New Samsung 4k for everyone.

Here's the million dollar question though. Why in the hell would you even care as if you bought this TV, why on earth would you want to display unconverted 1080P content? I mean, yeah, you tube videos will look fine at 1080p, but for Windows desktop environment, to gaming, just leave it at native 4k, and to hell with 1080p. Looking at your sig, you have a 980 Ti, so more to the point of keep it at 4k, and move along....

Believe it or not, I chose the Samsung TV over a bunch of 4K monitors due to its great 1080P. Most older games don't scale well past 1080P. I hook up my PS4 to it. Most monitors look awful at non-native resolution which was why I returned them all. Also, sometimes I need 1080P/60FPS for competitive gaming. 1080P, 4K, 21:9 1440P, it does it all. Everything except Gsync,

Zarathustra[H];1041807505 said:
Fine, here is a test summary that uses expensive equipment (X-rite i1pro Spectrophotometer, X-right Hubble Colorimeter) to compare a ~$12 generic cable, a ~$20 brand name cable, and a ~$200 ridiculous enthusiast cable. ...

Well he used gear to calibrate the screen with each cable. Any difference in the cable is then corrected, by the calibration. He then compares the calibrated results, and find that the calibration results in pretty similar colors.

He then deducts, that the colors without calibration, that he has not tested, are equal. Also, the dynamic corrections by the TV, are left on, but settings are not documented. This test is impossible to repeat.

Conditions of light in the room, or if the tests of the individual cables, if repeated, do they yield the exact same results? What is the accuracy of the measuring gear?

The list is like endless.

It tells us nothing, if our Samsung TV will get any form of improvement from a better cable, and what that improvement might be, and at what costs.

I guess we should leave the cable discussion for now. This is getting off topic, which is the Samsung line of TVs. I will return to the topic, when I got something to share about cables, and their affect on my Samsung TV.

@Nilsen, did you update too the latest firmware, 1214 ?
Does it work for you ?
I did update but nothing changed. Still no BIOS / F12 / etc ...
Should i try again with DVI-HDMI cable ? Should i try to change the TV HDMI slot ?
LE:
I chatted with some Samsung center person, and he said, the problem with no BIOS has nothing to do with the TV. I should research on my PC, etc etc etc

The firmware did not change anything about the BIOS or display issue. Not to me. Same results reported on other forums.

Even tested it with the DVI cable straight into to TV, and no, it still does not work. Since you asked.

As for Samsung customer service, it is seriously bad for this bug.

The HDMI upscaler still works though.

My firmware just updated to 1220. When it gave me the opportunity to click on the details, it said, "Your firmware is updated to 1220." Fool me once....

Anybody hear back from Samsung on the free Galaxy S 6 offer? Last email I got was three weeks ago saying that I'd get my final status in two weeks...

Was "approved", waiting back for the final something.... My Adorama $400 rebate did come through though :)

Anyone try this TV in game mode with motion smoothing set to "smooth/high"? While it turns off 4:4:4 it sure helps with motion blur. TV feels much smoother, and very little blur. Wonder how much lag its adding...?

Was "approved", waiting back for the final something.... My Adorama $400 rebate did come through though :)

Anyone try this TV in game mode with motion smoothing set to "smooth/high"? While it turns off 4:4:4 it sure helps with motion blur. TV feels much smoother, and very little blur. Wonder how much lag its adding...?

What do you mean motion smoothing? You mean Samsung's AMP? Auto motion plus? Yeah that's Soap opera effect. Some either love it or hate it. I actually like it.

As for your Adorama rebate. Your lucky. I tried to buy this set from them during that sale with the 400$ rebate and Galaxy phone. I checked my Email the next day, and my order was canceled. That was after they charged my Credit card and then refunded me. Of course I called them and they didn't have an explanation. Also strangely enough, they pulled the $400 rebate from their site as well. Adorama can go F themselves...

Yes, that's the Auto Motion Plus (or AMP) that has been mentioned many times previously. It does add noticeable lag (I believe someone said that input lag is well over 100ms with it enabled) but even with AMP on, game controls feel very responsive to me. If I were an ultra competitive FPS player then maybe it would be a detriment but as I've said before, for the games that I play, the improvement in motion/smoothness is more than worth the trade-off in input lag. Motion is undeniably more fluid with AMP enabled and blur is definitely reduced. It sort of simulates the fluidity of a true 120Hz monitor, but without the low input lag that most of those have.

Sometimes the mouse does feel a wee bit sluggish in desktop mode with AMP enabled so I switch back to PC or Game mode...it really depends on whether or not I've used the other modes recently. As long as I'm not switching back and forth, it doesn't bother me because I quickly get used to it. Don't get me wrong; cursor movement with AMP enabled feels fine considering how much input lag is present. It just feels somewhat more responsive in PC mode and significantly crisper and more precise in Game mode with AMP off.

Yeh I mean obviously 1080p is not going to look as good as 4k.... But 1080p on one of these samsung 4k TV's should look exactly the same as 1080p on a 1080p TV?

Not on my JU6500. 1080p on this tv looks significantly worse than 1080p on a similar 1080p tv. 1080p movies looks ok, but games at 1080p are a blurry mess.

It takes 1440p on this 4k tv, to make it look like 1080p does on a 1080p tv. In some games 1440p looks surprisingly good actually, and better than 1080p ever does at this size, but overall in games, 1440p seems to be about the equivalent of what 1080p normally looks like at the same size on a 1080p display. It seems to depend on the game on how good 1440p looks, but 1080p so far looks like shit in every game.

I only have a GTX 970 so I can't play 4k on every game. Witcher 3 I use 1440p, and it looks great. (1080p looks like shit) Far Cry 4 I play at 1440p and it looks pretty decent (1080p looks horrible), GTA 5 I play on 4k with mostly high settings and a few very high with 45-60fps. Shadow of mordor I play at 4k with mostly medium and a few high settings with 50ish fps usually. At 4k shit looks great. (even with lower settings).

On a previous 1080p tv of equal size all those games looked good at 1080p.

Last edited:
Why though? Why does 1080p look worse? The TV's are built to run 1080p and 4k as native res so 1080p should not look any worse than a 1080p TV. If I bought a 48" J8500 and run it at 1080p, it should look identical to a 48" 1080p screen? Obviously 4k will look a lot better but I am comparing 1080p on a samsung 4k TV vs 1080p on a 1080p TV.. It should be the same?

Read this review
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-brand/samsung/js9000
It says this
As with all Samsung TVs, the 1080p upscaling doesn't produce a soft picture.
It gave the 1080p scaling a 9 out of 10

I find the pixel sharpness lacking on the 7005 65". If you are comparing a TV with great pixel sharpness to my panel, then no. My panel simply cannot generate an picture as sharp as that panel, even at 1080p. Given everything else is equal.

As for scaling. If you run an application that overrides the desktop res, it will ignore your calibration. Also, settings might be altered as well, like full range HDMI signal. Since my setup is trimmed and calibrated for 2160p, that fine balance is often corrupted by apps going 1080p.

I tried turnng to 1080p/24Hz, only to find that it does not support full range colors, or 444 chroma. That 24Hz feature is useless then.

I tried 1080p in VCL player, since I got more control of the output from there, and watching a movie, looked fine. Then I let the PC do the scaling, at 2160p, and by the looks of it, I would prefer the PC scaling by a mile. If I had a camera, I could document it, but I will need to get one for that. I used 444 chroma signal to the TV.

I need to generate some test material to test desktop scaling, and have no such material at hand at the moment.

For gaming, I have found that using a non native res for the TV, forcing the GPU to do the upscaling, produces a much better gamma response. That makes sense, as my system is trimmed for 2160p output, which PC scaling retains. All settings remains intact, at both the TV and the PC end, forcing a GPU scaling.

I am not sure if this is only about scaling in that external TV box or not. All these bits and pieces, seems to correlate with a slight noise issue. Anyone tried to sharpen a noisy photograph before? It sort of never get really sharp, and you get all these artifacts if you use that USM filter. That is what happens to text on this screen.

Anyway, in my experience, 1080p is fine on my TV, just not great. It requires some tinkering, as settings might be changed, switching to 1080p from 2160p. Sharpness is a bit lacking, as in pixel sharpness, not resolution. To me, at 1080p, this turns even more evident, but that might just be my perception.

Also, keep in mind that this TV support 444 chroma at 60Hz, at 1080p. And full range colors. And it calibrates really nicely and tight (well, sort of, I never tried calibrating it at 1080p). At relatively low lag. That combination is not a normal feature of a 1080p TV.

Since 444 chroma is missing in most 1080p TVs, my Samsung is actually significantly greater than those, at 1080p. Even for tack sharpness, that you only get at 444 chroma.

Island said:
OK-Here's the deal. I don't know what happened but I have changed my mind completely. This monitor is frekkin' insane!! Let me explain. I used the guide in the above thread that Zarathustra[H] started and set up PC and game mode to get 4:4:4/4:2:2 Chroma and UHD mode over HDMI 2.0

I fired up Steam to play a little Alien Isolation. For some reason when I changed from PC mode to try game mode, game mode was set to off. So, auto motion plus was running, Picture mode was set to dynamic, etc. and.....Holy shit, Alien Isolation looks frekkin' amazing. The fire from the flame thrower looks so real...I could not believe it. Even with all the post processing effects from the TV, I didn't really notice any lag. I know for me, I'm going to game in this mode for now, unless I notice high lag in other games, or some other annoyance.

But, I had to get out of the game just to post this and say how vivid the colors were and how awesome the game looks. I know these features aren't for everyone, but for me, I like it. I will use PC mode for regular desktop so I don't fry my eyeballs, but I really like the Dynamic/AMP features for gaming. I recorded some video via Shadow play, but it does not record what the TV is processing and displaying out to the screen. I hope you guys try gaming this way. For me, it really blew me away

Back on topic to our glorious TV :)

I have to say that playing games on Game mode on dynamic with AMP turned off, looks the best to my eyes. Colors pop, and the picture quality just looks awesome. PC mode even set to entertain profile, looks washed out to me. For surfing though, PC mode in standard looks the best as my eyeball don't get fried from the contrast/glare.

So what did you settle on? Dynamic with AMP on or off?

Also when you say "Game mode on dynamic" I'm guessing that you mean switching the device input type to Game, not actually enabling Game mode, right? Because when I enable Game mode, the dynamic/entertain/etc. picture modes are unavailable.

Yes, that's the Auto Motion Plus (or AMP) that has been mentioned many times previously. It does add noticeable lag (I believe someone said that input lag is well over 100ms with it enabled) but even with AMP on, game controls feel very responsive to me. If I were an ultra competitive FPS player then maybe it would be a detriment but as I've said before, for the games that I play, the improvement in motion/smoothness is more than worth the trade-off in input lag. Motion is undeniably more fluid with AMP enabled and blur is definitely reduced. It sort of simulates the fluidity of a true 120Hz monitor, but without the low input lag that most of those have.

Sometimes the mouse does feel a wee bit sluggish in desktop mode with AMP enabled so I switch back to PC or Game mode...it really depends on whether or not I've used the other modes recently. As long as I'm not switching back and forth, it doesn't bother me because I quickly get used to it. Don't get me wrong; cursor movement with AMP enabled feels fine considering how much input lag is present. It just feels somewhat more responsive in PC mode and significantly crisper and more precise in Game mode with AMP off.

Yeah, goes to show different people have different levels of sensitivity to these things.

If I forget to switch from PC mode to game mode when I enter a game, it is immediately apparent to me, and I have to go switch right away, and while my games tend to be FPS games, they are less fast twitchy ones, and more tactical pixel-peeper types.

I am happy with PC mode on the desktop, but if it were any more laggy than it is, I don't think I'd even want to use it on the desktop. It is right on the cusp of desktop usability to me.

I actually haven't even bothered playing with AMP yet. I've meant to try it just so I know what it is like, but I haven't gotten around to it yet, as my motivation to INCREASE my input lag has been rather limited :p

Here's my dream scenario:

Someone figures out how to natively tap into the panel using DP and reverse engineering samsungs one connect box cable. exposing the full 120hz panel to the native DP interface. Then this somehow winds up being compatible with one of those G-Sync kits :p

So what did you settle on? Dynamic with AMP on or off?

Also when you say "Game mode on dynamic" I'm guessing that you mean switching the device input type to Game, not actually enabling Game mode, right? Because when I enable Game mode, the dynamic/entertain/etc. picture modes are unavailable.

I was using PC mode for surfing the net and non-gaming as that looks good for daily use. Playing games, I like using gaming mode, as the game is more colorful, saturated and has more "POP" There is a little bit more lag though especially with AMP, but nothing too bad, and some times I get weird artifacts that I attribute to the TV's post-processing. I like Dynamic as it has the most "POP" I know most people tend to think it just oversaturates the picture, but to my eyes it looks really nice.

And yeah-I just use the PC mode and Game mode to make it easier switching back and fourth when I am gaming or using the desktop/internet. In Game input, I leave game mode off as I can deal with the slightly higher input lag but the colors/pop trade off between having Dynamic and all the post-processing off is too much. I mean, like I said before, this TV makes games pop in color and things look real. Game mode makes the game look washed out even though the response time is very fast. I'll take the trade off. Alien Isolation with Dynamic mode and AMP on looks ridiculous!

Last edited:
I mean, like I said before, this TV makes games pop in color and things look real. Game mode makes the game look washed out even though the response time is very fast. I'll take the trade off.

LOL!

Your reality must be way more colorful than mine.

To me game input with game mode took some time to get used to, as the colors were way too over-saturated to look real. The real world is much more grey with much more subtle colors.

Without game mode on in game input it's just kind of ridiculous :p

I love this monitor to death, but my biggest complaint would be that the colors are ridiculously over-saturated in just about ever mode, giving everything that cartoonish feel of too much color.

I even struggle a little with these forums in PC mode as the burgundy-ish [H] red is extremely red and saturated. :p

It's really funny how peoples tastes and expectations differ.

Zarathustra[H];1041809825 said:
LOL!

To me game input with game mode took some time to get used to, as the colors were way too over-saturated to look real. The real world is much more grey with much more subtle colors.

I love this monitor to death, but my biggest complaint would be that the colors are ridiculously over-saturated in just about ever mode, giving everything that cartoonish feel of too much color.

I even struggle a little with these forums in PC mode as the burgundy-ish [H] red is extremely red and saturated. :p

Yeah, I know it's not for everyone. The Audio/video purists out there hated AMP/Soap
Opera, any over-exaggerated audio effects etc. For me though, gaming is all about immersion and feeling sucked in and feeling that awe inspiring experience.

I swear, when you look at the fire on Ripley's flame thrower with Dynamic/Amp on, it just looks so sweet as the ball of fire shoots out. I toggled back and fourth between all 3 settings

(PC input on standard, Game input with game mode on, and game input on Dynamic with AMP.) I think games looks great with the latter, but like I said, that's the best for my eyes

LOL!

The JU6700 and JU7500 would have better suited your tastes in terms of color, as they are much less saturated. Did you try toning down the saturation using NVCP? I also found that cycling between picture modes and adjusting the TV settings in the menu accomplishes the same thing, but I'm like Island...to my eyes, the vivid saturation/POP of the quantum dot sets is very visually pleasing to me so I tend to keep things on the vibrant side.

LOL!

I have many Samsung tvs isf calibrated by D-Nice, you need to put the color setting to warm 2 and the second most important thing you need to do is turn the color space from auto or native to custom otherwise all the colors are going to be overblown and way over saturated. Colorspace custom is rec709 and is what our games and movies adhere to.

Sadly you can only do this in game mode and any other mode outside of pc mode, pc mode is stuck in native mode which is not accurate and way oversaturated.

With the proper settings game mode can be 6500k, 2.2 gamma and delta errors below 1.

@Nilsen, would you please, add a link with this HDMI convertor you are using, for access the BIOS ?
Does it work ok ?! Do you have more input lag, now ?
Thank you
I'm waiting for the next firmware update, if Samsung won't fix this BIOS issue, i will sale the TV

Last edited:
@Nilsen, would you please, add a link with this HDMI convertor you are using, for access the BIOS ?
Does it work ok ?! Do you have more input lag, now ?
Thank you
I'm waiting for the next firmware update, if Samsung won't fix this BIOS issue, i will sale the TV

Sure. I ordered this SKU:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00988GMLG?tag=hardfocom-20

The product seems to be a regular oem design, so any product looking like this, with similar specs, is probably just the same.

I use it on the DVI output from the GFX, and use it as a secondary input to the TV. Once into Windows, the secondary input is disabled (the one running from DVI), and the HDMI is used as it always has.

As for lag, I cannot tell any difference, nor would I, unless it was an enormous difference. I am not the right guy to ask for minor lag differences.

The upscaler works, sort of. It chops a little of the screen in every direction. For the sole purpose of entering the bios, and enabling OS installation, it do just fine. For daily usage, no it would be horrible.

If you buy what I did, remember that it ships with a 110v US external power, and without any cables. You need a DVI-HDMI cable, and an extra HDMI cable.

Your BIOS res might differ from mine, so it is not a given that this will work for you. I would not worry too much about it, but that might be an issue. If you know your res and refresh, I will be happy to try those under windows with my upscaler for you. 1366*768 and 1360*768 at 60Hz, works just fine.

This is such a dumb workaround, but right now, the only one we got. If not opting for a second screen.

There probably are cheaper solutions out there. I just went with this one, as it looked to be the most likely one to work.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you very much, Nilsen
And now, with this SKU, are you able to access BIOS / F12 / quick boot menu / dual boot ( if any )
and so on ?
When you turn on your PC, do you see something ales ( SKU software ) before BIOS Post shows up ?
I don't understand what do you mean when you said " If you know your res and refresh, I will be happy to try those under windows with my upscaler for you. 1366*768 and 1360*768 at 60Hz, works just fine "
You mean, my pc BIOS res and refresh ???
LE : I can't find this in Germany
Is this one, maybe ? wow, 200 euro ?!
http://www.amazon.de/BG-460-SCART-System-Digital-Converter/dp/B00OORGVJY
Here is a link with my motherboard - BIOS software
I have now the latest, which is F13
So, the issue with Samsung - BIOS pc, it's because of the pc BIOS resolution ?
Anyway, i will soon upgrade my motherboard + CPU. Is there a small chance to access BIOS, with a new motherboard ?
By the way, i went to Service Mode - Samsung tv, and i did reset the EDID, but didn't help ( EDID ON - EDID Write all )

Last edited:
Does your MB have a built in HDMI output? Try connecting the the video output to that. It could be defaulting to that on boot.

Thank you very much, Nilsen
And now, with this SKU, are you able to access BIOS / F12 / quick boot menu / dual boot ( if any )
and so on ?
When you turn on your PC, do you see something ales ( SKU software ) before BIOS Post shows up ?
I don't understand what do you mean when you said " If you know your res and refresh, I will be happy to try those under windows with my upscaler for you. 1366*768 and 1360*768 at 60Hz, works just fine "
You mean, my pc BIOS res and refresh ???
LE : I can't find this in Germany
Is this one, maybe ? wow, 200 euro ?!
http://www.amazon.de/BG-460-SCART-System-Digital-Converter/dp/B00OORGVJY
Here is a link with my motherboard - BIOS software
I have now the latest, which is F13
So, the issue with Samsung - BIOS pc, it's because of the pc BIOS resolution ?
Anyway, i will soon upgrade my motherboard + CPU. Is there a small chance to access BIOS, with a new motherboard ?
By the way, i went to Service Mode - Samsung tv, and i did reset the EDID, but didn't help ( EDID ON - EDID Write all )

I can access anything I want. I have not experienced that there is any signal I cannot see, using this box.

Prior to receiving any signal, I get a "no signal" moving across the screen. If I remove the input cable, I get "snow". You know, what you got in the old days, using analogue inputs, when there was no signal.

And yes. I mean your BIOS res and refresh. Mine ends up at 1366*768 for HDMI, and 1360*768 for DVI. The latter is officially supported by the TV, at 60Hz, which the signal is.

As for finding it in Germany, I originally found it on eBay in Germany.

Some users reported that their BIOS was outputting 1080p at 60Hz. To be quite honest, it would be seriously strange for any TV, not supporting 1080p. I just do not know. If you ask me, I would say there is a small chance for a 1080p BIOS to work, but that is just my wild guess.

It seems like the handshake is broken, outside Windows. It appears, that the TV and GFX, do not recognize each other. That could still affect 1080p.

On my Asus Z77, the BIOS and splash screen is not 1080P. However, the TV upscaled it to 1080P. I have not had an issue with the BIOS since 1219.

I can access anything I want. I have not experienced that there is any signal I cannot see, using this box.

Prior to receiving any signal, I get a "no signal" moving across the screen. If I remove the input cable, I get "snow". You know, what you got in the old days, using analogue inputs, when there was no signal.

And yes. I mean your BIOS res and refresh. Mine ends up at 1366*768 for HDMI, and 1360*768 for DVI. The latter is officially supported by the TV, at 60Hz, which the signal is.

As for finding it in Germany, I originally found it on eBay in Germany.

Some users reported that their BIOS was outputting 1080p at 60Hz. To be quite honest, it would be seriously strange for any TV, not supporting 1080p. I just do not know. If you ask me, I would say there is a small chance for a 1080p BIOS to work, but that is just my wild guess.

It seems like the handshake is broken, outside Windows. It appears, that the TV and GFX, do not recognize each other. That could still affect 1080p.

That seems to be the only way for accessing the BIOS.
I will have to search something like your box.
Does it add input lag, or you couldn't see that ??
Thank you

Does it add input lag, or you couldn't see that ??
Thank you
I really could not tell you. If it was seriously bad, I might have picked up on it, but since I use the keyboard in BIOS, I just do not know. Not as bad as for me to take a note.

And unless you plan on using this box for something else than BIOS and OS installation, lag really do not matter that much. I think someone reported about lag below 10ms in some test I read, but that just be analog input lag, as that is what this box is usually commented on.

Has anyone had an issue with their TV periodically "forgetting" game mode settings?

I got a new one connect box and updated to 1220 at about the same time, so I don't know which to blame.

Twice now, I've had to go in, re enable game mode in settings, and turn sharpness back down to 0.

No other settings seem to have been reset.

Probably because it'd be 100x more work for them to test every display with the method they used to confirm the added lag. Leo Bodnar only tests 1080p. 4K could be an entirely different story, as was the case with the updates. They had no idea until I pointed it out to them. Add 36ms to all these figures. Notice how 1080p is faster than 4K, at least with the firmware from a month and a half ago.

19164067676_a110aac045_o_d.jpg

I noticed the lag on my 7500 after firmware 1207. I haven't tested since 1215. Could it have gotten better? Maybe, but I doubt it. I don't know why the JS9000 had a faster game mode, but it did at the time I last tested firmwares. One thing is for sure though, the menu is still a hell of a lot slower than it was on the factory firmware. It's laggy as crap, especially when you first boot the TV. Drives me insane...

In other news, I picked up a LG 55EC9300 (1080p 55" curved OLD) and have been trying it out for those who care. Online the lag measure was listed at about 40-50ms... this seems off or something, because it is just as fast as the JS9000 in game mode.

55" is surprisingly still manageable at this sitting distance, but not at 1080p. It's an ugly mess, especially for browsing. I am debating on trying the 4K model, but that is $4,500. A tough pill to swallow...

Is it worth it? For gaming, probably not. How often do you play games where there are completely black areas? I don't think too often. I noticed OLED's black levels while playing Left 4 Dead 2, and a little during Evolve, but that's about it. Certain scenes, especially in movies, it can be jaw dropping how good it looks. Brightness on this thing is abysmal compared to the JS9000 due to an auto brightness limiter implemented to prolong panel life. Whenever too much bright content (such as white web pages) are on screen, it drastically gets darker. And it's hideous. If you see a store model OLED, which convinced me to buy this set in the first place, don't be deceived. The LG demo looped today was flowers blooming, and that was it - the background was entirely black. The flowers looked gorgeous and colorful as ever, but that's because the panel had nothing else to display. All the power and brightness was focused on the flower. If you have a bright scene, the power has to get distributed to all the pixels now, making it much less vivid...

Not too noticeable in games, but when I compared colors of the displays against each other (full white, red, green, blue) the JS9000 blew it away because it maintained its brightness. Still need to do more real-world usage, but this is what I've seen at max brightness so far. Pixel response is perfect, but it is still blurry due to how your eyes work and 60 Hz. Turning on 120 Hz feels laggier than the JS9000, so I don't consider that a viable option.

When I had the LG oled it got 34ms on the middle bar with the Leo Bodnar tester. This was with game mode on in normal mode then changing input to PC. Having compared the responsiveness of the LG Oled to the Samsung 55JS9000 I have now and the Samsung 48JU7500 I previously had, the Samsung's feel more responsive and the lag tester backs this up ( for 1080p at least).

I also want to add that the input lag of my js9000 vs the ju7500 I had in game mode feels identical, and the lag tester shows this too, so I am not sure what your on about the two being different.

Just so you know I have tested the firmwares from 1006/7 which was the shipping firmware all the way up to firmware 1220. I have not seen a negative for upgrading firmwares, the lag has stayed the same. I even went and bought another Samsung to test your theory ( the 40ju7100) and tested the stock 1006 firmware with the lag tester and it got the same numbers in game mode as the newest firmware at the time ( was 1217 ).

PC mode on the JS9000 is still causing my tester to respond 0ms, it clearly isnt 0ms but this did not happen with any other tvs I have tested, so it is weird.

I also have the Benq BL3201ph 4k monitor, I even removed the matte film ( pics are in the official thread on this forum ) and the JS9000 blows it away, the only thing the Benq has over the Samsung is no PWM. Otherwise its a no contest and that is with an almost no glow Benq! Fun fact the Benq has 9.ms for the middle bar on the Leo Bodnar and playing games on that and the Samsung doesn't feel much different overall. The better colors and blacks on the Samsung and the much larger size wins out.

What kind of findings have you found for the LG oled compared to the Samsungs for input lag?

My conclusion is that the Samsung for gaming was better then the LG oled I had, especially the js9000, the js9000 has less blur then the ju7500, enough for me to notice in games.

For gaming, there is no display I would rather have then the JS9000 and that is saying alot!

I also wanted to say that the JS9000 image feels more stable to me over the JU7500, the PWM bothered me on the JU7500 and on the JS9000 it does not bother, an interesting observation I noticed, my eyes don't get tired on the JS9000 like they did on the Ju7500.

Last edited:
Hey, Careful!!!!! That 48" 6400 that was listed as being on sale from Dell ... I'm not 100% sure but I think that model does not have UDH color. I researched that model before since it was a lot cheaper and that's what I discovered.

I am ok with being proved wrong. I just do not want to see anyone get caught up in a cut down version / model

Probably because it'd be 100x more work for them to test every display with the method they used to confirm the added lag. Leo Bodnar only tests 1080p. 4K could be an entirely different story, as was the case with the updates. They had no idea until I pointed it out to them. Add 36ms to all these figures. Notice how 1080p is faster than 4K, at least with the firmware from a month and a half ago.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/319/19164067676_a110aac045_o_d.jpg

I noticed the lag on my 7500 after firmware 1207. I haven't tested since 1215. Could it have gotten better? Maybe, but I doubt it. I don't know why the JS9000 had a faster game mode, but it did at the time I last tested firmwares. One thing is for sure though, the menu is still a hell of a lot slower than it was on the factory firmware. It's laggy as crap, especially when you first boot the TV. Drives me insane...

That quoted test doesn't jive with my - admittedly anecdotal - experiences.

That being said, it's from back in may, so it may have been accurate for the firmware at the time.

Theya re suggesting that PC mode and Game mode are equivalent. Personally, I notice a SIGNIFICANT improvement going from PC mode to game mode. When doing a side by side test next to my Dell 2007fp's PC mode is quite a bit behind them, but game mode looks the same. I have no idea what the 2007FP IPS versiosn input lag is though, but this illustrates that there definitely is a difference between the two, even in 4k.

Maybe they forgot to enable Game Mode, and just tested PC input vs game input, without enabling game mode? That would make more sense to me. With them not measuring any significant difference between the two modes, there is definitely something wrong.

I'm confused over the email in Nitemare's post. Is Rtings saying that the input lag in PC and Game mode is 36ms+16ms=52ms?

edit: and furthermore, yeah...my experience parallels that of Z. The 52ms figure aside, there's no way that the input lag in PC and Game mode are equal. There's noticeably less lag in Game mode.

I'm confused over the email in Nitemare's post. Is Rtings saying that the input lag in PC and Game mode is 36ms+16ms=52ms?

edit: and furthermore, yeah...my experience parallels that of Z. The 52ms figure aside, there's no way that the input lag in PC and Game mode are equal. There's noticeably less lag in Game mode.

They are talking about 4k native on the tv. 1080p/720p on the tv has much lower lag then native 4k on it.

When I had the Ju7500 the Leo Bodnar was showing about 20ms higher lag for 1080p in pc mode compared to game mode (22ms).

It is still best to use game mode for gaming on these if responsiveness is important to you.

I wonder if part of this is because it was written on May second of this year.

The firmwares back then were a lot different and less mature than what we have now.

Still, it wouldn't surprise me if 4k turns out having more input lag than 1080p, (at least if the 1080p is unscaled) but in game mode at 4k it isn't high enough to be a perceptible problem to me, and is equivalent to or lower than my Dell 2007FP 1600x1200 IPS panels.

I have no problem enjoying and doing well in even fast, twitchy games at 4k when using game mode.

Yeah, I'm with you guys, not really worried about the lag numbers because Game and PC modes feel great, especially Game mode. Heck, I even play with AMP enabled in many games for the motion clarity it provides. I was more or less just wondering how they arrived at those findings, particularly the part about PC and Game modes having equal lag. Under no firmware did they ever feel the same to me. Oh well, I guess it really doesn't matter - it would just be nice to say definitively how and why all this stuff is the way it is. Those change logs would be of great use so we're not all just guessing, but I suspect we'll never see them.

Zarathustra[H];1041790002 said:
Did not realize the 3rd world had a pervasive issue with 90 degree rotated content :p

Thank you :cool:

That would be Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad.

It's a high-realism. (not run and gun) war game set in WWII on the eastern front (Germans vs. Russians). 32 vs. 32 player class-based games (most are riflemen, with basic bolt actions) with combined arms, very heavily reliant on teams playing together as teams in order to win. It only takes one guy in a key class on some maps, to go off on his own and do his own thing, for the entire map to be a loss. (other maps are more forgiving)

Since its launch in 2011 it's been by far my favorite game, despite many shortcomings.

I'm a member of 2.Fjg. We run the sometimes #1, Sometimes #2 server in this game.

whats the detail like on the 48" ?

I know people wax lyrical about PPI but given your sat a bit further back I imagine its still pretty good ? 24" @ 1080p is decent enough although around 21" and its starting to get to a point at normal distances you cant tell the pixels at all and the image is very crisp... your sat further back though.

is it clear as in can you look into the image well ?

Back