Google Now Owns HTC's Pixel Team

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Done deal for $1.1B. Good deal. Maybe I can upgrade my old phone, the camera is so bulky.

Rick Osterloh - Senior Vice President, Hardware: As our hardware business enters its third year, we remain committed to building and investing for the long run. Today, we start digging in with our new teammates, guided by the mission to create radically helpful experiences for people around the world, by combining the best of Google’s AI, software and hardware.

Last edited:
wow only 1.1B (seems low) but makes sense. Their phones have been HTC for a while. Maybe it is to compete with Apple's Foxconn partnerships but also reduce the amount of variety in the market space. It was dumb for HTC (and for google) to have 10 flavors annually of HTC phones and 2+ flavors of pixel... it is a super confusing market segment. Android is a PITA due the 500+ different phones with aging software.

They bought the team that built the Pixel phones, not the whole company. HTC will live on (for a few years at least until it burns through that cash infusion).

My only concern for HTC is what does it mean for the Vive brand.

Meh about the rest of the company.

They bought the team that built the Pixel phones, not the whole company. HTC will live on (for a few years at least until it burns through that cash infusion).
Fixed.

they spun that out to another company, would have been more interesting if google now owned vive tbh..

I feel like it would be the opposite, like what happened to the Rift once Facebook bought Oculus. The focus shifted away from high end VR to a watered down low end mass adoptable solution. I feel like the VR Google wants and needs is the Cardboard/Daydream style of lowest common denominator application, and that would hurt the Vive more than it would help it, IMHO.

I am in favor of this. As the owner of a Huawei Nexus 6p on Google Fi that has battery issues....the finger pointing between google and Huawei saying its a software issue...no its a hardware issue and nobody doing anything is a pain in the butt. With both the software and hardware on the Pixels being Google going forward this should be much less of an issue and it won't matter if the problem is a hardware problem or a software problem, it will still be a Google problem they need to resolve and they can point the fingers internally and fight about whose fault it is, but it will be much more likely to get resolved as it will all be one company.

I am in favor of this. As the owner of a Huawei Nexus 6p on Google Fi that has battery issues....the finger pointing between google and Huawei saying its a software issue...no its a hardware issue and nobody doing anything is a pain in the butt. With both the software and hardware on the Pixels being Google going forward this should be much less of an issue and it won't matter if the problem is a hardware problem or a software problem, it will still be a Google problem they need to resolve and they can point the fingers internally and fight about whose fault it is, but it will be much more likely to get resolved as it will all be one company.
My man, open a chat with support in the Fi app and say your phone shuts off at 78% battery, and blah blah you've reset the phone and tried all the suggested fixes. They'll send you a new Pixel free. At least they used to unless the policy changed.

Got mine & the gf's 6p upgraded to Pixels last September.

We're staying Google phones for
life after they stepped up like that.

Last edited:
I hope HTC survives. I liked my HTC Windows Phone - the Palm Treo was a piece of garbage compared to it (I broke my HTC, the carrier didn't have any in stock and a new model was on the way so it was going to be a month or more so I took the "upgrade" to the Treo - big mistake!).

Back