Newegg Doles Out Refunds for AMD APU Price Gouging

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Newegg got called on the carpet for price gouging Monday for the launch of AMD's new 2400G and 2200G APUs. Amazon on the other hand, launched the APUs at MSRP. Gamers Nexus is reporting that Newegg is issuing refunds to those that bought these APUs at their inflated prices. If you shop at Newegg, I highly suggest using the HoverHound extension for Chrome and Firefox. It will automatically search for products at Amazon and give you an instant price comparison, and HoverHound was built with tech geeks in mind. Thanks cagey.

We will automatically issue you a refund for the amount of $20 back to your original form of payment within 2-4 business days of this e-mail. You won’t need to do anything on your end.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
New egg price gouging on hot items? Color me shocked. SHOCKED I TELL YOU. And I was so looking forward to a RX580 at $550. /sarcasm

Newegg seems to forget they have competition and we geeks have a good memory

The only way I'm shopping new egg now is if I can't find it on amazon, tiger direct, or Froogle.

Meh. Haven't bought anything from newegg since 2013, and from what I've read their customer service has only gone downhill.

Not sure why other companies haven't figured out what Amazon has: treating your customers exceedingly well makes good business sense.

I shop occasionally at newegg since I don't have to pay sales tax (for now) and have Shoprunner for 2 day shipping. All retailers are guilty of price gouging, so you always have to shop around.

I havent purchased anything from the Egg in a good long time, I used to use them almost exclusively. They are no longer the cheapest and often items I want are out of stock. I do go there and read reviews. As much as I hate to say it I purchase a ton of stuff from amazon now, even home improvement stuff, Why is it that I can buy boxes of screws, floor drains for tile showers, and tools etc cheaper than I can at my local lowes?

What is the difference between this and them charging a crazy amount for 1080ti's? why does one get them in trouble but the other is ok?

Been years since I bought anything from them. When companies sell themselves to other, larger companies, it's time to leave.

Now we just need to see some of these with HBM on package so the GPU doesn't share main memory and 20 compute units, like Intel got.

Now we just need to see some of these with HBM on package so the GPU doesn't share main memory and 20 compute units, like Intel got.

It will be interesting to see how they pan out side by side. (Intel with Radeon and AMD APU) I'll be counting on Kyle to get us a review.

Too bad I won't touch a new Intel CPU until the spectre and meltdown bugs are fixed with new hardware.

I've got a couple hundred dollars in NewEgg gift cards from Christmas and birthday, sure wish they were Amazon instead. And yes, I checked they don't sell them. :cry:

I treat NE just like any other outlet. If they have the availability and the price, I buy it. I haven't had any issues with RMA or customer service over the past year, and I've had to return two items. However, I don't use their third party sellers. I only buy from NE if I'm on their site. If I wanted third party shopping, I'd use eBay or Amazon. They're better at it.

I have only bought one thing from NewEgg in the last 5 years. They used to be great, but their prices have gone up in comparison to other resellers, and their service quality has gone down. About 5 years ago, they passed that balance point with Amazon, so I switched as well. I used to watch their Shell Shockers for good deals, but after realizing I had gone 2 years without seeing one item worth buying even at those discounted prices, I quit even watching that. It would take a miracle to get my business back now.

I've got a couple hundred dollars in NewEgg gift cards from Christmas and birthday, sure wish they were Amazon instead. And yes, I checked they don't sell them. :cry:
They are on Amazon. I ordered two on Monday and they arrive today.

It will be interesting to see how they pan out side by side. (Intel with Radeon and AMD APU) I'll be counting on Kyle to get us a review.

Too bad I won't touch a new Intel CPU until the spectre and meltdown bugs are fixed with new hardware.

God i hope [H] reviews the 2400G. I want to see how this sucker stacks up for emulation.

Meh. Haven't bought anything from newegg since 2013, and from what I've read their customer service has only gone downhill.

Not sure why other companies haven't figured out what Amazon has: treating your customers exceedingly well makes good business sense.

My biggest gripe with Amazon is their absolutely horrible search function. I just love looking through 30 pages of crap to find the exact part number I searched for and then have other unrelated stuff come up instead.

What is the difference between this and them charging a crazy amount for 1080ti's? why does one get them in trouble but the other is ok?

From Newegg's point-of-view, nothing: Charge what people will pay.

However, they are taking advantage of a lack of perfect information in the market by charging more than the equilibrium price. When people become aware of this, they get annoyed. Strictly rational? Perhaps not, but that hardly matters if people stop buying stuff from you over it.

My biggest gripe with Amazon is their absolutely horrible search function. I just love looking through 30 pages of crap to find the exact part number I searched for and then have other unrelated stuff come up instead.
I'll give you that one, Amazon's search (and especially the filters when you're browsing, the product listings aren't consistent enough and filters tend to be counterproductive) isn't the greatest thing ever, but it's been my experience that they'll bend over backwards to ensure I'm happy once I do find whatever I was looking for and order it. The primary reason I'll buy something from Amazon over just about any other store is my confidence that if something goes wrong - dead or damaged product / lost in shipping / I just don't like it - they will make it right (and quickly.)

Fun times with Newegg:

As of right now @ Newegg:

Ryzen 3 2200G: BACKORDER status and back up to $129.99
Ryzen 5 2400G: IN STOCK and back up to $189.99

So they are giving partial refunds for orders the first day and now they got the prices jacked right back up to launch day prices... :meh:

They're still useful for VM hosts, as long as they run VMWare and don't talk to the internet.

Fun times with Newegg:

So they are giving partial refunds for orders the first day and now they got the prices jacked right back up to launch day prices... :meh:

Just more confirmation that Newegg is a shadow of its former self. :(

Fun times with Newegg:

When I last checked they were listing the MSRP price as a "Sale" price for 48 hours only.

It saddens me how they've fallen. So much of the stuff stored in my attic is in old repurposed Newegg boxes. I used to be a loyal customer, but that ended many years ago now.

My purchases from Newegg have decreased dramatically, but that is more due to spending less on tech. I find the browsing experience and refinement to still be quite good on Newegg, especially compared to Amazon which has become atrocious. That being said, I also always cross shop, and do use hoverhound.

Like mentioned above I think Newegg has a better layout and structure for browsing products and I'm sad to see the once leader in the industry now just leading itself downhill. Amazon still annoys me they don't accept PayPal like the rest of the universe.

I only use newegg to order memory, because Amazon's a mess there for browsing by spec. Or I find what I want on Newegg, and try to find the same sku on Amazon.

Like everyone above, I haven't shopped newegg for years. What's the point when you can go to 10 other sites for the same products and actually pay MSRP or below. I use them since they do catalog their stuff nice and I can see what parts are out there etc etc, then go buy elsewhere.

Ever since Newegg sold to the Chinese, I've hardly used them. Barely used them in the past few years.

Shame on Newegg, but the writing has been on the wall ever since they were bought. The bigger problem is people foolish enough to not comparison shop, because they enable these kinds of shenanigans.
A fool and his money is soon parted.

Well you can use a different search engine, I sometimes use duckduckgo to search amazon using the "site:" parameter.

man newegg really went down hill when they let people use it a market place ... shady ass fucks

Stopped shopping at the Egg when they started dicking [H] around for referrals. (Yes Newegg, I remember those shenanigans)

Now the only way I'll buy from them is if they're seriously the only ones with a reasonable price on something. Otherwise I look for it on NewEgg, then buy it on Amazon once I pull the relevant info so I don't have to wade through Amazon's horrendous search engine results. (Seriously Amazon, an elbow pipe fitting is NOT in any way related to an office chair.)

And yet, for every customer lost, how many have been gained? As far as pricing, it is heavily dependent on what you're looking to buy. There are small / medium size enterprises that buy gear from Newegg cheaper than from a distributor.

Back