Holy crap, it worked! Dead video card, resurrected!

Yes I did and that was my point. Again it was started in 2009. Then it was idle until 2013. then it started up again. If you enjoy reading, print it out and knock yourself out. Point being knocking people's post out the way to revive isn't a good thing.

We all like to read stuff. But not old stuff that doesn't matter in 2014. Namely 460, 560ti, Xboxes and now a tv. But not nothing that was 2011 on back. So roll your eyes if you like. Being smart is a good thing these days but is not very common in the forums in 2014. Plus breaks are not given they are earned as the same for respect.

Everything resurrected in this thread is still relevant, regardless of the age of the equipment.
This thread was res'ed again in 2014 multiple times.

You've been a member of this forum for too long to act like an angry troll; come on man, you're better than that. :cool:

This is a helpful thread, and sometimes, it is useful to go back and see older techniques which may have been lost to the ages for use on modern equipment, GPUs or otherwise.
I'm honestly surprised the thread hasn't been stickied, considering it has over 1 million views.

Everything resurrected in this thread is still relevant, regardless of the age of the equipment.

Indeed.

Not just the equipment but the different techniques and temps people utilized in attempting to repair broken hardware. I read a good number of postings before attempting it myself based on successful attempts.

Some people think the past has no value, I'd rather read about other peoples mistakes before attempting to repeat them.

You're absolutely correct. Because the last thing I would want to do is not get a good bake on a $25 dollar video card in 2014. It probably cost more to heat the oven up and prepare the card than the total value of the gpu.

If it was some dual gpus or like the NVidia 6xx or 7xx even some ATI 7xxx series it would be interesting. After baking a $25 dollar card and it working doesn't really get me going. But if it floats your boat then so be it. I have to get back to work. So enjoy the thread as I'm out.

Indeed.

Not just the equipment but the different techniques and temps people utilized in attempting to repair broken hardware. I read a good number of postings before attempting it myself based on successful attempts.

Some people think the past has no value, I'd rather read about other peoples mistakes before attempting to repeat them.

You're absolutely correct. Because the last thing I would want to do is not get a good bake on a $25 dollar video card in 2014. It probably cost more to heat the oven up and prepare the card than the total value of the gpu.

I saved a 14 month old HDTV which at the time was $400. I know because I ordered the replacement.

If it was some dual gpus or like the NVidia 6xx or 7xx even some ATI 7xxx series it would be interesting. After baking a $25 dollar card and it working doesn't really get me going. But if it floats your boat then so be it. I have to get back to work. So enjoy the thread as I'm out.

Good fucking riddance!
Quit thread crapping and go make your own damn thread.

Some necros are more worthy than others. I don't see the problem here when information still has relevance. Peace.

Hah, I've just used this oven 'trick' and successfully resurrected my MSI GTX 580 Lightning Xtreme 3GB :D (also, my first post, I'm a lurker :p)
The GPU is over 3 years old, which I bought for €600 back then.

This card (running in SLI as the master (top card)) crashed about a week ago while playing the Unreal Tournament (4) alpha. The temperatures were normal (about 76°C on the master, and 66°C on the slave (bottom card)), so I'm not sure what caused the crash. So I rebooted and there were artifacts all over... So I let it cool down a bit, and tried again, still artifacts. So I was pretty bummed out, and I couldn't get it working again. After some testing, I found out it could only operate in 2D mode with artifacts (green horizontal lines) and no 3D at all. So I decided to give it a rest, put the GPU on my shelf and do some research on what I should upgrade to next. While doing some research, I figured why not do a search on the internet about how to fix GPU artifacts green lines, and I found this thread :cool:

So this weekend I tried it because I couldn't use the card anyway, so what did I have to lose? The results were good :)

I'll describe my baking process with some pictures (I've put them in spoiler tags for better readability).

Before pictures, same GPU tested in different machine
EPyzW6B.jpg
rM2cUvf.jpg
Prebake, prepping & removing dust:
mHtICAW.jpg
Tt2rPaI.jpg
dAvTOFl.jpg
DbC7oor.jpg
jyeKNjo.jpg
5M6oj5v.jpg
FdLonZg.jpg
In the oven we go!
I preheated to 200°C, then baked for 9 minutes, then turned off the oven and let it cool down with the lid closed for 1 minute.
After that I let it cool down for 30 minutes in the oven with lid open, and then another 30 minutes outside the oven.
14bJjMW.jpg
flnFKhy.jpg
otAH0sn.jpg
5WXgwVl.jpg
After the bake and letting it cool down for a total of 1 hour, here are the results!
ufju0IK.jpg
PE0Fluj.jpg
3G8cLN4.jpg
For anyone who's interested: I've put the baked card back in as the slave (bottom slot) so it won't get as hot anymore. Also the temperatures and performance are the same as before baking. Temperatures are a bit better actually, but that's probably because of the removed dust & reapplied thermal paste.

I'm pretty pumped this worked. Lets hope it'll lives on for another year, so I can upgrade at the right time ;)

Last edited:
Yes I did and that was my point. Again it was started in 2009. Then it was idle until 2013. then it started up again. If you enjoy reading, print it out and knock yourself out. Point being knocking people's post out the way to revive isn't a good thing.

We all like to read stuff. But not old stuff that doesn't matter in 2014. Namely 460, 560ti, Xboxes and now a tv. But not nothing that was 2011 on back. So roll your eyes if you like. Being smart is a good thing these days but is not very common in the forums in 2014. Plus breaks are not given they are earned as the same for respect.

You have been here all this time and still do not know how to properly quote a post? Hint, you quote it and then reply BELOW the quote.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hah, I've just used this oven 'trick' and successfully resurrected my MSI GTX 580 Lightning Xtreme 3GB :D (also, my first post, I'm a lurker :p)
The GPU is over 3 years old, which I bought for €600 back then.

Awesome man, I am so happy this worked for you! I have baked many a tasty computer item with great success!!:p

I've tried baking my dead card once but all I got is toxic fumes, and a card that's still as dead as before.

after 3 months of mining, my msi r9 290 become unstable
when start load gpu, then computer freeze and reboot
is there have chance to resurrect this card

I think my younger brother revived an Xbox 360 from the dead with baking method. Was a total win, cause he got it for free. :D

after 3 months of mining, my msi r9 290 become unstable
when start load gpu, then computer freeze and reboot
is there have chance to resurrect this card

Unless it is artefacting or something, you're out of luck. Mining wears out the graphics card faster.

Thought I would show up here with my success story. Had a Sapphire Vapor X 7950 go grey screen on 3d for me. RMA was impossible and I had nothing to lost. Gas stove pre-heated to 200C (392F) then prepped as followed:
suu8fo.jpg

10 minutes later, turned off heat, opened door and let it air cool. After 15 minutes I put it on a shelf and left for a few hours. Put on new paste and secured cooling and it works! Half hour of Furmark and my buddy is happy gaming again!

Damn handy thread.

Thought I would show up here with my success story. Had a Sapphire Vapor X 7950 go grey screen on 3d for me. RMA was impossible and I had nothing to lost. Gas stove pre-heated to 200C (392F) then prepped as followed:

10 minutes later, turned off heat, opened door and let it air cool. After 15 minutes I put it on a shelf and left for a few hours. Put on new paste and secured cooling and it works! Half hour of Furmark and my buddy is happy gaming again!

Damn handy thread.
Absolutely bitchin'. Strong work!

I would strongly recommend heating the card gpu side face up. The capacitors and another parts can fall off. I had this problem on a ati 9800 pro 6 years ago.

That's what I thought too, but almost 90% of the bakes are GPU side down.

That's because one person started it with it facing down online and everybody just followed. It is most logical to do it face up as most of the components are on that side of the PCB and crucial components such as the IC's, GPU chip, caps, resistors, chokes, vrm's are on that side it is most sensible to bake with it facing up. Funny thing that when I first did my oven bakes with it facing down the cards didn't work and after my 9800 pro fiasco I did it face up with other stuff and ay presto! Works sweet.

just a heads up to some, 350F may be too high for some plastics. I baked two motherboards today at 350F for 10min, and it caused a little bubbling on the paint of a on board power button, as well as a little warping of a plastic on board troublshooting LED screen.

Hey guys I have a LG tv that shows nothing on the screen any more. The Power board looks great but Im questioning the tcon board. you think I could bake it and see what happens?

Hey guys I have a LG tv that shows nothing on the screen any more. The Power board looks great but Im questioning the tcon board. you think I could bake it and see what happens?

I did, still working great after years.

Hey we don't hesitate to put a malfunctioning hard drive in the freezer for a while to see if it will boot back up when cooled down, so why not a light oven bake?

Nice fix!!

Kid

sorry if necro but i registered to report than i bring my olde trusty HD7770 Ghz Edition from the artifact death with this method

i had tick red vertical lines on screen
(dont mind the text i was testing the ram sticks so thats why it displayed the message
)
ibiljg3Bym605P.jpg

so i used a gas oven, 4 minutes at 170 C, chip facing up and covering the caps and connector with aluminum foil

iNk8PcafcbjqR.jpg

the result was artifacts gone!
(again dont mind the message)

iY29fu067nTcv.jpg

Curse you Haste266 (and antipesto93)! I had to break my 8 year lurking streak so I can say thanks for this oven trick.

Baked my reference AMD 7970 this weekend and it went from artifacts during boot/unable to get into Windows back to gaming like normal. I have an electric oven so I preheated it to 400F then turned it off. Put the gfx card in for 7 minutes then took it out so it could cool on the counter. Going strong for 3 days now.

Thanks mates!

Reactions: haste
like this
Gratzs,

I have done something similar in the past with a dead 360.
I removed the motherboard and from the back side of the BGA I used a propane torch to heat just the BGA area. Obviously getting too hot is the risk but in the end it worked fine.

Glad to hear, SpiderMouth. It's amazing this thread is still looked at after all these years...

Curse you Haste266 (and antipesto93)! I had to break my 8 year lurking streak so I can say thanks for this oven trick.

Baked my reference AMD 7970 this weekend and it went from artifacts during boot/unable to get into Windows back to gaming like normal. I have an electric oven so I preheated it to 400F then turned it off. Put the gfx card in for 7 minutes then took it out so it could cool on the counter. Going strong for 3 days now.

Thanks mates!
The one thing you DO NOT want to do is bump a bga chip while the solder is hot you dont want to flex the board or move the chip let it cool where it sits maybe with the door open.

Back