LG Ultragear 27" OLED 240hz 1440P 27GR95QE-B

OOS on LGs site can't say the same for OLED TVs which are almost the same price.

At 240Hz on OLED is there advantage in running BFI at 120Hz instead? Presumably if you can't hit 240 then you may as well. Can this do BFI@120 given the lack of support on the more recent lg tv's?

At 240Hz on OLED is there advantage in running BFI at 120Hz instead? Presumably if you can't hit 240 then you may as well. Can this do BFI@120 given the lack of support on the more recent lg tv's?
Yes and no.
It depends on the pulse length.

Blur Busters Law: Display motion blur is based on pixel visibility time.

1ms of pixel visibility time translates to 1 pixel of motion blur per 1000 pixels/sec.

TL;DR Best case motion clarity during GtG=0 and framerate=Hz:
1. Sample and hold motion blur is frametime.
2. Strobed motion blur is pulsetime.

So BFI would need to be flashed less than 1/240sec to have less motion blur than 240fps 240Hz unstrobed.

motion_blur_from_persistence_on_impulsed-displays.png

Sample and hold motion clarity is most efficient at GtG near 0, which is why 240fps 240Hz OLED has better motion clarity than 360fps 360Hz LCD.

No OLED monitor is capable of any BFI as far as I know, and the last TV that could do it at 120Hz was the LG C1 which is probably impossible to find brand new by now. Sucks because I feel like OLED was the perfect tech to pair with BFI.

No OLED monitor is capable of any BFI as far as I know, and the last TV that could do it at 120Hz was the LG C1 which is probably impossible to find brand new by now. Sucks because I feel like OLED was the perfect tech to pair with BFI.
I'm pressing hard for BFI eventually in OLED, but it won't be in this first generation of 240Hz OLEDs at this time.

That being said -- long term, strobeless blur reduction will be the way to go. BFI will be mainly useful only for framerate-limited content (retro content, video content), when all PC games implement this technology. An RTX 4090 can now do 4K 1000fps 1000Hz with that new reprojection software technology, ported from VR. Doing 1ms MPRT ergonomically strobelessly with the same motion clarity as strobing is now within the window of this decade's technology -- at least for PC gaming.

I think one of the major things making BFI on OLEDs like these less practical is there's a hit to brightness using it due to the black frames, the greater the number, the greater the brightness hit...and these can't really afford much of a brightness hit by their nature.

Wouldn't they just raise the brightness to compensate? What's the effect of duty cycle on burn-in and power use for an oled pixel?

I'm not sure if they could raise the brightness that far or not since brightness has always been a weakness of OLED and anytime you insert the black frames you'd be causing perceived dimming. Those are good questions re duty cycle/etc.

I wonder if its possible to remove the AG coating on this screen like we used to. I'm really struggling on if I want to get one or not, my FO48U is simply too big for me but the other monitors I have look so damn bad.

For example, I have a Dell 1440p 165hz IPS panel and even at 80% brightness its dim and hard to see and to be honest the AG coating on it is worse than straight up glossy because it smears the light from windows across the whole screen, I find myself squinting and leaning forward all the time when playing a game trying to see past the glare.

A few more observations that people might find interesting:

First, regarding Gamer 1 mode vs. the other modes.
- I actually didn't realize this, but the SDR Gamer 1 mode (I'm guessing maybe the other game modes too but I'm not positive) do NOT dim down with Automatic Brightness Limiting on a full white screen. sRGB, Calibration 1 & 2, etc. all DO exhibit ABL and dim down though, so if you want none of it, you need to use Gamer mode. I'm assuming this also extends to the HDR Gamer modes and probably explains why I haven't seen any dimming in HDR games.
- Gamer also enables DAS Mode, which isn't available in the other modes. That's supposed to reduce input lag but I can't say I notice much of a difference personally. If there is one, it's subtle.
- Gamer 1 mode is in a wide-rage P3-D65 mode, and that can't be changed to sRGB unfortunately within the monitor settings (if, say, you wanted to take advantage of DAS Mode or the lack of ABL). So SDR games are going to look extra saturated/vibrant using it (not necessarily desirable if you prefer accuracy and realistic colors). That said, there are utilities that can accomplish this by clamping it to sRGB in software (novideo_srgb is one, at least if you're running nVidia hardware), but it's unfortunate you can't customize it in the monitor controls.

I'm very pleased by the calibration I did to Calibration 1. I do wish LG would allow either:
1.) The import of a calibrated profile to the Gamer modes, so you can still have the lack of ABL and use things like DAS Mode; you should also be able to manually set color space
OR:
2.) The ability to set things in the Calibration modes like ABL to off (and DAS to on, though that's less important to me).
3.) I'd also like to see the SDR Calibration carry over to HDR modes. Sony does this on some of their TV's by carrying over the SDR calibration and adjusting HDR colors based on that, and it works well.

Fortunately, things in the HDR Gamer mode (I prefer Gamer 1 - Gamer 2 lifts blacks too much, even if it has a bit more pop) seem to reflect fairly accurate colors using the Windows 11 Auto HDR feature, even if extrapolated from sRGB. (I don't usually do this myself, but I tested it just to see how it looked).

All of that said, these are more just things I've found interesting - still very pleased with the monitor. Deciding now if I want to use clamped Gamer 1 mode or the Calibrated mode for SDR games and content, but leaning towards Calibrated (at least at this moment, though the lack of ABL altogether is super tempting =oP).

I have to think it'd be insane with all of the requests for glossy for nobody to do it...

The Dough information is pretty discouraging. Maybe they'll get it together, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Is it confirmed the Asus model that uses this same panel will be matte?

I'm pressing hard for BFI eventually in OLED, but it won't be in this first generation of 240Hz OLEDs at this time.

That being said -- long term, strobeless blur reduction will be the way to go. BFI will be mainly useful only for framerate-limited content (retro content, video content), when all PC games implement this technology. An RTX 4090 can now do 4K 1000fps 1000Hz with that new reprojection software technology, ported from VR. Doing 1ms MPRT ergonomically strobelessly with the same motion clarity as strobing is now within the window of this decade's technology -- at least for PC gaming.
A BFI-capable OLED monitor that goes down to 60hz single strobe is an instant buy for me. Especially if it allows for the pulse width tweaking ala Viewsonic XG2431.

The input lag looks better than I assumed from other comments. Maybe those were only for the Flex?

This review was pretty interesting!

The one area that doesn't match my own experience I'd say is use for work/productivity. This being my first OLED as a monitor (I had a TV years ago, but obviously that's a different use case), I'm pleasantly surprised by its performance when working with text and things, and it's something I do a lot. (I also view a fair amount of SDR images and it really shines in that).

There is text fringing, but in the vast majority of cases, I don't notice it unless I'm looking for it. There are exceptions to that (as an example, I have folders in my bookmarks bar in Chrome, and I can see a red edge pretty clearly on the left side of each), but even when I do notice it, it doesn't really bother me. Kind of funny because I'm super sensitive to other things like blooming, panel uniformity issues, or poor viewing angles at the edges of a bigger screen.

Honestly, I find this at least as easy, if not easier, on my eyes as my previous 27" IPS panel, and from brief use, I think it may even be easier on my eyes than the 32" IPS's I tried (some of that might be not being used to the bigger screen tho' - I don't know).

Your mileage may vary. If you're sensitive to text fringing, it may be an issue. But for me I'm actually kind of shocked how much it's not.

A BFI-capable OLED monitor that goes down to 60hz single strobe is an instant buy for me. Especially if it allows for the pulse width tweaking ala Viewsonic XG2431.
Yeah. I really hope they bring BFI back.

Also not crazy about the idea of generated frames...

So I currently own a 27 inch acer ips, G sync 165hz that I've been having for many years. I keep debating on whether to update to the next size and oled?? I really only ever do major upgrades not minor but wondering what's out there and the best options?? I'm running a 5800x with 3070ti

I might wait around for the 27" ASUS Swift version which uses the same OLED panel but the adjustments might be better but maybe not.

I might wait around for the 27" ASUS Swift version which uses the same OLED panel but the adjustments might be better but maybe not.
Why just 27? I'm on 27 acer g sync 165hz ips panel and looking to go up on size but stick with 1440p. What would be a noticeable huge upgrade for me? I'm running a 3070ti

These are no way MLA. LG is just straight up lying.
So what exactly is the benefits/advantages of MLA, isn't it supposed to enchant WRGB-OLED to be as good as/surpass QD-OLED ?

Last month folks on AVS were saying at worst MLA would make WRGB rival TCL/JOLED's RGB-OLED.

HDR image can disappear like that completely..

Windows HDR Calibration only makes sure there is no highlight clipping, no lowlight blackcrush. It compresses the image within the range of the display so highlight has outlines while lowlight has silhouette.
We can never go wrong with HDR when it comes to OLED. :)

Why just 27? I'm on 27 acer g sync 165hz ips panel and looking to go up on size but stick with 1440p. What would be a noticeable huge upgrade for me? I'm running a 3070ti

I don't know if I'll like the bigger sizes I would go all out and buy that perfect Dell Alienware 34" but I like tight FOV monitors for faster reaction times.

We can never go wrong with HDR when it comes to OLED.
It's just a setting to match the level of low brightness. It makes sure black level isn't lifted. It doesn't do anything about high brightness though. FALD make that image disappear as well.

Last edited:
I don't know if I'll like the bigger sizes I would go all out and buy that perfect Dell Alienware 34" but I like tight FOV monitors for faster reaction times.
Good point I'm in the same boat.. Although I go for ips panels for better colors.

I'll be super curious what the ASUS using this panel will have to offer too.
So what exactly is the benefits/advantages of MLA, isn't it supposed to enchant WRGB-OLED to be as good as/surpass QD-OLED ?

Last month folks on AVS were saying at worst MLA would make WRGB rival TCL/JOLED's RGB-OLED.

My understanding is that MLA allows higher brightness and better viewing angles, hopefully with less risk of burn-in as well.
I know brightness is one of the critiques of this monitor, but I gotta say I think bright highlights in HDR look very good (even if tone-mapping is required for high APL scenes), and viewing angles on this thing are insane. Viewing angles are almost like a paper magazine when you look from the side.

This goes over a lot of the technicals.

In my case, upgrading from an old 27" Dell IPS, I tried two 32" panels (an Asus ROG edge-lit, one Asus ProArt FALD) and just wasn't completely happy with them (granted those were 4K, not 1440p). In the ROG case, the panel was fine but I was disappointed by edge-lit, and for the ProArt, blooming was worse than expected and it had a lot of quality control issues that seem to be pretty common for that specific model. It was down to either trying the Asus QX or Samsung G8 (though I wasn't crazy about curved) or going back down to 27", and I think I made the right choice going back to that size but in OLED.

I think the Asus ROG Swift and Strix series have 1440p models, but I haven't had any experience with either of those lines, so I don't know how good they are. I'm less familiar with other manufacturers. Good luck!

Last edited:
Glad you're overall liking the monitor, LittleBuddy!

Curious about your poor precalibration results - are you referring to the Gamer presets or sRGB being inaccurate? I have to say after calibration (also with the i1 Display Pro I believe), the sRGB setting (which remains out of the box) seems pretty close to what I got calibrated. I wonder how much variance there is between panels.

It'll be insane if they ever make a 32" 4K model similar to this, but I know 32" OLEDs aren't much of a thing yet.

sRGB is fairly accurate at high brightness, loses it's accuracy around 140 Nits and below. Gamer 1 was the one that shocked me with how bad it was because of how blue it is at default. I did manually calibrate it to make it more accurate so I have a color accurate native profile.

Incase you were curious, I did the following to correct Gamer 1 (at 150 Nits):
Energy Savings: Off
Brightness 70
Red 50
Green 49
Blue 42
Contrast 70
Gamma Mode 1

I'll probably manually calibrate Gamer 2 at 180 or 190 Nits this weekend.

Nice - thanks for sharing the settings. Yeah - Gamer 1 in SDR was fairly unusable out of the box for me since it's based on P3-D65 and I needed sRGB for SDR (so at first I used sRGB mode almost immediately and later after calibrating calibrated Calibration 1 to sRGB). I did calibrated Calibration 2 to P3-D65 in case I ever need it tho'.

I have no way to test this, but I felt in HDR, Gamer 1 feels more accurate than the SDR version, but that's pure opinion comparing Auto HDR of things like the desktop or Auto HDR supported games (though honestly for SDR games I tend to turn that off and just go HDR with native stuff; I just wanted to use Auto HDR to play around with).

Even if half of that could be achieved in next few years, or even quarter of it on consoles it would be the best thing ever. Do you think the industry as a whole will go that way (pc and consoles to an extent)? I'm talking about frame generation in general, not necessarily in context of blur.

I know it is a bit off topic, sorry...

I just left gamer at default colorspace on Gamer, it's probably best to use the Calibration 1 and Calibration 2 for specific colorspaces. Even though it has processing latency, personally I can't tell the difference between DAS on or off.

I was able to get Gamer very accurate in sRGB with DisplayCal using an ICC profile but decided against it. Since I rather not have to manage the profiles.

If I were to use ICC profiles for Gamer I would probably do them in P3 at 2.2 gamma. I do wish there were actual gamma settings in the OSD other than "modes" with no description.

Great info. Definitely agree on the Gamma modes. I know Gamer mode also has the advantage of apparently not triggering ABL at a full-field screen, and it's unfortunate you can't specify other modes to do that (not that it's bad most of the time, but I'd still turn it off if I could).

I'm thinking people who say this monitor is too dim just don't know how to adjust the settings.
Does Nvidia control panel brightness make a difference?

I'm by no means an expert in calibration, I do graphic design so typically use sRGB/adobeRGB/CMYK. Maybe someone with more knowledge will post a definitive answer on which is best for color accuracy in games, I would assume targeting sRGB since most games are developed with it first then HDR dci-P3 is an afterthought. I'm just starting to like the P3 colorspace lately.

Is there a list of which modes use ABL?

Color accuracy is NOT accurate in Gamer 1 (SDR) for games since it's using the wrong color space - I can confirm that. Oranges were almost red and blues were way too blue, etc. On a certain level, it was appearing as I think the P3 colorspace looks really nice/poppy, but it is not accurate, which is important to me. For accuracy in SDR, you can calibrate yourself as you did (and I did eventually), or sRGB is quite good. As I mentioned before, you could also use a program to "clamp" Gamer mode to sRGB, and that would be an option too.

Like you, I didn't see a big difference between DAS on and off. Actually, I didn't notice a difference at all, but I might not be sensitive enough as I mostly play single player games so any reasonable input lag is fine for me.

I think all modes EXCEPT the Gamer modes (Gamer 1 I know; I'm assuming Gamer 2 as well) have ABL; where I read that (and I did try it after) specifically said Gamer 1. I tested this with a full-field white page and sure enough it didn't dim in Gamer but does (slightly) on sRGB and Calibration 1. I haven't yet tested to see if this extends to the HDR Gamer mode versions (but there are a lot fewer HDR modes - no sRGB for obvious reason, and no Calibration modes either).

I'm thinking people who say this monitor is too dim just don't know how to adjust the settings.
Does Nvidia control panel brightness make a difference?

If you're in a light controlled room, I really don't feel like brightness is a problem personally. SDR Calibration to 160 nits in a 10% window was no problem. Yes, there's some ABL at full-field, but it's really not bad IMO.

I think the nVidia settings just affect video playback, not general usage brightness.

I did the deed and bought through Best Buy. I had my eye on Oled technology like 15 years ago ever since it was introduced like on Zune MP3 players.
I own a Samsung AMOLED S9 Phone which I no longer use but the screen on that is pretty amazing compred to LCD screens I used. I probably owned at least 18 different LCD screens ove the years none of them were good untill I got a Asus VA panel for gaming I use that screen today but not for general use cause it's too bright. Use a 21.5" Asus TN 60hz for general use and text and the monitor is from 2011 and have two backups.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried HDMI 2.1 cable instead of DP? Watched a review about it so just wanted to get some more opinions on it.

Back