HD5770x2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seriously doubt that a 5850 uses 85 less watts than a 5870.

I know very little about gpu design but it seems very unlikely that ATI would release a dual gpu 5770 for several reasons. The main one being that the money they would make on it would be a lot less than their other cards. It has nothing with it being or not being a good performer. I'm sure ATI could make a card that worked very well.

I was using the Anandtech review for power consumption but their single card result seems a little off compared to others so yes it's less than that. :)

Subjective question. Depending on the reviews they will either be sold out for a month or sold out for a week. BTW how did you find that link? I couldn't find it by going to sapphire or searching for any variation of 5770.

I was just curious if they had greater availability because of the disabled clusters, as for the link I found it with a random boredom search of newegg video cards. Seen that and a diamond 5770 but they hadn't created a group for the cards so I figured it was just put on and I'd share.

Edit: it was a HIS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161306
and a GIGABYTE http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125301 my bad

I was just curious if they had greater availability because of the disabled clusters, as for the link I found it with a random boredom search of newegg video cards. Seen that and a diamond 5770 but they hadn't created a group for the cards so I figured it was just put on and I'd share.

Edit: it was a HIS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161306
and a GIGABYTE http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125301 my bad

Awesome thanks. I will be getting the Gigabyte one most likely, just because it is so pretty and probably won't be sold out as long as the XFX one. :D

Subjective question. Depending on the reviews they will either be sold out for a month or sold out for a week. BTW how did you find that link? I couldn't find it by going to sapphire or searching for any variation of 5770.

I think these are going to sale out quick.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102858 is the 5770 supposed to have better availability than the previous 5800 cards?

The 5770 and 5750 will be the cards ATI intends to sell the most of. I assume part of the reason 5800 availability is low is because ATI decided to devote more manufacturing time to the 5700 line.

I am sure they want to get a card in to as many systems that were previously nvidia and or sway people looking at GTX cards right now.

5700 availability in my opinion is crucial if ATI is really going to capitalize on beating nvidia to market with it's new generation. And I am sure ATI is aware of that more then anyone else. So this is why I think 5700 availability will be wide spread with better 5800 availability once ATI is sure they have the bread and butter market fully covered.

Impressive enough for its price point. Not so hot for Eyefinity type resolutions due to the crippled bus. I think when ATi bins enough parts a 5830 w/1120 SP and 256bit bus for $199-209 will be what I will be looking for if one gets released. Maybe they will just drop the 5850 into that price bracket after X-mas when the high end X2 card comes out.

Impressive enough for its price point. Not so hot for Eyefinity type resolutions due to the crippled bus. I think when ATi bins enough parts a 5830 w/1120 SP and 256bit bus for $199-209 will be what I will be looking for if one gets released. Maybe they will just drop the 5850 into that price bracket after X-mas when the high end X2 card comes out.

Agreed, unless the price of the ram used on these cards is to high making it a lose, lose situation for ATI I also expect to see something like a 5830 at the $200 price point and it will probably be the sweet spot for tipple monitor gaming on a budget. I just don't expect to see it before I settle on a card to purchase.

I expect the [H] 5770 review to show exactly where the castrated memory bus comes in to play if it does at all for gaming. I am trying to hold out for 2gig 5850 and 5870 cards but my list of games i want to play is starting to get a bit long. It's bad enough I had to go back to one of my old 1680 displays to get some decent old school gaming in the 8800GT card I am using at the moment.

If the [H] review shows the 5770 can handle gaming across 3x 1680 displays then I will grab one as soon as I am done reading the review. If not then I will try and hold off a bit longer in the hope we see a few more options added to the mix since I am not yet convinced the 5850 has the long term value I am looking for in a product at the 5850 price point.

looking at some reviews the 5770 crossfire setup is better looking than I thought. still the 5850 does beat it in some cases while using way less power under load and costing 60 bucks less. not to mention no crossfire issues to ever worry about. so I still say the 5850 would be the smarter overall choice.

looking at some reviews the 5770 crossfire setup is better looking than I thought. still the 5850 does beat it in some cases while using way less power under load and costing 60 bucks less. not to mention no crossfire issues to ever worry about. so I still say the 5850 would be the smarter overall choice.
I'd consider 5770 Crossfire up to 1680x1050. At 1920x1200, you're going to start hitting bandwidth limitations in some games, and it'll only get worse. At that point (1920x1200), I'd switch over to a 5850 or 5870 depending on your budget.

crossfire 5770 is $320, wouldn't anyone in their right mind (other than SonDa5) get a 5850 for less or a 5870 for 60 more?

I'd consider 5770 Crossfire up to 1680x1050. At 1920x1200, you're going to start hitting bandwidth limitations in some games, and it'll only get worse. At that point (1920x1200), I'd switch over to a 5850 or 5870 depending on your budget.
well considering that th 5850 has no negatives compared to the 4770 crossfire setup then I would personally not go with the 4770 crossfire setup at all. the games that the 4770 crossfire setup is faster in doenst justify it additional 60bucks, power consumption and potential crossfire issues. also in some games the crossfire 4770 actually performs worse at low res than it does at the high res so that theory doesnt really pan out.

Well the official specs for the 5770 are out.
800 sp
850mhz
128bit bus

A 5870 has
1600 sp
850mhz
256bit bus

Therefore due to development costs, cost of production for a dual GPU board, the resulting low profit margin, and overlapping with an existing product, the HD5770x2 will most certainly never be made.
Can we stop speculating on this mythical product and close this god forsaken thread?

I think these are going to sale out quick.

Well you and you henchmen have been very quiet. Hmmm funny what reality will do that to a fanboi's dreams. When is the 5770X2 hitting the stores? And how much are 4770's worth now?
Grin.

Agreed, unless the price of the ram used on these cards is to high making it a lose, lose situation for ATI I also expect to see something like a 5830 at the $200 price point and it will probably be the sweet spot for tipple monitor gaming on a budget. I just don't expect to see it before I settle on a card to purchase.

I expect the [H] 5770 review to show exactly where the castrated memory bus comes in to play if it does at all for gaming. I am trying to hold out for 2gig 5850 and 5870 cards but my list of games i want to play is starting to get a bit long. It's bad enough I had to go back to one of my old 1680 displays to get some decent old school gaming in the 8800GT card I am using at the moment.

If the [H] review shows the 5770 can handle gaming across 3x 1680 displays then I will grab one as soon as I am done reading the review. If not then I will try and hold off a bit longer in the hope we see a few more options added to the mix since I am not yet convinced the 5850 has the long term value I am looking for in a product at the 5850 price point.

Looks like the 5770 will handle Eyefinity fine. Not on 3x30" granted, but more like 3x22 to 3x24.
1255370233EukOTJwLkM_1_9_l.gif

Quiet???:rolleyes:
Was just sleeping here in Europe...:D
Reality, Yes I have most recent ATI card in hand : HD4830/4850/4890... & those 128 bits bus limited bandwith cards & I don't know why i should complain of the hd5770 which performs like a charm for the max resolution used by my EIZO LCD 20" (1680x1050) :
I prefer a top quality 20" to a wider LCD....
Bottleneck???? Don't think so and this is confirm (but i knew it!) by the excellent test of Brent on [H] :D

And talking about dream? No I'm not dreaming, i already have the card & the other ATI card in stock!!!

Reality, Yes I have most recent ATI card in hand : HD4830/4850/4890... & those 128 bits bus limited bandwith cards & I don't know why i should complain of the hd5770 which performs like a charm for the max resolution used by my EIZO LCD 20" (1680x1050) :
Bottleneck???? Don't think so and this is confirm (but i knew it!) by the excellent test of Brent on [H] :D

And talking about dream? No I'm not dreaming, i already have the card & the other ATI card in stock!!!
perhaps you should pay more attention to the ALL reviews because they indicate that the 5770 IS bottlenecked by the memory. even the 4870 with its slower clocks still ends up faster overall. gee the only spec the 4870 has over the 5770 is more bandwidth so there you go. the 4770 cant even touch the 4890 yet besides the bandwidth the clocks and specs are the same. gee another huge bit of proof that the 5770 is bottlenecked by the memory. you and the OP live in some kind of fantasy land I guess. yes the 5770 is a decent card and I would certainly pick it over the 4870 but dont ignore the obvious truth about its bandwidth limitations.

Good morning. :cool:

If you get a chance today find out how to use the latest Asus voltage tweak on the HD5770 for greater over clocks.

The HD5770 is looking like a great card for over clocking.

Good morning. :cool:

If you get a chance today find out how to use the latest Asus voltage tweak on the HD5770 for greater over clocks.

The HD5770 is looking like a great card for over clocking.
even overclocked to 1013 core 5640 memory it still cant touch a much slower clocked 4890. you and your little partner need to realize that the 5770 is noticeably bandwidth limited.

Has ATi scrapped the 4770X2? How is that 5770X2 coming along Sonda5?
I believe he is currently steering all conversation off topic in this thread (since its a speculation thread about the 5770x2) to just the single gpu 5770 as part of damage control. He has yet to comment on the 5770x2 because the now confirmed specs of a single 5770 make the prospect of a dual gpu 5770x2 absolutely pointless.;)

perhaps you should pay more attention to the ALL reviews because they indicate that the 5770 IS bottlenecked by the memory. even the 4870 with its slower clocks still ends up faster overall. gee the only spec the 4870 has over the 5770 is more bandwidth so there you go. the 4770 cant even touch the 4890 yet besides the bandwidth the clocks and specs are the same. gee another huge bit of proof that the 5770 is bottlenecked by the memory. you and the OP live in some kind of fantasy land I guess. yes the 5770 is a decent card and I would certainly pick it over the 4870 but dont ignore the obvious truth about its bandwidth limitations.

READ correctly, I'm using high end 20" EIZO LCD: no bottleneck at this resolution...
I never ignore that the 128bit bus is a limiting factor for higher rez...Don't make me say what i did not! ;)

READ correctly, I'm using high end 20" EIZO LCD: no bottleneck at this resolution...
I never ignore that the 128bit bus is a limiting factor for higher rez...Don't make me say what i did not! ;)
look at reviews the bandwidth limitation is there at EVERY resolution including yours.

for the other similar posts:

20" EIZO LCD so 1680x1050 RIGHT???

limited by what , i also have a powerfull hd4890 but too power hungry & useless for my 20" by now...
12641.jpg

Last edited:
even overclocked to 1013 core 5640 memory it still cant touch a much slower clocked 4890. you and your little partner need to realize that the 5770 is noticeably bandwidth limited.

I know the horse power of my hd4890 (Apparently you did not see my hd4890@1000/1200??? :rolleyes:) but the hd5770 w/voltage tweak mod is quite sufficient for my EIZO 20"...

LOLOL

And Sonda5 said the 5770 would be as fast as a 4890.

But I do have to say the 5750 is very impressive for the price. If you ask me i think thats the winner > 5770

No offense man but that chart does not support your conclusion that the 5770 is noticeably bandwidth limited.

If you look at it again you will see that they have that Asus 5770 running 2 different core speeds while keeping the memory overclock the same. If the card were really limited by it's memory bandwidth in that situation I don't see how you can explain why the one with the higher core clock performs better.

No offense man but that chart does not support your conclusion that the 5770 is noticeably bandwidth limited.

If you look at it again you will see that they have that Asus 5770 running 2 different core speeds while keeping the memory overclock the same. If the card were really limited by it's memory bandwidth in that situation I don't see how you can explain why the one with the higher core clock performs better.
bandwidth limited does not necessarily mean you have hit a brick wall. you can be limited in one area but still get some additional overall performance from increasing another. just like the 5770 with its faster clocks can almost keep up with the 4870 with slower clocks yet more bandwidth. its all about balance and the 4890 was pretty well balanced where the 5770 isnt as balanced because of having much less bandwidth. besides the memory bandwidth the 5770 and 4890 have the same number of sp,tmu,rop and matching speeds. in other words the ONLY thing holding the 5770 back from being as fast as the 4890 is its limited memory bandwidth. every game is different but that huge difference in bandwidth on a card of this caliber will hold it back noticeably. again overclocking the core and shaders can help even if its bandwidth limited but it just wont scale as well or be as fast clock for clock.

Last edited:
The memory bandwidth difference = the drop in performance (for min frame rates).

look at reviews the bandwidth limitation is there at EVERY resolution including yours.

I'm not saying the 128-bit bus isn't part of the reason why performance is lower than expected, but take a look at the Warhead numbers here.

All the way up to 1920, it lags behind the GTX260. Then suddenly at 2560 it just edges it out. All the GT200 cards drop a place at this resolution, even the 285 (which indicates it isn't the lower memory capacity on the 260 causing the hit).

EDIT: Also look at some of the CF scaling at 2560. Under no circumstances should HD5770CF be outpacing HD5870, yet it does so. Looks like they have some work to do on their drivers to me.

Last edited:
Hey SonDa, just for you since I know you'll Xfire these cards.

Enjoy:
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3658&p=1

Sonda5 In Emperor Palpatine's voice. "Now you will witness the power of this fully operational Battle... Erm... 5770 x2 Crossfire."

It surprised me, I was thinking that even a single 5850 would thrash the 5770s in crossfire. Perhaps the games they were using didn't reflect the bandwidth advantage/disadvantage yet.

:D

Sonda5 In Emperor Palpatine's voice. "Now you will witness the power of this fully operational Battle... Erm... 5770 x2 Crossfire."

It surprised me, I was thinking that even a single 5850 would thrash the 5770s in crossfire. Perhaps the games they were using didn't reflect the bandwidth advantage/disadvantage yet.

If a single 5770 is slightly lower than a single 4870, then it's reasonable to think that CF 5770 can perform reasonably close to a single 5870 since the 4870x2 is close to the 5870.

I'm surprised he hasn't quadfired his 4770's :rolleyes: But then again, he has massive aftermarket coolers for them.

I had a very bad 6800GT SLI experience, so I'm staying well clear of dual card solutions. I know CF/SLI have come a long way since then, but it just brings bad memories.

If a single 5770 is slightly lower than a single 4870, then it's reasonable to think that CF 5770 can perform reasonably close to a single 5870 since the 4870x2 is close to the 5870.

I'm surprised he hasn't quadfired his 4770's :rolleyes: But then again, he has massive aftermarket coolers for them.

I had a very bad 6800GT SLI experience, so I'm staying well clear of dual card solutions. I know CF/SLI have come a long way since then, but it just brings bad memories.

Yeah dude the last time I had something SLI it was the original SLI from 3dfx. The voodoo2 baby! hahaha... Those things were expensive, and I still have them laying around somewhere. Today it's Crysis, but back then it was Unreal!

I got the 5850, and would have done the 5870 if I could but card length is a biatch. I may X-fire the 5850, but holding off because I may be happy with a single card. (don't want to start another microstuttering argument.)

The problem with those charts is they really don't tell us anything of value. Since they do not represent real world gaming in any way.

If your getting 100FPS at the max resolution of your monitor your not going to just be running 4xaa and those charts don't tell us what happens once the AA is cranked up.

I mean wow the 5770 in crossfire beats the 5850 at settings no one is going to play at. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back