Gearing Up for Threadripper 2990X Cooling

I think the performance is pretty good for 1950X. What is it barely ok in? For video there are applications that don't use all of its threads and on the gaming side even less of those threads are used.

I was having very lackluster gaming performance even managing my threads properly. I was getting jerky stuttering low frame rates. Which I attribute to the processor, however, that is debateable and I am not standing behind that claim fully as I no longer have the chip to revisit the idea. I am beginning to believe it was faulty or shitty version of nV drivers on my system. I had dual 1080ti and at the time didn't realize that it may have been causing me issues. I want to try this new processor when it comes out and give it another chance. I love big ass processors.

However, as you mention, not all games use the threads nor applications. True! But the threads that were used were not as fast as Intel threads. The IPC was lacking. For instance, these are close but not exact and from memory. Overclocked I was getting around a 150'ish single core performance in cinebench on the AMD and on my 7820x at a modest overclock I was getting around 195 single core. The way I run my 7820x now @ 4.7 ghz all core I am getting about 201 single threaded on a good day. That is steallar for gaming performance and the only thing that can best that is a Coffee Lake core at high frequency.

Multithreaded the AMD was much higher in score for obvious reasons. However, 8 intel v 8 amd cores and the Intel was faster.

I understand with Zen+ cores they are much more improved in IPC. I am hoping that with TR2 there is even more improvement on top of what was already done with the 2700x for example.

Last edited:
250W is a lot to cool. I wonder if anyone is going to bother making a passive heatsink. I can imagine it would be massive. Maybe ThermalRight will redesign the true-copper 120 :D

I was having very lackluster gaming performance even managing my threads properly. I was getting jerky stuttering low frame rates. Which I attribute to the processor, however, that is debateable and I am not standing behind that claim fully as I no longer have the chip to revisit the idea. I am beginning to believe it was faulty or shitty version of nV drivers on my system. I had dual 1080ti and at the time didn't realize that it may have been causing me issues. I want to try this new processor when it comes out and give it another chance. I love big ass processors.

However, as you mention, not all games use the threads nor applications. True! But the threads that were used were not as fast as Intel threads. The IPC was lacking. For instance, these are close but not exact and from memory. Overclocked I was getting around a 150'ish single core performance in cinebench on the AMD and on my 7820x at a modest overclock I was getting around 195 single core. The way I run my 7820x now @ 4.7 ghz all core I am getting about 201 single threaded on a good day. That is steallar for gaming performance and the only thing that can best that is a Coffee Lake core at high frequency.

Multithreaded the AMD was much higher in score for obvious reasons. However, 8 intel v 8 amd cores and the Intel was faster.

I understand with Zen+ cores they are much more improved in IPC. I am hoping that with TR2 there is even more improvement on top of what was already done with the 2700x for example.
Zen+/2 cores have barely any IPC difference. The efficiency largely comes from ram speed/IMC optimisation, precision boost 2 and slightly higher clocks.
If I were you I'd wait for Zen2 it'll be a bigger jump for you.

I expect that the 32-core TR 2990X will be priced competitively with the i9 7980XE which AMD compared it against during Computex presentation.

It's four dies. TR1 had four dies (two dummies), TR2 will have four dies (no dummies).
Interesting. So do you expect a 16-core TR 2950X with 4+4+4+4 cores instead of the 8+0+8+0 TR 1950X? That would allow for a huge L3 cache at the expense of memory access latency.

chithanh don't really know what to expect, honestly, but I'm guessing it'll be 4+4+4+4 (although 8+0+8+0 is almost as likely).

How odd, I get that same feeling looking at water cooler blocks that I do flipping through a catalog of performance car parts....

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I hope these existing solutions can tame the purportedly 250W TDP.

I'm not one to go the WC route, but I don't think there is any viable alternative that would be cheaper.

Zen+/2 cores have barely any IPC difference. The efficiency largely comes from ram speed/IMC optimisation, precision boost 2 and slightly higher clocks.
If I were you I'd wait for Zen2 it'll be a bigger jump for you.
Well see when its reviewed

Back