Intel Sandy Bridge 2600K and 2500K Processors @ [H]

I wish the review would have talked about why Intel went back to dual channel memory from the earlier triple channel.

LGA1156 / P55 mainstream boards were still using a dual channel memory configuration. Most home / consumer level applications and most anything in office environments, mobile, etc. do not require the memory bandwidth offered by using a triple channel memory controller. All you are doing is driving up costs needlessly at that point. LGA1366 was designed for the server market and high end workstation / enthusiast markets where that bandwidth could be put to good use and cost was less of a factor.

um yea so...
I saw this article and was a bit impulsive to upgrade.

Went and purchased a 2600k and a ASUS P8P67 for and upgrade just this past Friday(14th).
And its been living in my truck since then..:(

Why?
"Hi honey, um...I just spent an Extra $500."
That would not exactly go well = Wife Agro

Ive been calling in debts to pay down the CC i put it on so its like seamless and the cost fades away..
Otherwise its Me that would be living in that Truck:D

I'm hoping to actually build it this Friday the 21st.

kudos, may actually change out my system and go SB since I skipped i7

I skipped the i7 and was hoping to be able to skip Sandy Bridge as well - unfortunately, Intel dumped cold water on that idea, in cooperation with memory fabs (LGA775 CPU pricing is headed up, and DDR2 now costs more than DDR3 for the same capacity). Sandy Bridge is now $600 worst-case for 8 GB/i5-2500K (use same case and drives, reinstall same OS, can transfer GPU but may not depending on integrated GPU performance) making staying LGA775 almost impractical.

They didn't ?
Socket 1156 was dual channel, socket 2011 which will replace 1366 will be quad channel

Lack of trips implementations for either 1156 or 1366 is why. Triple-channel would require either three or six DIMM slots (six is impractical for even most workstation motherboards - only servers have seen six-DIMM implementations with any regularity). LGA1156, 1366, and even 1155 support triple-channel in addition to dual-channel; however, motherboard real-estate remains at a premium (and even more so when it comes to mATX), which is why dual-channel remains easier and the default, as it requires as few as two slots (mATX) and no more than four (1155/H67 is just starting to see four-DIMM versions in the mATX formfactor; even there, two-DIMM remains the default).

Quad-channel would require four DIMM slots at minimum; however, with four-DIMM now a viable option even with mATX, it would not be a chore to implement.

Lack of trips implementations for either 1156 or 1366 is why. Triple-channel would require either three or six DIMM slots (six is impractical for even most workstation motherboards - only servers have seen six-DIMM implementations with any regularity). LGA1156, 1366, and even 1155 support triple-channel in addition to dual-channel; however, motherboard real-estate remains at a premium (and even more so when it comes to mATX), which is why dual-channel remains easier and the default, as it requires as few as two slots (mATX) and no more than four (1155/H67 is just starting to see four-DIMM versions in the mATX formfactor; even there, two-DIMM remains the default).

Quad-channel would require four DIMM slots at minimum; however, with four-DIMM now a viable option even with mATX, it would not be a chore to implement.

Incorrect. The block diagram for Sandy Bridge and the P67 chipset shows only two memory channels. LGA1155 and LGA1156 socket based platforms do not support three memory channels. Period. The memory controllers are different for P55 / P67 and X58 based systems. The controllers are onboard their respective processors, but they aren't the same. Reference Intel's own specifications on the matter.

As for the rest of your reasoning, I'm going to disagree with pretty much all of it. Just about every X58 motherboard I've ever seen has six DIMM slots on it. Given the amount of those boards on the market I'm going to go ahead and say that there are six DIMM slots on plenty of motherboards with regularity. They aren't necessarily server or workstation motherboards either. So there goes that theory. Going with dual channels instead of four was never about performance but rather cost. It makes the motherboards cheaper to produce and it makes systems cheaper because fewer memory modules are required for optimal performance. For the applications that most consumers run the extra memory bandwidth isn't worth paying a premium for. This allows Intel to differentiate their product line and better target their customers needs and maximize profits.

Incorrect. The block diagram for Sandy Bridge and the P67 chipset shows only two memory channels. LGA1155 and LGA1156 socket based platforms do not support three memory channels. Period. The memory controllers are different for P55 / P67 and X58 based systems. The controllers are onboard their respective processors, but they aren't the same. Reference Intel's own specifications on the matter.

As for the rest of your reasoning, I'm going to disagree with pretty much all of it. Just about every X58 motherboard I've ever seen has six DIMM slots on it. Given the amount of those boards on the market I'm going to go ahead and say that there are six DIMM slots on plenty of motherboards with regularity. They aren't necessarily server or workstation motherboards either. So there goes that theory. Going with dual channels instead of four was never about performance but rather cost. It makes the motherboards cheaper to produce and it makes systems cheaper because fewer memory modules are required for optimal performance. For the applications that most consumers run the extra memory bandwidth isn't worth paying a premium for. This allows Intel to differentiate their product line and better target their customers needs and maximize profits.

X58 is a workstation/enthusiast chipset, true?

And while there are plenty of hardware implementations of six-DIMM in X58, most actual customers don't buy that way (the memory manufacturers, in fact report a dearth of triple-channel kit sales; instead, dual-channel is what sells) so while I may have been wrong on the motherboard end, in actual sales practice, it evened out.

And I also pointed out that there was indeed a cost aspect of the preference for dual-channel as opposed to triple-channel; however, I may have been wrong as to where that cost aspect was (I was referring to motherboard real estate, whereas you were referring to bang for the buck in terms of dual-channel vs. triple-channel), and the i5/i7 K-series review that Kyle just did agrees with you (i5/2500K dual-channel performance ties i7-920/X58 trips performance). So we have triple-channel-equivalent performance without the PITA that buying triple-channel involves, let alone the price of triple-channel (in either absolute cost OR motherboard real estate). sometimes, it CAN be good to be wrong.

X58 is a workstation/enthusiast chipset, true?

And while there are plenty of hardware implementations of six-DIMM in X58, most actual customers don't buy that way (the memory manufacturers, in fact report a dearth of triple-channel kit sales; instead, dual-channel is what sells) so while I may have been wrong on the motherboard end, in actual sales practice, it evened out.

And I also pointed out that there was indeed a cost aspect of the preference for dual-channel as opposed to triple-channel; however, I may have been wrong as to where that cost aspect was (I was referring to motherboard real estate, whereas you were referring to bang for the buck in terms of dual-channel vs. triple-channel), and the i5/i7 K-series review that Kyle just did agrees with you (i5/2500K dual-channel performance ties i7-920/X58 trips performance). So we have triple-channel-equivalent performance without the PITA that buying triple-channel involves, let alone the price of triple-channel (in either absolute cost OR motherboard real estate). sometimes, it CAN be good to be wrong.

The X58 chipset is targeted at workstation and enthusiast markets. This is true and I'll give you that to some degree. But that's not what we were talking about. I responded to this statement:

(six is impractical for even most workstation motherboards - only servers have seen six-DIMM implementations with any regularity).

This is simply untrue. How people are buying memory isn't really relevant since you brought up the slot configuration on the boards themselves. The fact remains that there are many X58 motherboard models out there, they aren't a workstation only parts, and therefore six DIMM slot motherboards are fairly common. This does not mean they sell as much or more often than LGA1156 / LGA1155 boards which use only 4 DIMMs, far from it. You said it wasn't practical or occurred with regularity. A notion I reject as being false.

You also stated that LGA1155 / LGA1156 based Core i5 and i7 memory controllers supported three memory channels which is totally untrue. They do not. Intel's specifications and block diagrams show this is not the case. It's not that we have triple channel equivalent memory performance with dual channel P67 systems either. It's rather that most applications do not see an increase in performance due to the extra memory bandwidth despite the gap between P67 and X58 being rather large. It's more a situation of the bandwidth advantage going under utilized by today's software with very, very rare exceptions. Exceptions you will not find relevant to 95% of all computer users out there where desktop and even some workstation applications are concerned.

Ultimately X58, triple channel memory, and six core processors make for a faster system than even the best Core i7 2600K based system could offer much of the time. However this performance comes at an extremely high premium that the average Joe and even most enthusiasts will find hard to swallow. The ends simply do not justify the means for most people.

Pretty much every other board I have seen has 6 DIMM's. I was just pointing out it isn't hard to find one without. I mean its even an Intel product :p

Pretty much every other board I have seen has 6 DIMM's. I was just pointing out it isn't hard to find one without. I mean its even an Intel product :p

Yeah, that's an odd choice on their part. Though the layout is really bizarre anyway.

i really want one but i'm concerned about the mobo temps/dust issues w/ that vest.. also not sure why it's only 8+2 as opposed to 12+2 & 16+2 of the other ASUS boards

i really want one but i'm concerned about the mobo temps/dust issues w/ that vest.. also not sure why it's only 8+2 as opposed to 12+2 & 16+2 of the other ASUS boards

From what I understand it actually lowers temperatures. It doesn't raise them. The covers are actually designed to circulate air across the components. It would also at least partially insulate them from the heat generated by other components. At least that's the theory behind it. As for power phases, quality over quantity. I've seen really good overclockers with only 8 phases. Even less in some cases.

Engadget said:
A problem requiring a "silicon fix" is bad news in the chipset business, and sadly that's what Intel is announcing. Its new Intel 6 Series chipset, Cougar Point, has been found to have a flaw, something to do with the SATA controller. Intel is indicating that the ports can "degrade over time," leading to poor i/o performance down the road. All shipments have been stopped and a fix has been implemented for new deliveries, but it sounds like recalls will be starting soon for those with this ticking time bomb silicon within. It isn't a critical problem right now, though, so if you own a Sandy Bridge Core i5 or Core i7 system keep computing with confidence while looking for a recall notice, but it is bad news for Intel's bottom line: the company is advising a $300 million hit to revenue.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/31/intel-finds-sandy-bridge-chipset-design-flaw-shipments-stopped/

Ya, I just went to newegg today to re-do a price quote on a sandy bridge build and saw that Newegg no longer had any sandy bridge processors. Good thing I was waiting a few months to buy the new sandy bridge CPU, had a feeling this might happen (with new technology it always does) Wont be ordering my new build until late April or early May so this technology has time to mature. Thanks for the link, saved me some google searching.

Side note, other retailers such as Frys, Microcenter, and Tigerdirect are still selling some LGA 1155 cpu's. Sure hope others get the notice before they buy these defective CPU's

Are the 1155 motherboards defective as well?

Are the 1155 motherboards defective as well?

It only affects the chipset → Intel sata 3Gb/s to be exact. I have no idea why people keep assuming that the CPU is also inflicted with the issue.

Look at the freakin' diagram people!

p67-block-diagram.png

It only affects the chipset → Intel sata 3Gb/s to be exact. I have no idea why people keep assuming that the CPU is also inflicted with the issue.

Look at the freakin' diagram people!

p67-block-diagram.png

So most if not all P67 motherboards are being recalled? How come newegg stopped selling the CPU itself as well?

So, I bought my 2500k @ microcenter the other day and now that I got my paycheck, I can't buy any motherboards!! Do you guys think I should just return this processor and wait until the whole issue blows over? Do you think prices will drop or should I just keep this thing lying around..?

So, I bought my 2500k @ microcenter the other day and now that I got my paycheck, I can't buy any motherboards!! Do you guys think I should just return this processor and wait until the whole issue blows over? Do you think prices will drop or should I just keep this thing lying around..?

Just hold onto the chip. Motherboards will be available before too long.

That is a good question since intel is saying they are going to release fixed boards for this in feb, so lets say they flood the market at the start of march can you wait just over a month?

I don't think the 2500k price will drop at all in this time frame.

Its really a judgement call for you to make. If you are coming from a P4 or an old POS you may not want to wait.

I guess I will hold onto the chip and wait since there are some keyboards and cases I want coming out around that time. It sucks because I just sold my laptop this morning to pay for the new build :(. In the meantime, I guess I will just use campus computers and do more planning on hardware/looking for deals on others parts although my dell monitors will be lonely

I guess I will hold onto the chip and wait since there are some keyboards and cases I want coming out around that time. It sucks because I just sold my laptop this morning to pay for the new build :(

I feel your pain. I just sold the rest of my i3 setup in preparation of switching to SB and now I can't order the parts. The issue at hand wouldn't even effect me lol. So frustrating...

You can go ahead and order the mb of your choice and use it until the replacements become available if you like. Chances are you won't experience many problems as it stands now. This if there be some that can't wait for a month or so...

I just built a system for myself around the ASUS P8P67 Revolution and 2600K. Probably the easiest and most stable build I've done in awhile, BTW. The issues don't affect me directly cuz I'm using SATA III drives.

Anyway, I did purchase an ASUS P8P67 Deluxe and 2600K from Amazon and both are unopened/sealed. This was suppose to be for a build for my wife but with all the issues, she's thinking about returning it and waiting for things to get fixed since she can use my system and her old one for now.

If she does decide to return it, I would be willing to sell it for exactly the same cost I paid to purchase both items (I will provide copies of the receipts) plus shipping to you. If this flaw came to surface about a week earlier, I would be in the same situation as many of you. PM me if anyone is interested.

You can go ahead and order the mb of your choice and use it until the replacements become available if you like. Chances are you won't experience many problems as it stands now. This if there be some that can't wait for a month or so...

If you can find one. As I replaced my board last night (replacement for bad PCIe slot) it occured to me that, if that slot died this week, I might not be able to get a replacement until April. That would suck.

If you can find one. As I replaced my board last night (replacement for bad PCIe slot) it occured to me that, if that slot died this week, I might not be able to get a replacement until April. That would suck.

At the time of that post NewEgg had not pulled the mb's from their site lol. :p

I couldn't buy any from the 31st :(

I just built a system for myself around the ASUS P8P67 Revolution and 2600K. Probably the easiest and most stable build I've done in awhile, BTW. The issues don't affect me directly cuz I'm using SATA III drives.

Anyway, I did purchase an ASUS P8P67 Deluxe and 2600K from Amazon and both are unopened/sealed. This was suppose to be for a build for my wife but with all the issues, she's thinking about returning it and waiting for things to get fixed since she can use my system and her old one for now.

If she does decide to return it, I would be willing to sell it for exactly the same cost I paid to purchase both items (I will provide copies of the receipts) plus shipping to you. If this flaw came to surface about a week earlier, I would be in the same situation as many of you. PM me if anyone is interested.

I tried PMing you but I'm not sure if it went through or not since my PM sent box is empty.

Does anyone happen to know if these will work in the HM55 Mobile chipset mobos? I'd love to slot one of these into my lappy which is currently running a Core i5 430M (aka not that great). I know they're pin compatible, and I've seen things that indicate that it is possible to run a Sandy Bridge chip on an HM55, but no concrete proof that it won't work without either a special firmware or some kind of upgrade.

Does anyone happen to know if these will work in the HM55 Mobile chipset mobos? I'd love to slot one of these into my lappy which is currently running a Core i5 430M (aka not that great). I know they're pin compatible, and I've seen things that indicate that it is possible to run a Sandy Bridge chip on an HM55, but no concrete proof that it won't work without either a special firmware or some kind of upgrade.

No, they are not made for those sockets. The current Sandy Bridge CPUs can only fit in LGA1155 sockets which are only supported on the H67, P67, and Z68 chipsets. Only the H67 and P67 chipsets are even released and they have been taken off the market due to the silicon issue.

sorry guys to insist but i see some ppl here have this batch L045B021 can anyone post some results on it ? mine will be here in 2 weeks

cheers all
Sergio

its been a couple weeks since the last post in here, has anyone heard anything about the re-release of the 1155 boards? Im just about to get my tax return and the mobo/CPU are the only things I havent bought for my new computer yet. All my parts are staring me in the face right now and its worse than buying a new car and not being able to drive it!

I'm primarily going to use my next build for gaming and maybe some video editing and audio production. Primarily gaming. What would you guys recommend, a 2500k with a 60gb SSD, or a 2600k without an ssd?

Back