Monoprice Weekend Deals 8.24.18

One wonders if the website is named Monoprice, as in one price, why they seem to offer so many discount codes for multiple prices sometimes. :D

Disclaimer: I shop at Monoprice all too frequently so these do come in handy, thanks for the tip-off. ;) They really do produce some of the best cabling I've ever used, including some heavy gauge micro-USB cables I've had for years now that just seem like they'll last forever and are highly recommended.

I have been keeping an eye on their sales, because I want to get 1000ft of Cat 6, but even with most sales once I get the shipping estimate the price just gets blown way up. Is there any regularity to MP offering free shipping once or twice a year on network cable, or is their (admittedly already good pricing even with shipping) the best I can hope for?

I've browsed these guys for years, and never bought from them.

Their wires are super cheap. Anyone have experience with their USB cables? Are they decent quality?

Their wires are super cheap. Anyone have experience with their USB cables? Are they decent quality?

I've bought USB, Network, Lightning, etc, cables from them and can't say I have ever had an issue. For the most part, a digital cable that's $50 is going to work as well as one that is $5, it's moving 1s and 0s, as long as there isn't data loss for some reason they are identical. I've never had a network cable fail to run at gigabit, and never had a usb cable or phone cable fail to charge or transfer data.

I also have read that some of the realms they have expanded to, like monitors, are pretty good. For a while they had a large PC LCD that used the same panel that Apple was using in their early cinema displays but charging less than half the price. Some interesting stories about the company and what they do.

Most of my USB cables, hubs, HDMI cords, USB battery chargers, stereo cables, adapters, and those sorts of peripherals are monoprice. They work as intended and I have never had issues with any of them. They're my go to for these sort of peripheral purchases because they are cheap and their stuff just works.

I've bought USB, Network, Lightning, etc, cables from them and can't say I have ever had an issue. For the most part, a digital cable that's $50 is going to work as well as one that is $5, it's moving 1s and 0s
This is true, but, there is one thing you have to watch out for with cheap cables. If it's something that you just plug in and never touch it again, then a cheap cable is exactly the same as expensive cable, it's just moving ones and zeros. But, if you have a cable that gets handled a lot, every day plugging it in and unplugging it a lot, cheap cables can develop loose connections and "go bad". They're cheap for a reason -- they're not made as well.

This is true, but, there is one thing you have to watch out for with cheap cables. If it's something that you just plug in and never touch it again, then a cheap cable is exactly the same as expensive cable, it's just moving ones and zeros. But, if you have a cable that gets handled a lot, every day plugging it in and unplugging it a lot, cheap cables can develop loose connections and "go bad". They're cheap for a reason -- they're not made as well.

This is true, you should always buy any product with a thought towards intended purpose. A Ford Focus is far cheaper than an F-150, but you don't want to try and move 20 sheets of drywall with a Focus. That said, paying more doesn't mean better built, and paying less doesn't mean it's "cheap". Your odds of a quality product do improve with price point in many cases, but it's better to look towards a companies history and product reviews before you go either direction. There are pleeeeenty of examples of the more expensive product not being the superior one.

I have some of their cables in my "to go" travel bags that get seriously manhandled on planes, in TSA lines, and by my kids. I also have them in charging hubs around the house with frequent plugging and unplugging. Never an issue.

Dat' exclusion list yo!

Seriously, Monoprice has one of the worst exclusion lists.

Last edited:
Back