Half Life 2.3 Confirmed

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Is it sacrilege to be putting together a Half Life 2 Episode 3 game on the Unreal Engine? Probably. We it will probably look a hell of a lot better too. Project Borealis tells us this very limited look at its upcoming continuation is just a peek to let you know they are the real deal. Hmmm.

Check out the video.

As usual, we’re excited to share some of that progress with you here today. Please keep in mind that in an effort not to spoil the tech demo or the final game, we are only opting to show you non-spoiler content at this time, and the content shown here is just a small portion of the overall progress we’ve made.

One thing I don't see on their site. Do they have permission from Valve for this or will this be another project that gets shut down after a few years?

I have a feeling it depends upon the quality. Let's face it. Most fan remakes and homages are awful, and that's being as nice about it as I can be. If, however, you can put together an actual good game (which is extremely rare), the benefits outweigh any lost cost (good will, free advertising, etc.)

Not to sound like a nay sayer, but what's the point of this? It doesn't look that much better and IMHO, won't really help improve a classic game (original still looks quite good given its age). Given the size of HL2, the project will also likely never be finished. Honestly I would have much rather they created a continuation of the game instead. Who knows, maybe Valve would have picked up and funded the team then.
I can't quite tell from your post, but you are making it sound like valve made halflife2 episode 3 and this team is just remaking it. Just want to be sure we're on the same page, Valve never made episode 3.

I am confused. They are doing something with Unreal engine or what?

One thing I don't see on their site. Do they have permission from Valve for this or will this be another project that gets shut down after a few years?
Usually it's very easy to get permission as long it's a source mod/game/movies, but who knows now that they are using unreal 4. Pressure should be put on valve for flopping on delivering source 2, now modders are resorting to using better engines for their fan projects.

Not to sound like a nay sayer, but what's the point of this? It doesn't look that much better and IMHO, won't really help improve a classic game (original still looks quite good given its age)

I imagine when it comes development alone working with the unreal 4 engine is probably much less tedious then dealing with the decade old source engine and editor. I'm honestly tired of seeing the same old assets a thousand times as well.

Usually it's very easy to get permission as long it's a source mod/game/movies, but who knows now that they are using unreal 4. Pressure should be put on valve for flopping on delivering source 2, now modders are resorting to using better engines for their fan projects.

I imagine when it comes development alone working with the unreal 4 engine is probably much less tedious then dealing with the decade old source engine and editor. I'm honestly tired of seeing the same old assets a thousand times as well.

I wounder what happened with Source 2? I recall Valve making a big deal about it and how it would be 100% free. UE4 has a pretty good offering going for it all things considered, but an entirely free game engine would also be great. One backed by Valve could be impressive but at the same time Epic is probably much better with updating and supporting engines long term. I suppose Valve released how difficult it would be and that they couldn't dedicate so much work to up keeping a free game engine.

As much as I like Half Life, you'd think a 60 person team could make something a lot better. I played HL2 so much but it certainly can feel a bit dated these days. If these guys could create their own IP and create an experience similar to HL, meaning a single player only first person shooter with some decent lore and no unlocking/grinding stuff I'd happily play it. Very few campaign driven FPS games that are about good shooting mechanics and story and not finding sticks and leveling up powers in increments of 3%.

I wounder what happened with Source 2? I recall Valve making a big deal about it and how it would be 100% free. UE4 has a pretty good offering going for it all things considered, but an entirely free game engine would also be great. One backed by Valve could be impressive but at the same time Epic is probably much better with updating and supporting engines long term. I suppose Valve released how difficult it would be and that they couldn't dedicate so much work to up keeping a free game engine.

As much as I like Half Life, you'd think a 60 person team could make something a lot better. I played HL2 so much but it certainly can feel a bit dated these days. If these guys could create their own IP and create an experience similar to HL, meaning a single player only first person shooter with some decent lore and no unlocking/grinding stuff I'd happily play it. Very few campaign driven FPS games that are about good shooting mechanics and story and not finding sticks and leveling up powers in increments of 3%.
Basically every campaign based fps ever made (back to wolfenstien) had an aspect of unlocking - they start you out with the weakest gear and progress you thru the game giving bigger and better. It's just become more sophisticated.

Not to sound like a nay sayer, but what's the point of this? It doesn't look that much better and IMHO, won't really help improve a classic game (original still looks quite good given its age). Given the size of HL2, the project will also likely never be finished. Honestly I would have much rather they created a continuation of the game instead. Who knows, maybe Valve would have picked up and funded the team then.
They are creating a fan made "Episode 3" based off the Marc Laidlaw draft that was released a while ago. This isn't a remake of HL2

Black Mesa is still around...

And they had permission. I am referring to all the games that did vanish such as the Metroid game, and various other games that we hear about for a year then they get a cease and desist.

As others have already pointed out, they aren't remaking anything. They are making episode 3 based on the supposed planned story line that was released a few months back.

Why are they so concerned about spoilers when the Laidlaw plot is out there for anyone to read?

Reactions: DF-1
like this
And they had permission. I am referring to all the games that did vanish such as the Metroid game, and various other games that we hear about for a year then they get a cease and desist.

As others have already pointed out, they aren't remaking anything. They are making episode 3 based on the supposed planned story line that was released a few months back.

If they are making Ep3 then yeah, I saw remake of HL2 in their videos (train station, warehouse, etc) and was under impression they were just doing an HD overhaul with UE4. If they are planning to make a continuation of the game then I'm all for it since we will probably not live to see one from Valve.

Why are they so concerned about spoilers when the Laidlaw plot is out there for anyone to read?

From their page they aren't following it 100%. They stated how it left room for parts to be added to or removed so they appear to be using it as a base to get to where the story was supposed to get to, but maybe not taking the same path as the "original" plot did to get there.

I love Half Life enough to already say:

5a607003da920.jpg

I don't care who's doing this , if they release an Episode I'm in.............take my money.

It commendable that these guys are doing the Episode using their own money, not asking for anything.....hell I'd donate.
That preview looked pretty good, actually.

Back