New Egg Banner intrusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

OPUS1

[H]ard|Gawd
Whats up with the NE banner? Every time I switch screens I get a "Do you want to download:
File name: Newegg728hardocp.swf

Damn now we're being set apon by newegg. I like newegg and all but gee wiz Wallie :eek:

do you have macromedia flash installed? there might be a setting somewhere that causes that to happen

Yep that was it, Thanks.
I guess I should be happy that it asked first :rolleyes:

Now this is happening to me... never did it before though.

Flash and shockwave plugins are both installed as it works fine on other sites.

:confused:

Did the banner up there change or something in the last 30 minutes or something? The banner was working fine for me earlier tonight, but now I get the whole "Do you want to download..." message thing.

And yes, I have flash installed (Flash 7 on Linux) and flash on other sites still works. I might just have to flash-block this thing.

That's what I'm wondering too. Something about it had to change tonight because I wasn't getting this before, not even earlier today.

It's extremely annoying getting that popup on every page.

Did the banner up there change or something in the last 30 minutes or something? The banner was working fine for me earlier tonight, but now I get the whole "Do you want to download..." message thing.
Same thing here, running Mozilla v1.8a (5/16/04 build)

mozilla user here, same story, worked fine till like an hour ago lol wtf used to be those newegg scuba diving ads, now instead of a banner it loads a popup and mozilla asks me how to deal with it. just like you guys described.

Yeah, I am not sure about that. I see that Moz is broken now but I dont think the older version did this. All that banner is, is a swf file from NE stuffed in an iFrame.

Oh thank God... it's gone now. :D What a relief!! feels great!! *me goes around and dancing*.

BillLeeLee said:
Well it works in Opera 7 for me right now, but it's still borked in Firefox.
no hon.. the ad has been removed about 30 minutes ago.. Kyle must have removed it.. I didn't do anything and it's gone. It's not because you got Opera7 lol...

Bruce said:
Now this is happening to me... never did it before though.

Flash and shockwave plugins are both installed as it works fine on other sites.

:confused:

me too, and i use firefox, AND i block flash ads

and another person getting it in firefox :mad:

god dam it I wasnt getting it earlier, whats going on, whats causing it?

Neural Interface said:
and another person getting it in firefox :mad:

god dam it I wasnt getting it earlier, whats going on, whats causing it?

ditto

I'm still using an old version of Mozilla (1.4). Same bug for me, and I categorically refuse to install flash/shockwave, totally useless programs to me.
Maybe have a detectionsystem in place to either serve a flash ad (if flash is installed) or a regular animated gif/jpg/text ad if no flash installed?

I think you guys should PULL that ad immediately. You already have complaints on file, and here is another one.

We all love newegg, but this sort of intrusive flash ad could backfire and cause us to NOT like newegg anymore!

If you must have an ad from them, use a static image. No need for flash or any other active ad.

Oh dang!

I thought it was because of upgrading to Firefox 0.9. Right after I downloaded and installed it (which was released a few hours ago), I began to get the "download" popup. I thought it was the browser's fault.

NewEggPopup.jpg

Comes up everytime you go to another page in the forums. It asks you if you want to download the actual ad banner (.swf) and you have to click cancel everytime.

I wish I had read this first. I though Mozilla was screwed up. I just went and reinstalled Mozilla, flash, shockwave, etc. and it's still doing it! :mad:

same thing happening to me in firefox, i have to use IE to get it to go away :(
glad i wasnt the only one lol, i was about to lose my mind ;x

Maybe have a detectionsystem in place to either serve a flash ad (if flash is installed) or a regular animated gif/jpg/text ad if no flash installed?

Several of us who are having problems already have Flash installed, and are able to enjoy Flash content on other pages.

When I see this kind of behavior, it's usually because the web server is sending the wrong Content-Type for a file. Mozilla, Firefox, and other primarily *NIX browsers use the Content-Type header, not the extension, to determine the type of the file.

Actually, yes, I've verified it. The correct MIME type for Flash content is "application/x-shockwave-flash". Hardforum.com is sending a generic "application/octet-stream" MIME type for the banner ads.

lol, oh man, I wish I would have read this a long time ago. I've been going nuts trying to get this problem fixed. I've tried Mozilla/Firefox and Konqueror, I've messed with settings, done everything. I did notice the octet-stream MIME type problem and I tried getting around it, but I couldn't...

Interesting thing here. If you go back or forward the banner will display properly...

It was fixed for a minute or two there. But now it's back... Thanks for workin' on this.

OK, see if it is working now. I have been changing some things around, but the code that is there NOW, is work fine for me in FireFox 0.8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back