Nvme ? what is this connector ?

BrainEater

[H]ard|Gawd
nvme1.jpg

Hmmm...

This pic is from a supermicro X11DPi-nt motherboard.
The connectors in question are the silver ones.You can even see the 'nvme' tags on the mobo .
What are these ? They sorta look like e-sata...

The manual is no help, I cannot find similar ones anywhere.
Thoughts ?

View attachment 40066
Hmmm...

This pic is from a supermicro X11DPi-nt motherboard.
The connectors in question are the silver ones.You can even see the 'nvme' tags on the mobo .
What are these ? They sorta look like e-sata...

The manual is no help, I cannot find similar ones anywhere.
Thoughts ?

I believe they are the 2 PCI-E 3.0 NVMExpress x4 Internal Port(s) that they reference on their webpage for that board. Supermicro has some chassis that have removable NVMe 2.5" HDD bays I believe these are ports for those.

Yeah, I just looked at the Manual and that's what they are. They are listed as JNVME2 and JNVME1 on the Motherboard layout image in the manual.

Here is a link to a review of a board w/ similar connectors: https://www.servethehome.com/supermicro-x11dai-n-workstation-server-motherboard-review/

And the type of chassis I was referring to: https://www.servethehome.com/supermicro-superstorage-ssg-5029p-e1ctr12l-2u-storage-server-review/

Last edited:
Yep.
Going big.
I'm putting a 1Tb 960 pro into the M.2 slot for c:
2 more is even better.
---
I think I need to contact supermicro for a backplane ? or adapter cable...
--

Thanks guys !
I appreciate the help, I have a steep learning curve on this build.

:D

Ok !
That second link suggests it's a U.2 connector.....

/me gets back to google.

Not U.2
It's a 7 pin e-sata connector as far as I can tell.
That would make that an NVMe SATA 3 ssd.....
hmmm.

Ok !
That second link suggests it's a U.2 connector.....

/me gets back to google.
I don't think the ports are U.2, the expansion bay is but these ports are Oculink: http://www.connectortips.com/oculink-connectors-cables-support-new-pcie-standard/

At least that's what they look like to me. Jesus, just when I think they have created every single method of interfacing w/ PCIe....

I would definitely contact Supermicro, they are usually pretty helpful in getting you the right stuff to interface w/ their boards in my experience.

Call SM and ask! I can't tell shit from that picture.

I need a bigger image. I'm wondering if its the VROC dongle connector.

I'm with you on that !. I have a couple other questions for em too.

I think I will file this under 'later' for now.
The mobo/cpu's are totally new, so I'm not surprised there are new things.We'll see what supermicro says.
There are other interesting connectors on this mobo....heheh

--

I'll work on the pics.

Supermicro's website doesn't help either. The Supermicro site looks like it's from the fucking 1990's. It looks basically the same as it did back in 2005 or so when I had my K8WE (S2895) dual socket 940 motherboard. You can't really enlarge images too much and get a good look at the boards on their website. It's so bad, Supermicro should be ashamed of it.

Just chatted with supermicro.
You guys are bang on; those are OCulink connectors.

If you look at some of the other X11 series motherboards it actually says : "2 PCI-E 3.0 NVMExpress x4 via Oculink"...for whatever reason the x11DPi-nt doesn't say that anywhere.
--
Cool !
I'm sure I can find something to do with those !

Thanks Guys !

Ah yes, Thank you again!! That saves me some hunting.
Mounting them won't be a problem, but yea those cables are hideous.
That's one thing I am learning about the whole workstation grade/professional grade computer building thang...
They just don't make modding supplies for this stuff....took me a month to find sas-sata breakouts I liked.
------
I will let you know how it works , but it'll be a while.
I'll be lucky to have this rig even running by Christmas , and then, well, it's ski season.
Next march mebbie.

;)

Yeah, Workstation/Server market is a different animal all together, something I am VERY used to dealing with. Aesthetics come second in this market.

Have you decided what memory you are going to use? I would definitely stick to SuperMicros HCL for that, I have had very good luck with either Crucial or Kingston with SuperMicros products.

Interestingly I just ran into a problem w/ WD Red drives and a SM onboard RAID controller. Performance was for shit! Same basic setup I used a couple of months ago, just w/ 4TB WD Reds vs 10TB Seagate Heliums. Called SM and got the whole, not on our HCL answer, UGH.

It's up to us to change that attitude.

As much as it was cool to see the Threadripper come out and the the 79xx series.....
I wasn't impressed.....I've been looking at a serious Xeon system for about a year.
I'm actually excited about modding again , despite the fact that the entry cost level has quintupled.
------

I'm after Crucial CT8G4RFD8266 modules.I need 12 of em.That's one of only 2 that has similar modules.
Once again , there is no choice.......I need ddr4 2666/8x/dual rank ECC.....6 channels, rank interleaved.
-----
I'm ordering 2 of those adapter cards today....Cables when I can find short ones.
As far as m2 drives , I've got some time to wait and see about the Samsung 970/980 stuff that's just around the corner.

I hoping deep down someone comes up with a direct OCuLink drive in the next couple months.

:ROFLMAO:

labs4.jpg

Just so you know I'm serious.

Hand wrapped mini-sas to sata breakout.

I await the OCulink cables.

:dead:

IMG_6595.JPG

Cheers !!

May I present M.2 to OCulink .

No , It does not come with the backlighting.

Thanks everyone !
I could not have done it without your help.

(y)

Back