I'm a little worried gusy, please give me your input to calm me down...?

TheBlueChanell

Supreme [H]ardness
Hello, I am going to be building a new rig within the next month or two, and I read all the way through the [H] review of ATi's x1000 series. Towards the end they did a review of the F.E.A.R and COD 2 Demo's and both the 7series and the X1k series couldn't break 30fps running at 1600x1200. I am going to be purchasing a Dell 2005 which runs at 1600x1050 and I am concerned that the GTX won't be able to get by running that res with games such as Huxley, Quake 4, F.E.A.R and most important how will it run Elder Scrolls 4. What do you guys think, should I get a 19" LCD with a smaller res, or just hope to god the GTX will fair out at the 2005's native. I really wouldn't like to have to get SLI just to play at that res.

SaViOr- said:
2x 7800 GTX + Dell 2005/2405 = :D

can you say....shimmer party? :) anyways, get what ever suits your needs. the X1800XL looks to be a good buy.

Redefined said:
can you say....shimmer party? :) anyways, get what ever suits your needs. the X1800XL looks to be a good buy.

Yeah, it only got stomped just about everywhere it went by the 7800GT. :rolleyes:

Piss on the benchmarks, read the [H] evalution they actually tell you what the maximum playable settings are for each card at each res. The 7800 GT beats the X1800XL, in almost all aspects.

TheBlueChanell said:
Piss on the benchmarks, read the [H] evalution they actually tell you what the maximum playable settings are for each card at each res. The 7800 GT beats the X1800XL, in almost all aspects.

no it doesent. the X1800XL is a faster card. i havent seen 1 review telling me that the 7800GT shimmer card is faster.

Redefined said:
anything else to add? or did you get pwned?

:eek:

No.

FiringSquad shows 7800GT and x1800xl going back and forth. Also note the difference between the 7800GT vs. X1800XL results, whenever the X1800XL "wins" it's by 2 or 3fps, can't say the same for the 7800GT.

Besides, if the X1800XL is so great.. why don't we all buy it right now? :D

Redefined said:

Um.. you already posted that? Is that the only game the X1800XL outperforms the 7800GT?

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to stick with ATi- get to keep my drivers and all, not to mention every PC in this house is running an ATi card. But by the way things are going, I'll switch to Nvidia for the next 6 months.

TheBlueChanell said:

You are totally ignoring image quality. X1800XL has better fsaa across the board, better AF, FP blending HDR & AA. Include this with sm3.0 and Crossfire, what do we have then? THE POWER OF 6? :) (speaking in Nvidia terms ;) )
So your "all aspects" is a joke i presume?

You can buy all of ATI's latest and greatest now at Kinkos, plenty of paper there.

Id personally go for a X1800XL if you can find one ~$400. More features, pretty much same performance, much better image quality. Honestly, who the hell cares when the 7800GT wins if its shimmering like a bitch?

Cali3350 said:
Id personally go for a X1800XL if you can find one ~$400. More features, pretty much same performance, much better image quality. Honestly, who the hell cares when the 7800GT wins if its shimmering like a bitch?
100% agree. shimmering sucks

Redefined said:
are you saying that u want me to buy a 7800GTX shimmer card?

No, your card is fine.

Although, I've had a 6600GT and a friend's 6800GT, never noticed shimmering. Is it a problem affecting only 7800's?

SPARTAN VI said:
No, your card is fine.

Although, I've had a 6600GT and a friend's 6800GT, never noticed shimmering. Is it a problem affecting only 7800's?

yes, as ive heard the 7800's only have MAJOR shimmer issues. like when you move your mouse in games... ur screen would gitch.

SPARTAN VI said:
No, your card is fine.

Most deffinetely not. Id be more then happy to make a video quick showing it in wow on my 6800 if anyone actually wants to see it.

Its so bad it makes the game unplayable unless its on HQ. This would be fine, but HQ still shimmers (though much less) and performance tanks by ~40% in some areas.

Cali3350 said:
Most deffinetely not. Id be more then happy to make a video quick showing it in wow on my 6800 if anyone actually wants to see it.

Its so bad it makes the game unplayable unless its on HQ. This would be fine, but HQ still shimmers (though much less) and performance tanks by ~40% in some areas.

man, i feel sorry for you guys who have to deal with these shimmering issues.

LOL ATI !!!!!!s talking about shimmering need to STFU, LMAO i switched from ATI to Nvidia becuz i wanted the best performance i dont care about the price, shimmering has since been fixed and i only noticed it in one game and it was negliable. Its kinda like me saying dont buy ATI products the company is from CANADA, what a bunch of fuksticks people can be.

Redefined said:
man, i feel sorry for you guys who have to deal with these shimmering issues.

Well, I really feel sorry for you ati fans that will have to wait at least a month for a card that is only comparable to the 7800's.

Marcdaddy said:
LOL ATI !!!!!!s talking about shimmering need to STFU, LMAO i switched from ATI to Nvidia becuz i wanted the best performance i dont care about the price, shimmering has since been fixed and i only noticed it in one game and it was negliable. Its kinda like me saying dont buy ATI products the company is from CANADA, what a bunch of fuksticks people can be.

well it looks like nvidia is not the TOP performer now. so it looks like you will have to switch back to Ati if you want to be the top performer again :eek:

Redefined said:
yes, as ive heard the 7800's only have MAJOR shimmer issues. like when you move your mouse in games... ur screen would gitch.

Not so sure how significant a"MAJOR issue" is to an ATi enthusiast. Besides, I remember about a month back the problems was supposedly fixed in a driver release, for some anyway.

Not to mention, if it's so bad... why would the card sell?

Marcdaddy said:

Yeah your right, when every texture on the ground is shimmering whenever you move it doesnt make a difference at all. Thats like me saying i dont buy something because of the country that its made in.

WOW.

MGDMN said:
Well, I really feel sorry for you ati fans that will have to wait at least a month for a card that is only comparable to the 7800's.

i feel bad for your eyes. they must go through hell when you play a game ;)

Marcdaddy said:

Lol threads like these always make me laugh. Though, I have to agree, the shimmer issue is a bit overplayed.

Marcdaddy said:
Um, actually no...its not like you saying that...one is a fact and one is your prejudice.

LOL i do want the top performance right now its 2 7800 GTX OCs from XFX 490/1300 in SLI, What am i gonna buy a MISFIRE MOBO and run 2 ATI cards? LOL WHERE ARE THEY AT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marcdaddy said:
LOL i do want the top performance right now its 2 7800 GTX OCs from XFX 490/1300 in SLI, What am i gonna buy a MISFIRE MOBO and run 2 ATI cards? LOL WHERE ARE THEY AT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there proboly making sure it wont shimmer like the 7800GTX. and man, 2 7800GTX = a shimmer party.

Ok, seriously, WTF Is this shimmer bullshit im hearing all of a sudden? I"ve got a OC GTX ona 2405 and and sure as hell dont' experience a fucking "shimmer" effect you guys are having a hard on sausage fest about. And my eyes are pretty sensivtive to little shit but I aint noticing one hoo haa of a "shimmering" "sparkling "twinkling, masturbating my dick" effect on my 7800

Ya redifined your right theres so much simmering i cant tell what game im playing, Last time i checked there is shimmering on ATi cards as well.

So, guys how about my original post...anewayz well I've decided since the x1800xt pwns the 7800 GTX in the firingsquad benchies I'm going to go get one, o wait....I can't find I'll guess I'll just wait for them to appear somewhere. The X1800's might have a shimmering problem too, but nobody knows because, they're knowhere to be found.

Back