Far Cry 6

I too, do as much as possible before continuing the main story line, and I like to get all the collectibles that I can during a normal run through, but some games make it difficult to do that in the first pass.

Most games I start off with "hard" difficulty and may increase it as time goes on if allowed, but in order to get most achievements that involve different difficulty's, you have to pick one and stick with it.

I'm not one to just try and get all the achievements on the first pass, but if it's an open world game and it has free roam, I most likely will try to get as many as I can without a guide.

But like you said, by the time a main quest line is over, the game is pretty much over as well because all the side content has already been done. I'm one of those rare people who loves side content and my OCD will not allow me to skip one iota of it in an open world game. I usually will come back to a game again to try different load outs, play styles or if a new sequel is introduced, I will replay all of them again for the lore, which is what I probably will do with FC6.

Ah, that'ts where we differ. I don't really care about the achievements or steam trading cards or anything like that. I play it for the in-game experience.

I'm the same way with movies, take for instance Evil Dead Rise, I re watched all of the Evil Deads again, not because I don't remember them, those have been burned in my brain eons ago, but because that's just the way I am when it comes to something with a lore path.

I apologize for the novella.

Ah, I'm the opposite when it comes to movies and TV as well.

I don't think I've ever rewatched a movie. Not that I can remember anyhow. Only time I've rewatched TV shows is when a new season came out after a break and I can't remember what the hell happened in the previous one.

Ah, that'ts where we differ. I don't really care about the achievements or steam trading cards or anything like that. I play it for the in-game experience.

Ah, I'm the opposite when it comes to movies and TV as well.

I don't think I've ever rewatched a movie. Not that I can remember anyhow. Only time I've rewatched TV shows is when a new season came out after a break and I can't remember what the hell happened in the previous one.
I could care less about the cards as well. I sell every one that I get.

They are all worth like pennies. I've never bothered even selling them.

The proceeds are not worth my time to figure out how the Steam marketplace works :p
Average of 5-7 cents a card, 3-7 cards a game, not all games give you cards, but it's better than hoarding them and not making shit off of them.
I've bought a few under $5 games with the proceeds. 🤷‍♂️

LOL at the Steam forums… Ubisoft pretty much did what they had to do with the pricing, and dropped it all the way down to $20… so left with nothing else to complain about everyone now wants the DRM removed. Others are saying the game is just ‘too woke’.

I don’t know… maybe find a different hobby or something.

I bought this game on release and its a good game, I guess Ubisoft is dumping their launcher?

I bought this game on release and its a good game, I guess Ubisoft is dumping their launcher?

Probably not

In every far cry release since about halfway through 3, they have forced the launcher. You can buy it with steam, but steam just downloads and installs Ubisoft Connect or Uplay or whatever it is called this year, and adds and installs rhe game to your library there.

It's kind of bullshit, and the main reason I use the "community edition" of these games.

I don't want any additional stores/launchers on my machine, so I buy the game on Steam so the devs actually get paid, and then use the "community edition" to actually play the game.

All their steam releases still run through Uplay.
And it looks like Ubisoft is doing a 1-2 year Steam delay since there is no Steam page for AC Mirage / S&B

Probably not

In every far cry release since about halfway through 3, they have forced the launcher. You can buy it with steam, but steam just downloads and installs Ubisoft Connect or Uplay or whatever it is called this year, and adds and installs rhe game to your library there.

It's kind of bullshit, and the main reason I use the "community edition" of these games.

I don't want any additional stores/launchers on my machine, so I buy the game on Steam so the devs actually get paid, and then use the "community edition" to actually play the game.
I do this often. I don't really like doing it but I like it more than distributors forcing us to use multiple launchers and remember even more logins and deal with more background apps, automatic updates, overlays, controller hijacking mapping and so on.

Thank the gods for GoG. At least there's one distro that recognizes some gamers just want the damn game and nothing else.

Far Cry 7 rumor

Insider Tom Henderson has learned new details on Ubisoft’s next mainline Fary Cry entry...the next game, which we’ll refer to as Far Cry 7 and is internally known as Project Blackbird, is scheduled to be released in Fall 2025...the game will be developed by Ubisoft Montreal and will move away from the Dunia engine to Snowdrop

it’s understood that the next entry to the series will be a non-linear story, with the story being centered around rescuing the player’s kidnapped family...it was said that the game’s plot revolves around a wealthy family that has been kidnapped by a conspiracy group currently called the ‘Sons of Truth’...while exact, finite details are subject to change due to the game’s stage of development, it was said that the premise of the campaign is for the player to rescue their entire family within a specific time frame...currently, the current in-game timer stands at 72 hours, or 24 hours in real-time, but the timer can be paused when the player enters one of their safehouses...

https://insider-gaming.com/far-cry-7-story-details/

the timer shouldn't be an issue...if the timer is 24 hours in real-time plus safehouse timeouts it'll be around 30 hours or so which is a decent sized game...at least they're trying something different rather than the same old reskins in a new location

Same. Especially in the open world style. I like to poke and explore at my own pace. I am fine with "feigned urgency" that almost all games have.
What are you talking about? We have finally tracked down the most vile and seditious criminal ever to walk the earth! He is currently in his hidden mountaintop bunker, but only until tomorrow when enemy reinforcements will arrive.

Although, until specified time which won’t trigger until you cross a hidden threshold near the foot of said mountaintop - by all means, take as much time as you need to explore, gather collectibles, complete odd jobs, and generally f*(% around.

What are you talking about? We have finally tracked down the most vile and seditious criminal ever to walk the earth! He is currently in his hidden mountaintop bunker, but only until tomorrow when enemy reinforcements will arrive.

Although, until specified time which won’t trigger until you cross a hidden threshold near the foot of said mountaintop - by all means, take as much time as you need to explore, gather collectibles, complete odd jobs, and generally f*(% around.
Why is it always a mountain top? I'd make my evil lair - Target's aisle with bathmats. It is up there with Ravenholm in terms of visitor count.

Why is it always a mountain top? I'd make my evil lair - Target's aisle with bathmats. It is up there with Ravenholm in terms of visitor count.
I'd make my evil lair the part of Initech headquarters that's near Lumbergh's office, where only corporate slaves who begrudgingly agree to give up family time to work on Saturdays reside. No one in their right mind would want to go near that place.

Far Cry 7 rumor

Insider Tom Henderson has learned new details on Ubisoft’s next mainline Fary Cry entry...the next game, which we’ll refer to as Far Cry 7 and is internally known as Project Blackbird, is scheduled to be released in Fall 2025...the game will be developed by Ubisoft Montreal and will move away from the Dunia engine to Snowdrop

it’s understood that the next entry to the series will be a non-linear story, with the story being centered around rescuing the player’s kidnapped family...it was said that the game’s plot revolves around a wealthy family that has been kidnapped by a conspiracy group currently called the ‘Sons of Truth’...while exact, finite details are subject to change due to the game’s stage of development, it was said that the premise of the campaign is for the player to rescue their entire family within a specific time frame...currently, the current in-game timer stands at 72 hours, or 24 hours in real-time, but the timer can be paused when the player enters one of their safehouses...

That is a good idea to add a timer so people actually play their games rather then sit on them for years and not play them.

That is a good idea to add a timer so people actually play their games rather then sit on them for years and not play them.
I don't understand how that accomplishes people not playing the game for years. I mean, it's an in-game timer to rescue the characters family and not a mission impossible "once you start this game, it will delete itself within 24 hours" kind of thing.

I don't understand how that accomplishes people not playing the game for years. I mean, it's an in-game timer to rescue the characters family and not a mission impossible "once you start this game, it will delete itself within 24 hours" kind of thing.
Yeah that is correct but still give you a urgency to play the game faster. I suppose you could save scum the game and the timer really doesn't matter.

If true they would be trying something different, but they're changing the wrong thing. A common problem with game developers. They either make the same thing over and over and ignore real changes, or make dumb changes and keep that bad stuff. Ubisoft humor, politics and quest design have gotten so bland and old. Far Cry 6 could have had an excellent setting but the horrible character design, phoned in story, and art design clashed with the civil war backdrop in the worst way possible. Those are areas they need to work on. Does anyone find the Far cry games funny? Because they really aren't, despite trying to.

Make a Far Cry game with a semi believable story and serious tone and that alone would make it fresher than previous iterations. A timer just sounds annoying. My assumption is they will require you to replay the game 2-3 times to get all of the content, although each play through will be 80% the same. Essentially they're looking for a cheap way to get play hours up while not making the content. Essentially a money saving scheme.

I'm all for more of the same FC to a point but I do think its time for some serious changes. They need to be more creative and a bit more ambitious with their ideas. Listen to the community and let the community test some of their ideas to see how well it plays out. Just some suggestions on my part.

If UBI had to overhaul this series it would be to make the game ultra realistic. The past few games are hardly even better than Far Cry 3 4 5 or 6 all the games just blend together.

R.jpg

This is what Far Cry should look like nothing else no weird quests just you in a puddle of water in the ocean.

If UBI had to overhaul this series it would be to make the game ultra realistic. The past few games are hardly even better than Far Cry 3 4 5 or 6 all the games just blend together.
I personally would have liked to see the game go more of the FC2 route. That's still my favorite of the entire franchise personally. It had some issues, but I really enjoyed it more compared to the redirection of FC3.

I’m curious if the timer is to prevent running side quests to get every upgrade or loot the best weapons and so on to make the end game more difficult.

I personally would have liked to see the game go more of the FC2 route. That's still my favorite of the entire franchise personally. It had some issues, but I really enjoyed it more compared to the redirection of FC3.

I wish they would go back to that theme and setting. Make it serous. Make it feel like real mercenaries/civil wars, not look like literal circus workers like FC6 had.

Far Cry 7 rumor

.,..it was said that the premise of the campaign is for the player to rescue their entire family within a specific time frame...currently, the current in-game timer stands at 72 hours, or 24 hours in real-time, but the timer can be paused when the player enters one of their safehouses...

I am on the record as having suggested that the Far Cry mechanics in use from 2-6 were getting tired, and they needed to change something up.

While the "rescuing ones family" story line isn't necessarily bad, this timer thing sounds unappealing.

I'm used to getting about 50-60 hours out of a Far Cry game, chasing down all of the side quests, etc. Some abbreviated game with only enough content to last 24 hours of game-play would be something I just wouldn't buy.

I'm down for that, as I like to do the campaign first, free play second.

It depends on how it is designed. If it is designed like a typical open world Ubisoft game it would be horrible. I assume it will be as that is all Ubisoft knows how to do. My assumption is they want to increase hour time and make less and lower quality content. Many gamers attribute value to a game by judging an hour counter rather than fun or quality. So you'll have to replay it 3-4 times to finish the story. 24 hours x 4 = 96 hours.

I think it could work, if it has a lot more hand crafted sections, few areas that repeat, a high quality story and was level based. The player would make some decisions that set them down a path where 70-80% of the levels they play on a different at the start of the game, and the few that do repeat are altered in some way. Enemy types, time of day, mission type, NPC, dialogue and things like that. But I doubt Ubisoft has such planned, the will continue with lazy open world game design. And they cannot write a moderately decent story no matter how hard they try.

As such, I think it will be a typical Far Cry game, with an annoying timer that takes away player experimentation and much more repetition.

It depends on how it is designed. If it is designed like a typical open world Ubisoft game it would be horrible. I assume it will be as that is all Ubisoft knows how to do. My assumption is they want to increase hour time and make less and lower quality content. Many gamers attribute value to a game by judging an hour counter rather than fun or quality. So you'll have to replay it 3-4 times to finish the story. 24 hours x 4 = 96 hours.

I think it could work, if it has a lot more hand crafted sections, few areas that repeat, a high quality story and was level based. The player would make some decisions that set them down a path where 70-80% of the levels they play on a different at the start of the game, and the few that do repeat are altered in some way. Enemy types, time of day, mission type, NPC, dialogue and things like that. But I doubt Ubisoft has such planned, the will continue with lazy open world game design. And they cannot write a moderately decent story no matter how hard they try.

As such, I think it will be a typical Far Cry game, with an annoying timer that takes away player experimentation and much more repetition.
I doubt there's many people that base value on playtime without taking quality of play into consideration even if they just cite length as the deciding factor. A bunch of worthless filler can actually detract from the value unless you can ignore it but I do admit there's also no way I'm paying normal full price for say a 10 hour game regardless of the quality, 24 hours is short enough that I highly doubt I'd be willing to pay full price but I might if it looked good enough. Replay adds value but not as much as an initial playthrough even when it reveals new content.

I pretty much agree with the rest. I think for a timed game to work it would need to be a highly crafted and on rails type of experience which as you said doesn't play to their strengths as a developer. It's also not my preferred style for games either which is a personal preference but one that's likely shared by many that enjoy the FC games since they're basically the opposite of that being open world sandbox type games.

I doubt there's many people that base value on playtime without taking quality of play into consideration even if they just cite length as the deciding factor.

I don't think so. I've seen plenty of people disparage a game for being 20 or so hours, and saying it is "half a game" and will wait until it is 50% or more off. I also think there is a reason why there is so much filler in games now, because a large subset of customers do demand that.

A bunch of worthless filler can actually detract from the value unless you can ignore it but I do admit there's also no way I'm paying normal full price for say a 10 hour game regardless of the quality, 24 hours is short enough that I highly doubt I'd be willing to pay full price but I might if it looked good enough.

That is what I am talking about. Although I do think 10 hours is a bit short, 20-24 hours is perfect. Plenty of great games that were around 16-24 hours.

Replay adds value but not as much as an initial playthrough even when it reveals new content.

Exactly. That is why it is tough to do. And the concept of this is to replay it multiple times. If 50-60% of the content is repeated, it will get old quick. One of the biggest complaints of Far Cry is that it has gotten a bit stale and repetitive. If FC7 requires replaying major portions of the game, that will just make it even more repetitive.

I do think it needs a change of pace. The open world concept has gotten stale. The oddball "hunting" was nice in 2010 but now running around dumping bullets into animals to carry more ammo is just old and boring. The dudebro theme has also gotten old. Ubisoft tried their hand a humor in FC5 and even FC6 a bit but Ubisoft is incapable of doing that properly.

I would prefer a regular FPS game, no RPG type of stuff. 20-26 hours or so. Level based. Make smarter NPCs, more detailed micro destruction, reactive NPCs, interesting level design, and design the levels around gameplay options. One of my biggest disappointments with FC6 was the lame outpost design. A lot of them were flat and out in the open without real options to take them down. You could just fly up to it, or drive up to it, shoot at the people and clear it in under a minute. The outposts in FC3 were more carefully crafted. Some were around docks and meant to be used with under water take downs and whatnot. I'd like to see more of that, applied to entire levels. Less plain, open fields of nothing and walking.

I don't think so. I've seen plenty of people disparage a game for being 20 or so hours, and saying it is "half a game" and will wait until it is 50% or more off. I also think there is a reason why there is so much filler in games now, because a large subset of customers do demand that.

That is what I am talking about. Although I do think 10 hours is a bit short, 20-24 hours is perfect. Plenty of great games that were around 16-24 hours.

Exactly. That is why it is tough to do. And the concept of this is to replay it multiple times. If 50-60% of the content is repeated, it will get old quick. One of the biggest complaints of Far Cry is that it has gotten a bit stale and repetitive. If FC7 requires replaying major portions of the game, that will just make it even more repetitive.

I do think it needs a change of pace. The open world concept has gotten stale. The oddball "hunting" was nice in 2010 but now running around dumping bullets into animals to carry more ammo is just old and boring. The dudebro theme has also gotten old. Ubisoft tried their hand a humor in FC5 and even FC6 a bit but Ubisoft is incapable of doing that properly.

I would prefer a regular FPS game, no RPG type of stuff. 20-26 hours or so. Level based. Make smarter NPCs, more detailed micro destruction, reactive NPCs, interesting level design, and design the levels around gameplay options. One of my biggest disappointments with FC6 was the lame outpost design. A lot of them were flat and out in the open without real options to take them down. You could just fly up to it, or drive up to it, shoot at the people and clear it in under a minute. The outposts in FC3 were more carefully crafted. Some were around docks and meant to be used with under water take downs and whatnot. I'd like to see more of that, applied to entire levels. Less plain, open fields of nothing and walking.
The point I was trying to make is that I think it's rare for anyone to not consider all factors even if one of those factors becomes an overriding factor. Iffy gameplay, poor graphics, or subject matter that's not to my tastes could also be overriding factors in whether or not I'm willing to pay full AAA prices; assuming of course that I'm still interested in playing it. I also don't see myself ever paying full AAA prices for a platformer or point and click adventure style game even though I enjoy them occasionally as a change of pace.

Now how short is too short is a matter of personal opinion but like it or not the general consensus seems to be that 40 hours is the standard length, a 20 hour game is half that and is considered too short for full price by many. I think almost everyone has a point at which a games length becomes a factor as well as a point that it become the deciding factor. Far Cry games tend to run about 60 hours for me and I consider them a decent value all things considered but are already borderline and a 24 hour game would have to be much better to be worth it. I'd be interested in hearing some examples of what you consider good games that were 16-24 hours because I can't think of a single one, maybe we just like different types of games and/or play them different.

As I said in another comment though the restrictive nature of having a timer is the main issue for me because it doesn't play to the strengths of the series.

Back