Internal or external Exhaust??

Patonb

Gawd
Going to buy a 560ti, but not sure how the overall cooling differs between something like an EVGA card, or the MSI card that doesn't duct out of the case.

I'm using a 650D and have a minor heat issue, 5--7C on my 4.0Ghz oc at 83C, so I'd like as cool as possible.

Anyone know of any review/comparision on the wed?

Thanks

If you have good air flow in your case then an internal exhaust unit will be fine for you. But if you do not have good airflow in your case, then you should likely go with an external exhaust solution.

I haven't seen any reviews but I have seen a warning from a case vendor that cards of a certain power should be vented out the rear.

Afaict a GPU with external exhaust will dump most of the heat it makes out of the computer while one without external exhaust will dump it all inside the computer.

Id expect what difference that makes will depend entirely on the airflow patterns in your computer, if you have a large air current going out through the expansion slot area the anyway (say a positive pressure setup with vented covers on unused expension slots) it probablly won't make any difference. If you don't then it could raise the temperature of both the GPUs and other items in the case quite a lot as the heat tries to find a way out.

Thanks guys, The coolers on the msi cards look like theyre better and would run cooler, but heats gotta go some where.

Redbeard says theyre making a mesh side for the 650, which will help.

I have a positive pressure, but its more for my cpu then gpu.

Gah i hate too many choices!

For your case, I highly recommend you get the MSI Twin Frozr II vesus the EVGA external exhaust blower style cooler for the following reasons:

1) Noise, the Twin Frozr II has two big fans which spin more slowly. Mine is overclocked and peaks at 68c with the fan at 60% and I cannot hear it over my 1200rpm Scythe case fans

2) Your case has very good airflow from the big 200's. Yes, your 950 runs hot, but the case should be dumping that air out pretty efficiently (assume you run fans at medium?). If you want to test whether better case airflow would reduce your CPU temps, take the side panel off and put a floor fan blowing air directly onto the CPU cooler, if temps don't change by more than 10c, then you have nothing to worry about with an internal exhaust card.

Taking oiff my side panel drops the temps 8 plus degrees.

The fans in the 650 frankly suck... er blow.... er not great.

you can have the same thing on a EE.

I agree with you, I typed that msg on my phone & for some reason the +1 is missing. (auto word correction....%^&%*)

What I meant was :

+1

I have great airflow and low temps, and want to keep it that way!

As in, it has low temps because I exhaust nothing inside the case.

Like Kyle said it really depends on your setup I have a silverstone raven rv-02 and have run both EE and IE cards in at have never really noticed a significant difference but your case may perform differently.

in my expierence EE cards do keep hot air out of your case but most IE coolers are way quieter. that and tbh people tend to worry way more about temps than they need to just keep your cpu under 80c and your gpu under 90c and otherwise shoot for having things as quiet as you can get.

anyways thats my 2c but ofc ymmv.

the IE will be quieter and better coolers at load operations with the expense of raising the ambient temp inside the case ever so slightly. eg you might see your nb go up a degree or two.

the EE cards will be better coolers in a gapless sli/cfx setup, due to the fact that they are generally just slightly thinner cards.
eg:
http://www.guru3d.com/imageview.php?image=26825

almost all 2 slot IE cards ive seen leave the cards physically touching each other or close enough so that no good airflow can go to the first card in a gapless dual card solution.

removing the shroud and fan and making your own is the best way to get the best of both all worlds. better cooling for the card, low noise, good sli/cfx cooling, and dump all hot air outside the case.
god bless this little device.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1..._PWM_Fan_Adapter_for_VGA_Cards_CA-PWM-01.html
i tend to pick the models with best coolers. (heatpipe, copper, etc)

Last edited:
I'll have to agree with someones statement earlier as long as temps are below 80 for the cpu and 90 for the gpu at load it doesn't matter imo. I have a mitx setup with a 6970 Lightning and I'm at 60c for the cpu and 70c for the gpu at load. I'm on a kuhler but still when the z68 mitx boards come out the temp on the cpu shouldn't go past 75c I'd imagine at 4.5 or so even with the Q08's contrained spaces.

in my expierence EE cards do keep hot air out of your case but most IE coolers are way quieter. that and tbh people tend to worry way more about temps than they need to just keep your cpu under 80c and your gpu under 90c and otherwise shoot for having things as quiet as you can get.

anyways thats my 2c but ofc ymmv.

Thats the thing, switchimng from my Antec 900 to the 650D Put me from 74 to over 80C on my oc, so I had to drop it.

But anywho, pickeup an EVGA 560ti -AR version for the warrentee.

Thanks folks for all younr insight.

I have a FT02 which is a positive pressure design, and I've noticed that the external exhaust cards still run a bit cooler. Unfortunately I do not have any numbers for you though.

I don't like external exhaust as it is noisier. The buzzing sound is obviously from my video card. I can hardly feel air from my PSU and CPU fan but the buzz is pretty irritating. A quick check at Catalyst Control center shows the fan spinning at 41%. Boy that sure is a lot for a tiny fan.

Back