Horizon Forbidden West

Forbidden West.png

I've been looking forward to this game on PC for years. Since I found out they made Aloy gay, I cancelled my pre-order yesterday.

The first game was perhaps the most feminist game I've ever played, with a lot of SJW politics in. It was one of the things I didn't like about it, despite liking the overall game.

Essentially, DF says in this video that the day one port runs well, without any of the issues that plagued the original game’s pc port on launch day. Nice.

I figured between this and Dragon's Dogma 2 that Forbidden West would be the more stable game at launch...DD2 has some performance issues that need to be patched

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I am definitely going to buy it sometime for the better graphics but not now. DD2 for me cause like vegeta535 I also played it and finished it a while ago. Hopefully by the time I buy it I'll be able to get it on GoG. :)

I guess I’ll engage in some braggadocio here as well: I also have 4 TB of nvme space, which has been taken up by installed games that I rarely ever play (or have barely even begun). It’s the equivalent of a woman who has her high heel collection on display in her bedroom: she has over fifty pairs and can’t possibly wear them all on a regular basis, but there they are for her to look at. I look at my installed games a lot and dream about one day actually playing them. LOL.

Also, I personally won’t be launching the game until after work, but a quick check at other gaming forums reveals that the port is virtually flawless and that Nixxes should be commended.

(And maybe Sony should be commended for buying Nixxes?)

I've been looking forward to this game on PC for years. Since I found out they made Aloy gay, I cancelled my pre-order yesterday.
Welp, there goes my interest in even completing the first game...

Welp, there goes my interest in even completing the first game...
I've never even started it yet.
I'll be damned if the protagonist's desire for muff diving for bearded oysters or munching some rug is going to put me off from playing it, especially when I share the same desires being a str8t male. ;)

I've never even started it yet.
I'll be damned if the protagonist's desire for muff diving for bearded oysters or munching some rug is going to put me off from playing it, especially when I share the same desires being a str8t male. ;)
Fair enough. I really can't argue where you're coming from, having dived into a few muffs myself. :p

And when was the last time you played some of those games? :sneaky:
I'm quite sure I have NO idea what you're talking about, sir.

But in seriousness, between RDR2, Callisto Protocol, CP2077, and Starfield that's approaching 500 GB right there. I do also have probably too many VR games installed that I never get around to playing.

How was that? I've read in steam reviews that it's... not good...

EDIT: Sorry for the sidebar, guys... Just a one and done question.
We have a thread for it. People have mixed opinions throughout. I really enjoyed, others did not.

I'm more concerned about my precious NVME space. :D

add another drive...I have an NVMe and also added a secondary SSD (Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA 3)...I put the games that will most benefit from the NVMe on there and the other games on my SSD

even in the best case scenario the difference in loading time between a fast SSD and a PCIe Gen 4 NVMe is very small...the bigger difference is going from a mechanical HDD to SSD

add another drive...I have an NVMe and also added a secondary SSD (Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA 3)...I put the games that will most benefit from the NVMe on there and the other games on my SSD

even in the best case scenario the difference in loading time between a fast SSD and a PCIe Gen 4 NVMe is very small...the bigger difference is going from a mechanical HDD to SSD
I already have 2 of 2 NVME drives, 1 TB and 2 TB. I also have a 512GB SATA SSD. I might just end up replacing that at some point with a larger SATA SSD, not sure.

i7-9700K, RTX3090, PCIe SSD here, I know I'm pushing it, but it seems to run fairly well cranked up, however, I noticed I had some hitching. I typically have a 98FPS cap set and force vsync on via NVCP or ProfileInspector, I also set my display to 100Hz in the game settings if supported; this doesn't seem to jive with HFW. Having vsync on via NVCP and vsync off in-game seems to cause hitching in the game. In NVCP, I set 'Use the 3D application setting' for vsync in the HFW profile, then enabled vsync in-game and it appears to have smoothed out the gameplay.

I'm definitely struggling to hit 100FPS with the Very High preset at 3440×1440, but it's doing alright. Patiently waiting for 15th gen Intel CPUs and 50-series Nvidia GPU to come out.

Are you using DLSS? It's really good and you could leverage the extra fps boost. Vsync without Gsync will have some frame juddering, is just the way it is especially when you're pushing the GPU hard. I suspect your CPU will be the bottleneck though as the 3090 should be powering through this game easily at UWA 1440.

I too am on 3440x1440 but have been playing DLDSR 5160x2160 but honestly even though it runs at over 100fps at that, I think I prefer 3440x1440 (DLAA) which is also over 100fps. This game's motion is so smooth and responsive it's unreal.

For ref I am on a 12700KF and 4090. No hitches anywhere it is probably the first game in a long time that has no technical issues whatsoever from day 1 and runs so good, plus looks amazing too even though it has no RT so has the usual screenspace effects failures.

Quick gameplay video, recorded at 120fps using the Nvidia App so youtube should play it back as "high framerate".

View: https://youtu.be/cXr9mmcYWz0
(processing ETA is 90 minutes remaining so might be worth checking back)

Nixxes mostly, Guerrilla messed up Zero Dawn remember and Nixxes had to come to the rescue and fix that.

Back