I'm a little worried gusy, please give me your input to calm me down...?

soulsaver_8229 said:
These texture issues do appear to vary from game to game and system to system, with some games appearing fine and some clearly having issues.
I'm one of the lucky ones too then. I play plenty of games, but typically not online first person shooters, though.

Marcdaddy said:
Man im having a hard time playing Half Life 2 on my secondary PC running a X800XT-PE i keep getting shimmering or flashing on my moniter, im using the latest Cats what gives, damn ATI card and this shimmering bug

are you sure your not playing on a 7800? ;)

First off... ATI isn't the top performer, they haven't been for some time. Sure, the x1800 xt may look nice on paper, but no one can buy it at the present time... By time you see x1800 xt's on Newegg, it will be december, maybe later given ATI's history with delays. ATI stated x1300's and other low end x1xxx models would be released today, have you seen any ? No. the x1xxx family is another paper launch coming from a sorry ass company with a horrible PR department and gimped marketing.

According to another thread on the forums i've read, the 7800 gtx refresh will be released in early 06, around the same time you can expect to get your hands on an XT. The gtx refresh might be packing 512 mb ram on it, and it will be .90 nm.

ATI is the only company i've ever heard of that has paper launched the same item twice... they're a complete joke... and all this crap about shimmering.. wtf ? I've never experienced " shimmering ", and those that have should download the newest drivers - they reportly fix shimmering.

Maybe when ATI quits doing lame ass paper launches they'll get some respect.

dagon11985 said:
First off... ATI isn't the top performer, they haven't been for some time. Sure, the x1800 xt may look nice on paper, but no one can buy it at the present time... By time you see x1800 xt's on Newegg, it will be december, maybe later given ATI's history with delays. ATI stated x1300's and other low end x1xxx models would be released today, have you seen any ? No. the x1xxx family is another paper launch coming from a sorry ass company with a horrible PR department and gimped marketing.

According to another thread on the forums i've read, the 7800 gtx refresh will be released in early 06, around the same time you can expect to get your hands on an XT. The gtx refresh might be packing 512 mb ram on it, and it will be .90 nm.

ATI is the only company i've ever heard of that has paper launched the same item twice... they're a complete joke... and all this crap about shimmering.. wtf ? I've never experienced " shimmering ", and those that have should download the newest drivers - they reportly fix shimmering.

Maybe when ATI quits doing lame ass paper launches they'll get some respect.

yeah see, nvidia is scared. they have to "refresh there 7800gtx to "keep up" with Ati's X1800XT :p

Im sick and tried of hearing that the shimmering bug is "fixed". Bullshit. When you walk around, and whenever there is a mip boundary it shimmers its absolute bullshit. If you turn on HQ to make this stop (though its still there, it does not go away completely) performance TANKS. When Nvidia can give me image quality theyll get my dollar again. Until then id rather play consoles then buy another GPU from them.

Cali3350 said:
Im sick and tried of hearing that the shimmering bug is "fixed". Bullshit. When you walk around, and whenever there is a mip boundary it shimmers its absolute bullshit. If you turn on HQ to make this stop (though its still there, it does not go away completely) performance TANKS. When Nvidia can give me image quality theyll get my dollar again. Until then id rather play consoles then buy another GPU from them.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Cali3350 said:

:d they make video cards for consoles to :)

I got No Problems Cali i switched from ATI to Nvidia, what drivers are you running?

Cali3350 said:

told you it wasent fixed. we have shimmer victims everywhere :(

Redefined said:
yeah see, nvidia is scared. they have to "refresh there 7800gtx to "keep up" with Ati's X1800XT :p

Dude... look at it in this light... the gtx came out june 21/22.... ok, you won't get your hands on the XT till probably around december if you're lucky... the xt SHOULD stomp the gtx.. but it doesn't... and thats sad...really sad... the gtx keeps up just fine, and actually surpasses it in a lot of games.

Marcdaddy said:
I got No Problems Cali i switched from ATI to Nvidia, what drivers are you running?

It doesnt matter, they all do it. At the moment the 81.84 betas.

If redefined says "pwned" one more time, I'm going to go medieval on this thread... in 30 days...

in paper...

start a countdown.

Cali3350 said:

Really dude, not sure what planet you live on. I know a lot of people running gt's, and a few that run gtx's and none of them have shimmer problems. I've never experienced them myself personally.

dagon11985 said:
Dude... look at it in this light... the gtx came out june 21/22.... ok, you won't get your hands on the XT till probably around december if you're lucky... the xt SHOULD stomp the gtx.. but it doesn't... and thats sad...really sad... the gtx keeps up just fine, and actually surpasses it in a lot of games.

show me where it surpasses it in a lot of games.

Cali3350 said:
Good solution, I always agree with casting your vote with your wallet. I encourage everyone to do the same no matter what products you are looking at. Choose the product that best suits you.

I'm using 77.72 and I get a lovely feature from this nVidia card, I call it Moire, and it is annoying as hell, and does NOT go away no matter what settings you use.

Now I think I'll go play more Diablo II, since it's the only game that runs properly on my nVidia card.

Borgschulze said:
I'm using 77.72 and I get a lovely feature from this nVidia card, I call it Moire, and it is annoying as hell, and does NOT go away no matter what settings you use.

Now I think I'll go play more Diablo II, since it's the only game that runs properly on my nVidia card.

I had that very same card, and that same card is on my gf's PC, too. Never had a problem with it, though.

Borgschulze said:

lol

I am not having shimmering problems anymore just performance in CS source is killing me. Using 2x 7800 gtx I should be getting great fps @ 1280x1024 rez (on HDTV can't go higher) recommended settings. I do, I can reach 300 steady walking around with people too. However, once gunfire goes off and nades go flying (bodies too) the fps dips down to the 30s. Ok so I tested it with many different settings. What surprized me is that when I turn it down to the lowest res, with the lowest IQ settings, I get the EXACT same fps (maximum and minimum) as the settings I normally use.

BTW, this does not happen at all in any other game. FEAR demo (that benchmark is complete horseshit, at 1280 x 960 , a side note - the damn demo does NOT have 1280x1024 setting, only 960!, anyway at that res with all settings max with soft shadows I average 60 fps), AOE3 demo, Doom 3, Far Cry, Bet on Soldier, Warcraft 3, Battlefield 2 (I get steady 100 fps and at most dips to 71 according to fraps with res at 1280x1024 but every setting maxed), and any other game gives me great FPS with all the settings maxed out. Only Source has been giving me HUGE headaches.

I used about every driver there is from the 77's to the beta 80's. Even third-party tweaked drivers. NADA. I have complained about this everywhere and noone seems to be having the same problems as I do. Could my dual-core proccessor be the problem? I have read somewhere that it does.

I know this is WAY off topic but I need input from other users if they are having the same problems in source as I do with 7800 gtx's in SLI (they are both factory overclocked to 490).

With the new beta 80's 3Dmark pasts 13k on stock settings.

specs in sig. thanks all. also if you feel like flaming me, do so in private messages. Thank you.

^ This Thread should be locked. Its just allot of Flaming.
Anywho I think the X1800XL while be faster or = in most games with better AF and = AA is only just as good as the 7800GT due to how long it took to come out.
Still if I were to go out and buy a new card tomorow I think the X1800XL or X1800XT (When they reach retailers) would be my prime choice due to the AF Improvements, 512Memory on XT, and Better Threading for future SM3.0 Games. Then their is the much more constant Driver Support and youve got a win.

Shimmering Existed but was'nt it slightly fixed in a newer Nvidia Driver?

Compression makes it a tad worse, but here goes nothing.
Moire Video

If you look at my signature, I have the hardware listed from most to least expensive, and by far the CPU is the most impressive, least impressed with the video card, I could play CS: Source on my 9600 Pro just as well.

Redefined said:
.......ummmm x850 anyone? When was that refresh?

Redefined said:
thats not by an official writer. i want a actual review please.

ATI has shimmer problems.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2005/09/08/cat58_shimmering/
There is a review site for you. Same site as your postto nVidia's shimmer problem I believe. Oh and the site even state that shimmer has been (for some at least) fixed. Now look at that...

And with the shimmering? Well, i THINK i noticed it once in HL2 right before 'sandtraps' where the train come up. The floor textures were being a bit funky for about 4 seconds. Only time. And I have hand this setup for quite a while now. I believe the problem has been fixed for most people. It might not work on some hardware, but thats just how computer hardware is. Hope for the best if it still bugs you.

Now ON THE TOPIC. I would get a 19" if I were you. I myself got a 20.1 inch, however, looking back, I shoulda got a 19". Luckly my father has a 19" in the office. I will trade with him when my setup can't take 16*12 without AA(at 16*12? 2x TAA is all I need) and maybe AF. Does the 8x.xx new feature (mix and match vendors) also allow you to mix and match Clock speeds? If it does you can look at buying hte cheapest GTX you can find and adding it in :D that will keep you at 16*12 for a while.
sigh..... oh well. :eek:

I'm happy the ban stick was swung around some. And last time I checked, the 6x00 serise had problems with farcry, but ATi gave me problems with CS:S last year with soem older drivers. Oh well. Stop staring at the floor and pop some heads...

Project_2501 said:
I'm happy the ban stick was swung around some. And last time I checked, the 6x00 serise had problems with farcry, but ATi gave me problems with CS:S last year with soem older drivers. Oh well. Stop staring at the floor and pop some heads...

Sorry I don't use sniper rifles, I can still notice the floor being totally messed up when I turn.

Borgschulze said:
Compression makes it a tad worse, but here goes nothing.
Moire Video

If you look at my signature, I have the hardware listed from most to least expensive, and by far the CPU is the most impressive, least impressed with the video card, I could play CS: Source on my 9600 Pro just as well.

Not being argumentative, just wondering...what am I looking for here? It looks fine to me.

.......ummmm x850 anyone? When was that refresh?

Your Absolutely right, but the X850s were mainly for production benefits over speed. None the less they did boost the core speed and it was good.

BLenderhedd said:
Not being argumentative, just wondering...what am I looking for here? It looks fine to me.

Look at the warping on the floor.
If you can't see if you need to visit the optomitrist.

while some people claim to get no shimmering. good for you guys, you are the lucky few. either you got a perfect hardware configuration or you guys just can't notice it. either way more power to you guys. that doesn't deny the fact that some people DO get shimmering. the issue isn't limited to one brand of cards. some people get shimmering w/ ati cards. is it more or less noticeable on an ati card? well everyone has a different opinion so i can't say. some people claim that the driver revision fixes their shimmering while some claim that it doesn't. again it goes back to lucky for you and unlucky for others. however, we can all conclude this:

-SHIMMERING CAN HAPPEN ON ATI AND NVIDIA CARDS
-SHIMMERING DOES HAPPEN ON SOME SYSTEM CONFIGURATIONS
-JUST BECAUSE YOU DON'T GET SHIMMERING DOESN'T MEAN EVERYONE ELSE DOESN'T
-UPDATING DRIVERS MIGHT REDUCE OR REMOVE SHIMMERING ON CERTAIN CONFIGS. ONCE AGAIN IT WONT APPLY TO EVERYONE
-ITS UP TO ATI/NVIDTIA TO FIX HIS ISSUE COMPLETELY
-LETS PLEASE STOP ARGUING ABOUT SHIMMERING

Borgschulze said:
Look at the warping on the floor.
If you can't see if you need to visit the optomitrist.

I saw it. I just didn't think it was notable. I just assumed it was some sort of optical illusion type effect of the pattern on the "carpet". I would not consider that to be a distraction during gameplay, but that's just me. I guess from all the anger being expressed here about the shimmering that it would have been something far worse.

BLenderhedd said:
I saw it. I just didn't think it was notable. I just assumed it was some sort of optical illusion type effect of the pattern on the "carpet". I would not consider that to be a distraction during gameplay, but that's just me. I guess from all the anger being expressed here about the shimmering that it would have been something far worse.

I am lucky, and dont get that pattern. If i did though it would be enough to make me go crazy. If THAT doesnt bother you durring gameplay, go get yourself a 6200/X300 card and play games on low. That obviously wont bother you either.

Cali3350 said:
I am lucky, and dont get that pattern. If i did though it would be enough to make me go crazy. If THAT doesnt bother you durring gameplay, go get yourself a 6200/X300 card and play games on low. That obviously wont bother you either.

Honestly if I was playing and running thru that room or shooting it out with someone I would never even notice the room beyond a place to navigate. Spend too much time staring at carpet (or weeds on a hill) and you end up dead. As you both have said, maybe it's just the video compression that is affecting the way I see it, but I really don't see why that is such a big deal.

As for the 6200/x300 comment, no thanks. Dropping frames DOES bother me. Smooth is good, pretty is a bonus, perfect will never happen.
Maybe if you played games that were more fun you wouldn't be bothered by these things.

BLenderhedd said:
Honestly if I was playing and running thru that room or shooting it out with someone I would never even notice the room beyond a place to navigate. Spend too much time staring at carpet (or weeds on a hill) and you end up dead. As you both have said, maybe it's just the video compression that is affecting the way I see it, but I really don't see why that is such a big deal.

As for the 6200/x300 comment, no thanks. Dropping frames DOES bother me. Smooth is good, pretty is a bonus, perfect will never happen.
Maybe if you played games that were more fun you wouldn't be bothered by these things.

Maybe if i didnt drop ~$350 on these things i wouldnt be bothered by sub-par filtering. Honestly, how could anyone NOT notice that moiring? Maybe if you only play to win your wouldnt mind, but i play to have fun. Seeing streeks across the middle of my screen isnt fun, its annoying.

Back