Oblivion, where to store your stuff.

peacetilence

2[H]4U
I was using a dresser at the mages guild to store all my alchemy stuff, came back to it and it had all been replaced by a shirt and a pair of pants. Is this normal or has the game screwed up somehow? It's been freezing on exit and crashing on autosaves lately. I had 7 nirnroot plants in there and I dont think I can get them back now since they're so rare. I am now worried that none of my stuff will be saved properly.

You need to store things in an owned chest/house/whatever for them to not disappear.

Some mage is probably setaling your stuff. Or upon seeing someone else's junk in their locker, they toss it in the garbage. :p

You can't store stuff in things you don't own I believe. I think you need to buy a house and furnish it with stuff so you can store things.

EDIT: Dang it... beat again. hehe

Yep, the radiantAI will have some other mage take your stuff and sell it to a vendor for gold.

Ah that's what I thought, I am so angry that I am going to set up some stuff in there and spy on who sleeps in there then them out as soon as I get the chance.

Aside from that being just wrong... it's kinda funny too, no offense of course. ;)

Just the idea that an NPC will take your stuff and sell it. lol

Yeah it's hilarious if they actually steal the stuff. Really adds another element to the game. I am not so sure they actually steal the stuff instead of some timer going off that automatically replaces everything with preset items though.

This is why I just carry all my stuff around. Even if I did have a house of my own I'd be aftaid some NPC thief would break into my house and steal my stuff. Although I am part of the thieves guild so I'd be protected against theft.

Moose777 said:
This is why I just carry all my stuff around. Even if I did have a house of my own I'd be aftaid some NPC thief would break into my house and steal my stuff. Although I am part of the thieves guild so I'd be protected against theft.

They're thieves and criminals... and so are you. What's trustworthy about that? hehe

In the bonus DVD they talk about problems they had with the Radiant AI. In one case one of the NPC's really like armor. So he went around town buying up every piece of armor in the town so there was none left for the player :D.

If you store stuff in your house though it should be safe, I haven't heard of anyone having their stuff stolen from their house.

I wonder what would happen if you owned the waterfront house and didn't belong to the theives guild. I bet you'd be jacked!

We can unlock doors with keys, spells, and lockpicks, so why the heck can't we lock the doors?

So are you guys sure your house can't get broken into? And is there any advantage to having a more expensive house than the one at the waterfront? I have like $9k at my disposal.

I'm currently storing some expensive stuff I can't yet really use on the FLOOR in the arena training room, its been there forever so I don't think it's going to be stolen, but I don't like this method at all.

With this game, we're not sure of anything. :p

If I were you, I'd feel a lot more comfortable locking stuff in a trunk in a house that I owned, instead of just throwing them on the floor.

Like someone mentioned above, one of the rules of the Thieve's Guild is that you do not steal from other members. Of course, you could always pay the fine after stealing from another member, but that's besides the point! :D

Oh, and that doesn't stop non-guild members from stealing from you either.

When I was killing bandits and looting shit in a cave some adventurer orc guy in uber armor came in and started attacking the bandit I was running from(I had run out of arrows and was backtracking to find a melee weapon).

I just haven't bought a house yet because the one on the waterfront looks shitty, and I'll never get female NPCs to follow me back there! :p

I'd like to know where you are all getting the money to buy houses and stuff. I had $2400 it was just enough to buy the waterfront property. Now I'm broke. I did a little experiment though, I tossed some stuff on the floor that I'm not too concerned about and left for two days. Came back and all my stuff was still there.

Now, to continue the experiment I threw some valuable stuff on the floor. I'm gonna case my own house and see which NPC tries to break into, then I'm gonna kill him.

And am I the only one who is getting really tired of taking on these quests from teh NPCs and have them tell you, "You are going to make a lot of money." only at the end of the whole quest they give you $120 gold pieces? That pisses me off. I go to great lengths to do stuff for these people and end up travelling all over the damn map to find their stupid trinkets or to kill people they want killed. I spend my own money to outfit for these quests and then when its all said and done, the assclown says..."Oh yeah, heres that brass with pearl ring I promised you. Its worth $120."

Makes me want to shove my mace down his friggin' throat; too bad there is an imperial guard patrolling the street outside this guys door, cause I almost got killed for a ring that appraises at $120 but I'll be lucky if I see $80 at one of the damn merchants.

Speaking of NPCs I'm surprised no one has taken screen shots of NPCs in weird poses after they've been killed and looted.

I got a lot of money fighting in the Arena... And also a lot from stealing everything that isn't nailed down and reselling it. I'm disapointed though that if I break into a castle or something and steal from the nobility that they don't have incredibly valuable items just sitting around. I make better money killing a bunch of bandits and then selling their gear.

gurgle said:
Dungeon crawls + Alchemy + Thieving = Mad L00t

Yeah, I just stole some alchemy gear and it seems like a good way to make money...

Thats how I make most of my loot is by creating potions that I have no intention on using and then reselling them.

Dungeon Crawls are creepy so I only go into them when I'm on a quest or when I'm really desperate for cash.

I think you guys are giving the Radiant AI too much credit. I think that your stuff just disappears because their is probably a check performed everytime you open a container that you do not own. Whatever was there, before you placed your stuff in there, probably just replaces your own loot after a certain amount of time. I don't think you'll find that anyone is "stealing" it. And, the manual even warns you not to place your belongings in containers that you do not own...but it does not mention why it will disappear...only that it may disappear. This also happened in Morrowind.

But I could be wrong...sorry if I'm talking out of my ass.

What if you kill the owners of said house?

I need to go buy a house...I've got some stuff that's worth too much for me to be able to sell right now (a piece of armor worth 3900, a ring worth 2200, a couple items my fence can't go over 600 for...)

I've made an ungodly amount of loot in the past 2 days. Monday morning I had 5500. This morning I had 47539 the final stages of the dark brotherhood gave me about 3k worth of stuff + Getting the keys to the leyawiin guard tower and killing a dozen guards and reselling their armor, + making expert alchemist and never using any potions. I routinely make 3000 in potions made from alchemy just from a few hours of stealing every edible item I can find.

I've found nothing good from stealing from shop owners...I've made it all from killing and pickpocketing.

Hell, this morning, some punk orc wasn't nice to me, so I killed him. Got 5000 worth of gear (that I sold...I have no use for heavy orc armor!) + a glass sword of ass kicking off him alone.

Actually, back on track, I read that the AI will not steal from you. Bethesda said that the AI could do it, but it was disabled because they thought it'd be confused with a bug too often.

So wait, the NPCs won't steal from you? I met an Orc on a bridge yesterday who threatened to kill me if I didn't give him my gold. And he said, "Good, I'd rather kill you and loot you." I quickly dismounted my horse and put a Heat Wave blast to his grill and sent his flaming lifeless corpse flying over the side of the bridge into the water below.

So there really is no need to worry about being robbed while traveling outside of the city?

Highway robbery, I think, is treated differently. I think what Bethesda did is disable the ability for NPC's to steal your stuff that is in storage or dropped. It didin't kill their ability to rob.

I just drop all my extra stuff on the ground in the market district. It's still sitting there after 18 hours of gameplay (a few weeks in game time). No one touches it. Stuff stored in containers that you don't own, though, is risky. Your stuff may get deleted. Just drop it on the ground if you don't own a house. But, then again, if its anything like Morrowind - you're dropped items might get deleted. However, mine haven't yet.

Just use the boat in Imperial City Waterfront. A Dark Elf NPC tells you to stay off her boat or she will kill you. Just hop on the boat and let the guards take care of her. After that you have a free bed and storage chest.

I've been using it for 40+ hours of game time with no issues.

OR, use this mod:
http://www.tessource.net/files/file.php?id=1882

edit: The only thing an NPC has stolen from me was my horse. I came out of a cave just in time to see him riding off with it :mad:

well I'm up to 25k gold... Bought the house in Bruma for 10k and its not even furnished at all, completely empty. Maybe I'll get the one in Anvil or somewhere else instead.

I finally found the 2000 gold one in the imperial city. There's this shop in the market district that handles various city affairs (can't remember the name, but i know it's the only non-goods shop in that area).

The house ends up being one of the shacks in the waterfront area - it's where all the bums stay. Total cost to furnish it ends up being like 2500-3000 plus the 2000 to buy the house itself.

It seems like ANY other place other than a house you've bought, will cause your items to disappear after 3 days.

The key to storing stuff somewhere besides your house is simple:

DO NOT PUT IT IN A CONTAINER, DO PUT IT IN A BUILDING.

If you leave it on the floor, it won't go anywhere. If you want to be really safe, leave it on the ground in a room that never gets any traffic.

A really good place to do this is the headquarters you leave Martin at once you reach a certain place in the main storyline. None of the guys there are thieves, and even if they were there are no vendors in that area for them to sell your stuff to. Long as you leave it on the floor it won't disappear.

There is code that repopulates chests that you don't own and that is why stuff disappears from chests. There is no code addressing items laying on the floor...

I just keep my stuff on the floor of Guild houses or the Blades building. I dump it on the floor until I need to sell it or use it. I haven't had anything stolen yet.

.Wiggles. said:
hope u dont need to find anything LOL looks like my room
LOL

I was thinking the same thing. When I bought the house in Imperial City it took me several days to come up with the money to furnish it so I tossed everything ontot he floor but I made neat piles of like items.

Silver weaponry went in one pile, iron in another, steel in another, Dwarven weapon went in another. I did the same thing for the armor.

berzerker said:
I just keep my stuff on the floor of Guild houses or the Blades building. I dump it on the floor until I need to sell it or use it. I haven't had anything stolen yet.

Man, that's great.... I'm not the only one. The arena training room basicly looks like that for me... I have enchanted weapons/armor in one area, regular weapons/armor, alchemy, nirnoots, potions and scrolls...

Well I think it may have happened, gentlemen... I go into the arena to drop off some gear and I notice the guy who is always doing target practice with the bow now has a STAFF, and I don't see any staffs on the ground... Either that or he thinks he is some kind of mage now and is going to try to kill me.

Can someone share some more information about this Radiant AI? Sorry it's the first time I've heard of such a thing.

.Wiggles. said:
hope u dont need to find anything LOL looks like my room

Yeah, I know. :p

Most of it is stuff I should sell to NPCs, but I haven't gotten around to it. I just keep questing, dump loot and start another quest. I'm sure organizing everything in neat piles would probably take longer than the time it takes for me to find something, which doesn't happen often. Probably 90% of the stuff isn't even worth looting in the first place and I haven't run into money troubles yet, but somehow it doesn't seem right to go through all the dungeons and missions without picking anything up. I do leave most of the junk in the crates and sacks though, unless it's gold or lockpicks.

sakurakana1003 said:
Can someone share some more information about this Radiant AI? Sorry it's the first time I've heard of such a thing.

The Radiant AI is the system that drives the NPCs to act in the world even when you aren't there. So, a theif NPC could randomly steal your items if you don't keep them somewhere safe. They also steal from other NPCs, theoretically.

Radiant A.I. Wiki
Radiant A.I. Interview

From the Wiki:

Radiant AI works by giving NPCs a list of goals. Nothing else is scripted. They must decide how to achieve these goals by themselves based on their individual statistics. A hungry NPC might compare his current gold against his moral values to decide whether he will walk to a store and purchase food, or just steal it; a skilled archer can choose to hunt his own deer.

The following are examples of unexpected behavior discovered during early testing:
  • One character was given a rake and the goal "rake leaves"; another was given a broom and the goal "sweep paths," and this worked smoothly. Then they swapped the items, so that the raker was given a broom and the sweeper was given the rake. In the end, one of them killed the other so he could get the proper item.
  • Another test had an on-duty NPC guard become hungry. The guard went into the forest to hunt for food. The other guards also left to arrest the truant guard, leaving the town unprotected. The villager NPCs then looted all of the shops, due to the lack of law enforcement.
  • In one Dark Brotherhood quest, the player can meet up with a shady merchant who sells skooma, an in-game drug. During testing, the NPC would be dead when the player got to him. The reason was that NPCs from the local skooma den were trying to get their fix, didn't have any money, and so were killing the merchant to get it.
  • While testing to confirm that the physics models for a magical item known as the "Skull of Corruption," which creates an evil copy of the character/monster it is used on, were working properly, a tester dropped the item on the ground. An NPC immediately picked it up and used it on the player character, creating a copy of him that proceeded to kill every NPC in sight.

oneils said:
I think you guys are giving the Radiant AI too much credit.

Yep, people are just buying into the hype a bit too much. The game resets NPC containers inside buildings every so often, you can store stuff there for a little while, but eventually it just gets reset/juggled with some more random items. Definitely a bad idea to store stuff there over the long term.

However, I have dropped items on the floor/ground of various places, and my items have stayed there after probably 40-50 hours of gameplay. Leaving stuff on the floor is probably safer than in a box you don't own. Best idea is to just buy a house and have some peace of mind.

berzerker said:
Yeah, I know. :p

Most of it is stuff I should sell to NPCs, but I haven't gotten around to it. I just keep questing, dump loot and start another quest. I'm sure organizing everything in neat piles would probably take longer than the time it takes for me to find something, which doesn't happen often. Probably 90% of the stuff isn't even worth looting in the first place and I haven't run into money troubles yet, but somehow it doesn't seem right to go through all the dungeons and missions without picking anything up. I do leave most of the junk in the crates and sacks though, unless it's gold or lockpicks.

The Radiant AI is the system that drives the NPCs to act in the world even when you aren't there. So, a theif NPC could randomly steal your items if you don't keep them somewhere safe. They also steal from other NPCs, theoretically.

Radiant A.I. Wiki
Radiant A.I. Interview

From the Wiki:
Thats awesome. I want to see a whole slew of NPCs kill each other.

So if I steal something that an NPC 'needs', he could kill another NPC to get it again? :eek:

t3mp said:
Just use the boat in Imperial City Waterfront. A Dark Elf NPC tells you to stay off her boat or she will kill you. Just hop on the boat and let the guards take care of her. After that you have a free bed and storage chest.

I've been using it for 40+ hours of game time with no issues.

OR, use this mod:
http://www.tessource.net/files/file.php?id=1882

edit: The only thing an NPC has stolen from me was my horse. I came out of a cave just in time to see him riding off with it :mad:

i second this i have been using the captains storage chest for 20+ hours of game play, and about 50 days in game and every thing is still there.

Back