/60Hz supported.. only difference will be the wire plug to the wall socket.

Well its 2:30 in the morning and I should get my monitor in about...14 hours...:D Its shipped and I have the tracking number! Good about living in NJ = cheap, fast shipping (even ground gets here in a day so you dont have to pay for overnight shipping) bad = Newegg taxes kill prices :(

Its funny how I saw the thread had a new reply...and i bet myself that someone said 'I hate you' :p

DangerIsGo said:
Its funny how I saw the thread had a new reply...and i bet myself that someone said 'I hate you' :p

I also hate you :)

Although I've sorta crossed this monitor off my list as I was intending on using it to play both PC and Wii games, and the stretch issue for the Wii input concerns me :(

Let me know how it goes though man, it looks really great, can't wait for your review.

By the way, do you have any idea how lucky Americans are to have a site like newegg? Why oh why won't they ship to Canada :(

DangerIsGo said:
HAHA - Yeah well when you have the latest and greatest it's to be expected. I have a funny feeling that this is going to be an awesome monitor. Congrats on your purchase. I too shall have one soon hopefully. Just need to sell my 2005FPW.

rabhw said:
By the way, do you have any idea how lucky Americans are to have a site like newegg? Why oh why won't they ship to Canada :(
Primarily because they don't want to do the extra work. That's what various US-only e-tailers have said when I ask them. They don't like dealing with Canadian credit cards and "shipping headaches". Very lame, very lazy. Other companies seem to do just fine.

BTW, NCIX has the monitor for $950-ish CDN, I believe.

Arkham said:
Primarily because they don't want to do the extra work. That's what various US-only e-tailers have said when I ask them. They don't like dealing with Canadian credit cards and "shipping headaches". Very lame, very lazy. Other companies seem to do just fine.

BTW, NCIX has the monitor for $950-ish CDN, I believe.

Yeah, its kinda sad. And yeah, I had this monitor pre-ordered on NCIX back in September when they were supposed to come in, then I cancelled it after the date changed to "Late November", and now its changed to "1st week October" (in very limited quantities).

I'm not really sure where to look next for a monitor I can use for PC / Wii / SDTV input with a tuner.

rabhw said:
Yeah, its kinda sad. And yeah, I had this monitor pre-ordered on NCIX back in September when they were supposed to come in, then I cancelled it after the date changed to "Late November", and now its changed to "1st week October" (in very limited quantities).

I'm not really sure where to look next for a monitor I can use for PC / Wii / SDTV input with a tuner.
I wouldn't worry about it so much. LCDs, DLPs, and Plasmas all have fixed native resolutions and will all stretch the Wii image. You would have to buy one of these screens with a resolution of 480p to not have any stretching (or a CRT), and I'm guessing that is impossible. Since all Wii games will support widescreen, I wouldn't worry about whether the monitor will stretch a 4:3 to 16:10 either unless you play some GCN games that don't support widescreen. Of course we have to wait for DangerIsGo's tests to determine if the monitor does this or not. I played my GCN on a 1280x1024 LCD monitor using a component to VGA adapter, and although there may have been some degradation, it looked infinitely better than on a TV. You are trying to put everything on an $800 monitor, so you can't expect too much. If you want it all, you have to go for an HDTV and spend over a thousand.

So, unresolved issues about this monitor are...
1:1 pixel mapping
stretching non-widescreen to fit the native screen ratio
highest supported resolution over component (how can you ever determine this?)

xbox 360 will be doing 1080i soon and it only has component to ouput video. So, that means component can do 1080i.

Anyway, I just ordered BenQ FP241W last night from Newegg. When I get it, I'll write up a short review. I'm a FPS gamer (Quake, fast-pace), an artist, and a developer.

I currently own a 19 inch LCD ViewSonic VP191b. Anybody wants it? Selling for $300, excellent condition. Orlando, Florida.

chris.c said:
Looking forward to the review. If it doesn't stretch DVDs I'm buying it :p
Of course its going to stretch DVDs. DVD resolution is 720x480 (or 720x576 for PAL). The monitor has a resolution of 1920x1200.

More of an issues is what it will do with 1080p content, which has a resolution of 1920x1080. I'm hoping it'll use 1920x1080 pixels to display it, with small black bars at the top and the bottom. ie, 1:1 pixel mapping.

Of course, you could just be hoping that when DVD is shown stretched on this monitor, that it will be stretched to the correct aspect ratio (ie a 16:9 DVD will have small black bars at the top and bottom, rather than stretched and distorted to 16:10, much the same as my desire with 1080p)?

Oh btw, I do a lot of gaming (q4, HL2, CS:S, HL:LC (for test)) and Ill show up some HQ movies, DVD rips, along with some nice images. not forgetting banding/color tests. Anything else im forgetting besides the component/HDMI input whcih im STILL looking for some kind of HD source :(

DieHardcc said:
xbox 360 will be doing 1080i soon and it only has component to ouput video. So, that means component can do 1080i.

Anyway, I just ordered BenQ FP241W last night from Newegg. When I get it, I'll write up a short review. I'm a FPS gamer (Quake, fast-pace), an artist, and a developer.

I currently own a 19 inch LCD ViewSonic VP191b. Anybody wants it? Selling for $300, excellent condition. Orlando, Florida.
The 360 can already do 1080i on games that support it, but soon it will do 1080p on all games and DVDs. But it will only display 1080p over the VGA cable, not the component cable. But there was news that came out yesterday that confirmed the 360 has support for digital video cables (DVI, HDMI) as well but there just aren't any cables available and probably won't be any cables available until the HDCP protection is commonplace on HD-DVDs.

Back