New Samsung 4k for everyone.

Here's a picture of the new arrival, a 65" JU7500 - barely fits on the desk, but hey - what the hell. Go big, or go home. :D

Wow I briefly considered a 65 inch JS9000 but there was just no way (would not even fit in my car). I got the 55 inch JS9000 and its still huge.

I found that lowering the monitor as much as possible helps. Its not the width of these monitors that is troublesome its the height. In my case I put the monitor behind the desk on two low tray tables. That lowers the monitor about 6 inches (with the bottom edge of screen now about 2 inches below the tabletop). It helps a lot with height. It will put the monitor a few inches further away but at 65inch that wont be an issue.

This is what it looks like:

http://i.imgur.com/cadFt8Y.jpg

I put the monitor on a cheap pair of these (stock item in most walmarts, this link is for 5 piece which you won't need that many):

http://www.walmart.com/ip/5-Pc-Tray-Table-Set/44885512

Here's a picture of the new arrival, a 65" JU7500 - barely fits on the desk, but hey - what the hell. Go big, or go home. :D

9NmuObU.jpg

This is unreal man. How are you not scorching your eyeballs? I love it though ;)

Damn you bastards, i'm fighting so hard not to upgrade my poverty 24" monitor right now, but you're not making it any easier with this.

That looks really good, but man i don't know if i could handle screen that big on my desk, i'm afraid that 32-34" is too big for me. Gaming must be a blast on that beast though, immersion factor is probably through the roof.

Congrats

I had to buy a small book shelf to set my 40 inch on and set my desk in front of it. Gives me about 36 inches of space from tv. Otherwise headaches galore.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-brand/samsung/js9000

No review for it yet at least here.

I'd also be curious to know if it can do 1080p 120Hz.

It has the same octacore processor as the JS9500. It should be virtually the same numbers as the JS9500. No 120Hz on the 9500 means none on the JS9000.

Input Lag: 23.2 ms
With Interpolation: 145.5 ms
Outside Game Mode: 154.6 ms

The input lag is very low under game mode. PC mode has a higher input lag of 56.6 ms, which is a bit unfortunate if you want chroma 4:4:4.

Game mode for FPS, PC mode for everything else.

This weekend I got 50" 7100. Haven't tried it, BB guy opened box before buying and it powered on. I havent tryed it yet as I ordered hdmi online

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031TRZX2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

Hopefully I get 4:4:4 @4k@60hz on this 25" cable...worried its a bit long to do this, it lists 18gbps, hopefully this isnt marketing bs. Its going to be useed for tv/movies and some gaming depending on games, as I only have a Gtx970

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Nice Modi2, what speakers are those? I toyed with using the 50" 7100 as desktop but its going to side wall screen I can watch from bed if I want. Its on a wall mount.

9NmuObU.jpg

Hmm maybe I should replace my TV with a 48JU7000 instead of buying a new monitor... My TV has a lot of vertical banding which pretty much ruins racing games and also a blue tint which cannot be removed with calibration. I dont know if the 48JU7000 is edge or direct lit, most reviews say edge lit, so it would probably still have vertical banding?

Hmm maybe I should replace my TV with a 48JU7000 instead of buying a new monitor... My TV has a lot of vertical banding which pretty much ruins racing games and also a blue tint which cannot be removed with calibration. I dont know if the 48JU7000 is edge or direct lit, most reviews say edge lit, so it would probably still have vertical banding?

Are you referring to actual color depth banding, or uneven color intensity that often shows up over panning sky shots and such? I haven't seen a edge lit TV yet that didn't have the inconsistencies over panning shots of a blue or mostly gray background.

Damn you bastards, i'm fighting so hard not to upgrade my poverty 24" monitor right now, but you're not making it any easier with this.

That looks really good, but man i don't know if i could handle screen that big on my desk, i'm afraid that 32-34" is too big for me. Gaming must be a blast on that beast though, immersion factor is probably through the roof.

Congrats

How far do you sit from the screen. I'm 22" from my 32" at work and 31" from my 40" at home

Congrats

How far do you sit from the screen. I'm 22" from my 32" at work and 31" from my 40" at home

Going straight from 24" to 48" (or larger) will likely take a lot of adjustment.

I did it a little bit more incrementally and it helped.

16" CRT late 90's -> 22" CRT Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 510 (2001) -> 24" Dell 2405FPW (2005) -> 30" Dell U3011 (2010) -> 48" Samsung JS9000 (last month).

Every single time I stepped up, it felt unnaturally large at first, including the 22" CRT, but I adapted to it.

The toughest one thus far I think has been the 48". I have it pushed as far back as I can on my desk (which winds up being just above an arms length away, maybe 2.5"?, and sometimes, a month later, it still feels a little large for productivity type purposes.

It feels PERFECT in games though, I even lean in sometimes to get higher clarity on certain portions of the screen, and use the largeness of the screen for peripheral vision.

So, my guess would be for you, that it would be a huge difference, but that you'd eventually get used to it. Make sure you have a setup hich allows you to back further away if needed, and if still concerned, go with a 40" JU7500, rather than a 48" JS9000.

My post from a few pages went unanswered, probably because it was the last one on a page...

I have a slightly older video card (AMD 7950) which I'm not going to part with immediately. I was thinking of using a Samsung TV as this year's computer upgrade while saving for a 2016 computer revamp. What is the best resolution I could get from this TV over HDMI 1.4? I'm completely willing to sacrifice a portion of the screen until I get a hardware upgrade (either a new video card or converter). If I can drive a 3840x1440 or so, that would be "good enough". Or, if I could do something crazy like 1920x2160 on two separate outputs.

My post from a few pages went unanswered, probably because it was the last one on a page...

I have a slightly older video card (AMD 7950) which I'm not going to part with immediately. I was thinking of using a Samsung TV as this year's computer upgrade while saving for a 2016 computer revamp. What is the best resolution I could get from this TV over HDMI 1.4? I'm completely willing to sacrifice a portion of the screen until I get a hardware upgrade (either a new video card or converter). If I can drive a 3840x1440 or so, that would be "good enough". Or, if I could do something crazy like 1920x2160 on two separate outputs.

Well, what do you mean by "can drive"?

I'm not 100% familiar with the 7950, but if you are limited only by the HDMI port (and not something else about the 7950's design) and it behaves like my 2013 Titan, your experience will be something like this:

You'll be able to display the entire 4k resolution, but you'll have to pick between doing so at 30hz with 4:4:4 chroma which will feel a bit choppy, even for desktop use, OR use reduced chroma (ugly, but not awful) at 60hz.

I don't have any experience with this monitor on AMD hardware though. Someone else might be able to chime in with more detail.

The AMD 7950 specs tend to agree with the above suggestion though, as they claim 4k UHDTV support, but only have HDMI 1.4

I know the "use every pixel" options-- 30hz or chroma degradation-- but I'd just buy a cheaper TV if I were willing to settle with that. What inspired my thought was the people who are doing 21:9 custom resolutions. What is the highest resolution I can display at 60hz 4:4:4 over HDMI 1.4? Is 3840x1440 possible? 3440x1440 (non-stretched)? And also, are there PIP/side-by-side modes? And what can this particular TV handle?

I'm not sure if anyone has looked into it because, why wouldn't you use the whole screen, or why would you spend that much on a TV without a supporting video card. But I just want to know all my current limits (and decide on a different purchase/trade afterwards).

I know the "use every pixel" options-- 30hz or chroma degradation-- but I'd just buy a cheaper TV if I were willing to settle with that. What inspired my thought was the people who are doing 21:9 custom resolutions. What is the highest resolution I can display at 60hz 4:4:4 over HDMI 1.4? Is 3840x1440 possible? 3440x1440 (non-stretched)? And also, are there PIP/side-by-side modes? And what can this particular TV handle?

I'm not sure if anyone has looked into it because, why wouldn't you use the whole screen, or why would you spend that much on a TV without a supporting video card. But I just want to know all my current limits (and decide on a different purchase/trade afterwards).

The TV does not support any resolutions in between 1080p and 4k. Basically you get the intermediate resolutions via GPU scaling (i.e. GPU outputs 4k but parts of that are black or is scaled from lower resolution like 1440p). It helps with performance but will do nothing as far as HDMI 2.0 requirements.

Basically with HDMI 1.4 you are looking at 4kp60 4-2-0, 4kp30 4-4-4 or 1080p60 4-4-4

Last edited:

All 2015 Samsung TVs are edge lit except the JS9500 line which has the FALD array (direct LED lit). Those start at $5000 65 inch model though.

The quality of the edge lighting on the Samsung 2015 is excellent.

The JU line tends to run to blue color as well. The JS line (i.e. JS8500, JS9000, JS9500) has the new quantum dot nano crystals which dramatically improves the red colors (and medium improvement to green colors) so the blue is much more balanced.

Wow, what a ride. Started this thread a few days again... I believe I'll be looking at the 48" JU6700 first, then grabbing a 980ti later over my 780ti. Hopefully in the next few weeks!

It was nice being able to gather tons of info from everyone on their experiences with their respective sets. Reading this all the way through really solidified my desire to buy one of these sets, definitely worth the time if you are interested at all.

The TV does not support any resolutions in between 1080p and 4k. Basically you get the intermediate resolutions via GPU scaling (i.e. GPU outputs 4k but parts of that are black or is scaled from lower resolution like 1440p). It helps with performance but will do nothing as far as HDMI 2.0 requirements.

Basically with HDMI 1.4 you are looking at 4kp60 4-2-0, 4kp30 4-4-4 or 1080p60 4-4-4

That's not true. You can make custom resolutions and turn of GPU scaling. Resolutions are not scaled but are displayed pixel for pixel.

Edit: The only two native resolutions supported are 1080P and 4K. Everything else can be displayed non-scaled (the middle of the screen with full sharpness).

That's not true. You can make custom resolutions and turn of GPU scaling. Resolutions are not scaled but are displayed pixel for pixel.

Edit: The only two native resolutions supported are 1080P and 4K. Everything else can be displayed non-scaled (the middle of the screen with full sharpness).

No. Do this and then click on the button on your TV remote that shows the resolution/info (the button in the middle of the 4 arrow buttons).

You will see that the TV is still receiving 3840x2160 p60 signal. All that turning off GPU scaling does is it makes the card output 4k picture with your now smaller picture in the middle and the borders black. But the card still has to drive the entire 4k resolution. Just part of the screen is now always driven as black color.

No. Do this and then click on the button on your TV remote that shows the resolution/info (the button in the middle of the 4 arrow buttons).

You will see that the TV is still receiving 3840x2160 p60 signal. All that turning off GPU scaling does is it makes the card output 4k picture with your now smaller picture in the middle and the borders black. But the card still has to drive the entire 4k resolution. Just part of the screen is now always driven as black color.

Perhaps. However, I'm not sure if the scaling is done on the GPU:

scaling.png

I believe a scaler is involved, but it's the display that's doing the scaling, not the GPU. I just realized that 1080P is NOT a native resolution as it's not listed as native in the Nvidia control panel. If that's the case, if the GPU is doing the scaling, then turning of scaling should have every non-native resolution be letterboxed. However, that is not the case with 1080P. It's always full screen. I believe the scaling is done on the display itself.

I'm not sure if its buried in this thread but I'm really considering one of these. I don't see the ju6xxx series recommended that often? Any reason? Also, with the current promo for the Galaxy S6 I was thinking about the js8500, but the first post has some info about that specific US version having higher input lag than the rest. Is that post still accurate or has firmware fixed that, or is there a reason for that version being different from the rest?

1080p is actually a native resolution of this monitor. If you set a 1080p resolution and press the info button you see the monitor receiving 1080p.

Just to be sure I used CRU to add a custom resolution of 2560x1440 to EDID to make the video card think the monitor can drive 1440p. No luck. When attempting to set the 1440p then the monitor displays the "unsupported resolution" message.

I'm not sure if its buried in this thread but I'm really considering one of these. I don't see the ju6xxx series recommended that often? Any reason? Also, with the current promo for the Galaxy S6 I was thinking about the js8500, but the first post has some info about that specific US version having higher input lag than the rest. Is that post still accurate or has firmware fixed that, or is there a reason for that version being different from the rest?

The JU6500/6700 TVs are a solid choice and lots of us have them. They are the least expensive and are the best bang for the buck in my opinion. I have 2 6700 40" on the sides of my 48" JS9000. Reds on the JS9000 are a big deeper/more vibrant. That being said, I really enjoy the 6700's as much as the JS9000 for normal use. If you are looking to use the TV for more than just a computer display, then the higher models become very attractive. The 7100/7500 and JS8500/9000 all have the 120hz motion rate (not true 120hz) that made movies look better.

As for the input lag on the 8500 - I'm not sure. Hopefully someone else will chime in but I thought it was the same as the JS9000 (just flat vs curved). With the current promo it seems like the 8500 might be a great choice (I'm pretty sure it is part of the promo, but I haven't looked at the details - love my setup and don't want to be tempted into anything else...!)

Good luck.

This weekend I got 50" 7100. Haven't tried it, BB guy opened box before buying and it powered on. I havent tryed it yet as I ordered hdmi online

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031TRZX2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

Hopefully I get 4:4:4 @4k@60hz on this 25" cable...worried its a bit long to do this, it lists 18gbps, hopefully this isnt marketing bs. Its going to be useed for tv/movies and some gaming depending on games, as I only have a Gtx970

Let us know how that cable works out. The 10' version of that cable is working for several of us. I never tried that cable at the longer lengths, but I'm not aware of any cable longer than 15' working at 4K 4:4:4@60hz. They can say that the cable can do 18.2Gps (which is required for 4K 4:4:4@60hz), but most don't work. Here's a list of the ones I tried and that failed:

Aurum Ultra Series 35ft
KabelDirekt 50ft
BlueRigger 50ft
Cable Matters 50ft
Top One 50ft HDMI to DVI
eForCity 50ft HDMI to DVI
Monoprice Ultra Slim 18Gbps 15ft

Edit: Just tried 1 other cable (forgot that I had it) Aurum Ultra Series 30ft (latest version) - Failed. I bought the cable for another purpose, but figured I'd try it just in case...!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The JU6500/6700 TVs are a solid choice and lots of us have them. They are the least expensive and are the best bang for the buck in my opinion. I have 2 6700 40" on the sides of my 48" JS9000. Reds on the JS9000 are a big deeper/more vibrant. That being said, I really enjoy the 6700's as much as the JS9000 for normal use. If you are looking to use the TV for more than just a computer display, then the higher models become very attractive. The 7100/7500 and JS8500/9000 all have the 120hz motion rate (not true 120hz) that made movies look better.

As for the input lag on the 8500 - I'm not sure. Hopefully someone else will chime in but I thought it was the same as the JS9000 (just flat vs curved). With the current promo it seems like the 8500 might be a great choice (I'm pretty sure it is part of the promo, but I haven't looked at the details - love my setup and don't want to be tempted into anything else...!)

Good luck.

For purely gaming. So far what I have gathered throughout all these pages that the biggest difference between 48JS9000 and 48JU6700 are colors and response time? How big are these of an impact on color and response for purely gaming? I love ips monitors so I'm all for better colors (not a stickler for low response), but it's also $2k vs >$1k. Do you think the price difference is warranted? Lastly do you have any pics since you have these side by side lol. Sorry to bombard you with questions but you have both the monitors I'm trying to decide between. Thanks

Hi all.
I just registered but I have read this thread for a while now. Almost done reading everything :)

I have a question.
My JS9005 (european version of js9000) will arrive on friday. I read some 100 pages ago that someone had issues with Windows 10 and had to go back to Windows 8.1.
Does anyone else have issues? Has it been fixed? I'm planning to install Windows 10 in a few days.

The JU6500/6700 TVs are a solid choice and lots of us have them. They are the least expensive and are the best bang for the buck in my opinion. I have 2 6700 40" on the sides of my 48" JS9000.
Please help me, vorpel.
I'm looking for an ICC profile for my Samsung 6550
Did you hardware calibrated yours ? Is it worth to buy a calibrator ?
Thanks

About the same, 21-22" away from the screen. The thing is, desk is all the way to the wall already and i can't move the screen back any further. I was thinking that 27" predator or upcoming Asus equivalent should be plenty, but now i'm not so sure anymore. Probably the best thing to do is go to Best Buy or Microcenter and bury my face in one of those and see how it really looks like when you're 20 inches away.

What's the latest on 40" vs. 48" regarding scaling? What I'm hearing is that text (what I'm mainly interesting in) looks better on the 48".

Currently have a 48" JU6500 sitting unopened and wanted to make sure I should keep it and not get a 40".

What's the latest on 40" vs. 48" regarding scaling? What I'm hearing is that text (what I'm mainly interesting in) looks better on the 48".

Currently have a 48" JU6500 sitting unopened and wanted to make sure I should keep it and not get a 40".

I'm not entirely sure what it is you are asking.

From what I understand (I only have a JS9000 48" and have not compared the models side by side) as long as you enable 4:4:4 chroma, Text looks fantastic on all of them, but it is going to differ in size between them.

When you says scaling, are you referring to default text size?

If we look at the PPI of each you'll find that a 40" 4k screen has similar, but slightly smaller text size than a 27" 2560x1440 screen, which may be small for many. I found myself squinting on occasion on my 30" 2560x1600, and it has slightly larger text than that)

A 48" 4k screen will have similar, but slightly larger text than a 1920x1080 23" screen (or 1920x1200 24").

Code:
Diameter	Resolution	PPI		% Diff vs 40" 4k	% Diff vs 48" 4k
23"		1920x1080	95.77857261	15.00%			-4.17%
24"		1920x1200	94.33981132	16.75%			-2.71%
27"		2560x1440	108.7855393	1.25%			-15.63%
30"		2560x1600	100.6291321	9.46%			-8.79%
28"		3840x2160	157.3505121	-30.00%			-41.67%
40"		3840x2160	110.1453585	0.00%			-16.67%
48"		3840x2160	91.78779875	20.00%			0.00%

What is "better" is really is going to depend on your eyes, what you are used to, and how close you want to sit. There is no objectively "best"b when it comes to anything. Everything is subjective, and what is best for one person, may not be the best for another.

I like the text on my 48" JS9000, for what that's worth :p

Does the un50ju6500 work with the mgo app to stream movies in 4k? There is a movie I want to see and the 4k copy is only available through mgo but I don't want to upgrade the tv firmware (adding input lag) unless it can stream it in 4k.

Thanks for checking intermediate resolutions, I didn't realize it was done on the graphics card. It looks like I'd need to upgrade my video card for the full benefit of all those pixels. Or wait for the DisplayPort->HDMI 2 converter.

For purely gaming. So far what I have gathered throughout all these pages that the biggest difference between 48JS9000 and 48JU6700 are colors and response time? How big are these of an impact on color and response for purely gaming? I love ips monitors so I'm all for better colors (not a stickler for low response), but it's also $2k vs >$1k. Do you think the price difference is warranted? Lastly do you have any pics since you have these side by side lol. Sorry to bombard you with questions but you have both the monitors I'm trying to decide between. Thanks

The colors on the JU and JS series looked night and day better than my Dell u3011's.

For gaming purposes, I do not think the JS is worth double the price.

I know I posted these a while back, but here they are again:

Triple setup - 40/48/40 (6700/9000/6700)
MRN8jNp.png

Text size comparison between 40 and 48
WXZTqAj.jpg

I originally had a JU6700 48", but when my wife wanted one and I was able to get $200 on the JS9000 and gave her the 48" 6700. It just made it too tempting to pass up!

Anyone play any MOBA's on these, curious since I play League of Legends like half the time I'm gaming. Never really hear about League in 4k though.

Thanks!

Does the un50ju6500 work with the mgo app to stream movies in 4k? There is a movie I want to see and the 4k copy is only available through mgo but I don't want to upgrade the tv firmware (adding input lag) unless it can stream it in 4k.

What makes you think more recent firmware is going to give you MORE input lag?

My input lag has only become better and better with each firmware upgrade.

Back