Get a GTX 1070 for $200 with HTC Vive Purchase

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
While I will certainly tell you that the GTX 1070 is not at the top of the list for VR performance, I do have to say that it is HardOCP's pick for the least expensive GPU we would suggest for high end VR interactive gaming experiences with hardware for HTC and Oculus. And it seems today you can get a GTX 1070 for an additional $200 if you buy the full HTC Vive kit for $599. That is a pretty sweet deal. One of the least expensive 1070 cards you can buy today is going for $415. In order to see this deal, you have to have both of these items in your cart. Thanks cageymaru.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That's nice I guess.

With a ~13% reprojection rate on the leader board - however - I'd probably want something faster for VR.

That's nice I guess.

With a ~13% reprojection rate on the leader board - however - I'd probably want something faster for VR.
Keep in mind in most of those games that we have tested, you can drop down the IQ so that you are not in reprojection at all. When you drop of to GTX 1060, perf goes way down. GTX 1070 is as low as I would go for VR on my personal system.

I don't own many VR games, and I use a 1070, but the only one I've had stutter issues with is Robo Recall. Even then, the only times it really happens is right at the beginning of a level and usually after an explosion (if it happens at all). Then it doesn't reoccur until the next level.

Other games I have like Project Cars 1 (medium settings), Redout, Rick and Morty, Rez Infinite, Lone Echo/Arena, ADR1FT, just to name a few, run perfectly fine to my eyes. If there is "Time Warping", or repojection, going on it isn't perceptible to me.

I'd say it's a solid VR card for sure.

I don't own many VR games, and I use a 1070, but the only one I've had stutter issues with is Robo Recall. Even then, the only times it really happens is right at the beginning of a level and usually after an explosion (if it happens at all). Then it doesn't reoccur until the next level.

Other games I have like Project Cars 1 (medium settings), Redout, Rick and Morty, Rez Infinite, Lone Echo/Arena, ADR1FT, just to name a few, run perfectly fine to my eyes. If there is "Time Warping", or repojection, going on it isn't perceptible to me.

I'd say it's a solid VR card for sure.
I would agree, GTX 1070 is solid for VR overall.

How is that Rick and Morty game? I started to pick it up on sale, then wussed out.

Its a shame that all these new VR technologies like simultaneous retroprojection, one pass stereo and others are nowhere to be seen.

I'd considering buying this and reselling the Vive just to get a 1070 at a decent price since I've been patiently waiting to upgrade. Problem is the Vive bundle prices seem to be anywhere from $550 to over $900 so I have no idea what it's actually worth.

I'd considering buying this and reselling the Vive just to get a 1070 at a decent price since I've been patiently waiting to upgrade. Problem is the Vive bundle prices seem to be anywhere from $550 to over $900 so I have no idea what it's actually worth.

When I saw this I thought the same thing. I just checked ebay and after fees and shipping it looks like you could get around $450. I guess a $350 1070 isn't bad but not worth it to have to deal with selling the Vive on ebay.

The irony here is you could probably buy a Rift and 1070 with no discount for about the same price.

The irony here is you could probably buy a Rift and 1070 with no discount for about the same price.

True, I'd be leaning toward getting the Rift these days if I had enough time to play games to justify the outlay - but generally speaking if I am going to hop onto the VR wagon I'm waiting for next-gen.

True, I'd be leaning toward getting the Rift these days if I had enough time to play games to justify the outlay - but generally speaking if I am going to hop onto the VR wagon I'm waiting for next-gen.
Next gen's practically here. I'm waiting for reviews on the Samsung Odyssey, has better display specs than both the Vive and Rift.

Being that we're in November I'd really wait to be buying this stuff. There is going to be way better deals coming. Also, at this stage in the game it's probably wiser to wait for the next release of VR sets imo..

Next gen's practically here. I'm waiting for reviews on the Samsung Odyssey, has better display specs than both the Vive and Rift.

True, and the Odyssey is very appealing - wonder what the title availability/compatibility is going to be like though?

When I saw this I thought the same thing. I just checked ebay and after fees and shipping it looks like you could get around $450. I guess a $350 1070 isn't bad but not worth it to have to deal with selling the Vive on ebay.
Less 13% ebay and PayPal fees. Yeah. Doesn’t seem worth the trouble unless you want the combo yourself.

You could mine with the 1070 and make a couple bucks a day. Use that to pay off the whole bundle in two years.

True, and the Odyssey is very appealing - wonder what the title availability/compatibility is going to be like though?
Oh I don't care as long as I have VorpX / Depth3D. I have that, I have hundreds of titles. Motion of the camera still makes me sick in VR, but having a giant game screen in 3D gives me most of the immersion without the sickness.

Less 13% ebay and PayPal fees. Yeah. Doesn’t seem worth the trouble unless you want the combo yourself.

You could mine with the 1070 and make a couple bucks a day. Use that to pay off the whole bundle in two years.
What's the coin to mine nowadays to make that profitable?

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-2_18-35-14.png
    upload_2017-11-2_18-35-14.png
    987.3 KB · Views: 17
Will the Odyssey run windows games?.. all i can find is Win MR articles.

Will the Odyssey run windows games?.. all i can find is Win MR articles.
My understanding is it will run anything via SteamVR, but this impressively under-marketed so far for what's supposedly the best VR display coming to market. I've had trouble finding reviews on it also.

Back