New X3D BIOS Rolling Out - ASUS, ASRock, More (AM5, X670/B650)

I’m not updating until a release bios is out and people report it actually being good. My system is working fine with manual settings. Seems like this issue should be solved already but here we are.

Last edited:
Don't use the asus beta bios unless you really know what you are doing and are aware of what the computer might be doing in a "stalled" state. Ive been playing with X670E crosshair bios 1410 and some of the earlier ones. They are pretty unpredictable when you change things. A stalled boot can burn your MB/CPU quick if you dont reset or pull the power. The dreaded 00 boot code - beware, but also in general while rebooting. Don't sleep the box. Finally have 1410 stable with PBO/CO/AI overclock. It can be done but again - beware. I basically undervolted everything.

As above...
Looks like the pressure made Asus come to their senses.

Asus Responds to AM5 BIOS Controversy: Warranty Covers Beta Fixes, EXPO Presets

Last edited:
Don't use the asus beta bios unless you really know what you are doing and are aware of what the computer might be doing in a "stalled" state. Ive been playing with X670E crosshair bios 1410 and some of the earlier ones. They are pretty unpredictable when you change things. A stalled boot can burn your MB/CPU quick if you dont reset or pull the power. The dreaded 00 boot code - beware, but also in general while rebooting. Don't sleep the box. Finally have 1410 stable with PBO/CO/AI overclock. It can be done but again - beware. I basically undervolted everything.

As above...
Looks like the pressure made Asus come to their senses.

Asus Responds to AM5 BIOS Controversy: Warranty Covers Beta Fixes, EXPO Presets

I’m sure that’s real for you - but for 99% of gamers it’s FUD. I’ve got a ProArt and a Gene and they just work great flipped to Expo and using PBO. No stalls or hangs. Also a B650E-F…

I leave my rigs on all the time, too.

I’m sure that’s real for you - but for 99% of gamers it’s FUD. I’ve got a ProArt and a Gene and they just work great flipped to Expo and using PBO. No stalls or hangs. Also a B650E-F…

I leave my rigs on all the time, too.
Thanks for speaking for 99% of gamers - I didn't realize that was the audience here. Sorry for touching more than two settings in the bios. I wanted to exert a little more control and customization to get the voltage ranges where I wanted them.

Last edited:
Thanks for speaking for 99% of gamers - I didn't realize that was the audience here. Sorry for touching more than two settings in the bios. I wanted to exert a little more control and customization to get the voltage ranges where I wanted them.
You’re welcome!

A lot of people are sitting on the fence and not upgrading when this is a very serious issue. I don’t want people having one more excuse - especially if they’re [H] and not a gamer like me.

EDIT: ASUS 1415 is out for X670E. Likely updates for other boards, too.

Last edited:
Looks like the newest BIOS for the B650E-F is 1616 and it isn't a beta. Seems like the one to install if you've held off on the others.

ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI BIOS 1616

Version 1616
9.07 MB 2023/05/16
"1. Update AGESA version to Combo AM5 PI 1.0.0.7.a
2. Support 48/24GB high-density DDR5 memory module.
3. Memory QVL amended to account for AMD 1.3V SoC voltage limit.
4. EXPO/XMP prompt notice removed.

https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b650e-f-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_bios/

I installed the 1616 and everything seems fine. I've been rolling with the same settings basically forever (disable onboard audio + video, disable Armory Crate, disable Aura, enable QFan, enable PBO, enable Expo 1) and things have simply worked.

No Beta tag for the latest bios for my board. I’ll update it tonight and report back.

ROG CROSSHAIR X670E GENE BIOS 1415

Version 1415
9.45 MB 2023/05/16

No Beta tag for the latest bios for my board. I’ll update it tonight and report back.

ROG CROSSHAIR X670E GENE BIOS 1415

Version 1415
9.45 MB 2023/05/16
I’ve been running it since yesterday and I can report nothing has blown up - yet

Bios updated and the only changes I made were manually setting the memory timings and voltage for that. Everything else is stock. SOC and other voltages are as good or better than my manual settings previously.

1684367561880.png

So I noticed Gigabyte posted another bios update today. I loaded it.

My system is only a few days old so I'm still in that slightly paranoid stage with it, but the timing of when I bought everything didn't help that!

It seems like Gigabyte has tried twice now, to curtail people from using anything over 1.30v with AMD XPO. The May 5th F8E firmware (which is no longer on their site) is what I first loaded the machine with, and it ran fine with XPO for a couple of days. I did decide to turn it off, I don't need the horsepower at the moment... I forget the exact language of the verbiage in the prior F8E bios description, but it is similar to what is present now for F8. I noticed another update went up May 17th, with a similar description:

1684385591940.png

I'm not really sure what they are trying to say here. Does the bios restrict voltage to 1.3V, or are they saying that the user should be?

Toggling XPO updates the ram to this, and it seems like there's been no change.

1684385711424.png

I don't know. I guess I'm still confused. Was that E for experiment? lol

So I noticed Gigabyte posted another bios update today. I loaded it.

My system is only a few days old so I'm still in that slightly paranoid stage with it, but the timing of when I bought everything didn't help that!

It seems like Gigabyte has tried twice now, to curtail people from using anything over 1.30v with AMD XPO. The May 5th F8E firmware (which is no longer on their site) is what I first loaded the machine with, and it ran fine with XPO for a couple of days. I did decide to turn it off, I don't need the horsepower at the moment... I forget the exact language of the verbiage in the prior F8E bios description, but it is similar to what is present now for F8. I noticed another update went up May 17th, with a similar description:

View attachment 571027

I'm not really sure what they are trying to say here. Does the bios restrict voltage to 1.3V, or are they saying that the user should be?

Toggling XPO updates the ram to this, and it seems like there's been no change.

View attachment 571028

I don't know. I guess I'm still confused. Was that E for experiment? lol
Gigabyte is still on AGESA 1.0.0.6?

The BIOS puts a hard limit on the SOC voltage. The user should not have to do anything.

Your screenshot is just the SPD information. It's not showing you what the voltages are actually running it. The SOC voltage in particular is a CPU setting. It's called VCORE SOC on Gigabyte boards and should be on the Tweaker tab in the BIOS.

You can use HWiNFO64 as shown in the above post to check the actual voltage the CPU is reporting.

Gigabyte is still on AGESA 1.0.0.6?

The BIOS puts a hard limit on the SOC voltage. The user should not have to do anything.

Your screenshot is just the SPD information. It's not showing you what the voltages are actually running it. The SOC voltage in particular is a CPU setting. It's called VCORE SOC on Gigabyte boards and should be on the Tweaker tab in the BIOS.

You can use HWiNFO64 as shown in the above post to check the actual voltage the CPU is reporting.

That's like the 8th time this week I've posted something embarrassing. I wonder if I can break my record!

I have no idea on the AGESA quandary. I did some googling and I came across this:

While the majority of AMD's partners issued an update through AGESA 1.0.0.6 BIOS firmware, ASUS decided to go with a BETA release of AGESA 1.0.0.7 BIOS firmware. However, the actual AMD AGESA 1.0.0.7 BIOS firmware release may have to wait since the current version has various flaws & issues including buggy memory overclocking and compatibility.

AMD has confirmed with board partners about the existence of these issues and is now working on a newer 1.0.9.0 firmware (internal naming) which is expected to mitigate these issues but there's no guarantee that all of it will be fixed. It is advised that all board vendors who were planning to roll out BIOS based on the existing 1.0.7.0 firmware roll back to an older version for now.

This means that you have to stick with the latest AGESA 1.0.0.6 updates that include voltage limits but no thermal limits which are included in the internal 1.0.7.0 revision.

source is: https://wccftech.com/current-amd-ag...thermal-limitations-fix-memory-compatibility/

Attachments

• 1684420216281.png
    1684420216281.png
    109.8 KB · Views: 0
I believe they released 1.0.0.7a in place of the .9 that they were talking about.
Obviously I'm not too familiar with this point, but I wonder if gigabyte is meaning they are updating TO 1.0.0.6 or from it. I suspect it is to 1.0.0.6 but I don't know how to verify that. I found some old posts that point to it being displayed in the bios section of cpu-z, and the motherboard section of hwinfo, but it's not. I'm out of my depth here though

Obviously I'm not too familiar with this point, but I wonder if gigabyte is meaning they are updating TO 1.0.0.6 or from it. I suspect it is to 1.0.0.6 but I don't know how to verify that. I found some old posts that point to it being displayed in the bios section of cpu-z, and the motherboard section of hwinfo, but it's not. I'm out of my depth here though
Typically they would list what agesa is being used, so my take is that the new bios use 1.0.0.6 still.

Typically they would list what agesa is being used, so my take is that the new bios use 1.0.0.6 still.

Yeah, I found it in the bios. 1.0.0.6.

Gigabyte posted another bios the next day, f9e with the new text as Update AMD AGESA 1.0.0.7 A
I commented in a previous post that I wasn't sure what the "e" meant in the bios name, and from what I've read a minute ago anything following F# means it's a beta bios.

I am on the newest Asus bios. for the first time I actually have boot times in 30 second window down from almost 50+. SOC voltage is now always below 1.3v around 1.27 most of the time. Looks like they are shooting for under 1.3v. its 1.0.0.7A. Think wccftech always adds salt and pepper to their leaks. Seems pretty damn stable hwere with expo at 6000mhz and tweaked timings.

I have been on the new asus bios since Friday. Manually setting the CO, 65w mode and manual RAM timings has netted the best performance for the build, both EXPO1 and 2 are slower along with just leaving the CPU on auto PBO/stock.

I have been on the new asus bios since Friday. Manually setting the CO, 65w mode and manual RAM timings has netted the best performance for the build, both EXPO1 and 2 are slower along with just leaving the CPU on auto PBO/stock.
Do you track BIOS options and results with anything like a spreadsheet?

So I just put on the latest bios for the MSI B650 board I have here and ended up with this at stock settings.. plus some weird stuttering. THis one: AGESA ComboPI 1.0.0.7a updated with the required solution.

wat.jpg

Same here I even tried manual on the mem and it still had less performance. Eco 65w, with Auto on expo. and disabled is ( Igpu, sata, wifi, blutooth, asus crate, )

Thanks for beta testing for the rest of us I guess :(

Network adapter and USB instability points to low SOC voltage so maybe MSI went too aggressive with turning it down. I'll have to check today, this board is a B650-P Pro Wifi.

EDIT: it seems to have locked the SOC voltage at 1.300V, like no fluctuation at all which is a little weird.

Network adapter and USB instability points to low SOC voltage so maybe MSI went too aggressive with turning it down. I'll have to check today, this board is a B650-P Pro Wifi.

EDIT: it seems to have locked the SOC voltage at 1.300V, like no fluctuation at all which is a little weird.
So I have an ASUS board, not an MSI board, but I still have to ask this question. Doesn't MSI (or ASUS or AsROCK ...) test their BIOS before release. Like, did they have a good reason to lock the SOC voltage or are they simply reacting to forum posts?

So I have an ASUS board, not an MSI board, but I still have to ask this question. Doesn't MSI (or ASUS or AsROCK ...) test their BIOS before release. Like, did they have a good reason to lock the SOC voltage or are they simply reacting to forum posts?

I think they just slapped a limit on the voltage according to what AMD said after investigating the problem. Its likely nothing at all was tested because VSOC is only that high with EXPO on anyways. Its not their problem what you do with overclocking.

Decided to jump from gigabyte's f8 to f10a on my 670e extreme. No complaints with performance or reliability so far.

But that whole thing about the eclypsium research discovery of the potential backdoor involved with the download to gigabyte control center seems to have been solved by it PROMPTING you to ask if you want to download the update when you login to windows. When you update the bios, it will revert back to enabled, and you will see that prompt.
Honestly, I'm getting so tired of this shit where things that people don't want, and have indicated they don't want keeps reverting back to enabled.

Decided to jump from gigabyte's f8 to f10a on my 670e extreme. No complaints with performance or reliability so far.

But that whole thing about the eclypsium research discovery of the potential backdoor involved with the download to gigabyte control center seems to have been solved by it PROMPTING you to ask if you want to download the update when you login to windows. When you update the bios, it will revert back to enabled, and you will see that prompt.
Honestly, I'm getting so tired of this shit where things that people don't want, and have indicated they don't want keeps reverting back to enabled.

With software, I absolutely agree. There is NO REASON why preference settings should be lost when upgrading software, up to and including the Operating System. Windows is infamous for reverting preference settings after updates and it is nothing but annoying.

With FIRMWARE, however, I completely disagree. You're NEVER "updating" your firmware, you're REPLACING IT ENTIRELY with a new version. As such, the variables and addressable locations within that firmware are entirely different per version, necessitating that the options all be reset to defaults to avoid weird and potentially catastrophic problems.

That being said, I would argue that this UEFI jacking software installs into the OS bullshit should not exist at all. My Asus board should NOT be able to EVER decide I need Armoury Crate and try to install it for me, prompted or not. If I want that shit, I know where to go to get it. I turn it off in the UEFI settings every time, but I really feel like I shouldn't have to. Auto-installing software like that is just one ZOMGWTFBBQXBOXHUEG security hole just waiting to be exploited, especially when you consider how good mainboard OEMs have been thus far with their security practices, and how long they traditionally support their products with updates. If it connects to the internet, it needs regular vulnerability testing and security updates. Period. If you as an OEM can't do that, don't have the product connect to the internet.

Right now this bullshit only happens with Windows systems and with all the variety in Linux distributions, I'm not sure this would ever really work on Linux systems. That doesn't mean they won't try though.

Well, a brief update on the f10a bios from gigabyte. I have not had time to further look into the matter, but I have had some strange behavior that I have noticed. Specifically, my computer seems to be turning itself on, even after I have turned it OFF. When I went to bed last night I KNOW I selected shut down from windows as that is what I usually do. I woke up and my computer was turned on at the windows login screen. Strange...So I turned it off with the power button, which is set to act as an OFF button, not sleep or hibernate, etc.

A few hours went by, and sure enough...my computer was turned on again. I've made no other changes, except for upgrading my GPU, which as far as I know would not have any changes here...but this is strange behavior that I'm going to look into. I have some resources on that, so I'll report back if anyone is curious.

Look for the section of BIOS that has options for wake or power on timers. Many boards have it on by default in BIOS, and Windows or other programs will set wake events without you knowing.

Also check Windows for power on events.

I checked everything I could think of or find online, and could not find an explanation for it. I'm still feeling a little dubious so for the time being when I go to bed at night I'm turning it off and just flipping the switch on the PSU. While I was at it, I disabled wake on lan. SHould be able to experiment this week to see if I can rule it out further. Not sure how that could have been the cause, but I have no use for that function anyway. :)

Someone install a phone home on your pc? Very very strange for a pc to power on by itself after full shutdown. I used to run the power on after power failure on my old pc as when I was away from home, I'd remote in and didn't want it to be inaccessible. I haven't actively looked for this feature in my last 4 upgrades so I'm not sure if it's still a thing.

It's 1.0.0.7c that everyone is waiting for. That's the one that's going to give everyone the higher memory speed and stability with no extra work.

Interesting. I'll have to go ahead and try the B rev for my Gigabyte board soon then.

Gigabyte is starting to release beta BIOS for 1.0.0.7c.

Time to give it a go.

Interesting. I'll have to go ahead and try the B rev for my Gigabyte board soon then.

I've been using B since the day after it launched. I'm not qualified to review a bios update (not by a long shot) but nothing blew up!

Don't forget to disable the option to download gigabyte stuff though! lol

Back