I admit it, I was wrong.

I knew I would get an ignorant comment like that if it was taken out of context. The bananas was and example of the stuff that looked like it belonged in a game from 4 years ago. Pretty much all the objects in the game especially the ones indoors looked horrible compared to the rest of the graphics.

That's like whining that that pavement textures in a brand new flight sim are put to shame by CS 1.6. The bananas look fine. We don't need two thousand poly normal mapped bananas to make the game look good. Being able to put lots of clutter in a game is much better for immersion than making sure that a very few items have uselessly ridicules LOD0s and a bunch of normal mapping all over them.

That's like whining that that pavement textures in a brand new flight sim are put to shame by CS 1.6. The bananas look fine. We don't need two thousand poly normal mapped bananas to make the game look good. Being able to put lots of clutter in a game is much better for immersion than making sure that a very few items have uselessly ridicules LOD0s and a bunch of normal mapping all over them.
well the point was that Crysis still tanks on frames even when there are shitty indoor graphics on the screen. and yes the bananas and shit look ridiculously old and out of place compared to the rest of the graphics.

who the fuck is looking at goddamn bananas? seriously do you people scrutinize all games this much? I feel sorry for you people.

who the fuck is looking at goddamn bananas? seriously do you people scrutinize all games this much? I feel sorry for you people.
Well I feel sorry for people that cant read because if you could then you would know its not just the fucking bananas. Everybody keeps taking that out of context. Its basically most of the objects in game and the inside environments that look shitty compared to the stunning vistas outside. :rolleyes:

Well I feel sorry for people that cant read because if you could then you would know its not just the fucking bananas. Everybody keeps taking that out of context. Its basically most of the objects in game and the inside environments that look shitty compared to the stunning vistas outside. :rolleyes:

No I can read fine. It's all fine and good to stop and look around to see what the game is composed of. It's another to bitch and moan like a girl when you find something you dislike and feel it should be better.

Lets take Mass Effect for example. The game is pretty good looking and does a lot right. Great environments that are well detailed and constructed. The faces are pretty damn good as well.

However! You'll notice that a lot of the textures are plain shit. And this isn't small stuff like bananas or cans, this is walls, clothing, floors, etc. That has a larger impact than small shit like you're saying. Even with that, people still let it go, because the overall game had a great experience. Crysis might not have the exact same experience but the simple statement applies - let it go.

But yes, the luxury hut walls an tables and bananas are very important to the story and feel that you're really on an island overrun by mercenaries.

No I can read fine. It's all fine and good to stop and look around to see what the game is composed of. It's another to bitch and moan like a girl when you find something you dislike and feel it should be better.

Lets take Mass Effect for example. The game is pretty good looking and does a lot right. Great environments that are well detailed and constructed. The faces are pretty damn good as well.

However! You'll notice that a lot of the textures are plain shit. And this isn't small stuff like bananas or cans, this is walls, clothing, floors, etc. That has a larger impact than small shit like you're saying. Even with that, people still let it go, because the overall game had a great experience. Crysis might not have the exact same experience but the simple statement applies - let it go.

But yes, the luxury hut walls an tables and bananas are very important to the story and feel that you're really on an island overrun by mercenaries.
like YOU fucking speak for everybody. stop trying to be asshole because you dont agree with what someone else is saying. my fucking point for the THIRD time was that those parts of the game look dull, outdated and somewhat out of place compared to the mostly stunning outside graphics and still produce low framerates. this thread isnt about gameplay and storyline :rolleyes:

No, I think cannondale does have a point. Mass Effect's forte is not its graphics capability, but Crysis' forte is graphics and gameplay. It is true, the small items in the game are not up to snuff. Fact. Also, I'm not a whiny Crysis basher, I fucking LOVE the game. The ways in which you can do things is unheard of in other games and I'm currently on my 3rd run though ( I think, haha) on Delta difficulty not to mention the countless times I've replayed different battles just for the hell of it.

P.S. I hate the stupid mob mentality of picking some shit out of context and tearing it apart.

haha thanks! I was like..WOW there is a lot of posting about bananas!!

So there we have it Folks, the Real problem is with Expectations.

Crysis was Expected to be the End-All-Be-All for Graphics and we expected it to perform like the video's from E3 and the like prior to its debut.

It did not meet EVERY expectation, therefore it does not please EVERY person.

Games that have the expectation of great gameplay, or the like, are judged by that criteria. Crysis is judged by its Graphical Prowess and Performance. The Latter being the biggest dissapointment for 99% of the people out there.

* I * expected Crysis to run like Shit on my old rig, therefore, when it did in places, I was not dissapointed. So I played it on gameplay alone and enjoyed it

So when the company that coded the fuggin' thing comes out and says, "Okay, we admit it, we could've optimized it better," that's not evidence? There's nothing factual about the PEOPLE WHO CODED IT saying, "The coding isn't great."

Ze goggles. Zey do nothing.

First of all, and most importantly, people have been whining about this ever since Crysis launched, and that statement was only recently made, none of it has been justified. No actual proof has been put forwards during this time to back that claim up.

Now we have the developers, who are under pressure due to their sales being bad, to make sure they look good in the publics eye for when Crysis 2 hits, and the biggest complaint? "Crysis doesn't run well on my hardware" or "I can't run max settings"

Until they actually produce an equal quality game that runs faster it's not proof in the slightest, if you think the Crytek team are magically above PR bullshit stunts I'd say you're incredibly naive.

Whats a simpler and easier way to increase performance, uhhh dur...set the presets to be less demanding?! Maybe...just maybe...

Again this is not proof, this is just conjecture.

There is no game I've ever seen that looks as good as Crysis (especially in the jungle) and runs better, if such a thing exists then show me now, otherwise I have no interest in the further ramblings of people with bruised egos because Crysis came along and kicked them squre in the e-peen. Get over it.

If Crysis 2 is released and it boasts significantly** better performance and the quality of what is being rendered is at least as good as Crysis I will be happy to believe that Crysis is/was "unoptimised", until then my mind remains open to any proof either way!

** "significantly" - I'm not saying Crysis is perfectly 100% optimised, nothing ever is, but peoples claims of it being an "unoptimised piece of shit" is an extreme statement which would require evidence of it being "extremely unoptimised".

Saying no game looks as 'good' as crysis is very subjective. Good can mean good art direction or good immersion factor because of a graphical environment.

Fact is, no game looks LIKE crysis because there are no other games with tropical outdoor environments. HL2 indoor environments have character and detail that no crysis indoor environment has thats for sure.

You guys think the textures look bad? I had my textures turned up and was amazed by the textures on the sandbags. Look at them, you can see the threads!

I am sick of people that say Crysis is terrible just because it doesn't run smooth as silk on their 2 year old machine, or with ultra high settings on their brand new machine at 1900x1200 resolution. Just shut up about it and play the goddamn game at the settings your system allows. You don't have to have the settings at max to enjoy the game.

First of all, and most importantly, people have been whining about this ever since Crysis launched, and that statement was only recently made, none of it has been justified. No actual proof has been put forwards during this time to back that claim up.

Now we have the developers, who are under pressure due to their sales being bad, to make sure they look good in the publics eye for when Crysis 2 hits, and the biggest complaint? "Crysis doesn't run well on my hardware" or "I can't run max settings"

Until they actually produce an equal quality game that runs faster it's not proof in the slightest, if you think the Crytek team are magically above PR bullshit stunts I'd say you're incredibly naive.

Whats a simpler and easier way to increase performance, uhhh dur...set the presets to be less demanding?! Maybe...just maybe...

Again this is not proof, this is just conjecture.

There is no game I've ever seen that looks as good as Crysis (especially in the jungle) and runs better, if such a thing exists then show me now, otherwise I have no interest in the further ramblings of people with bruised egos because Crysis came along and kicked them squre in the e-peen. Get over it.

If Crysis 2 is released and it boasts significantly** better performance and the quality of what is being rendered is at least as good as Crysis I will be happy to believe that Crysis is/was "unoptimised", until then my mind remains open to any proof either way!

** "significantly" - I'm not saying Crysis is perfectly 100% optimised, nothing ever is, but peoples claims of it being an "unoptimised piece of shit" is an extreme statement which would require evidence of it being "extremely unoptimised".

It would have to be optimized for both DX9 and DX10, let's not forget. And DX10 itself could use some tweaks. Considering DX9 runs faster and can very nearly replicate the DX10 quality I'd say it's optimized fairly well. Then again I'm not an expert. But then, I've not yet heard any expert testimony on either side.

You guys think the textures look bad? I had my textures turned up and was amazed by the textures on the sandbags. Look at them, you can see the threads!

Ignore the sandbags... Focus on the bananas. ;)

wow amazing.. I was the one of the biggest posters who said that relying on crysis for reviews was a big mistake. I knew I was 100% right. I just wasn't going to crow about it. I am glad Dan that you manned up and admitted it. Now I can't wait to see you guys start using other titles to review cards with. :)

And for those claiming it's heavily unoptimized.

Specifically, Yerli told German outlet PC Games that a 400 euro (roughly $620) PC could run the title, with high settings enabled, at 30 to 35 frames per second. Curiously, he did not detail the resolution at which this is possible

We are upset at ourselves actually, because we miscommunicated some of the things. We labeled certain things wrong inside the game, like configuration for example. We could have labeled it more efficiently, saying that very high [detail] should have been ultra high, and high should have been very high, because our high compared to other games' high was a generational difference. But the perception from the gamer was that if he qualified for medium, he said, "Hey, I'm playing other games at high. Why don't I play Crysis at high, too?" And it's a fair enough question.

It was just a naming convention issue, because our medium could easily compete with any high, and very high should have been ultra high as a means of futurizing. Then we might have received less critiquing about configuration issues, and this created the feeling of, "I will not play this game until I have the right PC because I don't want to spoil my experience." This kind of excuse happened even between my friends. I said, "Guys, play the game now. Don't wait for it like three months, six months, because it's out now."

I think we are fixing a lot of this with Warhead.

Want to run high? We'll do what every other game in existance does. We'll just rename our current medium to be high. Voila, $600 computer which can run Crysis Warhead on high.

But my PC can't run on very high @ 60 fps nor ultra high @ 60fps. Sorry, but high, medium, very high, ultra high, etc, they're all just words. There is no exact definition of what they stand for, and medium does look better than most games on their Super Duper High settings. So now, all the people who have complained get their reward. They can run the spin off on high on their computers. Yet it will look much worse than Crysis on high (until they bring this "optimization" to Crysis).

Back