NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Hi all, finally put my m1 together once I got the sx600g, migrated everything from my prodigy case. No problems, just a tight squeeze. Very happy with this case thanks guys.

I believe that the first page says the boat with the container containing all of the cases arrives tomorrow. I'm pretty sure they will be busy getting the cases moved. From there they will need to label and ship all of them. I don't expect anything to ship tomorrow and never did.

I imagine there won't be much posting on here about it because he will be busy trying to send out the cases. Be patient, they will be here soon enough.
The shipping update email at the beginning of August said to expect the US Economy cases before Friday September 26th. So they should ship out by Monday latest (ground shipping coast to coast usually takes 3-5 days).

Honestly at this point I'm not worried about a few days either way, seeing as we've been waiting for 4 months already. I'm just a giddy little schoolgirl.

Last edited:
I'll probably be receiving my SX600-G monday. One of the first to get one in Europe, I think? Got one from the first wave of PSUs that Alternate received.

Will I need an mSATA adapter for my DVD drive or does the PSU come with one?

I'll probably be receiving my SX600-G monday. One of the first to get one in Europe, I think? Got one from the first wave of PSUs that Alternate received.

mSATA? What DVD drive is it?
The PSU will come with cables for SATA power, never heard of mSATA power, mSATA is generally an SSD socket on the motherboard.

mSATA? What DVD drive is it?
The PSU will come with cables for SATA power, never heard of mSATA power, mSATA is generally an SSD socket on the motherboard.

Avro: What he means is the slim-sata power adapter needed to power slim optical drives.
They also are known as "mini-SATA" but now actual "mSATA" drives are here, it's a ton of confusion.

There are two types:
Plug adapter (turns slim-sata power + SATA data to full-size SATA + SATA cable):
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Slimline-Adapter-Power-SLSATAADAP/dp/B002O1W6ZK
Combo adapter (separate wires for molex + SATA cable built in): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186155

Cons of combo adapter: usually the SATA cables are like 12-36in long! Not the best choice for cable management. They also require a molex plug, so you might find yourself having to splice on a molex connector to your SATA power cable, or you have to include another one of the modular cables. Not the most elegant solution

Cons of the plug adapter:SATA data cable doesn't latch in, adds extra length to where the optical drive extends, can be a bit of an issue.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
My apologies, I did indeed mean slim-line SATA, got the two confused.

Plug adapter clearly looks like the best option since I won't need a molex plug.

Hmm. Looking to get a Blu Ray drive myself. Not too bothered about being able to write Blu Rays, all I ever use my drive for is to rip Blu Rays to my server.

Could anyone recommend either a:

Sony BC-5500H-01

Sony BC-5600S

Seem to be the cheapest I've managed to find.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Now that GTX 980 specs are out, can anyone tell me if the reference card will fit/won't fit in the M1? I assume it is the same size as a 780ti but can't check right now...

Jelly!

Take a look at the Silverstone CP10. Sleeved power+data for slimline Sata.

Update from w360: the V2 M1s have arrived in the US and he's going to start shipping them tomorrow or Monday. There's a fair bit of work with printing labels and getting everything sorted, as you might imagine.

Pics from the frontline:

PKN5yYU.jpg

Olsqx6H.jpg

With another possible run I guess it's not possible for us v1 users to buy a new panel + front kit? :p
Would love to switch colours from time to time, regret buying not both a black and silver case but would have if I could back then.

With another possible run I guess it's not possible for us v1 users to buy a new panel + front kit? :p
Would love to switch colours from time to time, regret buying not both a black and silver case but would have if I could back then.
V2 panels are backward compatible with the V1 chassis, and we had panel kits up for sale on the website until a couple weeks ago. If/when we do another run we'll no doubt order more panel kits as well.

...there's a fair bit of work with printing labels and getting everything sorted, as you might imagine.

Pics from the frontline:

PKN5yYU.jpg

Olsqx6H.jpg

Checking every unit to for possible panels problems is taking most of the time.

Anyways, Monday will be the big day for shipping.

Tracking numbers are being updated as we speak.

Just seeing that garage full of ncases makes me realize how much work and logistics this project takes. Very grateful for all there hard work!

Our 'silver' might be too dark for the silver case. We would suggest getting either 'brushed aluminium' or black. Please note that the top and side filters can also be installed on the inside of your case.

Now line up a bunch of naked cases as you check for panels problems and take pictures under disco lighting :D

(Just kidding - you're doing amazing work.)

Our 'silver' might be too dark for the silver case. We would suggest getting either 'brushed aluminium' or black. Please note that the top and side filters can also be installed on the inside of your case.

Thanks! I'll probably end up getting black :)

YES please double check! Especially the one is coming to Argentina :p

I will be buying new gpu when i finally get my M1 ve2 - would anyone have info if putting in non-reference 970/980 might be bad idea?

I was planning on getting probably reference cooled 970, but the 970 Strix noise and temps look too sweet: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_970_STRIX_OC/

..ofcourse if it turns the case into sauna, well, got to go the refence way then :/

I was looking at the 970 Strix too, but it might be a tad bit too wide for the case...

The new MSI 970 Gaming uses a new Twin Frozr V cooler that has its fans turn off at temps below 50C. The Strix has that threshold at below 65C which seems like a much better feature.. but the MSI card seems to less wide and may fit our NCases better. Will need to do some more research.

It might go unnoticed but wahaha360: MASSIVE respect for the amount of elbow grease going into the logistics of this. I know those boxes didn't carry themselves in and checking them seems even more work !

Rage-well-done.png

You get 500.000 internets !!

Now that GTX 980 specs are out, can anyone tell me if the reference card will fit/won't fit in the M1? I assume it is the same size as a 780ti but can't check right now...

Yes, considering it is a reference card. Other 3rd-party designs will depend on how far they stick out.

I will be buying new gpu when i finally get my M1 ve2 - would anyone have info if putting in non-reference 970/980 might be bad idea?

I was planning on getting probably reference cooled 970, but the 970 Strix noise and temps look too sweet: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_970_STRIX_OC/

..ofcourse if it turns the case into sauna, well, got to go the refence way then :/

card1.jpg

That won't fit :) It's way too high/wide. I'd suggest going with a reference card anyway, since their cooling is generally better for the Ncase (dumping hot air outside the case).

970 Strix is too tall.

bummer.

Suppose i have to dive into details with more time later.

..but the size aside - i any idea if the heat would be too much? I have no idea how succesfully people have been temps-wise with air-cooled non-reference 780/780 Ti for example. If those work, i suppose either 970 or 980 should be just fine with any cooler as long as they fit in?

That won't fit :) It's way too high/wide. I'd suggest going with a reference card anyway, since their cooling is generally better for the Ncase (dumping hot air outside the case).

yeah i somehow overlooked the size aspect of things :/

Anyways, i know the reference blower makes more sense in pushing the air actually outside the case...but, i was/am kinda hoping that i could make the comp few decibels quieter and had fingers crossed the maxwell architecture wouldnt be generating too much heat to begin with :)

I guess it would be viable with an open-air cooler as other people also had success. But I'm still not a fan of a GPU dumping heat inside the case, which isn't exhausted unless you make the fans on the side panel into an exhaust.

All was going according to my plans until Swedish retailer CDON screwed me over and canceled the preorder i had on the SX600-G. Now they are all out of them and don't know when there will be new stock, no other Swedish retailers have them either so i guess i have to order from some other country.

It's the PSU and watercooling holding me back from building.

Can we have side filters, inside, at both sides of the case? So one before the rad and one behind the motherboard? Anyone knows?

Back