New eBay Auction Forum - BETA

Again,hoping the mods arent working overtime with "your price is X,and a guy on ebay is selling for x" and vice versa.
Will ebay feedback now be considered along with heatware??Could open up things for members who do more ebay selling than forum selling.

No, mods will not be getting involved with evaluating sales prices.

I am a bit confused on what you are actually asking for, can you be more specific?

I'll go $5.50 on your used underwear.

Shipping is $10,000. Next day air though.

Have you also thought about adding Amazon marketplace? It works the same way as Ebay except for the bidding part.

Doesn't hardforums also use Amazon affiliate links? http://hardforum.com/announcement.php?f=28&a=92

If so then I would think it would benefit both the forum and the people in the community if items sold in the marketplace are eligible for commissions.

No I have not, but I will look into this.

Maybe have a limit on the number of auctions a person can post so someone with a store doesn't come in and post 1000 auctions one thread at a time and block everyone else from having theirs seen on the first page?

Maybe have a subforum for people with ebay stores to just post their entire store link to keep the above from happening?

I think this is a good idea. Maybe 2 or 3 or 5 threads to start with????

Interesting but I don't really see the advantage of looking for listings here versus searching on eBay itself. I guess this is just giving members a place to advertise their items on eBay free of charge? If so, I'd be wary of people signing up for the forums just to take advantage of the huge traffic [H]ard gets. Maybe have a minimum post requirement and/or a requirement that you need to be an active member here for X days/months/years/millennia/etc?

Interesting but I don't really see the advantage of looking for listings here versus searching on eBay itself. I guess this is just giving members a place to advertise their items on eBay free of charge? If so, I'd be wary of people signing up for the forums just to take advantage of the huge traffic [H]ard gets. Maybe have a minimum post requirement and/or a requirement that you need to be an active member here for X days/months/years/millennia/etc?

We watch for this and have a 100 post limit in place for FSFT. If we find the need in this forum, we can easily make that happen as well.

It would be nice if the Item name, the end date, and the listing price were all in the thread title.

ex:

Kyle's used underwear - Ends 6/21/2012 @ 5:50PM EST - $5.00
The listing price really shouldn't be required considering someone can list something for $1.00 and then put a $500 reserve on it.
Can be a bit misleading.

Where is the like button!?!

I am a wee bit confused though. It says one post per auction but BST rules apply. So should we post each auction in one thread or multiple auctions in one thread?

Let's do one auction per thread right now, that way the titles will be clear as to the content.

Let's allow up to 3 threads currently.

Kyle, one thing that might be an issue is if you put a price in the thread title and it's an auction (and not a buy-it-now price), the bid could go higher than the opener, making the price in the thread title irrelevant. I'd hate to see posters asking for a thread title change every time there's a new bid.

Maybe make price in the thread title mandatory only for B-I-N items?

Well, so far people have been putting the starting price and I see no issue with it.

Where is the like button!?!

I am a wee bit confused though. It says one post per auction but BST rules apply. So should we post each auction in one thread or multiple auctions in one thread?

Kyle, one thing that might be an issue is if you put a price in the thread title and it's an auction (and not a buy-it-now price), the bid could go higher than the opener, making the price in the thread title irrelevant. I'd hate to see posters asking for a thread title change every time there's a new bid.

Maybe make price in the thread title mandatory only for B-I-N items?

I don't see an issue with starting price or BIN. Let's see how it works out. They prices for starts do not need to be updated with the bidding. If people don't understand how auctions work, they will learn. :)

Had about150 views on my auction after the first 4 days. In the last 3 hours I've added a little more than 50. So far seems effective in increasing traffic.

I like this idea...creates competition on eBay as well (forum member sees item..bids, ebay member bids, repeat). I'm not fond of eBay of course but...I do believe this to be of use.

For those wondering why sell on ebay instead of here, Ive had stuff in my FS threads for months without nibbles, even at very low prices. For ebay, find the currently listed similar items with the lowest BIN, subtract $5-10 and expect to sell it for that. Then subtract 13% and estimated shipping costs, and the end total is usually more then you end up with on the forum. I just like giving the forums first dibs on my stuff since its easier, and to help others out with better then ebay prices.

You could have them put a
$5.00AUC = Auction
$5.00BIN = Buy it now

This is a great idea, so I reformatted my title to read like this:

Sound Ordnance B-8PT Car Subwoofer [6/20/12 20:11:55 PDT] AUC $120

I think its pretty easy to read, maybe the end time should go at the end though, idk

You broke your own rules Kyle by not putting a link to your ebay auction page :-D
If old men in Japan used to buy soiled undies, you could probably get more than $5 too....

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Will ebay feedback now be considered along with heatware??Could open up things for members who do more ebay selling than forum selling.

Speaking from just a FS/FT perspective, we don't care what you list as references, we have zero affiliation with heatware or any other feedback system. Whether or not your buyer sees it as credible is up to them, we're not involved at all.

I had a thought about this and at the risk of sounding stupid since I may be all wet, but here goes.

If it is possible for this forums setup, could a standard template be created for posts in the eBay subsection? Sort of like requiring specific sections be filled out or the post will not take or get posted.

Perhaps it is not possible and the way this forum is designed is why (as in no HTML), but I thought I'd throw in my half-pence.

Cordially,
RudeRedDog

I like this - may times I have resorted to Ebay after having it here on FSFT for a while. This should make it easy to have visability here and on ebay.

Interesting but I don't really see the advantage of looking for listings here versus searching on eBay itself.
The difference is that if Kyle signed up for the eBay Partner Network affiliation he will make money off of each item that sells if buyer comes from one of the links on here.

Kyle I wouldn't sell the underwear. You may need them the next time you go to the doctor and they ask for a urine and stool sample. :D

Can i get a pic of you sniffing those used underwear as proof of real sale?

I agree on keeping a separate ebay forum and also think this is a good idea for those who do not have heatware but are great ebay sellers. As for people trying to scam others and such, keep in mind that paypal and ebay or on the side of the customer and will come down hard on sellers.

The difference is that if Kyle signed up for the eBay Partner Network affiliation he will make money off of each item that sells if buyer comes from one of the links on here.

Double post but who cares :p

If he does make money off of it who cares. Have you ever tried going through a list of listings and trying to figure out who can i trust? At least now, there will be some type of name attached to the item selling at hand.

Listing example:

HARD DRIVE 1tb

H user - 5.99
Random User - 4.99

Do i go with the person i have seen and interacted with on the forums (still a stranger by face) or do I go with the seller who i know nothing about to try and save a dollar?

I don't get it. why not just post it in FS/FT and save the ridiculous eBay fees rather than posting eBay listings here?

Does this site allow auctions though? I know most sites frown upon that and want firm prices listed. I know eBay has buy it now, but the point of using eBay (at least to me) is that you could potentially get much more than something is worth to you (i.e. I got $90 for a set of 4 avengers 3d glasses from a premier, unopened... $90 ?!? hell wish I grabbed more!).

Also eBay regardless of ridiculous fees, does open you to a larger market, if someone wants to pay those eBay fees to open up to a larger market so be it. How many times has someone bitched and moaned about buying something from NewEgg because they have to pay sales taxes? Well ebay fees are basically a tax, and there are plenty of people who will buy from NewEgg regardless of the tax

Good idea.. I like it.

I also really like the idea of limiting the amount of active posts so this does not become like ebay searches where I type in a string like: "ford 390 intake" and get 5,000 hits for HID headlamps. :p

Does this site allow auctions though? I know most sites frown upon that and want firm prices listed.

You're correct, the FS/FT forum does not allow auction posts, so the ebay forum does provide an avenue for people who want to sell things that way.

Kyle, I periodically sell used Android devices that I've grown out of or replaced. The site I currently use is Swappa.com.

It's not an auction site like eBay. Would linking to something like swappa be suitable for this forum, the FS/FT forum, or just not at all?

For those wondering why sell on ebay instead of here, Ive had stuff in my FS threads for months without nibbles, even at very low prices. For ebay, find the currently listed similar items with the lowest BIN, subtract $5-10 and expect to sell it for that. Then subtract 13% and estimated shipping costs, and the end total is usually more then you end up with on the forum. I just like giving the forums first dibs on my stuff since its easier, and to help others out with better then ebay prices.

I like this - may times I have resorted to Ebay after having it here on FSFT for a while. This should make it easy to have visability here and on ebay.

yeah, same here unfortunately. i've had new, unopened items that i had tried to sell for less than retail. trying to sell at a loss actually, due to higher shipping costs on my end (compared to big stores). all so i could avoid ebay fees. yet ultimately there were no real interested buyers on forums. so i had to turn to ebay, jack up the price to cover the shitty fees etc, and basically sold it for higher than retail costs. it was a lot more time and effort and annoyance since i hate ebay with a passion, but at least i got my item sold in the end.

Cool.

I like this.

If I may suggest, how about adding a Tips/Tricks/Trolls/ripoff discussion thread to this one, like we have in the FS/FT thread as well?

Actually we have been an eBay partner for years. I have had a few people ask me about eBay in the past and we tried putting it in FSFT for a while but that did not work out. So I have been dragging my feet in getting this done.

But YES, we do make a commission from eBay if you click on a link here and then purchase the item. Same with Newegg and Amazon. eBay, Newegg, and Amazon are the ONLY ones that automatically give a commission through a link that a readers places. We do have other commission partners.

You can see all our commission shared companies in this thread.

I don't get it. why not just post it in FS/FT and save the ridiculous eBay fees rather than posting eBay listings here?

Well for one reason it is really rare that you actually get any action here at hard, that is unless you are selling something for a very good price. Of course the other arguement is, if you are looking for something on ebay, why would you come here rather than just searching ebay?

cool idea, my two pesos;

Like the poster above, I mainly vist [H] for the FS/T forums but typically only buy if its a good deal... ebay rarely has anything I want. This forum would be great for two reasons; Members who's items didn't sell in the FS/T Forum and for members who stumbled across good auctions and wanted to inform others.

This would actually be cool also if you'd be allowed to post CL links - although I understand you wont be making money off of it. Kinda like a fleamarket "Hot Deals" section

i think this great for people like me who have no heat but i have rep on ebay. plus if you get a sore deal ebay got your back :)

FYI, "ex: Kyle's used underwear - Ends 6/21/2012 @ 5:50PM EST - $5.00"

Ends today! :eek:

Attn: Forum Owners

I assume you can post as many times as it takes an item to sell? Once an item ends on eBay, I assume that no longer counts against your 3 different allowed threads for the guidelines? Just wondering because items end typically after 5-7 days and if they don't sell I really would like to re-list until they do.

Thanks for letting me/us know.

Back