is my new card bad?ASUS R9 290

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloodhawke83

I Strike Fear into the Hearts of the Masses
new card, 2 days old. new driver install 14.12(never had previous version installed) and bios is 015.041.000.002.000000.default settings, no OC. turned on my computer from a cold boot and it started artifacting and flickering. rebooted the computer and its fine..... :confused:

last night i gave StarCitizen a run, 1080p max settings. after i exited the game it artifacted and flickered.

wow runs fine with long hours at 4k ultra settings.

video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-FACE7L2DM

HIk25XZ.jpg

b2pX7rK.jpg

Last edited:
Have you reseated it in the PCIe slot and reseated the GPU power cables?

reseat is done. running FurMark at max settings to see if is broken. good so far.

it's doing it again, same thing. flickering and flashing the screen from a cold boot.

I know this sounds stupid, but have you reseated both ends of the cable to the monitor?

sigh

sounds like RMA time

bought it at Fry's for this very reason. I have uninstalled the drivers and AMD SW. did the driver clean tool. then, going to try and find an older driver to see if it's the fix. even then, problem doesn't happen until I boot a dead cold pc from being off all night.

and its not like i live in a cold climate too, its only 57 out and 68 inside. i've only been a wake for a hour today. ;)

Last edited:
I downloaded the 14.9 drivers, seems fine now. cold boot, 8 hours off.

Yeah the omega drivers should not have been released. Just had to do a sys restore bc of them.

I got the 2nd card.

Could you try updating the bios on the card?

I did that on the ASUS tool the card came with.

you sure it is not that buggy windows update KB3004394

MS screwed AMD on that deal, not their fault

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1844322

not installed

+1

Even though you just got it in the mail, check if it needs the latest vBIOS posted on the ASUS website: http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/R9290DC2OC4GD5/HelpDesk_Download/

i'll check there to see if it different.

same bios on card, previous one had an older bios which i did update. 14.12 driver installed.

ok bad news. while i was on warcraft, i alt tab to look something up and the screen started to artifact. switch back to the game and it went away. then.............BSOD.

gonna switch back to the older driver.

well well well, there's a new bios update dated today. i installed 14.8 drivers, maybe its not me and the card. asus with bad bios?

and i'm trying to test each slow and power cables. i got it on the 2nd slot, only had 1 extra e-pci power connector on the PSU.

if all fails, multimeter each line?

i put the ati 5870 back in, when i get paid i'll purchase a new PSU to make sure its not that. I may even trade up to get a different card....

PSU Corsair TX750M

Last edited:
are those asus cards factory overclocked? try normal 290 clocks just to see if it makes any difference?
also i wonder if asus tweak has all the same feature as afterburner as in boosting power limit or core voltage? or as last resort disable power play.........might be worth just trying afterburner before rmaing

well it appears to let you card use one of 2 bios...one with very aggressive fan profile...the other does not.....i have to look into it more cause i doubt newegg is saying all it is...in the past its always been a safety fallback just in case you flashed wrong bios....flip a switch and just flash it back...unlike me...id have to put another card in or try blind flashing cause as much as i love xfx support they do cut cost on products...anyways that does open up possibilities of other vender bios assuming everyone is using same reference design for you that is.

oh and btw there a brand new afterburner released today.......i would give it a try http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/msi-afterburner-beta-download.html

Last edited:
well it appears to let you card use one of 2 bios...one with very aggressive fan profile...the other does not.....i have to look into it more cause i doubt newegg is saying all it is...in the past its always been a safety fallback just in case you flashed wrong bios....flip a switch and just flash it back...unlike me...id have to put another card in or try blind flashing cause as much as i love xfx support they do cut cost on products...anyways that does open up possibilities of other vender bios assuming everyone is using same reference design

i checked my card, found it! switch is so small, i passed it 5 times. switch was on performance.

the asus tool allows to change the clock and volts, what would be a good reference to start with?

i checked my card, found it! switch is so small, i passed it 5 times. switch was on performance.

the asus tool allows to change the clock and volts, what would be a good reference to start with?

I know you really want to keep with the asus software being your asus card but trust me this one time.....uninstall all of it and give afterburner a try today....it has several features that asus tweak lacks that could solve this thread. but if you thinking its just a voltage thing try going up about 1/3 the scale cause im really just guessing...my card has no voltage control...only power limit. let me know how it goes,,,if we cant get you fixed with extra voltage well try some of the options in AB has as shown here
Capture_zpsa1819ffb.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Basicly your other options would be "increasing power limit", "disabling ulps", "force constant voltage", even "disabling power play support" if the extra voltage doesn't fix it then one of these options will:)

Last edited:
still doing it. i switched it to the silent mode. i'll see if it holds up.

update: nope.

another update: clean install of driver 13.251.0.0, lets wait and get pissed off later! NOPE!!!

Last edited:

another update: clean install of driver 13.251.0.0, lets wait and get pissed off later! NOPE!!!

Does that "Nope" mean everything is OK? If not, I would suggest downclocking the memory to the reference 1200Mhz for a few days and see if that fixes the issue. The 290(x) cards don't need any extra memory bandwidth..Clocking mine to 1.375Ghz memory gave me 2 FPS on average across 3~4 games vs the stock memory speed..Core speed is king..I have mine @ 1.275Ghz and it is a very nice boost (note I am under full WC loop)..

i would think you should stick to the amd omega driver and try out ccitys suggestion....those 13 series drivers are very old for 290's....if downclocking the memory doesn't work i would try some of the options in newest AB

Does that "Nope" mean everything is OK? If not, I would suggest downclocking the memory to the reference 1200Mhz for a few days and see if that fixes the issue. The 290(x) cards don't need any extra memory bandwidth..Clocking mine to 1.375Ghz memory gave me 2 FPS on average across 3~4 games vs the stock memory speed..Core speed is king..I have mine @ 1.275Ghz and it is a very nice boost (note I am under full WC loop)..

you and me had same ideas lol http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041309606&postcount=29

i tried down clocking. my friend dropped off this testing computer for me, once i buy a PSU tester and a new PSU i will give it a try. if not, i'm dumping team red and going green.

Uninstall ANY gpu/cpu monitoring software, use Revo Uninstaller to do so. If that doesn't help make clean windows OS installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back