Fractal Design - DEFINE Mini

how accurate are the fittings? video cards in pics that have been posted all seem... crooked.

Last edited:
I received the case from Newegg. It's very good and what I expected with a few caveats:

- The "back" side panel behind the motherboard was extremely difficult to get off the first time, and still really difficult after taking it on and off a few times.

- The area behind the motherboard to hide cables is really small. I couldn't fit the main power supply cable back there and had to put it below the 5.25" drives (I removed the upper HDD cage to fit my 6950).

- The rubber grommets will fall off when you put the cables through them. This seems to be a known issue with Fractal cases.

- You can have figure this out from the dimensions (and I realized this but just want to point it out), but the "mini" of the case is that it's relatively short (~15.5"). The length and width are that of standard ATX case. My fiance commented it looks "stumpy" :p.

- I'll admit I'm sensitive to this, but I find the blue LED obnoxiously bright, but that might just be me. FYI, there's no HDD LED if you care about that.

^I agree with all of that.

I did manage to squeeze the cables behind the right side panel, but getting it on was a pain - very tight.
And I have a blob of white blu-tac over the front LED, until I feel like opening it up and pulling out the cable for it. It is irritating in the corner of the eyes.

how accurate are the fittings? video cards in pics that have been posted all seem... crooked.
I've fitted an xfx gtx260 black in there (which I think is 10.5" or ~267mm?), with the top hard drive cage installed, and barely a millimetre or two to spare.

Anyone can comment on the Fractal Designs Define Mini VS Antec mini P180? I had a mini P180 I loved and regret very much on selling. How is the build quality/material quality on the Define Mini VS mini P180 (the mini-P180 was built very well/solid). Looking to build a mATX SB PC soon so choosing a case now. Looking to air cool only. Thanks in advance for any comments.

I can, as I've moved from the P180 Mini to the Fractal Case.
img20110917092449.jpg

What's hot with the Fractal
- More room for expansion
- USB 3.0 Header
- Easier to cable manage
- Much more room generally for enthusiast hardware
- Plenty of ventilation
- External water cooling holes in the rear for when I pick up a Koolance 3K3UC
- Top mounted power button / USB etc.
- Amazing build quality

What's not.
- Some of the included thumb screws are a bitch to undo and re-do (Nothing major)
- Perhaps a bit more room could have been added behind the mobo tray

What's hot with the P180 Mini
- Was the only mATX case with all black interior at the time
- 200mm Big Boy fan in the top
- With some creative thinking, you could fit in 9 3.5" drives (I'm using the case for a server now with over 5 drives)
- Good build quality

What's not with the P180 Mini
- Gathered dust very quickly for some reason
- Plastic exterior
- Really hard to change hardware arrangement outside of what I had in there
- No pass-through for external watercooling

finally ordered a Define Mini for my new build, should be arriving at my door in two days, but still having a hard time figuring out the best HSF for use with this case. thinking about Hyper 212+.

Some pictures of my Define Mini + Asus Gene-Z

I'm looking for the same setup as you have, but I am wondering if you could fit another GTX580 in there. In my case that would be 2x GTX 460, since I already have one. Or wil it block the internal USB ports etc. on the bottom of the mb. Is it even not a good idea to fit two of those cards in a mATX case (airflow, temp)?

I can, as I've moved from the P180 Mini to the Fractal Case.
img20110917092449.jpg

What's hot with the Fractal
- More room for expansion
- USB 3.0 Header
- Easier to cable manage
- Much more room generally for enthusiast hardware
- Plenty of ventilation
- External water cooling holes in the rear for when I pick up a Koolance 3K3UC
- Top mounted power button / USB etc.
- Amazing build quality

What's not.
- Some of the included thumb screws are a bitch to undo and re-do (Nothing major)
- Perhaps a bit more room could have been added behind the mobo tray

What's hot with the P180 Mini
- Was the only mATX case with all black interior at the time
- 200mm Big Boy fan in the top
- With some creative thinking, you could fit in 9 3.5" drives (I'm using the case for a server now with over 5 drives)
- Good build quality

What's not with the P180 Mini
- Gathered dust very quickly for some reason
- Plastic exterior
- Really hard to change hardware arrangement outside of what I had in there
- No pass-through for external watercooling

Just wanted to thank you for the comments, will take all that into consideration.

Hey guys. I'm new here. I just switched over from a Corsair Obsidian 650d to the Fractal Define Mini. I love SFF computers. The 650d was just way too huge. I just wanted to share my case

Anyways I made some very minor modifications to fit an h100 in my case. I removed both HDD bay cages. I run my system off a lonely 128gb SSD so space was not an issue. I used a rotary tool to remove the bar between the 2 fans, and I removed 1 side of each of the plastic fan 'sockets' so they will fit exactly side by side, instead of having a gap between. Here are 2 pictures from the early stages of the build. I've ran into video card/mobo compatibility issues so I am not sure what I will be doing for a permanent solution for card. Might wait for the new generation to release.

099.jpg

009.jpg

I will get some more pictures up in the future. Next time I have to tinker with the machine I will get close up shots of the modifications I made in case anyone else is interested in doing the same. I am currently considering installing a window in the side of this little badboy.

This looks to be perfect for my next case. Has anyone had any fit issues with a Hyper 212+?

I'm ALMOST done with a new build in this case...

I put a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo in mine with an ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z board under it. It fits just fine and you can leave the side cover vent plug on, but you definitely can't mount an extra fan in the side hole. Another plus is it seems with this cooler there won't be any problem mounting tall memory in all four DIMM slots if you like your memory tall, though it'll probably be touching the side of the fan on that closest DIMM slot (I'm not 100% sure on this since DHL is still trying to figure out where I live or something! Deliver my memory already!)

Hey guys. I'm new here. I just switched over from a Corsair Obsidian 650d to the Fractal Define Mini. I love SFF computers. The 650d was just way too huge. I just wanted to share my case

Anyways I made some very minor modifications to fit an h100 in my case. I removed both HDD bay cages. I run my system off a lonely 128gb SSD so space was not an issue. I used a rotary tool to remove the bar between the 2 fans, and I removed 1 side of each of the plastic fan 'sockets' so they will fit exactly side by side, instead of having a gap between. Here are 2 pictures from the early stages of the build. I've ran into video card/mobo compatibility issues so I am not sure what I will be doing for a permanent solution for card. Might wait for the new generation to release.

I will get some more pictures up in the future. Next time I have to tinker with the machine I will get close up shots of the modifications I made in case anyone else is interested in doing the same. I am currently considering installing a window in the side of this little badboy.

Prue sex. I have wanted one of these since they came out. I had a mini P180 before my sugo. Im thinking of steping back up to mATX. What is the GPU issuse your having?

The memory finally came. I took a few snaps of the final rig.

Maximus%20i7%20-%20interior.jpg

(You can't really tell easily in this picture, but there is about a <1mm gap between the memory and the cpu fan, so with this cooler your memory heat spreaders can be as ridiculous as you like.)

Maximus%20i7%20-%20interior%20back.jpg

Maximus%20i7%20-%20exterior.jpg

I've never been so stimulated by a computer before...

• Fractal Design Define Mini
  • ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z
  • Intel Core i7-2600k
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 120mm cpu cooler
  • 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1866
  • PALIT GeForce 460 2GB
  • OCZ 120gb Vertex 3 and Agility 2 SSD's

At first I was surprised at how loud it was - I was expecting it to be nearly inaudible but it was far from it. After I installed the ASUS AI Suite and dialed in the Fan Xpert to bring the fan speeds down (they were going at 2000 rpm) while the components are cool enough, it's much closer to that "inaudible" target I had in mind. I have the case fans spinning at 800 rpms, the cpu fan at about 900, though when I start up prime95 they instantly whip up to about 1300 and 1700 respectively and become noticeably louder, though not nearly loud enough to be annoying.

CPU Temp sits at about 24 degrees idle (1.6 GHz) and tops out at about 53 degrees while running prime 95 (4.2 GHz). I'm not a person who spends a lot of time thinking about case thermals, but I'm pretty impressed with how this case can deal with heat seemingly effortlessly with just the 2 stock case fans.

Still, I wouldn't mind going from my current "nearly silent" to "dead silent". Anyone have this case that can't hear it at all from more than a few feet away?

The memory finally came. I took a few snaps of the final rig.

Maximus%20i7%20-%20interior.jpg

(You can't really tell easily in this picture, but there is about a <1mm gap between the memory and the cpu fan, so with this cooler your memory heat spreaders can be as ridiculous as you like.)

Maximus%20i7%20-%20interior%20back.jpg

Maximus%20i7%20-%20exterior.jpg

I've never been so stimulated by a computer before...

• Fractal Design Define Mini
  • ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z
  • Intel Core i7-2600k
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 120mm cpu cooler
  • 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1866
  • PALIT GeForce 460 2GB
  • OCZ 120gb Vertex 3 and Agility 2 SSD's

At first I was surprised at how loud it was - I was expecting it to be nearly inaudible but it was far from it. After I installed the ASUS AI Suite and dialed in the Fan Xpert to bring the fan speeds down (they were going at 2000 rpm) while the components are cool enough, it's much closer to that "inaudible" target I had in mind. I have the case fans spinning at 800 rpms, the cpu fan at about 900, though when I start up prime95 they instantly whip up to about 1300 and 1700 respectively and become noticeably louder, though not nearly loud enough to be annoying.

CPU Temp sits at about 24 degrees idle (1.6 GHz) and tops out at about 53 degrees while running prime 95 (4.2 GHz). I'm not a person who spends a lot of time thinking about case thermals, but I'm pretty impressed with how this case can deal with heat seemingly effortlessly with just the 2 stock case fans.

Still, I wouldn't mind going from my current "nearly silent" to "dead silent". Anyone have this case that can't hear it at all from more than a few feet away?

Amazing! Im building the same setup as you!! only difference is the Video Card

Amazing! Im building the same setup as you!! only difference is the Video Card

Ah nice; you're going to love it. I didn't realize until after I ordered the parts, but I see a lot of people building systems with this mobo/case/cpu and minor variations on the other parts. It's definitely cool to see the things people are trying, like Pabz0r545 who chopped up the front of his case and mounted a Corsair H100. I was tempted to try to stuff an H100 in mine when I saw Newegg's special promo for a $70 H100, but I definitely need the hard drive cage on mine, and at least for now can't give up 5.25" up top for my BD drive. Maybe I could have cut open the top and put it up there somehow but I'm a bit hesitant to start cutting holes in this beautiful case just for something like that. I suppose the H80 or H60 would go in without complaints, but they just don't seem like they're very strong coolers at the end of the day.

I made what is increasingly looking like a mistake in getting this case for my I2500k/Gene Z build. After almost 7 hours of trying every non-destructive way I can think of to get the right side panel off (The left one slides off fairly easily), I am left with nothing but sore fingers and arms, and a burning sense of anger and disappointment. The user's manual is a joke (It's basically just a listing of specs repeated in different languages).

Have I missed some kind of magical incantation I'll need to recite in order to actually get that side panel off?

At this point I'm regretting not getting a Lian Li mATX case instead. My Media Center PC was built with a Lian Li PC-Q08 Mini-Itx case. It's side panels are secured with 6 small screws pr. side, and once they are removed, the panel comes off effortlessly.

To others who are looking into buying a Define Mini for their next build, I'd consider other alternatives very thoroughly.

Edit: I finally managed to pry the right-side panel off with a flat-head screwdriver, alternatingly moving the upper and lower edge of panel to the rear ever so slightly. I'd say that having the side panels fitted that thightly defeats the point of easy-to-unscrew thumb screws. I'll be getting on with the build tomorrow,as it's 20 past midnight here.

Last edited:
Just finished a build with this today. It's large, definitely not a small form factor case. It's a little shorter than a mid tower but it is long and wide as any mid tower case. Side panels seem solid and the case generally seems very structurally sound, does not have that cheap feel of some cases.

The bad: Backplate hole did not align with the backplate (Biostar H61MHC + Hyper 212). Looking at pics and other threads on other forums it looks like this is a common issue. Not a huge issue, installing a backplate without a backplate hole is not really that difficult, but I was looking forward to seeing if having the backplate cut out made things any easier.

Some weird things: no case speaker, no HDD LED. Don't really care about the HDD LED, but the case speaker is actually useful for POST beeps.

Some cool things: sound proofing on side panels, comes with a fan controller. On high the fans are audible but at mid to low they are basically completely silent. Real onboard USB 3.0, not extension cords that you run out the back of the case.

I'm pretty happy with this thing since it is really, really quiet and it looks sleek. Fits a Hyper 212 fine and makes for a great silent HTPC for my parent's entertainment room. Wish it was smaller, but it was a pleasure to work with.

The side panels are snug, but I did not find mine overly so. The right side panel is a little difficult to get on with the cables routed on that side. I noticed mobo holes way out on the tray; this thing says it is only micro ATX but can this thing fit a regular ATX board?

Anybody has (or would have some pointers) about changing the power LED on this case? I liked in so much I have two of them now, it would be nice if they were different, so I was thinking if I could change the LED to a red one.

Hello, I wonder if Thermalright HR-02 Macho will fit into Define Mini. It's about 3mm taller than Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, but it's wider and probably will touch foam on the side fan placement. Can you measure it for me?

Back