Free Google Netbook! (cr-48)

Status
Not open for further replies.
had one sent to my zip...I know it was for me. The tracker showed an exception and the package wasn't delivered. UPS screwed me...ugh. :mad:

had one sent to my zip...I know it was for me. The tracker showed an exception and the package wasn't delivered. UPS screwed me...ugh. :mad:

So you must be one of the extremely rare cases where you are the ONLY person in your zipcode? I don't understand why everytime one of these is headed to a specific zipcode, someone has to announce that it was DEFINITELY heading to them..... :rolleyes:

I had 2 come to my zipcode. And guess what? NEITHER were for me.

to OP

you might not get into the Pilot program for these so I wouldn't recommend saying free netbooks

not everyone that signs up is gonna get in

but I signed up and hope to get in

It's also a beta test, and you are obligated to report your findings to Google. So it is NOT free, you are providing Google a valuable service. The "free" netbook is simply the tool that allows you to perform the testing for them. I hope that the majority who sign up for this are really going to test it, and are not just looking for a freebie.

I had every intention of testing mine, except for the fact that thus far, they have not seen it fit to send me one. Even with my mentioning that i'm active in the Android scene and have done beta testing for Motorola's Android OS release for the Droid.

As much as i like google and some of what they;re trying to do, did any of you read section of the terms of service?

5. Apps, Extensions, and Themes

5.1 These terms in this section apply if you install apps, extensions, or themes in the Software. Apps are web applications, developed by Google or third parties, that you can install in Chrome OS. Extensions are small software programs, developed by Google or third parties, that can modify and enhance the functionality of the Chrome OS. Themes are a special kind of extension that changes the way the Software looks. Extensions and apps may have greater privileges to access your browser or your computer than regular webpages, including the ability to read and modify your private data.

5.2 From time to time, Chrome OS may check with remote servers (hosted by Google or by third parties) for available updates to apps and extensions, including but not limited to bug fixes or enhanced functionality. You agree that such updates will be automatically requested, downloaded, and installed without further notice to you.

5.3 From time to time, Google may discover an app or extension that violates Google developer terms or other legal agreements, laws, regulations or policies. Chrome OS will periodically download a list of such apps and extensions from Google’s servers. You agree that Google may remotely disable or remove any such app or extension from user systems in its sole discretion.

and section 4 says you can't tell Google "No, i don't want this to happen"

4. Software updates

4.1 The Software may automatically download and install updates from time to time from Google. These updates are designed to improve, enhance and further develop the Software and may take the form of bug fixes, enhanced functions, new software modules and completely new versions. You agree to receive such updates (and permit Google to deliver these to you) as part of your use of the Software.

Now, thankfully, Google has enabled a few things. First, in China, they defied the government, and left rather than give up information...which is good. Second they have an incognito mode, with, what i hope is a full array of EVER INCREASING AND NOT DECREASING *cough*Facebook*cough* list of privacy settings that one can enable or disable.

Sooo...i signed up for one and i want to test out that particular feature extensively :). Does that mean that i can ask them for all information that they sent about my system to "assist" them? :).

So you must be one of the extremely rare cases where you are the ONLY person in your zipcode? I don't understand why everytime one of these is headed to a specific zipcode, someone has to announce that it was DEFINITELY heading to them..... :rolleyes:

I know bc I felt a tremor in the force...as if millions of voices crying out at once then silenced. Actually it was just me crying out because UPS SCREWED ME. :mad:

As much as i like google and some of what they;re trying to do, did any of you read section of the terms of service?

and section 4 says you can't tell Google "No, i don't want this to happen"

Now, thankfully, Google has enabled a few things. First, in China, they defied the government, and left rather than give up information...which is good. Second they have an incognito mode, with, what i hope is a full array of EVER INCREASING AND NOT DECREASING *cough*Facebook*cough* list of privacy settings that one can enable or disable.

Sooo...i signed up for one and i want to test out that particular feature extensively :). Does that mean that i can ask them for all information that they sent about my system to "assist" them? :).

You ever use a Android phone? When you install apps, it tells you exactly what the app will have access to. If you do not like it, you can cancel installing the app. Same thing with Chrome OS. It tells you exactly what the app will do and have access to.

And about your section 4 comment? If you do not want to help test Chrome OS, then this Pilot Project is not for you. It's the whole point of the program and why it is a free device to do it. :rolleyes:

unfortunately, me 2

Yea it is against google's tos you sign to review the notebook. I would imagine google will get them though. Sad thing i can't even get one.......................{Sorry, no packages for you...}

It's also a beta test, and you are obligated to report your findings to Google. So it is NOT free, you are providing Google a valuable service. The "free" netbook is simply the tool that allows you to perform the testing for them. I hope that the majority who sign up for this are really going to test it, and are not just looking for a freebie.

I had every intention of testing mine, except for the fact that thus far, they have not seen it fit to send me one. Even with my mentioning that i'm active in the Android scene and have done beta testing for Motorola's Android OS release for the Droid.

You sound very upset or frustrated that you didn't get one. Just because you're in the "scene" of android doesn't mean you should get one. I didn't get one and I'm in the IT scene, but luckily I was smart enough to sign my mom up & I guess they liked the fact she works in the state government. Ended up snagging 2 sent to her address :D

Last edited:
I requested 2 this morning since our business switched over to Google Apps Premier about 9 months ago.
How quickly are those that have received one getting a response back from Google? Is it by email, telephone call? Just curious...

I requested 2 this morning since our business switched over to Google Apps Premier about 9 months ago.
How quickly are those that have received one getting a response back from Google? Is it by email, telephone call? Just curious...

You get no response. One just shows up if you are picked.

looks like asshat resellers are already putting them on the 'bay... :mad:
Does Google have any legal recourse on this? Seems like this would be a breach of the user agreement when signing up for one.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=cr-48&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Looks like Google is shutting them down.

http://www.thechromesource.com/cr-48-recipient-tries-selling-laptop-on-ebay-gets-shut-down/

What a bunch of jackasses. (the sellers, not Google)

I have been tethering this off my Alltel Hero with the Wired Tether App and staying off the grid here at work with my non-official business. The Cr-48 comes with 100MB of data from Verizon a month and I would burn through that 100MB in about 20 minutes. In one hour, I used 324MB of data.

looks like asshat resellers are already putting them on the 'bay... :mad:
Does Google have any legal recourse on this? Seems like this would be a breach of the user agreement when signing up for one.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=cr-48&_sacat=See-All-Categories

The Bidders are also one to blame, if only they knew and don't bid on them.

Also ebay should do something about it or least google try to talk it out with ebay and stop the auction of such items for least their legally bought.

Signed up a week or so ago. I used a tracker on a third-party website to curiously see how many packages were sent to my area, and - to my suprise - there were quite a few.

Those Ebay acutions amuse me. Going on Ebay is far from subtle. Did they think that Google wouldn't notice?

According to the stat tracker, they've shipped ~15,000 now. The rumor is that they'll give out ~60,000, so there's still hope (assuming the stat checker and the rumors are true).

Still nothing for me, though :(

According to the stat tracker, they've shipped ~15,000 now. The rumor is that they'll give out ~60,000, so there's still hope (assuming the stat checker and the rumors are true).

Still nothing for me, though :(

the stat trcker isnt updating anymore

They're done shipping out what they intended to ship out (nothing official from Google about that, but it's fairly simple math in the long run).

They provided ~23,000+ of the original allotment of 60,000 machines to their own employees worldwide first and foremost, then the rest were split up between reviewers, tech sites, newspapers, bloggers, test units, and then came the actual ones they shipped out to people that signed up and got accepted into the Pilot program.

Sadly, I didn't but I sure would have loved to work with one of 'em. The tracker is basically of no use anymore since they're done shipping...

Bleh. "The party's over, people..." ;)

According to Engadget (at least this article) Google has resume shipping of the Cr-48 laptops, as weird as that sounds.

The tracker is sortakinda disabled indefinitely, or so it says. According to the idea that 23,000 of the laptops went to Google employees, and maybe 1,000 or so going to sites, reviewers, press, and bloggers that would leave a considerable chunk of the ~60,000 originally produced (meaning over half) so, there is still a chance of getting one as "round 2" of the shipping has apparently gotten back into full swing.

The tracker showed about 15,000 being shipped, so that could potentially leave another 15,000+ heading out.

Still would love to get one of these but, I applied twice (once with the short-short form, then again with the standard long one) and I did so within about 2 hours of this whole program starting and I haven't heard a peep or seen a Cr-48 with my name on it, sooo... guess I just miss out this time, sadly.

But, who knows, maybe someone will get lucky... keep an eye out for one coming your way, maybe.

I applied on the same day as the original announcement and have not gotten one or heard from Google. I wonder if its because my personal statement was way more than 140 characters, which I didn't realize at the time, but even though it says 140, they don't actually limit you and you can write as much as you want. But anyways. I remember initially it said the deadline for applying was Dec 21st, but they are still accepting applications, so I think that's a clear sign that they intend to ship more. I haven't heard of anyone receiving one in a really long time though. Have you guys heard of people still receiving them? I wonder if it's a good idea to apply again, maybe they won't look at old applications for the new batch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back