Horizon Forbidden West

150 hours into HFW. Hit level 80. Damn, it's been a struggle.

Cauldron Kappa can go fuck itself. Character died more times than I'll admit. After the last death, got my head out of my ass. Completed a few side quests to level and obtain a couple of Legendary weapons. Went on a few other side quests to obtain the materials needed to max the Legendary Weapons. Went back in, died because of a mis-step, learned from the mistake then proceeded to kick Tideripper ass.

Started Burning Shores. Been a blast through & through. Currently trying to find the Delver's Trinkets. Have two so far. Exploring more of the areas to find the others.

final battle of the base game or Burning Shores DLC?

More than likely base game. I didn't start Burning Shores until over 100 hours in. I'd imagine most players would start base game final battle around 80 hours which is where StryderxX is close to.

Patch 1.2.48.0

-Stability improvements
-Optimizations to address stutter that could occur on specific locations
-Fixed an issue that could cause the Level and XP bar to be displayed incorrectly
-Fixed visual corruption that could occur on the map when using AMD Radeon RX 6000 GPUs
-Opening the Weapon Wheel now puts the mouse pointer in the center of the wheel
-When clearing a key binding, this no longer resets to the default key after a restart of the game
-Skills are not automatically learnt anymore when showing information when Toggle is enabled for Menu Hold Actions
-Various UI bugfixes

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2420110/view/4199118427682767426

20240406171351_1.jpg

Ultra hard is such a pain in the ass, and I LOVE it. It is what I would expect from fighting big chunky heavy robots with energy weapons. It really requires a lot of stealth I'm only about 31 hours in, and a few hours ago I passed to the main territory. I grinded a bit to get my triple arrows and some. I'm pretty sure I'll get at least 150 hours in.

Ultra hard is such a pain in the ass, and I LOVE it. It is what I would expect from fighting big chunky heavy robots with energy weapons. It really requires a lot of stealth I'm only about 31 hours in, and a few hours ago I passed to the main territory. I grinded a bit to get my triple arrows and some. I'm pretty sure I'll get at least 150 hours in.
How do you use stealth on ultra hard? Are you slowly picking away at them while hiding and then changing hiding spots and waiting for them to stop looking for you?

How do you use stealth on ultra hard? Are you slowly picking away at them while hiding and then changing hiding spots and waiting for them to stop looking for you?
Exactly this. You can't just go charging in and hope for the best. You have to plan your attack and take advantage of your surroundings. Tag the bots you are attacking to concentrate on them 1 by 1. I grinded a bit for my 3 arrow shot, and I'm trying to max out my silent strikes.

Reactions: djoye
like this
This did not end well.

Horizon Forbidden West Complete Edition Screenshot 2024.04.21 - 01.42.01.65.png
Horizon Forbidden West Complete Edition Screenshot 2024.04.21 - 10.28.14.07.png
Horizon Forbidden West Complete Edition Screenshot 2024.04.21 - 17.24.36.51.png
Horizon Forbidden West Complete Edition Screenshot 2024.04.21 - 18.50.07.32.png

Horizon Forbidden West Complete Edition Screenshot 2024.04.21 - 18.12.37.37.png

Graphics aside, which generally look quite good, I think I prefer the first game. I find it to be a lot more clunky control wise. Seems like even the basic machines are harder to knock parts off of and which discourages the use of more interesting weapons, but I am probably less than a quarter of the way done.

Patch 1.3.55.0

Release Notes

-Improved the visual quality of dust
-Added Interface Text Size option in the General Settings menu
-Improvements to texture streaming to reduce memory usage and improve quality
-Updated Intel XeSS to version 1.3 with improved image quality and new XeSS Native AA option
-Resolved performance regression when enabling NVIDA Reflex On+Boost
-When using Quick Slot hotkeys to select weapons, the last used ammo type used will now be remembered
-Improved smoothness of camera movement in Photo Mode when using the mouse
-Removed hardcoded Mouse and Keyboard bindings for actions such as Navigation Assist in Focus Mode. They now listen to their respective remappable key bindings
-Various optimizations and stability improvements
-Various UI bugfixes

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2420110/view/4173223363960212449

Patch 1.3.55.0

Release Notes

-Added Interface Text Size option in the General Settings menu
-Improvements to texture streaming to reduce memory usage and improve quality
-Updated Intel XeSS to version 1.3 with improved image quality and new XeSS Native AA option
-Resolved performance regression when enabling NVIDA Reflex On+Boost
-When using Quick Slot hotkeys to select weapons, the last used ammo type used will now be remembered
-Improved smoothness of camera movement in Photo Mode when using the mouse
-Removed hardcoded Mouse and Keyboard bindings for actions such as Navigation Assist in Focus Mode. They now listen to their respective remappable key bindings
-Various optimizations and stability improvements
-Various UI bugfixes

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2420110/view/4173223363960212449
I said the other day, the dust could be better. Wow, these guys are really focusing on the small stuff… oh, sorry, I meant ‘people’… those people. Apparently, we’re not supposed to say guys anymore. I’m not making this up.

They really went out of their way to make Aloy look like a fat head. Surprised there aren't any mods to fix that yet.
In the first game what it looks like is they took the child Aloy head and made it bigger and left it at that. Her face looks like it's still 4 years old with a bunch of baby fat and no maturing.

It's been a while since I played the first game but at least in some of the screen shots for the second game it looks like they may have made it even worse by making the face fatter and made it look more masculine.

Aloy face in Forbidden West is a caption of actress Hannah Hoekstra. More precisely, "she is voiced by American voice actress Ashly Burch and modeled after Dutch actress Hannah Hoekstra."
Aloy's model in the base game is closer to what Hannah Hoekstra actually looks like than in Forbidden West. They gave her the Nick Avocado treatment in Forbidden West.

2mxo862mrkfa1.jpg

Actress at a similar age to Aloy in the games.

In Forbidden West she looks very weird at some angles. Her forehead is kept the same size seemingly but her lower face looks a too wide by a large margin. In some angles it looks almost unnatural. It looked better in Zero Dawn, which itself seemed to widen Aloy's face compared to the actress. Forbidden West took it a level further.

I'm not complaining, Aloy is a smoke show honestly. Actress is cute. The game is great I need to get back to it, really enjoying the story.

Was that the strange line that appeared in the dust texture animations?

Aloy's model in the base game is closer to what Hannah Hoekstra actually looks like than in Forbidden West. They gave her the Nick Avocado treatment in Forbidden West.

Yup....
AQEAYABgAAD4QAiRX-efe875b43750128454c31d675cf5fd4e.jpg

I know which one of these I prefer...

1714021530459.png

1714021469768.png

Attachments

• E2mQKpQWQAAC5DM?format=jpg&name=large.jpg
    E2mQKpQWQAAC5DM?format=jpg&name=large.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I'm not really sure why they made the change. It looks a bit off like her face is swollen. Her lower face became a lot wider but the top stayed the same. Looks a bit unnatural. Reminds me much of what happened with Tomb Raider 2013. In Rise and Shadow they widened her face for some reason and that was a deliberate change.

My assumption is they do this because they can get around royalties for the actress or something. Change the face enough and they can probably avoid it for sequels.

They made her uglier to appease the ugly, woke morons that think women aren't allowed to be beautiful or it's a hate crime. The same people that went feral over stellar blade.

The problem is Stellar Blade is cringe. I'm sure people can make characters that look more realistic. It doesn't have to be unnatural/ugly or anime-whore.

I'm not really sure why they made the change. It looks a bit off like her face is swollen. Her lower face became a lot wider but the top stayed the same. Looks a bit unnatural. Reminds me much of what happened with Tomb Raider 2013. In Rise and Shadow they widened her face for some reason and that was a deliberate change.
I just told you why they made the change. They started heavily injecting lesbian themes into the second game and then went full lesbian with the DLC. Granted, the VA for Aloy is also a lesbian…
…but it was literally the entire plot line and life goal for the main villain in the second Horizon game. I almost quit the game after that point. She wanted to whisk Aloy away on a magic lesbian carpet ride as she had a lesbian romance with her clone a millennia prior.

I didn’t mind the Tomb Raider change as much because she was still attractive for Lara Croft, but they’re full on making her look like a trans dude in the upcoming game. I’ll give you a guess as to why.

My assumption is they do this because they can get around royalties for the actress or something. Change the face enough and they can probably avoid it for sequels
Nope. They’ve been uglifying the original models a lot lately and it has nothing to do with royalties.

The problem is Stellar Blade is cringe. I'm sure people can make characters that look more realistic. It doesn't have to be unnatural/ugly or anime-whore.
No, the problem is bowing down to the alphabet mafia. It isn’t more “realistic” to make the characters ugly. Statistically, most girl gamers still want their protagonists to look beautiful. Although I find the VA for Aloy to be an insufferable person, she’s still pretty and she’s still a talented VA (she was also Tiny Tina and a million other things). You not acknowledging the problem going on doesn’t mean there isn’t a problem going on. I wish it wasn’t, but it’s infecting our games like a plague.

Last edited:
I just told you why they made the change. They started heavily injecting lesbian themes into the second game and then went full lesbian with the DLC. Granted, the VA for Aloy is also a lesbian…
…but it was literally the entire plot line and life goal for the main villain in the second Horizon game. I almost quit the game after that point. She wanted to whisk Aloy away on a magic lesbian carpet ride as she had a lesbian romance with her clone a millennia prior.
Having lesbians in a matriarchal society isn't far-fetched. They never explored Aloy's sexuality in the first game from what I can remember, so she was never established as heterosexual. That was just your default assumption.
I didn’t mind the Tomb Raider change as much because she was still attractive for Lara Croft, but they’re full on making her look like a trans dude in the upcoming game. I’ll give you a guess as to why.
I agree. The face model in the original game was actually kind of poor, and they tried to make it look closer to the face in the opening cutscene with the "next gen" version on consoles. Her character model looks really good in Rise, but they kind of made her a bit frumpy in Shadow for some reason. In Rise she has the shoulder muscle, but they made her more pear shaped in Shadow.
Nope. They’ve been uglifying the original models a lot lately and it has nothing to do with royalties.
True. I can understand making changes to reflect the character's personality and history, but why is it always the chin? That is a rhetorical question because I think we all know why.
No, the problem is bowing down to the alphabet mafia. It isn’t more “realistic” to make the charades ugly. Statistically, most girl gamers still want their protagonists to look beautiful. Although I find the VA for Aloy to be an insufferable person, she’s still pretty and she’s still a talented VA (she was also Tiny Tina and a million other things). You not acknowledging the problem going on doesn’t mean there isn’t a problem going on. I wish it wasn’t, but it’s infecting our games like a plague.
Also true. I take issue with the fact that people are upset over an "unnatural" female character model when we get that for male characters literally all the time. Not to mention that Eve's body in Stellar Blade is in no way unnatural, though it might be to the landwhales who can't seem to control their diet. There is a person I see every day at work who has her body type. People have just gotten so used to masculine or androgynous designs for female characters because of how slowly they have changed the norm over the past decade and a half.

Having lesbians in a matriarchal society isn't far-fetched. They never explored Aloy's sexuality in the first game from what I can remember, so she was never established as heterosexual. That was just your default assumption.
I never made any assumptions about her sexuality because, like you said, they never brought it up.
My main issue is that it's the entire underlying plot point for the main villain's existence, who apparently has such incredible hang ups and insecurities that she can't even get over a relationship that ended thousands of years in the past. Her and Aloy having that excessively long conversation where the villain is trying to get Aloy to run away with her on the ship and then wants to annihilate humanity all over again because she refuses.

Also true. I take issue with the fact that people are upset over an "unnatural" female character model when we get that for male characters literally all the time. Not to mention that Eve's body in Stellar Blade is in no way unnatural, though it might be to the landwhales who can't seem to control their diet. There is a person I see every day at work who has her body type. People have just gotten so used to masculine or androgynous designs for female characters because of how slowly they have changed the norm over the past decade and a half.
Yeah, I mean, the body scan belongs to a literal human that exists and is actually that beautiful. I see women like this all the time at the gym. Taking care of yourself goes a long way.

Although I find the VA for Aloy to be an insufferable person, she’s still pretty and she’s still a talented VA (she was also Tiny Tina and a million other things).

Talented voice actress sure, but pretty is quite a stretch. I think you're mistaking the the model Aloy is based on (which I posted above) with Aloy's voice actress. They're two different people.

Last edited:
Talent voice actress sure, but pretty is quite a stretch. I think you're mistaking the the model Aloy is based on (which I posted above) with Aloy's voice actress. They're two different people.
No, I'm talking about the VA for Aloy, Ashly Burch. She's pretty when she doesn't have stupid haircuts, but she gets stupid haircuts often. The model they based Aloy on is much prettier, but they of course made Aloy ugly by comparison. I don't understand why they do this. If you're just going to make the character ugly, then pick some random ugly person off the street for the model.

Back