Is 2012 Slated to be the Year of the Ultrabook?

^ SAys $799 for me, but still, point taken. I'd recommend it for the average student/commuter any day. Though personally, I would like a higher res screen, for the average joe in that price range it's very competitive.

Better price than the MBA, but is still lacking heavily in the graphics department.
Even the system in my sig would beat this in terms of gaming performance due to the better IGP, albeit with a weaker CPU though.

Honestly though, it is a trade off, performance vs portability.

I don't know about that.. for the tasks they are used for, an atom and a HD3k are about the same, if not tipped slightly to th eintel.

Better price than the MBA, but is still lacking heavily in the graphics department.
Even the system in my sig would beat this in terms of gaming performance due to the better IGP, albeit with a weaker CPU though.

Honestly though, it is a trade off, performance vs portability.

For us, you're right. For 99% of the public, they don't care about gaming.

The HD 3000 isn't a complete waste when it comes to gaming, ULV SBs can do a decent job even on new games at lower settings.

I had a chance to play around with a UX31 for a few minutes today. It's a beautiful laptop. The weight and form factor is really impressive; more so than a Macbook Air for sure.

Of course they do. But here in law school, there are at least 5-6 m11x's in my graduating class alone. Other than Macs (since there are only ~6 models in the range for school), that's probably on par with the share of any other particular model.

Of course they do. But here in law school, there are at least 5-6 m11x's in my graduating class alone. Other than Macs (since there are only ~6 models in the range for school), that's probably on par with the share of any other particular model.

I have never seen a government or corporate user with a M11x. Inspiron, Vostro, Latitude...THAT is what drives the bottom line :rolleyes:.

I have never seen a government or corporate user with a M11x. Inspiron, Vostro, Latitude...THAT is what drives the bottom line :rolleyes:.

surprisingly at $employer about half (~1000) of our laptops are 17" w/ ten keys. it seems that when you get older your eyes get worse. who knew?

now if we are to believe Gas Leak, they are all going to switch to ultrabooks.

I think more people care about ultrabooks than the M11x even if both numbers are small.

Not so sure. Sure, people love the MBA, thin and light and pricey is not a problem for Apple but unfortunately PC OEMs are very much in a race to the bottom these days unfortunately. The problem with ultrabooks outside of the MBA is the cost, the vast bulk of people don't care about much in PC laptops that upwards of $500.

Thin and light is great but few people want to pay much of a price premium if any for it in the PC world.

I hate the term "ultrabook". It makes it seem like it's more powerful, like some desktop replacement. When it's really just a thinner mid range laptop with crappy graphics. :( Should be called...lightbook or something.

I hate the term "ultrabook". It makes it seem like it's more powerful, like some desktop replacement. When it's really just a thinner mid range laptop with crappy graphics. :( Should be called...lightbook or something.

I see your point, of course it's a contraction of ultraportable which would be more technically correct but utraportablebook isn't very catchy.

However, I think too many here are dismissing just how capable these devices can be. My Samsung Series 7 Slate which has the same SB ULV CPU/GPU as the base model MBA 11 does a lot of things VERY well. It can play a good number of new games at lower settings, Blu Rays, runs Office, Photoshop, etc. in edition to cold booting in 12 seconds. Today's SB ULV ultrabooks easily have enough computing power for the overwhelming majority of laptop users and Ivy Bridge will only further improve the performance, particularly in the GPU department.

So while the term ultrabook does sound like a desktop replacement device and they technically aren't in reality ultrabooks are more than capable of being desktop replacements for all but the most power needy users.

Woohoo! Boss asked me to order 6 new HP Folio 13 ultrabooks today. Ivy Bridge Core i5, 4GB DDR3, 128gb SSD goodness in a notebook thinner than a dime and only 3 pounds. Boss says I could have one of them when it arrives. Merry Christmas indeed!

To further embarrass you, I'll point out that the Macbook air is very nearly a full 1/3rd of Apple's total mac sales.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=macbook+air+sales

Consumers are embracing ultrabooks in droves. As soon as the price gap narrows between standard notebooks and ultrabooks, the sales of ultrabooks will be overwhelming. The pricing is already down to $699 for a 13in Toshiba ultrabook that is reviewed spectacularly.

To further embarrass you, I'll point out that the Macbook air is very nearly a full 1/3rd of Apple's total mac sales.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=macbook+air+sales

Consumers are embracing ultrabooks in droves. As soon as the price gap narrows between standard notebooks and ultrabooks, the sales of ultrabooks will be overwhelming. The pricing is already down to $699 for a 13in Toshiba ultrabook that is reviewed spectacularly.

That's down from 40% in 2010.

Derrrppp

That's down from 40% in 2010.

Derrrppp

In 2010, they sold 1.1 million Air's. In 2011, they are hitting 1.6 million per quarter.

The decrease in percentage of Air's sold is a direct testament that your previous statement is laughably incorrect - people DO give a shit about Macs, are and buying them in significantly higher numbers than any time in recent history. The decrease in percentage is due to Mac's overall increase in sales. Either way, your statement was wrong and mine is right. Less than 1% of the population gives a shit about the M11x, while nearly 1% of the population owns an ultrabook/

Derp is right.

In 2010, they sold 1.1 million Air's. In 2011, they are hitting 1.6 million per quarter.

The decrease in percentage of Air's sold is a direct testament that your previous statement is laughably incorrect - people DO give a shit about Macs, are and buying them in significantly higher numbers than any time in recent history. The decrease in percentage is due to Mac's overall increase in sales. Either way, your statement was wrong and mine is right. Less than 1% of the population gives a shit about the M11x, while nearly 1% of the population owns an ultrabook/

Derp is right.

At least you acknowledge your derping.

Airs, not Air's.

Now you're claiming the public owns 68.4M ultrabooks, so your statement does not pass even a cursory review. Do not confuse your verbosity with accuracy. You are simply wrong, and not even by a small margin.

At least you acknowledge your derping.

Airs, not Air's.

Now you're claiming the public owns 68.4M ultrabooks, so your statement does not pass even a cursory review. Do not confuse your verbosity with accuracy. You are simply wrong, and not even by a small margin.

First of all, I wasn't referring to the world population. Anyone with intelligence would assume that, since people without running water and food won't care about any laptop - including your M11x.

But if you want to go world population, chew on this:

2012 Ultrabook PC shipments alone are 29 million. Add in the Macbook Air at 6.4 million and you're looking at 35.4 million ultra book shipments - just in 2012. That's .5% of the world population in a single year. They are projecting 136 million units by 2015.

I mean, look - you can argue all day long that the sky is polka-dotted. You can argue all day long that the M11x is better for the general public than an ultrabook.

At the end of the day you're still wrong, and no amount of angst is going to change that. I'll bump this thread next year with a massive "told you so." Just like I did last week when people said ultrabooks would never come down in price.

First of all, I wasn't referring to the world population. Anyone with intelligence would assume that, since people without running water and food won't care about any laptop - including your M11x.

But if you want to go world population, chew on this:

2012 Ultrabook PC shipments alone are 29 million. Add in the Macbook Air at 6.4 million and you're looking at 35.4 million ultra book shipments - just in 2012. That's .5% of the world population in a single year. They are projecting 136 million units by 2015.

Now you're saying the MBA isn't an ultrabook. Your refer to 2012 with present-tense. This is 2011. The existing ultrabook sales are "disappointing." How does that magically become almost 30M units? The IDC is predicting that PC sales will barely grow for the forseeable future.

You can argue all day that the MBA is going to take off into the stratosphere... but it didn't in 2010, where all of your arguments should apply. Why were you wrong in 2010 as well?

The M11x is not only cheaper, but also a better choice for gaming... something that people do care about. Saying people don't game is simply naive. Shitty games pull in a billion dollars these days.

May 2011: "Ultrabooks to go from 0% in 2011 to 40% in 2012"
Oct 2011: "Actually more like 20% in 2012"
Nov 2011: Acer, Asus cut ultrabook shipments by 40%
Dec 2011: "Actually, we mean more like 12% in 2012. But it will be 40% in 2015! We promise!"

Maybe they'll be right on the fourth go-round.

What you fail to see is who is pulling the strings here. Intel is the 800lb. gorilla in the room pushing ultrabooks to compete against tablets. Why buy a tablet when you can get a thin/light laptop that does everything you want it to do anyway? With Intel's backing, they are claiming that ultrabooks will be 40% of the laptop market by 2015. I have yet to see any evidence claiming that the M11x will have 40% of the laptop market by 2015 (or even 40% of the gaming laptop market).

I've had a M11x and it's a great computer for what it is. But Intel's IGP is "good enough" for most people. No one is denying that the M11x is a better gaming computer. I guess I'd deny the notion that "more" people care enough about graphics performance to buy a bigger, bulkier, heavier laptop vs. the thinner, lighter ultrabook.

I really wish I could find sales numbers for the M11x, because I still stand by my earlier statement that it's a niche product.

Guess tablets have reminded people of how nice portability happens to be when it comes to laptops.

What you fail to see is who is pulling the strings here. Intel is the 800lb. gorilla in the room pushing ultrabooks to compete against tablets. Why buy a tablet when you can get a thin/light laptop that does everything you want it to do anyway? With Intel's backing, they are claiming that ultrabooks will be 40% of the laptop market by 2015. I have yet to see any evidence claiming that the M11x will have 40% of the laptop market by 2015 (or even 40% of the gaming laptop market).

I've had a M11x and it's a great computer for what it is. But Intel's IGP is "good enough" for most people. No one is denying that the M11x is a better gaming computer. I guess I'd deny the notion that "more" people care enough about graphics performance to buy a bigger, bulkier, heavier laptop vs. the thinner, lighter ultrabook.

I really wish I could find sales numbers for the M11x, because I still stand by my earlier statement that it's a niche product.

The M11x isn't the everyman laptop. I don't believe anyone here has made that assertion.

That said, nVidia has been thumping a long quite nicely lately, jumping 9% in laptop discrete GPU market share in Q2. Somebody loves those gaming laptops.
http://blogs.barrons.com/techtrader...els-aggressive-sandy-bridge-push/?mod=BOLBlog

Considering the price premium of ultrabooks currently they're pretty niche too. Thin and light is great but that's really a non-functional concern and while it's great for mobility not everyone needs, wants or is willing to pay for it.

I'll never understand zero sum and uncompromising thinking. Millions and millions of people use computers with different needs, wants and budgets and there's tons of different devices in all various shapes, sizes and costs. I was just at Best Buy earlier tonight and saw a really nice laptop for kids, it had a spill proof keyboard and some pretty rugged housing, $400. Not thin and light by any stretch and with an AMD E-350 CPU it's slower than a Sandy Bridge ULV ultrabook but it's great for a kid. Just look around and there's just so many kinds of laptops.

Ultrabooks are great for those that need the portability but at their current price levels they are a ways off from being mainstream particularly in the PC world. Nothing at all wrong with that and being niche has nothing to do with the utility that thin and light can bring to those that need it.

Back