New Mac Mini (Official Now)

I'm aware of the pricing: 4GB modules are expensive. What's silly is that it's offered as an option.
Why not offer it? Just gives consumers more options. I bet someone out there wouldn't mind spending $1000 to have 8gb of RAM in their iMac.

Well I bought a Mac Mini today. I'm still deciding on where I want to put it and it's killing me.

A. Sell the Macbook, put the Mini in it's place, buy another Mini for the living room, buy a netbook for portability

B. Keep the Macbook, put the Mini in the living room, unplug the Macbook anytime I need to take it somewhere.

Why is this so difficult?!

At any rate, I should hopefully have my Mini by the end of the week. :D

which version did you end up buying?

while i'm not too happy with the $100 increase in price... i'm not in that big of a hurry to get a new mini asap. plus the lower end nvidia card is putting me off too... I don't do that much with the mini, but still, I'd like to be set for future software needs you know....

i'll wait it out a few months and see if they lower the price.

The Mini is overpriced.
You have to buy an adapter to hook it to a display.
You will have to work over an extra 20 bucks b/c the remote that used to be standard is no longer included.
Apple is nickel & diming & not realistically pricing their computers. EpicFAIL on Apple's part.

Hey at least the new low end Mini has a DVD burner, before it only had a DVDROM/CDRW.

Anyone looking for a slight discount can go to MacMall and get $5 off instant and $25 MIR... And I bet there will be a few on eBay and if cashback deals are still going on then 8%-25% can be saved that way...

Base model. I plan on doing other upgrades myself. I can get a WD Scorpio Black HDD (320GB 720RPM) + 4GB of RAM for about $150.

Lol that's precisely what ordered this morning after I got the base config mini.

The Mini is overpriced.
You have to buy an adapter to hook it to a display.
You will have to work over an extra 20 bucks b/c the remote that used to be standard is no longer included.
Apple is nickel & diming & not realistically pricing their computers. EpicFAIL on Apple's part.

You do? I'm 99.9999999999% positive that a mini-DVI to DVI adapter comes with the Mini:

Fake edit: Yep.

In the box
* Mac mini
* Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter
* 110W power adapter and power cord
* Install/restore DVDs
* Printed and electronic documentation
http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html

Also Monoprice is making mini-displayport cables/adapters as well which will probably be way cheaper than what Apple charges.

Hey at least the new low end Mini has a DVD burner, before it only had a DVDROM/CDRW.

Anyone looking for a slight discount can go to MacMall and get $5 off instant and $25 MIR... And I bet there will be a few on eBay and if cashback deals are still going on then 8%-25% can be saved that way...

better discount.... marry a teacher or ask a educator friend to buy it for you.... 10-15% off if i recall, i haven't had the wife go in and bu anything in a while....

better discount.... marry a teacher or ask a educator friend to buy it for you.... 10-15% off if i recall, i haven't had the wife go in and bu anything in a while....

Is that just for teachers or does that apply to students as well? With my student discount the Mac Mini is $549 or 749. If I know someone who is a teacher will it be any cheaper?

Is that just for teachers or does that apply to students as well? With my student discount the Mac Mini is $549 or 749. If I know someone who is a teacher will it be any cheaper?

That's pretty good. I ordered through the government EPP site and it was $563 for me. Tax bumped it up back to $600 though. :(

Amazon will have it for 1% off soon ($594 but no tax and I have Prime).

not sure on the student rate.... i just remember when i got my macbook about 2 years ago i got a good discount of over $150 (could've been 10% i can't remember).

Anyone can buy from the education store. But hmmmm don't... Lying is bad *cough*cough*

I placed an order through Macmall and using Live Cashback. They have a $25 mail-in rebate and the Live Cashback gives you an additional 3%. They sure love their mail-in rebates though. As there is one for the "free shipping" and the iWork I purchased with it ($30 mail-in.. but its through Apple). No tax for me. $556.03 after mail-in rebate/cashback for just the Mini. Not too shabby as long as I don't have any rebate issues...

Ordered a set of 2x2GB DDR3 SO-DIMMs and a 500GB drive from newegg too. Also found a person on eBay selling the mini Display Port to Dual-Link for my 30" monitor for 59.99 + 12 shipping (yes I know about the problems.. but I'm hopeful.. kind of). Instant 8% cashback through Live Cashback from that particular seller.

I know.. Microsoft Live Cashback is giving me some decent discounts.. ;)

I have a friend that works for the local Apple store, but I'd feel like a mooch if I begged for the discount. Plus the 10-15% he could get me ends up being about the same after tax as this deal I worked up.

Well I'm glad i didn't bother waiting before building my PC. I was interested in a Mini but $600 is not worth it for the specs. If it was $500 with atleast 2gb ram and 250gb HD I think that would be the sweet spot. Or a mid level tower for $800, like they'd ever do that :rolleyes:

what i love most about the new mac mini, is that it's causing a drop in prices for used older ones :)

good bye appleTV, hello "old" macmini with boxee.

hahas do u think they would have specs on a leaked model of a leaked picture?

Hey guys, I was wondering if they use the P series of mobile Core 2 Duo? Because if so, you could put up to a 2.4GHz CPU in the new Mac Mini.

Are you serious??? That is the stupidest thing they've done yet! Where did you find out it wasn't socketed?

Are you serious??? That is the stupidest thing they've done yet! Where did you find out it wasn't socketed?

Its all over this and the macrumors forums. And probably just about every other Apple forum. Agreed though, dumb move.

How good are these Mac Minis as media centres? I've been used to using Windows and barring the occasional troublesome file most videos playback just fine using a good codec pack + MPC-HC or VLC.

Aside from the lack of CPU upgradability the new mini is quite appealing, but I always worry with Apple that I will be limited to the formats they choose e.g. like no FLAC on my ipod

Front row is alright but I prefer Media Center. You know, you could always install Windows on this thing...

Front row is alright but I prefer Media Center. You know, you could always install Windows on this thing...

that is a distinct possibility :) though I'd rather not buy another Windows licence unless I need to.

Np problem. Front Row is Quicktime based... meaning it plays like 10% of the media out there.

Plex even has the option to take over the Apple remote so that when you press the Menu button, Plex opens instead of Frontrow.

Boxee>>Plex, you can't do netflix with plex.

On the side note, the price stinks for what you get. 1GB of RAM is a J O K E! as well as the CPU I was waiting for the new mini before building my HTPC hackintosh and boy am I glad. I got a E7400@3GHz 4GB RAM Asus GF9300mobo and 1TB of storage for less then the base model.

Boxee is an interface disaster... good luck with that.

Whats wrong with the interface? I agree it's not as pretty as Plex but far from terrible. I've used Plex before but it's taking these guys eons to add netflix while Boxee had it like a week after the rollout of the service.

Did XBMC get renamed to Plex or is Plex just a fork of XBMC... cause it looks exactly like XBMC...

Its a fork. If you have to pick, use Plex. Its much more actively developed. New releases almost every week.

Yeah, I answered my own question reading the FAQ on their site, I'm still trying to find one that works well with a Harmony remote.

Back