EVGA going officially under?

AlexisRO

Limp Gawd
https://www.techpowerup.com/310955/evga-withdraws-from-the-motherboard-market

Korean overclocker Safedisc, writing on Coolenjoy tech forums, stated that the company's entire 170-strong workforce in its Taiwan office involved in the motherboard business, have resigned, including KINGPIN.

Can't say i'm surprised one bit of this development after their GPU departure. Don't think they never made a big dent when selling mobos compared to the more seasoned players, except maybe the X58 lineup.

Not surprising but unfortunate since I have several months worth of warranty left on my 3080 of anything goes wrong with it :(. Also have a 1600w platinum psu of theirs with many years of warranty left. So much for that...

lol I just got a promo email from them last week advertising a bunch of 10-year PSUs.
Shitty thing to do if they are heading for the door.

evgapsusale.png

I found it interesting that there are no new component parts available on their website for several weeks now. Nothing "in stock". No new GPU's, power supplies, MB's or coolers. Just some odd ball accessories. No B stock sales lately, either. Writing is on the wall. Reminds me of Fry's electronics at the end.

Sad day. We could’ve really used a non-trash motherboard maker. That is if the rumors are true anyway.
Aside from the few custom boards EVGA designed, I think they were all just rebranded ASRock boards, weren't they?

I hope it's not true. Have a 3080 ti with 782 days of warranty left. Already replaced once with the same model...
Similar here, I know the one fan sounds like crap since i got the card but i just run them above 60% to stop the weird sound it produces. Going to REALLY regret that 3080ti purchase more than i already did when i saw the 4090 come out 6 months later for the same price i paid.

I hope it's not true. Have a 3080 ti with 782 days of warranty left. Already replaced once with the same model...
I'm at 648 days.
If they announce they're dropping all service I will flip the card immediately and get a 4070. I don't use GPUs out of warranty, not for a single second.

EVGA is probably the most popular PSU vendor in the country, maybe behind Corsair. A lot of 10 year warranties will get shafted. Their CEO is going to end up on a lot of shit lists...

https://www.techpowerup.com/310955/evga-withdraws-from-the-motherboard-market

Korean overclocker Safedisc, writing on Coolenjoy tech forums, stated that the company's entire 170-strong workforce in its Taiwan office involved in the motherboard business, have resigned, including KINGPIN.

Can't say i'm surprised one bit of this development after their GPU departure. Don't think they never made a big dent when selling mobos compared to the more seasoned players, except maybe the X58 lineup.
So they've finally de-CLASSIFIED this info.
Sad times.

For those who didn't bother to open the page and read the article ;)

Update 07:45 UTC: We've heard from workers at EVGA Spain "it's just another day at the office". So maybe it was only Kingpin/the OC team in TW that has resigned, or the whole story is completely untrue.

Even before the update I find it hard to believe that 175 people all resign at once. Unless there is some culture difference over there I seriously doubt the entire team would be in a financial situation where they could just leave.

For those who didn't bother to open the page and read the article ;)

Update 07:45 UTC: We've heard from workers at EVGA Spain "it's just another day at the office". So maybe it was only Kingpin/the OC team in TW that has resigned, or the whole story is completely untrue.

Even before the update I find it hard to believe that 175 people all resign at once. Unless there is some culture difference over there I seriously doubt the entire team would be in a financial situation where they could just leave.
GN Steve already confirmed their entire bios team left the company a few weeks ago.
Can't make mobos without a bios.

https://forums.evga.com/EVGA-ending-motherboard-designmanufacturing-m3608304.aspx

Anyway has someone tried contacting Kingpin himself? Shouldn't be too hard.

Last edited:
They can just use AI to generate a BIOS! /sarc

Seriously though, there are people out there who can do it, and tools to make it easier. They just need to advertise the jobs and set the pay appropriately (assuming they are not shutting the doors).

I'm at 648 days.
If they announce they're dropping all service I will flip the card immediately and get a 4070. I don't use GPUs out of warranty, not for a single second.

EVGA is probably the most popular PSU vendor in the country, maybe behind Corsair. A lot of 10 year warranties will get shafted. Their CEO is going to end up on a lot of shit lists...
So when your car warranty is over you just abandon your car? How about your AC on your home or the warranty on your lawnmower etc...

Warranties are promises that as long as a company stays in business they will honor thier workmanship. You will probably get many years out of your nonnwarrantied GPU still.

So when your car warranty is over you just abandon your car? How about your AC on your home or the warranty on your lawnmower etc...

Warranties are promises that as long as a company stays in business they will honor thier workmanship. You will probably get many years out of your nonnwarrantied GPU still.

It's called 'helping the economy'. It's rough out there, let him help 👍

They are going the way of BFG that offered too generous a warranty program.
I remember them going under circa 2010, and they also had excellent products.
Farewell eVGA, you will be missed.

Absolutely no one at all ever saw this coming

BFG, EVGA...

I'm on a MSI card now so expect them to go out of business next 👌
Ugh, lets hope not. :dead:

As a surprise to no one. That writing was on the wall when they burned the only department that made them any money to the ground.
They make much more money per power supply then they ever did with GPUs.
Not surprising but unfortunate since I have several months worth of warranty left on my 3080 of anything goes wrong with it :(. Also have a 1600w platinum psu of theirs with many years of warranty left. So much for that...
There are dozens of EVGA power supplies, in stock, "sold by newegg" on Neweggs site. Amazon same story. In my own experiance with one of their motherboards I hated the BIOS. I'm not saying it wasn't a decent board but I had zero interest in another EVGA motherboard. So if their only audience was hardcore overclockers I can see their future being bleak. Most of these new CPUs can't overclock worth a damn w/o LN2.

the only department that made them any money to the ground.
Is that actually true? I would have expected the money to be in all the accessories like CLCs and keyboards and stuff, but I guess maybe they don't actually sell that many of those, despite offering them.

I had been on eVGA for every single video card since my 8800GTX... with my 4090 went with MSI Suprim X series and have not been disappointed. I was sad to see eVGA dip from the GPU market, I always like their cards and never had a single issue over the years with them. Most their business was probably loyal GPU customers based on how things are going with them now. That being said, if this 4090 holds up till 2025 5xxx series release, MSI will be my goto on video cards till they screw up something... lol. The writing was on the wall with eVGA when they dipped, they are not going to survive in this market on only PSU's, Mobo's and other components.

Most their business was probably loyal GPU customers based on how things are going with them now.
They stopped because NVIDIA changed their license agreements and would no longer allow for out-of-spec modifications to their original designs, which was eVGA's signature design.
It's very similar to what SoftBank is doing with its new license and design restrictions on ARM - lets hope this trend doesn't continue.

They stopped because NVIDIA changed their license agreements and would no longer allow for out-of-spec modifications to their original designs, which was eVGA's signature design.
It's very similar to what SoftBank is doing with its new license and design restrictions on ARM - lets hope this trend doesn't continue.
Even so, it was a silly business move on eVGA's part... even with restrictions most eVGA customers would have still bought their cards, I know I would have.

Even so, it was a silly business move on eVGA's part... even with restrictions most eVGA customers would have still bought their cards, I know I would have.
Agreed, but maybe they knew something we didn't.
I could be remembering wrong, but I think NVIDIA's fees or required returns for the licensing/chips went up as well, making this generation potentially less profitable for resellers, which may have also had a hand in this.

I had a lot of EVGA cards in various/multiple machines over the years 😬

FX 5200

6800GT

7600 GT

8800 GTS 320MB

9800 GT

GT 210

GTX 550

GTX 650

GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB

GTX 750 Ti

GTX 970 FTW

RTX 2070 Ultra

RTX 3060 Ti

Agreed, but maybe they knew something we didn't.
I could be remembering wrong, but I think NVIDIA's fees or required returns for the licensing/chips went up as well, making this generation potentially less profitable for resellers, which may have also had a hand in this.
Yeah, couldn't say, most of us are outside looking in on why they did what they did... but seems odd still to me, MSI, ASUS, PNY, Gigabyte... all compete within the same realm (sometimes even less so) and they did not dip out. Then again, maybe they are managed better and can absorb the costs, dunno.

Is that actually true? I would have expected the money to be in all the accessories like CLCs and keyboards and stuff, but I guess maybe they don't actually sell that many of those, despite offering them.

EVGA's margin on GPUs was small. They make more money on accessories and power supplies. There's no gaurantee their GPU audience will pivot to other EVGA products, but I plan on using their power supplies when possible.

Only in China, according to the rumor
The rumor also goes on to say that once Intel turned to the "first-tier manufacturers we knew" and Team Green became aware of this, NVIDIA began to threaten its partners that if they took on Intel, then NV would no longer work with them, and they would not receive chips ...
First-tier manufacturers is the key term: do they mean "First-tier in China only" (like Colorful), or the big worldwide names like ASUS, MSI, etc?

The rumor also goes on to say that once Intel turned to the "first-tier manufacturers we knew" and Team Green became aware of this, NVIDIA began to threaten its partners that if they took on Intel, then NV would no longer work with them, and they would not receive chips ...
First-tier manufacturers is the key term: do they mean "First-tier in China only" (like Colorful), or the big worldwide names like ASUS, MSI, etc?

When/if Battlemage exists on shelves - check out who makes both Intel + Nvidia GPUs in the US (and China I guess)

If I had to guess and assume it's true - with the chip war heating up in China with US banning products/GPUs, Nvidia is 'fighting'/doing Nvidia things for all of the little pie there is/what will be left in China.

If you are surprised then you are naive ...

All the stuff about "EVGA still sells PSU's..." and "EVGA will still offer warranty on GPU's".. its all smoke & mirrors or a dog & pony show, if you prefer that term. It was only a matter of time..

Another "EVGA"-like will rise from the abyss and takes its place... another will fall... and so on... and so on...

Probably a bad time to try to RMA my trash Z20 keyboard.

Dam, that's some sad news. I just sent in my 3080 yesterday for RMA which they approved this past Wednesday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I always had multiple issues with EVGA warranty service, in terms of them shipping either the same exact damaged card back (supposedly though it was a different card yet magically with the same serial number and GPU issue), to them sending actual, other damaged cards back to me as RMA supposedly working replacement cards

Either by the 2nd or 3rd time they did this (yes they sent the same exact and damaged card back to me multiple times claiming it was a different card each time, or sent me multiple different damaged cards as replacements, on different and multiple instances) they would send me a NIB upgrade/replacement card, or I had to bypass RMA and email corporate to tell them what BS was going on, with documentation, to then get a NIB upgrade card from them

The actual service part of the warranty/service center has been shit since around 2010 IMO - only reason I stuck with them was because after an email or two I often ended up with a NIB free upgrade 😆

Back