Gamers Nexus vs LinusTechTips: Smackdown

jjbiot.jpg

Former employee speaks out on the twitters:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1691693740254228741.html

I'm skeptical on some of the alleged office drama but the contract stuff if true, doesn't speak well for LTT.
Attention whore attempts to insert herself into the centre of the drama, many such cases. She starts more than 50 of the sentences with the word 'I'.

It's hard not to appreciate all the extra fuel being dumped onto the bonfire, but this is one of those things that detracts from the real issues, and all the simping and white knightery that will inevitably result will be insufferable.
Still, man the bellows I guess.

Holt shit T.JPG

Last edited:
Not the only possible reason, would have wanted for example to be clearer that the selling auction was a charity one from a miscommunication that they agreed with step to reimburse the custom prototyping (which GN would have been free to include or not, with the response from the startup to let the audience judge by themselve).
LMG only responded to billet after the GN video went public. But they pretend that was already a done deal. It only makes them look worse. It would all blow over if he only accepted responsibility, but he refuses to even admit any fault at all. This is a bud light level implosion event from Linus, and they deserve every bit of it.

Chris Titus with some concerns

"..and how do you justify positively reviewing products you're partial owner in? You know, I mean this very sincerely when I say that Linus should just do everyone a favor and go to sleep and never wake up."

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGu0_8whK54

Saying that LTT's problem is GN's video, is so wrong that it boils my mind. LTT's problem is clearly shoddy practices, non-existent QA, and refusing to accept any responsibility for it. Or even act apologetic. Linus saying that he doesn't want to spend an extra 200-500 on a video to make sure it is accurate, is a statement that frankly should make all viewers immediately stop consuming his content.

Also where are you quoting from? That line is not in this video from what I can see.

Never seen this channel pop up into my feed before. Pretty decent take to me on it. Maybe I missed something did Billetlabs contact GN first about the whole prototype being auctioned off issue or did GN take it upon themselves to do this and nuke LMG? A lot of this just feels so Self Serving for GN.
Remember GN's video would've never been made if LTT didn't attack them first in their lab tour video, calling their reviews bad for re-using data and not testing everything again. So was that not self serving by LTT in the first place? It is bad sportmanship to call out your competition instead of showing what you are good in.

Steve contacted Billetlabs after Linus said he auctioned off the block instead of selling it (I think).
Steve contacted Billet after Linus claimed that they already agreed to reimburse them. Which turns out was a lie. They only responded to the reimbursement request after GN's video was published. This for me shows the true colors of Linus, and there is no redemption arc from here.

Remember GN's video would've never been made if LTT didn't attack them first in their lab tour video, calling their reviews bad for re-using data and not testing everything again. So was that not self serving by LTT in the first place? It is bad sportmanship to call out your competition instead of showing what you are good in.
I don't follow LTT that closely and I don't follow GN basically at all so I didn't see that happen but that's a bad look again on LTT then. Guess GN took it really hard and they spent months trying to get back at LTT. Either way, neither GN nor LTT came out of this well in my eyes.

They also develop and sell their own products; t-shirts, backpacks, screwdrivers, etc.
You mean, they put their brand on it. He used to work at NCIX and would review hardware etc. - and then branched off. He became more about money later on with promoting whatever (i.e. creating commercials) and having the same dorky type of videos. I've read that he's overly obsessed with money - and the 'boasting videos' which I've never watched seems to suggest that's probably accurate.

Much better reaction:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cTpTMl8kFY

Not entirely by accident, contains much less Linus ^_^

I'm honestly impressed that they're going to put videos on hold for a week. Okay second attempt at a restart after that false one.

Edit: naturally, the worst part is Linus finding excuses for that watercooler situation.

Edit2: on second thought, their insistence on agreeing with "rightful" criticism ("only" being strongly implied by intonaiton) is extremely grating. At least as bad as Linus' part.

Last edited:
Saying that LTT's problem is GN's video, is so wrong that it boils my mind. LTT's problem is clearly shoddy practices, non-existent QA, and refusing to accept any responsibility for it. Or even act apologetic. Linus saying that he doesn't want to spend an extra 200-500 on a video to make sure it is accurate, is a statement that frankly should make all viewers immediately stop consuming his content.

Also where are you quoting from? That line is not in this video from what I can see.
I watched the video and how he put emphasis on the "$500 dollars," as if it's some large chunk of money was cringe worthy. I guess if you're the average LTT viewer, there's a solid chance that $500 is a lot, so, I guess to them that would make it okay... I guess? Me personally I think $500 to QA a video that's probably going to make you $10's of thousands of dollars is chump change, especially when it's your main source of revenue.

I've barely started warming up to Gamers Nexus, but I think a lot of my gripes with Steve and GN is how freaking long their videos are, and how in-depth they go when I'm just looking for a simple answer to a question--no, I don't need to know what color the screws are in that case, or exactly how much contact is being made between the thermal plate and the backside of a GPU, just get to the performance and thermals and then talk about the rest! There's a time and place where I could sit down and consume an entire video, but sometimes... it's just too much fluff to take in.

I watched the video and how he put emphasis on the "$500 dollars," as if it's some large chunk of money was cringe worthy. I guess if you're the average LTT viewer, there's a solid chance that $500 is a lot, so, I guess to them that would make it okay... I guess? Me personally I think $500 to QA a video that's probably going to make you $10's of thousands of dollars is chump change, especially when it's your main source of revenue.

I've barely started warming up to Gamers Nexus, but I think a lot of my gripes with Steve and GN is how freaking long their videos are, and how in-depth they go when I'm just looking for a simple answer to a question--no, I don't need to know what color the screws are in that case, or exactly how much contact is being made between the thermal plate and the backside of a GPU, just get to the performance and thermals and then talk about the rest! There's a time and place where I could sit down and consume an entire video, but sometimes... it's just too much fluff to take in.
The trick is to use youtube's chapters feature to skip to the parts that look interesting ^_^

Much better reaction:

I'm honestly impressed that they're going to put videos on hold for a week. Okay second attempt at a restart after that false one.

This is really hard to watch.
Their pacing and pronunciation is weird and I can barely understand what they're saying. It's like they're aliens in human suits.

Probably just bad teleprompter reading.

I watched the video and how he put emphasis on the "$500 dollars," as if it's some large chunk of money was cringe worthy. I guess if you're the average LTT viewer, there's a solid chance that $500 is a lot, so, I guess to them that would make it okay... I guess?
The fact he begins at $100 is even more baffling, moreover since they're Canadian bucks :p

Much better reaction:

I'm honestly impressed that they're going to put videos on hold for a week. Okay second attempt after that false one.

As I said earlier in the thread: Linus takes criticism extremely personally at first and tends to lash out. The team is saying a lot of the right words in the video (though, Linus still tries to deflect some blame) and I hope this leads to improvements going forward, but they have a lot of work to do to prove that anything will change.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Much better reaction:

Edit: naturally, the worst part is Linus finding excuses for that watercooler situation.

This just comes off as concerned corporate types trying to shut the stable door after the horse has bolted, and scared employees realising that they fucked up. Their problem is they have blown any credibility they may have had into oblivion, integrity is gone, not that they ever had much, but now the spotlight is on those things.

Leopards do not change their spots, they are a money grubbing outfit with no moral compass who are now going to try and LARP as ethical players.

It's good to see a more professional response, but for me it's too little too late and didn't even mention things like ethics or conflicts of interest, which is the cancer at the heart of LMG.

Also Linus disingenuous whining.

They showed the Billet prototype price estimate in the video even though Billet asked not to publicly disclose it.
The multiple LTTstore/merch jokes were in really bad taste. I got 2 ads at the start which I assume means the video is monetized, too.

Also, was that a "69" joke? Yikes. The whole video is a mess.

Last edited:
It's amazing to me that this took so long to happen.

LTT actually started the drama side of this, probably being used to rivals rolling over, legacy clout and a toxic fanbase encouraged most rivals to keep their guns holstered, that and them being largely guilty of much of the same shit.
GN however simply doesn't give a fuck and has nothing to hide themselves, having built a reputation for impeccable integrity over many years.

LTT fucked around and found out.

>Edit - Thanks and appreciation have to go to GN here, showing true dedication in terms of putting the interests of the consumer first and calling out malpractice in the tech industry.

It took balls to square up to Linus and his army of trolls, this could have gone differently, it's great to see that the internet got it and had GN's back, getting behind the facts and forcing the truth to overwhelm the tsunami of hostility and cope that spewed forth from the LMG machine.

Linus status: Buck broke

Last edited:
Eh if they could just shut Linus up that response would have been perfect sans the crude jokes and it being monetized. It appears the staff wanted these changes ages ago, maybe they will get them. If Linus were to just stop injecting himself or reacting to everything and just be a content creator and personality most of the issues would probably subside. He is over stressed and probably over worked along with everyone else. He was never a CEO type dude, he just needs to chill out, enjoy his money and enjoy his job being the face of the company at this point.

EDIT: and to add here, what he accomplished should be praised. He "did it" so to speak. If making videos and playing with tech is what he loves to do, then just enjoy it. He has no monetary worries anymore and can live a fun life. Let other people do the tedious work.

Reactions: emphy
like this
Lol, y'all would be shitting on him if he liquidated everything and paid off all employees equally or donated it. Doesn't matter what he does.

Linus always came off as an immature child, and not a professional, but of a grifter. And wouldn't be surprised of the workplace horror stories people are posting now.

And why did he grow the site and channel into such a giant thing? Was that really needed or even wanted? I guess they create a shit ton of content, but to me I never watched any of it, except reviews on stuff like gaming monitors or video cards or smartphones, and that's it. I never understood why people like Linus start off small of course, get a bit bigger, but then become almost a small TV Studio, like why go that far that big? Who asked for that? Just keep it small and simple.

Last edited:

As funny as that is, I doubt this is going to happen, ever. To my knowledge they are pretty good friends. And Jay is just a silly doofus (and a very funny one, IMHO, his podcasts are a blast) with a heavy case of ADHD so a constant flow of mistakes is given. This situation with Linus is much bigger than Jays typical brainfarts.

Reminds me of when Kyle called out Jays2Cents, basically told the guy how can we trust anything you say when you don't know how to install Windows correctly. Linus is the same way... Dude poorly handles expensive tech like a rich kid handles daddies' money. Then grifts whatever brand he needs to so that he can get free stuff for his house, or building, or whatever other personal thing doesn't want to pay for. The double dip between owning a stake in a laptop company and the video he did for that was cringe at best. Their testing methodology is never super clear or defined, and if it is they never seem to follow it so they can push out a video quicker. I haven't always supported Steve either because sometimes he can come off a bit pompous but I appreciate him using his platform to call people out.

Last edited:
Kyle gave zero eff's about calling out people or companies from a purely journalistic standpoint. And so does Steve. Which is why I like(d) their content over others.

J2C is great for water cooling content / how-to's and design ideas. Since he gravitates more towards the custom side of things. So, he's a good resource for that. His reviews on CPU/GPU are kinda meh. But, at least he's starting to take a hard stance against industry b.s. as well. I can understand not wanting to when you are growing, but he's now at the point with a big enough audience where he can.

Linus is just a chode. Reminds me of the kid in school that always thought they were better because they had money. And then when you beat them at a BMX race they still think they're better because their bike is more expensive.

Former employee speaks out on the twitters:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1691693740254228741.html

I'm skeptical on some of the alleged office drama but the contract stuff if true, doesn't speak well for LTT.
I'm skeptical on the whole thing. She made a LONG list of very different kinds of workplace issues, including some "go to" stories for people trying to get attention for ulterior motives. Would be hard to believe that ALL of that hasn't come out before. But maybe LTT was just lucky. However her whole story comes apart when she says she cut her leg open to go to the ER so that she would have an excuse to take time off. If that's true, that is a sign of mental illness in direct relation to this situation she was supposedly in, which calls into question the legitimacy of all her other complaints. Any somewhat rational person would have pursued one of multiple other paths, including possibly quitting or contacting a lawyer. Especially in Canada where labor rights are at least a little stronger than the US.

Don't ever forget how LTT became "POPULAR."

I remember before I would ever watch LTT, that I would see their video thumbnails CONSTANTLY on nearly every video I would watch on Youtube, no matter if it was tech related or not.
LTT was forcing themselves into everyone's view, probably with some Youtube corpo corruption, or just raw money-for-views, and his rise to fame was never organic. Never forget all those stupid, clickbaity thumbnails. He knew what he was doing, and at no point did he ever stop. He wanted fame and money and anyone who dares speak of him now only encourages it.

He really clawed his way to the top using whatever means existed. That is the nature of how to survive, thrive, and engage in evolution.

There are no limits, and every ethic is subjective, and therefore absolutely false. He did what he did, and the results are what they are. He is rich and famous and powerful, and the rest of us are his prey.

The fact that this topic, a topic on mere HUMANS, has become seven pages, as if drama about journalists was the same as "Cool Technology Discussion," is of course a blight that I notice, but everyone else seems to have forgotten that "All Publicity is Good Publicity."

Honestly Steve really swung his dick around on this one. He isn't afraid to stir the pot. Hope this and the rest of his work propel him and his career into something a little more high profile.

Don't ever forget how LTT became "POPULAR."

I remember before I would ever watch LTT, that I would see their video thumbnails CONSTANTLY on nearly every video I would watch on Youtube, no matter if it was tech related or not.
LTT was forcing themselves into everyone's view, probably with some Youtube corpo corruption, or just raw money-for-views, and his rise to fame was never organic. Never forget all those stupid, clickbaity thumbnails. He knew what he was doing, and at no point did he ever stop. He wanted fame and money and anyone who dares speak of him now only encourages it.

He really clawed his way to the top using whatever means existed. That is the nature of how to survive, thrive, and engage in evolution.

There are no limits, and every ethic is subjective, and therefore absolutely false. He did what he did, and the results are what they are. He is rich and famous and powerful, and the rest of us are his prey.

The fact that this topic, a topic on mere HUMANS, has become seven pages, as if drama about journalists was the same as "Cool Technology Discussion," is of course a blight that I notice, but everyone else seems to have forgotten that "All Publicity is Good Publicity."

That sums it up. I've been watching YouTube tech videos since Google launched YT 15 or so years ago, and Linus always came off as a slimy, used car salesman, a grfiter with no morals. I don't care how rich and "powerful" he became, that means absolutely nothing to me. He's just a chode.

It’s kind of interesting in bits and pieces but every time he does one of those videos I have a feeling he’s trying to write off his house off as a business expense.

Whether I like Linus or not - when it comes to stuff like this - don't hate the playa, hate the game - he'd or anyone would be dumb if they could and didn't try - besides, it's not my tax dollars

Whether I like Linus or not - when it comes to stuff like this - don't hate the playa, hate the game - he'd be dumb if he could and didn't try - besides, it's not my tax dollars
I hate both tbh lmao.

I can't argue his popularity or success. My only argument is that it has he has no personal value to myself. Honestly had a hard time telling his thumbnails apart from pewdiepie

too many people have short attention spans and only skip to the Conclusions part of a written or YouTube review...so in the end I think video reviews are better in that it probably keeps the ADD tech crowd a bit more engaged
Being able to skim and get to relevant points is one of the great benefits of text.

After watching that I immediately side with Linus.

Look at her Twitter. She is a mental health case. Also hates people of opposing political views as well, another red flag, everyone should get along regardless of political affiliation. Not defending Linus but she is certainly NOT a good example of this whole debacle. She's the "time blindness" type of employee.

Yeah, people that publish their opinions without running them through the front of their brains dominate social media.
Exactly this. This is the reason I dont have facebook, Twitter (whatever the fuck it is today) or any social media accounts. Too many fucking idiots on the internet.

What really cemented my decision as being good.....When fucking kids were eating Tide Pods......like really? People are really that fucking stupid. Same reason they had to put the warning label on a lawn mower to not lift it up to look underneath while the motor is running.....Common sense people.

Reactions: File
like this
Back