No Man's Sky - a procedurally generated sand box space exploration game

It isn't really my type of game, never a huge fan of survival or base building games so it will be interesting to see how long I stick with it. I find I pick it up and stop playing every 20 minutes or so once I complete something just due to how tedious it feels.
A lot of the appeal is the exploration. Planning your sites, building and farming, taking in the sites while you craft mats. Sounds like it might not be your cup of tea if you need action all the time :p

If you do stick with it though, once you start mining the good stuff you can buy enough mats to build a bunch of each component and not have to worry about it again.

Figured I would give it a shot on gamepass, I just got to the first space station. It is interesting though a bit micromanagement for me so far. I kind of wish you could get a better feel for what you need. I kept having to harvest, craft, harvest the same thing again since it didn't really track what I was gathering that well. I assume it is still in the teaching process though so who knows.

It isn't really my type of game, never a huge fan of survival or base building games so it will be interesting to see how long I stick with it. I find I pick it up and stop playing every 20 minutes or so once I complete something just due to how tedious it feels.

The early game and tutorial phase is known to be harsh on new players. Some have said the expeditions are a better way to start the game because you have a focused set of goals.

A lot of the appeal is the exploration. Planning your sites, building and farming, taking in the sites while you craft mats. Sounds like it might not be your cup of tea if you need action all the time :p

If you do stick with it though, once you start mining the good stuff you can buy enough mats to build a bunch of each component and not have to worry about it again.

It isn't the action I find I am missing, but more the exploration without the survival mechanisms. Give me some robots that complete these tasks for me so I can purely go out and explore and flag stuff for them to retrieve. :)

I recently started a new game a couple of weeks ago, last time I really played was the update where they added vehicles, since then, once or twice I would explore the game, but, this time, I'm more invested, and I don't see myself stopping anytime soon.

I recently started a new game a couple of weeks ago, last time I really played was the update where they added vehicles, since then, once or twice I would explore the game, but, this time, I'm more invested, and I don't see myself stopping anytime soon.
Does it still have horrible pop-in of objects when walking around? This is the main reason I couldn't deal with the game years ago.

Does it still have horrible pop-in of objects when walking around? This is the main reason I couldn't deal with the game years ago.
Only the animals, and the grass has a draw distance, but everything else while walking around doesn't pop in as noticeable as it once was.

Twenty-five hours deep into my third play through and I am quickly checking things off my list until I call it good to put down. Is there anything I am missing in this list? The last play through was mid 2021.

[x] atlas pass 2
[x] atlas pass 3
[x] basic base
[x] s-class explorer
[x] cadmium drive
[x] emril drive
[x] iridium drive
[x] red system
[x] green system
[x] blue system
[x] scrap some ships
[x] exotic ship
[ ] derelict freighter
[ ] s-class freighter
[ ] colony stuff
[ ] odd ball pet

I miss this derp from the last play through
https://hardforum.com/threads/no-ma...pace-exploration-game.1795854/post-1045000437

I need to find a better name. A previous exotic ship I had called 'Chaffed Nutz'. Maybe 'Red Pea' or 'DeezNutz's Defeat'. I'll be tweaking the ship mods to really squeeze some hyper drive range out.
1709402949008.png

Oh snap. I am unclear how many planets I've hit, but 30 systems deep so far.

Finally got a decent looking A-Class capital ship so taking a small detour into those missions.

1709421742149.png

Since ya'all haven't made it out of your systems the next new system I will name a planet "[H] Burticus" and "[H] Hershy" so your names will be etched among the cosmos.

I'm just fiddling around with base building. Last time I did just the basics, but now, mine is in the sky, literally. I'll grab a ss tomorrow when I play again.

I recently swapped my freighter for a dreadnought too, that thing looks cool.

I think the base has to be touching the ground at some point but many have found ways to make them mostly floating bases.

[x] derelict freighter
[x] a-class freighter
[x] odd ball pet
[ ] s-class freighter
[ ] colony stuff
[ ] sequence an egg

Last update for a bit, but checked off the last two major components - odd ball pet and derelict freighter run. I really forgot how much fun the scavenge run on a derelict was. Made about 4ish million credits and some nice ok freighter upgrades.

My oddball pet is called 'Plank' and a weird floating pillar found on a high aggressive sentinel weird planet in a red star system. I'll have to read up on what pets do for me besides roll around and chatter at things, but so far having a sentient pillar roll with me is amusing. I can't ride it, but so it goes.

I try to tweak an egg (assuming this leaves one), mop up a few quests, wait for a few freighter missions to wrap up, and then poke at this colony thing.

If I am reading the rest of the notes right, I don't think I have any specific single player mechanics I need to explore. A lot of updates were the multiplayer part and I don't believe I care to try those out.

It's hilarious to recognize how much I greased the optimal curve on this game even after a few years of not playing.

04.jpg

Plank's home I liberated it from.
05.jpg

I forgot how much I enjoy the little reports from my fleet as they go out doing what ever to god knows who. A small touch of DwarfFortress to make me smile. Well, until one of the idiots comes back with mission critical damage.

Also forgot about pet breeding so had that on my list. Totally didn't look up how to do it, yeeted a bunch of shit into the egg'u'baker, and let it rip.

From my humble column sprang this guy. Big ass glowing nightlight.

06.jpg

I found the 'chipper' mood ironic. We'll see how this goes until it fully grows up.

07.jpg

Also failed my first pirate freighter attack. No idea what I was doing beyond trench running and blowing up guns, but some how I lost.

Also failed my first pirate freighter attack. No idea what I was doing beyond trench running and blowing up guns, but some how I lost.
On your next one, destroy the engines first, then the anti ship lasers, if they don't surrender by then, then it'll take one or two shields generators.

Well that's a wrap on play through four. About 35 hours deep, hit all what I wanted to see, hit my usual personal milestones, and decided I didn't really like that colony game loop.

I'm glad to see the game still makes super derpy creatures like this butterfly winged/small head/giant body monstrosity.

08.jpg

I also like the expanded wall of fame for most pricey loot, odd creatures, odd plants, odd planets, etc.

09.jpg

A few things I didn't super like. Freighter upgrades seem more hard to come by than I remember without grinding derelict freighter runs.

The colony thing, as far as I can tell, is a weird 'island loop' where you can grind out some credits but things take a long time to progress.

I probably should have started the multiplayer expeditions, but meh, not this time.

Over all a fun game and I'm glad to see you can shave off the play through curve early on by upgrading the scanner in your visor and making crazy credits off scanning EVERYTHING.

I'm all for the new update!! WOW. Big improvements to the space stations. Also now we are able to customize our ships. YES, I have been hoping for that. Fantastic.

Incredible. I've run out of adjectives to describe the course this game has taken since it first came out.

Incredible. I've run out of adjectives to describe the course this game has taken since it first came out.
Greatest redemption arc I've ever seen. When the game came out it was trash. Not just because of the over-promising, even if you evaluated it with a blank slate, knowing nothing about what had been said, it was a bad game. Buggy, janky, and just really nothing interesting to do. I looked at reviews and videos and laughed at it. Most studios would have perhaps released a couple patches and abandoned it, what a complete disgrace.

...but they didn't. They went silent (which made people think they did abandon it) and got to work. It was interesting watching as they kept improving and improving the game. I watched some newer reviews, but it was still something I wasn't interested in. I mean they were fixing the bugs and putting in more features they had promised, but fundimentally it still looked really boring. Can't fix a boring design, even with a lot of coats of paint. Eventually I just kinda ignored it.

...until recently I decided to try it. And it's fun. Really fun. While it is still a bunch of procedurally generated crap, they've added enough stuff, tweaked enough, refined enough, etc that it is now a fun game to play. I don't tend to get in to procedural games because while the promise is "Completely new experience all the time!" the reality is usually "Everything is uniformly boring!" This one though? Plenty of fun stuff.

Just amazing how they redeemed themselves.

Yeah, there is the usual procedural jankiness (animals especially), but the ships are good, and some of the outlier planet types are amazing.

So would you say this game is much better than starfeild? If heard starfeild is very boring...
For me, personally, Starfield and No Man’s Sky are two different types of games.

No Man’s Sky feels more like Subnautica, which is another survival/exploration game.

I think that most people, when they play Starfield, will tend to compare their experience with previous Bethesda games, such as Skyrim or Fallout 4.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Started a new play through. I have yet to make it to shipbuilding due to limited playtime, but I am looking forward to the ship building. That was my favorite part of Starfield and I am hoping it is at least close to as good here

Snagged the update and popped into two different system stations.

Exterior #1

01.jpg

Interior of #1
02.jpg

Exterior #2
03.jpg

Exterior #2 - closer

04.jpg

Interior #2

05.jpg

I dig the condensed vertical layout. The ship building thing is behind all of those. If nothing else this provides a bit of visual interest in the game that was lacking.

Your images looked stretched? Maybe it is just the embedded images on my monitor, but it reminds me of the into image that is stretched and squashed. Wasn't sure if maybe the resolution reset after the update.

I realized another issue I have with this game. I don't know if the controls just aren't intuitive since it is controller lead design, but I always have to button mash until I can figure out what the buttons do every time I fire the game up. I will have random icons on the screen with no way to figure what they are. I have been spoiled by games that let you hold shift to unlock and move the cursor over the icon. I guess I just didn't play long enough on my first few sessions for them to sink in.

Back