Holy crap, it worked! Dead video card, resurrected!

Unreal! I can't believe I haven't heard of this or tried it before.

So here's what I want to try it on, and would like some advice on the 'right' way to do it. I have two g.skill ddr 1gb modules that a friend sent to me. Unfortunately, during shipment, someone two of the modules heatsinks knocked of a resistor from each module. :( I have the resistors, but they are too tiny for me to solder. So what about baking them back to life, and if so how?

I've soldered those years ago. I believe the trick is to not use too high of head when you do it.. I don't think the oven trick will work.

Prob best to find someone local that can did it or online.. hopefully the resistors are not damaged.

Sounds like I should suck it up and run to Microcenter for some thermal pads then... I don't have any foil so that option would require a run to the store

unfortunately the card still isn't working. 375 deg F for 8-10 minutes or so.

I've soldered those years ago. I believe the trick is to not use too high of head when you do it.. I don't think the oven trick will work.

Prob best to find someone local that can did it or online.. hopefully the resistors are not damaged.
It's so tiny I wouldn't want to risk it. The resistors fit perfectly from where the solder was 'cracked' when each one broke off. The problem is the cost of repairing them is the same as getting some of off ebay. :(

Welp I've baked a few cards in the past with pretty good results. Today the patient is an MSI Twin Frozr III GTX 570. Since it was a freebie, it's been artifacting on occasion and I also get a wave effect overlay during dark images/screen saver mode. Let see if the "Oven Trick" will work on this oldie. Gonna see if 400 deg F for 10min will do it.

*Update*
It worked! No wave overlay and no artifacting...yet. Just benching it with MSI Kombuster @ stock settings. Load temps don't exceed 57c. Looks like it'll live to fight another day! :)

The Patient:

Attachments

• DSC00085.JPG
    DSC00085.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Reactions: haste
like this
It's so tiny I wouldn't want to risk it. The resistors fit perfectly from where the solder was 'cracked' when each one broke off. The problem is the cost of repairing them is the same as getting some of off ebay. :(

what's your zip SamirD?

Welp I've baked a few cards in the past with pretty good results. Today the patient is an MSI Twin Frozr III GTX 570. Since it was a freebie, it's been artifacting on occasion and I also get a wave effect overlay during dark images/screen saver mode. Let see if the "Oven Trick" will work on this oldie. Gonna see if 400 deg F for 10min will do it.

*Update*
It worked! No wave overlay and no artifacting...yet. Just benching it with MSI Kombuster @ stock settings. Load temps don't exceed 57c. Looks like it'll live to fight another day! :)

The Patient:
This reminds me that we have an older agp card that started having issues with artifacting when a monitor is connected to the system locally (you can rdp into it and it's working fine). I wonder if baking that card will help? And how should I go about doing it (temp, how long, prep, etc)?

This reminds me that we have an older agp card that started having issues with artifacting when a monitor is connected to the system locally (you can rdp into it and it's working fine). I wonder if baking that card will help? And how should I go about doing it (temp, how long, prep, etc)?

The consensus is between 375/400 deg F & 8-10min baking time. You have nothing to lose at this point. Try it ;)

Check it out

Last edited:
I have an old 6770 or something that was DOA when it was mailed to me. It was mailed in a bubble wrapper, and ebay didnt give refund. Anyway, I wonder if soldering broke down and it could be baked..

I have an old 6770 or something that was DOA when it was mailed to me. It was mailed in a bubble wrapper, and ebay didnt give refund. Anyway, I wonder if soldering broke down and it could be baked..

I would carefully inspect the card to see if anything broke off or is missing before baking it. You have nothing to lose at this point also, so why not give it a shot if it's intact?

Sounds like an easy fix. As in hold the resistor in place so it fits perfectly like a puzzle and hit ea side with a wet tip iron for a sec to just re solder it. 20-25 watts prob do it.

bummer man, win some lose some
Yeah, I got the card for free from a co-worker to SLI with my 570 so I could play some newer games with him so no big loss. I guess I gambled a couple bucks worth of time and thermal pads on it haha.

I think it means I should just start saving for that 1070 :)

The consensus is between 375/400 deg F & 8-10min baking time. You have nothing to lose at this point. Try it ;)

Check it out
375 for 8 minutes it is. I'll have to try this when I get back to the card. I can set the temperature even more precisely since it's digital and moves in 5 degree increments.

I'm assuming I'll need to remove any paper/stickers?

Sounds like an easy fix. As in hold the resistor in place so it fits perfectly like a puzzle and hit ea side with a wet tip iron for a sec to just re solder it. 20-25 watts prob do it.
That sounds pretty easy, although I don't think I've got a tip small enough--all I have are those cheap $2 irons from Radio Shack. :(

How many times were you guys able to revive a single faulty device? Asking because I'm planning on going to town with the heat gun on my mom's youtube laptop. I've already done that twice, the first time lasted 6 months but the second time gave it only an additional day. I'm thinking of going all out and giving it a solid 2 minutes instead of the usual 1 minute.

375 for 8 minutes it is. I'll have to try this when I get back to the card. I can set the temperature even more precisely since it's digital and moves in 5 degree increments.

I'm assuming I'll need to remove any paper/stickers?

The stickers you can leave alone as nothing will happen to them. Everything else has to come off. Be sure to clean off all the thermal goo from the gpu core and wipe down the memory as I'm sure they have pads. Be careful taking the pads off as you don't want to destroy them. You'll want to reuse them.

How many times were you guys able to revive a single faulty device? Asking because I'm planning on going to town with the heat gun on my mom's youtube laptop. I've already done that twice, the first time lasted 6 months but the second time gave it only an additional day. I'm thinking of going all out and giving it a solid 2 minutes instead of the usual 1 minute.

Never revived a laptop and never used a heatgun on a pc part so I cannot comment. However I've revived 2 or 3 video cards twice using the "Oven Trick".

all except one the GPUs i've revived with the "oven trick" have lasted for months or even years without present any issue later, the only mentioned issue was with a Geforce 9800GTX+ backed and used for like 6 months and then replaced with a GTX 280 and was stored for 1 full year before I gave to a friend who used for couple of months and started to artifact again.

The last GPU backed was a GTX 660ti its still working fine after 2 entire months.

all except one the GPUs i've revived with the "oven trick" have lasted for months or even years without present any issue later, the only mentioned issue was with a Geforce 9800GTX+ backed and used for like 6 months and then replaced with a GTX 280 and was stored for 1 full year before I gave to a friend who used for couple of months and started to artifact again.

The last GPU backed was a GTX 660ti its still working fine after 2 entire months.

Tanks!

The stickers you can leave alone as nothing will happen to them. Everything else has to come off. Be sure to clean off all the thermal goo from the gpu core and wipe down the memory as I'm sure they have pads. Be careful taking the pads off as you don't want to destroy them. You'll want to reuse them.
Thank you for the tips! From what I remember, the gpu heatsink doesn't seem to have any paste at all (may even be molded on or not even have one--haven't look at the board in months). And a stupid question, but what is a 'pad'? I've read about these in this thread, but still haven't figured it out. :oops:

Thank you for the tips! From what I remember, the gpu heatsink doesn't seem to have any paste at all (may even be molded on or not even have one--haven't look at the board in months). And a stupid question, but what is a 'pad'? I've read about these in this thread, but still haven't figured it out. :oops:

Memory cooling pads look like pieces of chewing gum. Your card may or may not have them. They're made of a spongy like material and cover all the memory squares on the card. The card has to be completely cleaned and have nothing on it. Bare card only.

Memory cooling pads look like pieces of chewing gum. Your card may or may not have them. They're made of a spongy like material and cover all the memory squares on the card. The card has to be completely cleaned and have nothing on it. Bare card only.
Interesting. Nope, nothing like that--just bare chips. :)

Interesting. Nope, nothing like that--just bare chips. :)

Cool! Ok just remove the heatsink, clean off the GPU core. Make sure there's nothing on it. Then follow the instructions I linked you to. Remember to place the card upright so the GPU core is ontop. Then follow the rest. You should be good to go.

Keep us posted!

Cool! Ok just remove the heatsink, clean off the GPU core. Make sure there's nothing on it. Then follow the instructions I linked you to. Remember to place the card upright so the GPU core is ontop. Then follow the rest. You should be good to go.

Keep us posted!
Sweet! Definitely a project for when I get to the card again. :D

Lol. Instructions are all in this thread, especially if you read the first few pages. I think it's funny that another user is giving us a link to another site away from [H].

Lol. Instructions are all in this thread, especially if you read the first few pages. I think it's funny that another user is giving us a link to another site away from [H].
It definitely doesn't hurt to have a couple of different sets of instructions since this isn't an exact science...yet...

Im about to bake the board in my 2015 Razer blade 14. GPU is artifacting X_X

And with the amount of old pc hardware I have stored, I'm glad it's here for when I need it haha

Need to know how to bake or use a heat gun on a ti4200 with memory heatsinks I cant remove.

I suspect it's the GPU die. Card bought on ebay and it white screens with red dots all over the place.

Former owner installed a Zalman gpu cooler on it and tightened the spring nuts too tight and the pcb was pretty bowed inward. The AFP fingers was bowed from it and slight burn Mark's in the center contacts. Was able to clean it up pretty good.

Picture and everything works great till I try to game or benchmark. Min in and white screen.

Tighten the heatsink and it happens quicker.

So hoping I can use a heatsink on her.

Edit: holy crap, I just bought a brand new sealed MSI ti4600 128mb 8x card on ebay! Haha only been checking for years and what a time for one to pop up! Haha.. wife is gona smack me!

Last edited:
Need to know how to bake or use a heat gun on a ti4200 with memory heatsinks I cant remove.

I suspect it's the GPU die. Card bought on ebay and it white screens with red dots all over the place.

Former owner installed a Zalman gpu cooler on it and tightened the spring nuts too tight and the pcb was pretty bowed inward. The AFP fingers was bowed from it and slight burn Mark's in the center contacts. Was able to clean it up pretty good.

Picture and everything works great till I try to game or benchmark. Min in and white screen.

Tighten the heatsink and it happens quicker.

So hoping I can use a heatsink on her.

Edit: holy crap, I just bought a brand new sealed MSI ti4600 128mb 8x card on ebay! Haha only been checking for years and what a time for one to pop up! Haha.. wife is gona smack me!
I thought a 8x ti4600 was known as a ti4800? It's been a while since I had a ti, but I was rocking those when everyone else had 5700/5900s. Playing half life 2 in dx8 :)

I thought a 8x ti4600 was known as a ti4800? It's been a while since I had a ti, but I was rocking those when everyone else had 5700/5900s. Playing half life 2 in dx8 :)

The ti4800se was basically a ti4200 with now 8x. The ti4600 was top dog out of the 4200/4400/4600/4800se.

Super pumped to be getting a brand new sealed card after ordering 3 bad cards in a row:

Diamond monster voodoo1 4mb card - black mold "I think" on the i/o plate. Took a night to clean off as I thought or was hoping it was rust at first. Still of yet to test.

Gainward ti4200 128mb - owner put a zalman quiet VGA heatsink on it and on the memory chips. Wasn't made for the card and he mounted it threw the small 4 holes around the chip and way too tight. Bowed the card so much that the Agp connector is not flat, more of a rainbow shape to where the middle must of been arching and had burn marks on 3 gold fingers. Cleaned and re attached the heatsink with 2 out of 4 screws so it wont bow the card and now within a min I get a white screen with red dots. So figuring the GPU chip needs to re soldering (baked).

3rd card today - geforce 400mx 128mb agp. Another listed as new and in original open box. Card might be new but has a leaked aluminum poly cap out of 2 and not the right box. Box is for a geforce fx card. :/

I'm doing great! 3 bad out of 3.

The ti4800se was basically a ti4200 with now 8x. The ti4600 was top dog out of the 4200/4400/4600/4800se.

Super pumped to be getting a brand new sealed card after ordering 3 bad cards in a row:

Diamond monster voodoo1 4mb card - black mold "I think" on the i/o plate. Took a night to clean off as I thought or was hoping it was rust at first. Still of yet to test.

Gainward ti4200 128mb - owner put a zalman quiet VGA heatsink on it and on the memory chips. Wasn't made for the card and he mounted it threw the small 4 holes around the chip and way too tight. Bowed the card so much that the Agp connector is not flat, more of a rainbow shape to where the middle must of been arching and had burn marks on 3 gold fingers. Cleaned and re attached the heatsink with 2 out of 4 screws so it wont bow the card and now within a min I get a white screen with red dots. So figuring the GPU chip needs to re soldering (baked).

3rd card today - geforce 400mx 128mb agp. Another listed as new and in original open box. Card might be new but has a leaked aluminum poly cap out of 2 and not the right box. Box is for a geforce fx card. :/

I'm doing great! 3 bad out of 3.

"The Ti4200 with AGP-8X support was based on this chip, and sold as the Ti4200-8X. A Ti4800SE replaced the Ti4400 and a Ti4800 replaced the Ti4600 respectively when the 8X AGP NV28 core was introduced on these" :p

Back