Fallout Shelter

kbrickley

Supreme [H]ardness
Anybody playing the Bethesda building/sim app (for iOS currently but I am sure that Android will come soon) ... my vault is tooling along (three kids so far) ... managing resources is tough, but not impossible ... seems to be fun so far

I love it so far. I had to start a new vault because I grew the first too fast and couldn't provide the resources. Just Hit 20 people with my second kid, and the raiders have stepped up their game, bringing guns to the party.
I need another two vault dwellers to man a permanent post in the vault door room, I'm scrambling at every attack to bring my main gear'd fighters to defensive positions.

For some reason, though, my scavengers aren't using the stims or radpacks I send with them.

I love it so far. I had to start a new vault because I grew the first too fast and couldn't provide the resources. Just Hit 20 people with my second kid, and the raiders have stepped up their game, bringing guns to the party.
I need another two vault dwellers to man a permanent post in the vault door room, I'm scrambling at every attack to bring my main gear'd fighters to defensive positions.

For some reason, though, my scavengers aren't using the stims or radpacks I send with them.

Have you upgraded the door on the vault ... first upgrade is 500 caps ... the help screens indicate it is supposed to delay them to give you time to prepare the defenses ... I got lucky that with a couple of the free lunch boxes I won for tasks I got some really powerful people ... it helps me in the exploring and defending

Have you upgraded the door on the vault ... first upgrade is 500 caps ... the help screens indicate it is supposed to delay them to give you time to prepare the defenses ... I got lucky that with a couple of the free lunch boxes I won for tasks I got some really powerful people ... it helps me in the exploring and defending

I dropped $5 on the game and got the caps necessary to upgrade the door as far as I can at my level. It does slow them down, and I have enough time to do it, but I'd rather just have dedicated gate guards, since pulling them for defense duty means they aren't working.

At least the game is smart enough to send them back to work after the raid is over (which is awesome)

I've also found that babysitting the game open is BAD. You don't get raids or radroach infestations while away as far as I have seen.

And nm about the stims and radpacks: I just imagined a higher threshold for their use.

I've also found that babysitting the game open is BAD. You don't get raids or radroach infestations while away as far as I have seen.

And nm about the stims and radpacks: I just imagined a higher threshold for their use.

If you have a reasonably low chance of failure and a person with high luck (or the requisite skill) working the room it is worth doing a rush every now and then (you get extra caps that way I think) ... I agree this is not a game to babysit (unless you are low on a critical resource) ... the extra events all happen when the app is open, not when it is idle ... best approach seems to be to find a strong dweller (usually from a lunchbox) and send them out for extended waste runs (they bring back lots of caps and stuff) ... it does seem to be a good strategy to let the workers level a few times in the vault (which improves their health) before sending them out for wasteland runs

If you have a reasonably low chance of failure and a person with high luck (or the requisite skill) working the room it is worth doing a rush every now and then (you get extra caps that way I think) ... I agree this is not a game to babysit (unless you are low on a critical resource) ... the extra events all happen when the app is open, not when it is idle ... best approach seems to be to find a strong dweller (usually from a lunchbox) and send them out for extended waste runs (they bring back lots of caps and stuff) ... it does seem to be a good strategy to let the workers level a few times in the vault (which improves their health) before sending them out for wasteland runs

I'm also beginning to suspect that the stats of mom and dad in part determine the stats of the kids.

Eugenics program: ENGAGED

I'm also beginning to suspect that the stats of mom and dad in part determine the stats of the kids.

Eugenics program: ENGAGED

Good to know ... I have only had three kids so far and none of them have matured to adult yet ... high charisma is important also but I got lucky and received nightwear (+3 CH) and formal wear (+2 I think) in a lunchbox ... I have all my workers working right now but I might put a few breeders back in the living quarters soon ... gotta keep Vault 666 on its feet :cool:

Also, I am close to the level where I will start to get the enhancement buildings but no idea what they cost or how long they take to complete the enhancements ... since I just built the radio room and it takes three hours to complete a broadcast I am suspecting that ability enhancement will start in hours and proceed rapidly to days (the help screen says you can raise them to 10 but it takes longer they higher the ability)

Now we know how they are going to keep us occupied until November ... it was all a trap :D

Also, I am close to the level where I will start to get the enhancement buildings but no idea what they cost or how long they take to complete the enhancements ... since I just built the radio room and it takes three hours to complete a broadcast I am suspecting that ability enhancement will start in hours and proceed rapidly to days (the help screen says you can raise them to 10 but it takes longer they higher the ability)

Now we know how they are going to keep us occupied until November ... it was all a trap :D

And I love it!
I'm actually hesitant to bring in any more dwellers. I have 20, with a kid and a pregnant lady, and near equilibrium with my food. I think I need to create a new diner first (I have a max-three cell diner)

And I love it!
I'm actually hesitant to bring in any more dwellers. I have 20, with a kid and a pregnant lady, and near equilibrium with my food. I think I need to create a new diner first (I have a max-three cell diner)

Water and food seem to be the toughest to balance ... I had some power crises at the start but now my double size power station is more than sufficient to keep up ... my triple diner is starting to lose ground so I built another one ... my triple water was also have issues so I built another of those ... and I only have 21 people

If you don't build too many rooms it would seem like 30 is going to be a sweet spot to have rooms staffed while you start to increase people's abilities

I suspect you're right. It's also going to be about juggling gear. So the +agility gear goes to people assigned to the diner, strength to the power station etc... wHich may conflict with my eventual defense staffing.

One funny thing ... I have two women working in the radio room ... since it is driven by Charisma I have both of them wearing Night wear for +3 CH (essentially a bikini in the game) ... I have become the Howard Stern of the Wasteland :eek: :D

Another bit of humor in the game ... I built a weight room and put two people in there to start increasing strength ... you have to zoom in to the room to see the timer on each person for the increase ... when I was zoomed in looking at them, one vault dweller says "Look sharp, the overseer is watching us" ... the other replied shocked, "What! You mean right now?" ... love that level of humor in games, reminds me of the famous Warcraft 2 "Zug Zug" and "Stop touching me" :D

Another bit of humor in the game ... I built a weight room and put two people in there to start increasing strength ... you have to zoom in to the room to see the timer on each person for the increase ... when I was zoomed in looking at them, one vault dweller says "Look sharp, the overseer is watching us" ... the other replied shocked, "What! You mean right now?" ... love that level of humor in games, reminds me of the famous Warcraft 2 "Zug Zug" and "Stop touching me" :D

Yea, the conversations are all pretty well done.
ALso, I learned my lesson. I accidentally left the game open and came back 15 minutes later to find half my vault dead. :-( Freakin radroaches. Luckily I had some decent cash reserves so i was able to res them, but UGH.

On a happier note, I've got 5 pregnant women and discovered that while they won't fight, they will work. So while they gestate, I'm going to be building up the beginnings of new power, water and food rooms.

Finally, I've discovered a flaw in my vault's design. I have three levels and the elevators connecting each are right by the vault door. DON'T DO THIS. Put the elevator shaft at the end of the second level so you create a funnel for raiders. They will use your elevators to go to other floors.
Luckily, I have enough guns for all my dwellers right now, so at least I can put up some resistance, they just aren't' armored well (lab coats don't deflect buster swords well).

Yea, the conversations are all pretty well done.
ALso, I learned my lesson. I accidentally left the game open and came back 15 minutes later to find half my vault dead. :-( Freakin radroaches. Luckily I had some decent cash reserves so i was able to res them, but UGH.

On a happier note, I've got 5 pregnant women and discovered that while they won't fight, they will work. So while they gestate, I'm going to be building up the beginnings of new power, water and food rooms.

Finally, I've discovered a flaw in my vault's design. I have three levels and the elevators connecting each are right by the vault door. DON'T DO THIS. Put the elevator shaft at the end of the second level so you create a funnel for raiders. They will use your elevators to go to other floors.
Luckily, I have enough guns for all my dwellers right now, so at least I can put up some resistance, they just aren't' armored well (lab coats don't deflect buster swords well).

Yeah ... I discovered that the pregnant residents will work last night also so it definitely changed my strategy ... I also tried having a person explore the wasteland overnight while I slept ... although they died, the resurrection cost was less than the amount of caps they collected so you net a profit by resurrecting them and recalling them ... I suspect they may change that in a future patch though

The ability increase rooms work well ... once you put someone in there they just keep working on increasing until you remove them ... the increase time seems to double for each increase ... my first two rooms for increases are for Strength and Agility so I should be able to stock my power and food production for maximum efficiency soon

One other item, once you get the ability increase rooms it is a good time to throw people in there and ignore the game (if you have sufficient reserves of resources built up) ... although your resource rooms are only harvesting when you poke them, the ability rooms and people in them keep working away ... so if you ignore the folks you throw in there while you are at work you can come back to find they have increased abilities by 2-4 points in the SPECIAL they were focused on :cool:

I already have quite a few people at level 10 or higher so if I can get some ability increases to go with that I should be able to send teams of people out into the wasteland soon :D

Yea, I have two people dedicated to wasteland work. Both are lvl 10ish, with E-6 or better gear. What I do is let them wander for about 4 hours. Right now, that gets them to the point where they aren't able to beat most monsters, and then I recall them. That's a 6 hour round trip, and I plan on doing two trips per day, keeping them at home at night in the ability rooms. Those two will be my first characters I focus on tanking up.

That said, i have a few male characters I am rotating through stud duty, getting 3-4 women pregnant at a time, making sure they are spread out in my base. It turns out, not only do they not fight raiders, but they don't fight radroaches or fires either. So having a room loaded with pregnant ladies is all but undefended.

Yea, I have two people dedicated to wasteland work. Both are lvl 10ish, with E-6 or better gear. What I do is let them wander for about 4 hours. Right now, that gets them to the point where they aren't able to beat most monsters, and then I recall them. That's a 6 hour round trip, and I plan on doing two trips per day, keeping them at home at night in the ability rooms. Those two will be my first characters I focus on tanking up.

That said, i have a few male characters I am rotating through stud duty, getting 3-4 women pregnant at a time, making sure they are spread out in my base. It turns out, not only do they not fight raiders, but they don't fight radroaches or fires either. So having a room loaded with pregnant ladies is all but undefended.

Has the Modred Eugenics program panned out ... do you have a vault filled with the master race now :D

Has the Modred Eugenics program panned out ... do you have a vault filled with the master race now :D

HAH. Not yet, I'm still experimenting, but not in as organized a manner as possible, or as I'd prefer. I think after today I will have a more stable second tier base, so I can start recording parental stats and comparing them with F1 stats. Once I get to F2, I'll know how kids are generated.

Records Keeping post:
Confessor Cromwell= 7 4 7 8 6 3 5
+
Kathryn Jenkins= 2 3 1 2 1 2 1
=
? Prediction: 2 3 1 3 1 2 1
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+
Anna Drake= 2 1 2 2 1 2 2
=
Eric Cromwell= 2 2 1 3 1 2 1 (So we see the rise of to 3 for Charisma, which was also C.Cromwell's top trait. Maybe the child inherits a +1 from each parent's best stat? Likely based on the lower of the two... And assuming that each parent has a stat larger than one of the other parent's stats. Becuase Anna had stats all lower than C. Cromwell's, the child didn't get a buff from her. Oddly, E went down, as did L)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+
Janet Hale= 3 2 1 2 2 1 2
=
Laura Hale= 1 1 2 3 2 1 2 (This is KIND OF what we would predict based on the above model: C. Cromwell's best stat is Charisma, with an 8. Since all of his stats are higher than Janet's, she will not contribute anything. The question is why the base stats are lower...So, both S and P went down (significantly in the case of S), but E went up. The rest remained the same.) These two F1 variants based on the same father are interesting. I wish I had a high end mother, all my top dwellers are men.

New model prediction:

Of the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stats (7), I wonder if there is a division of stat movement between staying the same, going up and going down. There is clearly no "floor" based off the lesser parent's stats. At least not at these lower levels. I'll cross Laura Hale and Eric Cromwell when they mature and see what happens.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+
Rachel Jenkins= 2 3 1 2 1 2 1
=
Kieth Jenkins= 2 3 1 1 1 2 2

Huh...
I'm going to put these in a Google spreadsheet later. It's hard to visualize here.

+
Axelle Jones= 1 2 2 1 3 1 2
=
Martha Jones= 1 1 2 3 2 1 2
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+
Judy Henriquez= 1 1 2 2 2 2 2
=
Amy Cromwell= 1 2 2 3 2 1 1

Last edited:
Note, I'm going to assume that gear that upgrades stats does not impact inheritance.

Note, I'm going to assume that gear that upgrades stats does not impact inheritance.

Unless they have a bug that would be a reasonable assumption I would think ... I would also hope that the modified stats through the rooms do improve their genetic transference and it is not based on their original stats (as most of my dwellers started low)

I am kind of in a stat building mode right now ... trying to build people and rotate them through the rooms ... don't want to spend too much time with the game since I have a lot of work this week ... also, I haven't seen any daily bonuses (although they describe that in the help screens) ... not sure if I am missing something, there is a bug, or they they decided not to include it

Unless they have a bug that would be a reasonable assumption I would think ... I would also hope that the modified stats through the rooms do improve their genetic transference and it is not based on their original stats (as most of my dwellers started low)

I am kind of in a stat building mode right now ... trying to build people and rotate them through the rooms ... don't want to spend too much time with the game since I have a lot of work this week ... also, I haven't seen any daily bonuses (although they describe that in the help screens) ... not sure if I am missing something, there is a bug, or they they decided not to include it

You have to actually have had the game running for a full day. I didn't get my 1st day feedback until this morning. B+. I suspect you need to get an A to get a bonus, and I think they mentioned weekly bonuses if you check in every day

You have to actually have had the game running for a full day. I didn't get my 1st day feedback until this morning. B+. I suspect you need to get an A to get a bonus, and I think they mentioned weekly bonuses if you check in every day

I got B+ also ... I hadn't realized there was another tab on the objectives page :) ... I had 87% ... I think your grade is based on the overall happiness ... I had a bonus at the bottom of the meter (it was like 120 caps or something) but I had to touch it ... my next rating is in 16 hours

Last edited:
I have an objective now to have 10 babies ... postponing that a while until I develop my dwellers a bit more ... 2nd day bonus was 130 caps ... I got 90%/A- but I had to put several high charisma people in the radio room to raise happiness ...

you do make money faster once you start putting your people in the ability building rooms ... you receive caps every time a dweller levels or has an ability increase ... I also got a higher level dweller from a lunchbox (Three Dog ... level 27) ... he had high abilities so I am using him to explore the wilderness now

I have an objective now to have 10 babies ... postponing that a while until I develop my dwellers a bit more ... 2nd day bonus was 130 caps ... I got 90%/A- but I had to put several high charisma people in the radio room to raise happiness ...

you do make money faster once you start putting your people in the ability building rooms ... you receive caps every time a dweller levels or has an ability increase ... I also got a higher level dweller from a lunchbox (Three Dog ... level 27) ... he had high abilities so I am using him to explore the wilderness now

Yea, right now, tbh, my lowest resource is gear for my people. I'm upping to 3 scavengers, and training a fourth, maybe a fifth. I'm also getting money by grinding rushes. I do have to offset the unhappiness generated via pregnant women and a 2-cell radio station with 2 people in fancy PJs, will add a third when one of my current scavengers returns.

But I'm dingind the same re the SPECIAL rooms. I'm upping them all to 2-cell lvl1s and will be doing a training regime. I have all my training rooms stacked on top of one another. Each Character starts at the bottom and will gain two points per room before moving up the next. At the top, they go to breed and then to work.

Three Dog (the high level dweller I got from a lunchbox) is going strong outdoors ... he is coming up on 7.5 hours ... I think I will recall him after 9 or 10 ... stuff he has found isn't that good (not sure which stat regulates the stuff you find or if it is all random) but he has leveled a couple of times and will come back with more than 1000 caps

I almost wish they had a sandbox mode of some sort where you could turn off disasters and watch ... it is fun to read what the dwellers say sometimes but dangerous to leave the game open observing them

Last edited:
Up to 56 Dwellers in my Vault now with a couple of quests that are going to require further expansion (a 5 baby objective and a 12 couples dancing in living quarters objective) ... have three folks out exploring the wasteland with one slated to stay out 9 hours (to satisfy the third objective) ... a little harder to manage with 50+ people if you want to keep them all busy ... third day bonus was 130 caps

I'm up to 60.
FYI, when it says, have X number dwellers dancing, it does NOT have to be all the same time, and they dance prior to breeding, so just get 12 women pregnant and you're good.

I'm continuing my training regimen, moving folks from the bottom of my room stack to the top, training each person to 4 in each SPECIAL category.

The biggest two things, though, is arming everyone and getting two people with Mean Green Machines near the front door. They can handle a raiding party all on their own, and radroaches are no longer an issue unless they spawn in my training area (which they don't seem to do)

I'm up to 60.
FYI, when it says, have X number dwellers dancing, it does NOT have to be all the same time, and they dance prior to breeding, so just get 12 women pregnant and you're good.

I'm continuing my training regimen, moving folks from the bottom of my room stack to the top, training each person to 4 in each SPECIAL category.

Since you are at 60, how does the nuclear reactor work ... power is always the area I run closest to the limit ... does it help with generation and storage

I JUSt got it like 5 minutes ago, so I haven't' had time to really figure it out. Power is starting to be an issue, so I'm hoping it will help.

Finally got my nuclear reactor ... I am not using it for generation yet since my other two fully upgraded power plants exceed it's output ... however, the storage increase was tremendous ... I am trying to get a triple with single upgrade but I made the mistake of upgrading my double first so I need to upgrade the other single before I can merge ... up around 90% happiness when I have the radio station fully manned ... might need to abandon my personal Eugenics attempts and put the unhappy people in the living quarters (since doing the Wild Thing seems to keep them happy :) )

The triple reactor with a single upgrade outproduces my double powerplant with two upgrades (so I moved all my folks down) ... might be awhile before I upgrade the triple reactor though (it is 18,000 caps for that upgrade :eek: ) ... and I am only 6 dwellers away from a garden ... happiness dropped for my daily bonus though ... I think I will need to keep the app open on the weekend when it is bonus time to micromanage happiness and keep it as high as possible :cool:

How do you guys deal with RAD-cockroaches in double upgraded tripple rooms? They seem insanely powerfull. And how do you deal with random RAD-cockroach infestations that spread to different rooms? I once nearly had everybody die to that.

Since I have loads of 5+ damage guns the problem somewhat got manageble. But holy shit there were tough times.

Raider attacks are so easy to fight though. I don't even pay attention to them anymore lol. The game devs should balance the enemies better imho.

Happiness through sex seems to work ... I got a bunch of my 81% happy people up to 100% by doing the nasty with each other ... however, I don't want to keep growing my population that fast (still have about a dozen 81% folks and the babies are all 50%) ... it did raise my overall happiness to 95% though (up 5 points) so I think if I put some of them to work, keep the radio staffed at full strength, and manage the bonus transition tomorrow then I should be able to collect a nice bonus for the next day :)

LOL. I also abandoned eugenics, as it seems MUCH slwoer than simply training people. I've also stopped using the radio to call people, because they are always 1s and 2s lowlifes.I'm going to stick at around 60 dwellers while I train everyone up to 4 on each SEPCIAL stat. Should mean a more efficient vault. No more feeding mouths of 1 and 2-stat lumps.

How do you guys deal with RAD-cockroaches in double upgraded tripple rooms? They seem insanely powerfull. And how do you deal with random RAD-cockroach infestations that spread to different rooms? I once nearly had everybody die to that.

Since I have loads of 5+ damage guns the problem somewhat got manageble. But holy shit there were tough times.

Raider attacks are so easy to fight though. I don't even pay attention to them anymore lol. The game devs should balance the enemies better imho.

Most of the people in my triple rooms are armed and wearing outfits ... I have my high powered weapons spread out among the different levels ... if the room with the roaches is unoccupied I immediately dispatch 2-3 of my stronger fighters ... if the room with roaches isn't full I might dispatch an extra person or two to fight them (they return when they are done) ... if the room is full and people armed I just let them have at it

Don't forget to heal up after ... have lots of stims for healing ... people do automatically heal when they level but it can be dangerous to wait sometimes

Micromanaging with lots of stims. Plus lots of raiding for better weapons. Sticking someone win with an 18 damage mean green machine makes life easier. :D

Back