Free Google Netbook! (cr-48)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only signed up once back when they first started taking applications for testing. Also signed up as an individual. It's a nice little unit. Couple things are taking a little adjusting to (hands grazing the wide trackpad for instance) but overall it's pretty nice. Heavy usage (streaming videos, playing flash games, listening to music, multitasking in general) for about 3.25 hours last night still left me with 47% battery, down from 97%.

That gives me hope :] Is flash still really slow or did they fix that?

It definitely has room for improvement. I streamed a few episodes of weeds last night. Had a couple of hiccups in about a 50 minute period, but overall it wasn't bad. I think Youtube HD is automatically blocked, I've yet to see an option for anything more than 480p. I tried a couple of games (like Canabalt) but they suffered pretty bad slow downs and weren't really fun to play like that. Aside from flash performance though, it still responds fairly well. I usually have at least 5 tabs open (meebo and stereomood are always open) and it's still pretty snappy considering the 1.6ghz single core. With a few tweaks, this notebook could really shine.

My brother got one on the 20th of Dec, I received mine two days ago. Now they are apparently packaging them with big stickers so you can customize them. I like it! I do have to say the performance could be increased, although it's very fun for web browsing in bed and not having to run my gaming pc to do simple things like writing a paper for school.

I hope I get one. A laptop for school would be really nice considering I'm having to sell mine :(.

I find it really disturbing people are selling these on ebay and craigslist. They got them for free under the terms they would help do some R&D. Personally I think it is ethically wrong when there are people who would actually use these things and not take advantage of a good thing.

Funny, I feel the same way about the situation, and others:

As soon as the Verizon iPhone 4 went on sale the other night (just after midnight), some people pre-ordered them and immediately went to places like craiglist, eBay, and even here at the [H] in the FS/FT subforum and put them up for sale for a massive profit - and they don't even have the damned phones yet.

Bleh, guess I'm just weird, I find such practices pretty lame in general. I really do want one of these Google Cr-48 laptops, I really do, but as is so often the case in life, we don't always get what we want. I applied within an hour or so of when the offer was made public back in early December and I just didn't make the cut, I suppose.

But I've seen several of these appear on craigslist here in Vegas - there's two presently listed (one is duplicated, the person was asking $750 for his but is now asking $500.

I mean really... :(

Funny, I feel the same way about the situation, and others:

As soon as the Verizon iPhone 4 went on sale the other night (just after midnight), some people pre-ordered them and immediately went to places like craiglist, eBay, and even here at the [H] in the FS/FT subforum and put them up for sale for a massive profit - and they don't even have the damned phones yet.

Bleh, guess I'm just weird, I find such practices pretty lame in general. I really do want one of these Google Cr-48 laptops, I really do, but as is so often the case in life, we don't always get what we want. I applied within an hour or so of when the offer was made public back in early December and I just didn't make the cut, I suppose.

But I've seen several of these appear on craigslist here in Vegas - there's two presently listed (one is duplicated, the person was asking $750 for his but is now asking $500.

I mean really... :(

I can see people buying a phone or game system or whatever then because of supply/demand they turn around and sell for a profit because thats just playing the demand market to their advantage. BUT when you receive something for free that you have agreed to do testing for to help benefit the company and then you sell that item; thats pretty stupid. The company trusted you with a free item in hopes they could get feed back on how to make things better and by selling it you pretty much say F you to the company. I would love one of these laptops I would provide every bit of feed back because I got a free item from them to do so then be able to keep it after its over. I don't know its pretty stupid of people to sell something they got for free after they have agreed to help.

I've seen several of these listed on craigslist for $400-$600. It's annoying that people get these and try to make a quick buck instead of allowing someone (like me) to get one and actually use it.

my friend got one a couple of days ago, says he applied back when they announced it.. he says he listed as developer .

I signed up for one maybe about 2 months ago. Still haven't got one yet. Oh well

I applied back when they re-opened registration for the pilot program. Hope I get one, but I suspect I won't for another month (if I get lucky and get one).

I signed up when it opened and nothing. Then i saw a post about a new round opening up about 2 weeks ago. Yesterday wifes vday gift came and so did a cr-48 for my birthday! I havent messed with it much other then last night setting it up. Hopefully ill get some free time today.

how are they shipping them out now?
usps, fedex or ups?

i still have high hopes I may get one.

A few days into using mine...

Works as advertised except for the trackpad. I actually sent feedback to google thinking it was a problem with the detection on middle/right clicks, but a few hours afterwards I figured out the trick.

You have to completely remove your fingers and then go at it with the correct number to right/middle click.

So much better now.

I signed up ages ago and totally forgot about this. UPS just dropped one off. I'm excited!

I signed up a couple months ago but they never sent me any sort of confirmation email. I'm assuming they didn't select me for testing. :(

I signed up a couple months ago but they never sent me any sort of confirmation email. I'm assuming they didn't select me for testing. :(

I didn't get an e-mail of any sort. I signed up when this thread first appeared, and didn't hear a damn word about it until UPS showed up. I certainly wasn't expecting anything... it was a nice surprise.

Looks like everyone who signed up a while ago are the ones getting the netbooks. Damn I hope I get one eventhough I just signed up like 2-3 weeks ago it would be awesome to have for school.

ah well.. i signed up for this netbook when it first started.. then i did it again about few weeks ago.. still no laptop... :(

I just signed up thanks for this.. I have always wanted to try out a laptop but they run too slow and the HDD on them die too often (from what I've seen with my friends laptops) and netbooks are just too small for a giant like me. Passed the link on to my father too, here's hoping!

Wow this thing even includes free 24 months (100MB/month) of Verizon Wireless.

Mine came UPS ninjas.

I am jealous and envious too haha, but I'm also happy for everyone who got one. Yeah, as if it wasn't enough that Google is sending people free netbooks, but they also come with a free 2-year Verizon data plan. I don't mean to sound like a total fanboi, but can you think of any other company that would do this?

I am jealous and envious too haha, but I'm also happy for everyone who got one. Yeah, as if it wasn't enough that Google is sending people free netbooks, but they also come with a free 2-year Verizon data plan. I don't mean to sound like a total fanboi, but can you think of any other company that would do this?

I didn't even know this came with it! Awesome.

Yah, it has Verizon broadband access courtesy of the built-in Gobi 3G card, but it's only 100MB per month for free (I can use 100MB in an hour just doing basic web surfing so that's a wash). Enough to do the most basic email checking, I suppose (forget downloading attachments, however), and you do have to complete the signup with Verizon to get it functional.

But, it's a freebie so that's what counts... if you're one of the lucky ones that actually gets a Cr-48, that is... :p

I signed up in December and still haven't gotten one. I can't believe people are getting 2 into 1 household.

Hmm, does anyone know if the ups drop is a "over 21 signature required"? UPS tried to drop something off while I was at work yesterday, and the only things I have lined up for shipping are tomato seeds from amazon, microfiber car towels from meritline, and wine that shouldn't have shipped yet...

i just signed up again today because of my rage for people putting there's on ebay.. im tempted to buy one..

Hmm, does anyone know if the ups drop is a "over 21 signature required"? UPS tried to drop something off while I was at work yesterday, and the only things I have lined up for shipping are tomato seeds from amazon, microfiber car towels from meritline, and wine that shouldn't have shipped yet...

If it is "over 21", then I would guess it was your Wine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back