New Samsung 4k for everyone.

You should ask Greyex. He returned the Phillips and bought the Samsung. Also, will you be happy with this on your screen? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmmhsORVv5c.

No I would not be happy. But is that a common problem with the philips in general or was that simply a bad unit?

Also, if the philips is really that much better in constrast and input lag, it may be worth the trade off since the problem only shows in a specific scenario.

I'm in the market for a 4k this weekend. Strictly for the PC & PS4. My finger's been hovering lately over the order button on a Korean 42" IPS 4K non PWM.

Not only can I not decide between a Crossover and Wasabi but I'm too scared to order and have something be wrong with it.

What is the best 4k monitor I can walk into a store and buy that is 40"-48" (afraid too big won't work sitting a cple feet in front of it) is IPS or better does chroma 4:4:4 at 60hz and its below $900? Only one I saw at Bestbuy was the UN40JU6500FXZA & UN40JU6400FXZA. Microcenter has a cpl also but not sure on most the specs other than what specs the manufacturer gives. If the Korean is the best choice for needs/budget than I guess I'll have to decide if I want to try it or not.

One thing worth noting about IPS is that while great for color accuracy, they don't scale up well. Once you get above ~30" or so, the terrible blacks and mediocre uniformity are even more exacerbated.

That's why so many of these larger units use VA panels.

Wow, I have a hard time believing people are fine with a 65" screen so close. :) It's probably because I am the type that gets FOV motion sick in games, but I can't imagine I'd be OK at the range Kyle is sitting and playing a game, though that looks great productivity wise for desktop space.

Its funny, and I guess this happens to a lot of people. I used to go to the store, look for a nice monitor, most I knew was I'd like to have IPS, and I buy it and be happy as well. I use a 1080p LG 27" IPS for PC and PS4 and its been great. I never looked into all this. I made the mistake of looking into all this and now I second guess everything and I'd probably be happy with most.

But I just built a new system w/ some 980 Ti's so I want to step things up.

So I just read the 40" JU6500 does 4k 60hz 4:4:4 if UHD is enabled and set to PC With that setup and my PS4 thrown onto any other available HDMI.

All I really care about is that desktop use is sharp and clear while PC games and PS4 games look great and are fun to play. I'm not going to be sitting there with all kind of test's open, note pad pencil stop watch and breaking down every microscopic thing I want to enjoy it.

So with all that said, is the JU6500 my best choice, any cheaper alternatives? Any reason's I wouldn't like this one with my setup?

Well, one thing for sure, this JS9000 is about 100 times cooler than those three Dell panels cooking my face off.

Wow, I have a hard time believing people are fine with a 65" screen so close. :) It's probably because I am the type that gets FOV motion sick in games, but I can't imagine I'd be OK at the range Kyle is sitting and playing a game, though that looks great productivity wise for desktop space.

This 48 is pretty damn big, but I think a 40 would have been too small. No 40 in the 9000 series either and I wanted the 8 core processor thinking it would help with lag....which I have not seen any of yet. I am already getting used to the 48 this morning. Certainly makes me realize how bad my posture is when I need to look up to the top edge of the screen.

No more goddamn bezels and a LOT more pixels vertically which is awesome. The bezels never really bothered me too much during gaming, but could be a PITA on the desktop.

Quite a few people seem to be buying these for gaming. No complaints about motion blur? Particularly with the black to grey transition?

I bought the JU6500 and returned it because of this. An example of what I saw can be viewed at HERE

Maybe I'm being too picky... I want the 40" JU7500 for the curve, but expect the same motion blur issue... I'm still determining if it's something I can live with.

Can anyone tell me if any of the Sammy TV's would be able to VESA mount to a monitor desk arm and remove the stand so the TV sits flush with a desk?

like this-
BzZZXso.jpg

Its funny, and I guess this happens to a lot of people. I used to go to the store, look for a nice monitor, most I knew was I'd like to have IPS, and I buy it and be happy as well. I use a 1080p LG 27" IPS for PC and PS4 and its been great. I never looked into all this. I made the mistake of looking into all this and now I second guess everything and I'd probably be happy with most.

But I just built a new system w/ some 980 Ti's so I want to step things up.

So I just read the 40" JU6500 does 4k 60hz 4:4:4 if UHD is enabled and set to PC With that setup and my PS4 thrown onto any other available HDMI.

All I really care about is that desktop use is sharp and clear while PC games and PS4 games look great and are fun to play. I'm not going to be sitting there with all kind of test's open, note pad pencil stop watch and breaking down every microscopic thing I want to enjoy it.

So with all that said, is the JU6500 my best choice, any cheaper alternatives? Any reason's I wouldn't like this one with my setup?

It's the best of the inexpensive choices. If you primary using this for gaming, I would go with the 48" 7000 series.
I use mine for work so I bought a 40" with higher PPI. I didn't want to look up to the corners of the 48" all day.

No I would not be happy. But is that a common problem with the philips in general or was that simply a bad unit?

It's an issue with all of them.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041293234&postcount=11

Quite a few people seem to be buying these for gaming. No complaints about motion blur? Particularly with the black to grey transition?

I bought the JU6500 and returned it because of this. An example of what I saw can be viewed at HERE

Maybe I'm being too picky... I want the 40" JU7500 for the curve, but expect the same motion blur issue... I'm still determining if it's something I can live with.

The 7 series has less motion blur than the 6 series. Depending on your sensitivity to blur, well let's just say that the difference was huge to some and minor to others. Most people do agree that there's noticeably less blur on the 7 series. It's worth a shot.

The 7 series has less motion blur than the 6 series. Depending on your sensitivity to blur, well let's just say that the difference was huge to some and minor to others. Most people do agree that there's noticeably less blur on the 7 series. It's worth a shot.

If I am.not mistaken this is because the ju7500 uses an actual 120hz panel, and updates it twice per screen refresh, which reduces ghosting.

Thanks guys. Any thoughts on the benefits of Edge Lit backlights? My most prominent choice has been the JU7500, but recently I've been thinking about the JS9000. Cost is a factor, as is the size (I'd prefer 40" vs. 48"), but if there is enough benefit to image quality and performance in the JS9000, then I may just change my mind.

It's the best of the inexpensive choices. If you primary using this for gaming, I would go with the 48" 7000 series.
I use mine for work so I bought a 40" with higher PPI. I didn't want to look up to the corners of the 48" all day.

I can't afford the 48" and didn't really want to go that high. Prior to deciding to get a TV I was going to get an Acer or Benq 32" IPS 4k so 40" is enough.

How is the latest firmware on these?

I can't afford the 48" and didn't really want to go that high. Prior to deciding to get a TV I was going to get an Acer or Benq 32" IPS 4k so 40" is enough.

How is the latest firmware on these?

The firmware updates past 1207 have been nothing but improvements.

What differences do you see between the JU and JS series then? Curious as I'm debating between a JU6700 and a JS8500. Wondering if a JU will be good enough. I game but my main purpose for upgrading would be screen size and resolution.

Sorry for the delay in responding. The colors on the JS are a big richer, but I personally don't think for that along it is worth the extra money. If you can afford the JS8500/9000 and want the best color and do more than just PC it is worth it.

I think you will be just fine with the JU series. That being said, be sure to purchase from a seller with a good return policy. It makes trying it out an easier proposition (which is 1000x more informative than days spent online reading every review, and forum thread)

Right?! That was the main reason I started looking at changing my setup is that My triple u3011's were putting me to sleep!

I'll used to pick my tea glass up off the desk to go get a refill and it would be about 105F on the side facing the monitors.

Ok. So have read more then a few of you that upgraded from the Dell U3011 that I use to the new Samsung, how it makes the Dell IPS panel look like a cheap TN. I think my Dell looks beautiful viewing the desktop or playing games. I scowered Youtube and have yet to see what gaming looks like with the 9000 series. Can someone post some video rather then screenshots of what gaming on this beast is like? I was going to wait for OLED or perhaps 4k/144Hz, but I think that's a ways off. If the input lag isn't terrible and if its true what people say that this blows away my U3011, I would gladly drop 2 grand on the 48" 9000

Ok. So have read more then a few of you that upgraded from the Dell U3011 that I use to the new Samsung, how it makes the Dell IPS panel look like a cheap TN. I think my Dell looks beautiful viewing the desktop or playing games. I scowered Youtube and have yet to see what gaming looks like with the 9000 series. Can someone post some video rather then screenshots of what gaming on this beast is like? I was going to wait for OLED or perhaps 4k/144Hz, but I think that's a ways off. If the input lag isn't terrible and if its true what people say that this blows away my U3011, I would gladly drop 2 grand on the 48" 9000

If they're still giving away the free S6, this is the time to buy the JS9000.

You would need to see them side by side to notice any difference on a video or image.
Even then it wouldnt be like real life but you should get some idea.

Looking at a video/picture of just the TV wont tell you anything because you are viewing it on your monitor with no other frame of reference.

Sorry for the delay in responding. The colors on the JS are a big richer, but I personally don't think for that along it is worth the extra money. If you can afford the JS8500/9000 and want the best color and do more than just PC it is worth it.

I think you will be just fine with the JU series. That being said, be sure to purchase from a seller with a good return policy. It makes trying it out an easier proposition (which is 1000x more informative than days spent online reading every review, and forum thread)

I appreciate your input and feedback. I couldn't agree more with the return policy bit, definitely important!

You should ask Greyex. He returned the Phillips and bought the Samsung. Also, will you be happy with this on your screen? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmmhsORVv5c.

Philips is a joke, compared to my Samsung 6550 ( 40 " )
:)
I use Game Mode with those settings :
Backlight - 18
Contrast - 88
Brightness - 30
Sharpness - 0
Colour - 85
Advanced Settings :
Dynamic contrast - off
Flesh Tone - 0
Colour Space- Native
Gamma - 0
Picture Options :
Colour Tone - Standard
HDMI Black level - Normal
HDMI UHD Color -ON
With those settings i can't notice any lag at all. I do not play FPS games
I couldn't be happier, i love this monitor / TV :)

If they're still giving away the free S6, this is the time to buy the JS9000.
Sorry for my ignorance and laziness to look through the thread. Which site is offering the free s6?

You would need to see them side by side to notice any difference on a video or image.
Even then it wouldnt be like real life but you should get some idea.

Looking at a video/picture of just the TV wont tell you anything because you are viewing it on your monitor with no other frame of reference.

Yea I know everyone interprets the visuals to what is good to their eyes. Just wondering if throwing down 2 grand for a 48" 9000 is worth it as I just bought 2 980 Ti';s or would I wait till next year where perhaps we will see 4k/144HZ or OLED in an affordable 40-55" variant

How in the world do you fix the annoying window re-sizing every time you change input sources?

Zarathustra[H];1041752726 said:
I recall from earlier in the thread that some have had trouble with the vesa mounts. Not sure what that trouble was though.

I am assuming it requires an adapter?

I am thinking about grabbing one of the 48"s J9000's but I need to have it flush with my desk. With the stand it would be way too tall

Zarathustra[H];1041747963 said:
Since we keep getting the same setup questions over and over again, I decided to go ahead and summarize what we have learned in the last 200+ pages into one setup guide with pictures.

Please check it out here and let me know if I missed anything or got anything wrong.

This is a pretty good guide. The only thing that is not accurate anymore is the need of YCbCr mode. We only used that before because HDMI Black level setting was buggy.

This has been fixed in recent firmware. The best setting to use now is to set the NVIDIA Video card to RGB Full mode (0-255) and the TV HDMI Black level: Normal. That gives you full 0-255 color range and the setting saves on TV now.

Otherwise its a great guide and hopefully will cut down on the number of basic setup questions.

Philips is a joke, compared to my Samsung 6550 ( 40 " )
:)
I use Game Mode with those settings :
Backlight - 18
Contrast - 88
Brightness - 30
Sharpness - 0
Colour - 85
Advanced Settings :
Dynamic contrast - off
Flesh Tone - 0
Colour Space- Native
Gamma - 0
Picture Options :
Colour Tone - Standard
HDMI Black level - Normal
HDMI UHD Color -ON
With those settings i can't notice any lag at all. I do not play FPS games
I couldn't be happier, i love this monitor / TV :)

IS the 6550 the same as the 6500?

Also, in game mode you're only getting 4k@ 4:2:2 I think right? ... How did you find the Samsung in PC mode compared to the philips? More lag?

Last edited:

How in the world do you fix the annoying window re-sizing every time you change input sources?

Another way to do it is remove pin 19 on the hdmi cable, this makes the graphics card always think the monitor is never disconnected (which is what changing input does), I did this for my 39" seiki so everything didn't resize while the monitor is off or change sources. Works great.

Another way to do it is remove pin 19 on the hdmi cable, this makes the graphics card always think the monitor is never disconnected (which is what changing input does), I did this for my 39" seiki so everything didn't resize while the monitor is off or change sources. Works great.

I just bought this cable along with the monitor today. Sounds scary :(

I am thinking about grabbing one of the 48"s J9000's but I need to have it flush with my desk. With the stand it would be way too tall

This is the stand I am using on the JS9000 48". The bottom of the TV is 2.25" off the top of the desk and that is the lowest it can go. I'm sure there are others out there, but it is the exact height I need and matches my side JU6700 40" displays.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

Think most standard Ergotron arms have 100 x 100 VESA mounts. Not seeing an adapter from 100x100 to 400x400. Looks like it might have to be done in steps 100x100 -> 200x200 -> 400x400. Also the Ergotrons have weight limits that the 48" might exceed by too much.

Someone can correct me though.

VESA 100x100 to 200x200: http://goo.gl/ElznSv
VESA 200x200 to 400x400:http://goo.gl/zqmaIk

Zarathustra[H];1041753021 said:
It is not, I have never experienced it, but I only have one input hooked up to mine.

I will look into it tomorrow. Is there any fix other than tearing apart HDMI cables and removing pins?

Cyph posted this earlier in the thread:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041580147&postcount=2528

It's a Windows/software issue, not an issue with the TV, and should be solvable without modifying the HDMI cable. So this might be helpful to some.

Zarathustra[H];1041753021 said:
It is not, I have never experienced it, but I only have one input hooked up to mine.

I will look into it tomorrow. Is there any fix other than tearing apart HDMI cables and removing pins?

I just bought this cable along with the monitor today. Sounds scary :(

You can try the post above mine, but I had issues when I tried that with my seiki. Honestly the cable method is much easier and faster. You just get a razor knife, lift pin 19, get some small pliers and pull it out. Takes a couple min and you don't need to tear apart the cable, you just do it all from the end you plug in.

Think most standard Ergotron arms have 100 x 100 VESA mounts. Not seeing an adapter from 100x100 to 400x400. Looks like it might have to be done in steps 100x100 -> 200x200 -> 400x400. Also the Ergotrons have weight limits that the 48" might exceed by too much.

Someone can correct me though.

VESA 100x100 to 200x200: http://goo.gl/ElznSv
VESA 200x200 to 400x400:http://goo.gl/zqmaIk

I got the tall pole Ergotron LX, originally for the 40" Philips, which I didn't end up buying. Well, I did, but then canceled while on a wait list after I heard about better monitors on the horizon.

Anyway, I plan to do this: http://www.mountsdirect.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_130&products_id=2247

Put that on the arm. I had also ordered a 200x200 adapter, but I might not end up needing it. I'm willing to bet the Ergotron can support the monitor just fine. They under-rate for safety reasons I'd bet. The spring is adjustable. And anyway, it's gonna be sitting on the surface of the desk most of the time. I'm not worried it can support the JS9000.

IS the 6550 the same as the 6500?

Also, in game mode you're only getting 4k@ 4:2:2 I think right? ... How did you find the Samsung in PC mode compared to the philips? More lag?

Yes, in Game mode only 4:2:2 but for me it looks great.
In PC Mode the lag it's a bit higher but as long as you don't play FPS games, it's ok

Back