Need help with diagnosis of 1070.

Zyklon808

Gawd
Hey guys,

did not know if there was a tech support thread or anything out there, so I decided to post here. Used to be quite the IT guy but had an accident that left me a little starved of oxygen. Sorta hard to diagnose, so I thought I would go to my ol favorite Hard peeps.

The system:
Intel i3 8350K (non oc)
Asus 370 itx board
Silverstone 500 watt sfx-l PSU
Evga 1070gtx
Lian Li PC-05SX Case

So here it is, the usual suspects:

Evga 1070gtx
Silverstone SFX-l 500 watt psu
Lian li case with PCI-e riser/cable

The problem:
Whenever I go furmark or anything that uses 3D, the video card loses signal and the fans go nuts. System hangs or reboots. Happened pretty much over the space of a few days. Now boots up to Generic MS display when I use the gfx card.

Things I tried:
Tried dual PSU, power card with another 750 watt PSU. Boots fine, 3D still messed up.
I've no other systems to try card in. Re-seated all risers and cables. Triied the original pci-e power cables.
System works fine without card, games on the Intel 630 on chip (barely).

PSU has 10 days left on warranty. Evga card is about 2 years old from bestbuy, I might have the receipt.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

have you tried without the riser?.. it's the weakest link if its not a high quality powered one. that kind of behavior with GPUs tend to happen when something it's shorted or unproperly grounded.

have you tried without the riser?.. it's the weakest link if its not a high quality powered one. that kind of behavior with GPUs tend to happen when something it's shorted or unproperly grounded.
I've yet to try without riser. I have to build a scrap machine with newer psu to test the card by itself.

Probably the riser, also could be overheating, or driver issue. Or just a faulty card of course. I could be wrong but 500 watts sounds awfully low for that system.

update:

Tried video card on other PC. Worked fine. Now to test if it's the psu or the riser cable. I do not have a spare cable though. Here's to hoping Lian Li sends me one cheap/warranty.

Crap part is that taking apart the system would be tough without help, lots and lots of pieces!

Probably the riser, also could be overheating, or driver issue. Or just a faulty card of course. I could be wrong but 500 watts sounds awfully low for that system.

That's plenty for a quadcore + 1070. It would only struggle if you went crazy on the CPU overclock and an overclocked 250w+ card like a 1080Ti/Titan/Vega.

That's plenty for a quadcore + 1070. It would only struggle if you went crazy on the CPU overclock and an overclocked 250w+ card like a 1080Ti/Titan/Vega.
THIS

I've got a 500w CPU powering a 1070Ti, Core i5 3330, 2 HDDs and 1 SSD.
Never had a problem.

Update:

So I decided to use my new atx Corsair HX750 Pro and use that to power mobo and card while the original psu did my one sata drive and my H100i v2. System did -not- like that one bit. Just rebooted over and over. I've done it with many systems in the past, using a smaller psu for cooling and drives etc, but this is the first time I seen behavior like that. Trying to avoid a complete tear down and test bench as I really do not remember how I put it together!

Anyone know a Lian Li rep? I left an onsite email and a direct email and nothing so far.

Also if and when you do sort it out, avoid using Furmark. Totally unnecessary stress program that by far exceeds anything the GPU will ever be used for. It can damage GPUs and both Nvidia and AMD advise against it.

Also if and when you do sort it out, avoid using Furmark. Totally unnecessary stress program that by far exceeds anything the GPU will ever be used for. It can damage GPUs and both Nvidia and AMD advise against it.
Furmark does not "work" on NV cards any more. The driver throttles those to 800MHz as soon as it sees the executable.

It works good enough to see if there is PCI-E or Power issues in a jiffy. Weird, Furmark shows the full speed. Does the driver do it after?

Open up GPU-Z on another monitor if you can and watch the pci-e link speed while running something to stress the card.

I agree the riser can be the weakest link, if it is of bad quality, but I have recently watched Linus be a cuck and use something close to 3 meters of risers with no issue.

Back