Faster, more stable forum software?

bipolar

[H]ard|Gawd
Just curious if alternative forum software, like ja.zz at shacknews or, even better, skold's code at www.stoofoo.net (basically, a built from scratch, optimized version of ja.zz) has ever been considered? Just my opinion, but I think it has a number of advantages over UBB style.

there is nothing more stable than vbulletin.
I work with it everyday.

Trust me, its the best I've seen.

Aside from stability, though, are also the factors of speed and features. Just my opinion, of course, but skold's forum code is much faster and has many more features. I guess my main dislike for UBB/VBulletin style forums is that, being on dialup, I have to wait for each thread to load and then often times the thread does not have the information I had supposed. Ja.zz style boards handle this in a much better manner, in my opinion.

bipolar said:
Just curious if alternative forum software, like ja.zz at shacknews or, even better, skold's code at www.stoofoo.net (basically, a built from scratch, optimized version of ja.zz) has ever been considered? Just my opinion, but I think it has a number of advantages over UBB style.

I disagree. I find forums like Shacknews difficult to negotiate and confusing. For the record this isn't UBB, it's vBulletin.

cyr0n_k0r said:
I work with it everyday.

It was even stable in the Beta and RC stages, bugs galore, but stable. Even then the bugs were not something that would stop it from being in a production evvironment.

Out of all the forums software I've personally used (as in installed, and admiined) I'd say vBull is the best. imho.

Yes, I personally like the VB style and layout after a little tweaking. It is now incredibly fast too.

Vagrant Zero said:
Bloody hell, I couldn't make heads or tails out of that jazz thing.
There is a (small) learning curve with ja.zz. The problem is that they don't have the "good" options enabled by default (dThread instead of regular Threaded mode, juggle threads, etc).

For a better example of that type of bbs, www.stoofoo.net/chatty.x

bipolar said:
There is a (small) learning curve with ja.zz. The problem is that they don't have the "good" options enabled by default (dThread instead of regular Threaded mode, juggle threads, etc).

For a better example of that type of bbs, www.stoofoo.net/chatty.x

I just personally do not like that style of thread structure. Too hard to lose place etc.

bipolar said:
Guess I'm in the minority here ;) You're right though, this is faster than UBB. I guess I just have a soft spot for the threaded style of ja.zz/stoofoo

Page generated in 0.18960 seconds with 11 queries [Server Loads: 0.81 1.31 : 1.31]

That is pretty speedy with 500 folks using the boards.

We migrated from UBB to VBv1 way back when....

jpmkm said:
I don't like it either. I hate having to click to see each reply to a thread. There may be better forum software out there, but I like this forum the way it is. I also like gentoo's forum.
stoofoo has hover, you can just hover the mouse over the reply number on the left and the post pops.

cyr0n_k0r said:
I work with it everyday.

Agreed, and same here. (working with it every day that is)
I've tried UBB, WBB, Invison, PHPBB, Fusetalk, Lithium, etc, none of them even come close to vB.

I looked at PHPBB, UBB, and Fusetalk pretty heavily in this last year but decided to wait and see what this VB3 was going to bring. I am glad I waited....no matter how painful it was.

I give great kudos to the vB staff, they did one hell of a job, and I couldn't be happier with vB3.

The newest IPB (2.0) is good, but I still think vB3 is alot better.

i like them all :) I like posting on different forums (jazz, stoofoo, and [H]), but i say i prefere jazz, stoofoo over [H] but i still like [H] :) Hi bipolar!

Ew I can't stand that threaded view from shacknews forums.. its impossible to track the conversation.. stick with this =)

The only gripe I had with the forums here was searches not working for the FS/T area or any others quite often.. but now it looks like they work so this rocks! Thanks Kyle and crew!

The only one that I see can even hold a candle too vB is Invision and thats mostly just for their admin features.

halcyon said:
Ew I can't stand that threaded view from shacknews forums.. its impossible to track the conversation.. stick with this =)

The only gripe I had with the forums here was searches not working for the FS/T area or any others quite often.. but now it looks like they work so this rocks! Thanks Kyle and crew!

I don't understand what's hard to follow. If anything, you can immediately see who is replying to who, which you can't here unless the replied-to post is quoted in the reply, which just duplicates the text and wastes bandwidth.

In shack or stoofoo, all messages start off with a number and end with a number. If you can't tell by how much a message is indented, which post it is replying to, just look at the number on the left and find a matching number on the right, that's the parent.

Again, it's probably all what you're used to though :)

Heya silent1 :)

I think invision is tight, fastest forum software ive seen. It gets no respect though.

JAW said:
I think invision is tight, fastest forum software ive seen. It gets no respect though.
i hapen to respect it alot, i use it everyday at another site of mine.

Back