EVGA Dark (New X79)

BatJoe

Gawd
X79 still strong. Looks pretty sweet. Retail comes in July.

DARK_hero_shot.png

The EVGA X79 Dark is a reimagined EVGA X79 platform. Rebuilt from the ground up, this motherboard has a number of firsts, creating a landmark platform for PC enthusiasts everywhere.

It starts with a full 12 Layer PCB, improving overall overclock stability and PCB cooling. The memory trace layout is optimized for compatibility, improved overclocking and full 8 DIMM memory support. The CPU VRM is redesigned, using the best industry IR power stages, for efficient power to your CPU. The PCI-E layout is improved, better lane distribution for better performance + PCI-E 3.0 compatibility, and 4-Way SLI support in E-ATX form factor. A slew of great onboard devices including additional 4 Port SATA 6G controller for a total of 6 SATA 6G ports, Dual Intel Gigabit LAN’s and a USB 3.0 controller for a total of 6 USB 3.0 devices.

The GUI BIOS has been completely redesigned. This brand new GUI BIOS from EVGA was focused on functionality so you can get in, and get out. No splash screens to click through, no enormous menus to scroll through, no steep learning curve. The way a modern BIOS should be.

http://www.evga.com/articles/00758/

Looks very intresting... Would like to see a review but i think im sold on one...lol

Asus just launched the P9X79-E WS last month... :rolleyes:

That is one feature packed motherboard (p9x79-e ws). I would assume that some manufacturers will release a handful of updated motherboards, around the ivy-e launch.

I love my Big Bang II except for the slow boot, but that's okay :)

The P9X79-E WS should overclock just fine though. I have (but have been trying to sell FOREVER) the previous version, P9X79 WS and I couldn't tell much difference between it and the RIVE for overclocking in normal air-cooling situations.

The P9X79-E WS should overclock just fine though. I have (but have been trying to sell FOREVER) the previous version, P9X79 WS and I couldn't tell much difference between it and the RIVE for overclocking in normal air-cooling situations.

The EVGA Dark should theoretically overclock better as it has more phases.

The EVGA Dark should theoretically overclock better as it has more phases.

Which phases are they using? More phases doesn't equal better overclocking, it's the quality of them that matters.

I'm really struggling with this atm.

I've currently running an X58 with a 920 atm, and the upgrade bug has seriously started eating away at me.

I'm running a few SSD's at the 3gbs when they should be at 6gbs. I've got no USB 3.0 support and a USB 3.0 keyboard (k90) that likes to work when it wants. I'm also running 2 GTX 780's at 5760X1200 at PCIE 2.0, when they could be at 3.0. All this in a Cosmos 1 case that sounds like a leaf blower and cools as well as my toaster.

So here's what's up....I've got a Corsair AIR 540 on its way at some point. I've got a 360 rad, pump and reservoir sitting next to me. I've got IVY Bridge E releasing in two months.

My problem....... Do I go up to Fry's and drop 1300 bucks on a Big Bang, 3930k and 32gb of ram.

Do I wait on the Dark to see if its worth while, then pop in an IBE when it drops?

Do I wait on the Dark, buy it along with a 3930k, then sell the 3930k when IBE releases and buy a 4930k or whatever it will be called?

The Big Bang would match the copper piping I'm planning on installing in my LC setup in the air pretty well........

Decisions decisions.

I'm really struggling with this atm.

I've currently running an X58 with a 920 atm, and the upgrade bug has seriously started eating away at me.

I'm running a few SSD's at the 3gbs when they should be at 6gbs. I've got no USB 3.0 support and a USB 3.0 keyboard (k90) that likes to work when it wants. I'm also running 2 GTX 780's at 5760X1200 at PCIE 2.0, when they could be at 3.0. All this in a Cosmos 1 case that sounds like a leaf blower and cools as well as my toaster.

So here's what's up....I've got a Corsair AIR 540 on its way at some point. I've got a 360 rad, pump and reservoir sitting next to me. I've got IVY Bridge E releasing in two months.

My problem....... Do I go up to Fry's and drop 1300 bucks on a Big Bang, 3930k and 32gb of ram.

Do I wait on the Dark to see if its worth while, then pop in an IBE when it drops?

Do I wait on the Dark, buy it along with a 3930k, then sell the 3930k when IBE releases and buy a 4930k or whatever it will be called?

The Big Bang would match the copper piping I'm planning on installing in my LC setup in the air pretty well........

Decisions decisions.
I am in the exact same situation. See my sig. I am waiting on Ivy-E and see the reviews on current motherboards before I make any decisions.

It's now available at newegg. It's pricey though, coming in at $399.99.

I'm hoping other motherboard manufacturers release some updated/refreshed x79 mobo's, as I might pick up a 4930k once released.

Heh, like a few others have stated I've got the upgrade bug too with my sights on Ivy-E. My mobo supports USB 3 and SATA 3, but the SATA 3 controller is garbage.

So I've got a 840 Pro stuck at SATA 2 speeds and 2x GTX 780s hanging out in PCI-E 2, though both are in16x slots so I'm not sure I'll see much performance increase I'll see going to PCI-E 3. I'm not even sure I'll notice much of a performance increase going with an Ivy-E CPU. Soooo, I could be dropping lots of $$$ mostly for SATA 3...hah!

That said, this looks like a great candidate for my upgrade...$400 though, ouch.

Heh, like a few others have stated I've got the upgrade bug too with my sights on Ivy-E. My mobo supports USB 3 and SATA 3, but the SATA 3 controller is garbage.

So I've got a 840 Pro stuck at SATA 2 speeds and 2x GTX 780s hanging out in PCI-E 2, though both are in16x slots so I'm not sure I'll see much performance increase I'll see going to PCI-E 3. I'm not even sure I'll notice much of a performance increase going with an Ivy-E CPU. Soooo, I could be dropping lots of $$$ mostly for SATA 3...hah!

That said, this looks like a great candidate for my upgrade...$400 though, ouch.

If you want to drop money just for SATA3, this is the way to go: http://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9B-16-118-219

or spend $100 more on the 8i.

I have been looking at building a new box and this may just be part of the incentive...

Is native PCIE3 better than using this board if one was to say use only 2 cards in SLI? Does a fancy Z87 have any advantages once ivy-e comes out?

I hope [H]ardForum reviews this board soon. A comparison between the Asus Rampage IV Extreme and the MSI Big Bang XPower II would be nice.

Anyone else notice its a 6pin mobo connector, not 4 or 8 like normal, and its at the bottom of the mobo too.

Anyone else notice its a 6pin mobo connector, not 4 or 8 like normal, and its at the bottom of the mobo too.

It's for extra power to the PCI express slots (2-4 way SLI). My RE-IV from Asus has it also, just in a different place. If you haven't heard some people have burnt their 24 pin connections because of this. EVGA also created 'Power Boost' for the boards that do not have the extra molex or 6 pin for supplementary power. I'm using one of those on my P9x79 since it has a 690 and GTX 580 doing f@h.

Folks over at the EVGA forum received a X79 Dark.
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?&m=1966012&mpage=13
No issues reported so far, he likes the BIOS, some install issue w/Eleet-X (tuning utility qpi/voltage),
he spotted a beta IVY-E config in BIOS 3.

reported he's running:
Intel i7-3930k @4.6ghz 1.39V vdroop off: idle temp 38c fully loaded 50c (liquid cooled).
EVGA GTX Titan SC@1125mhz 2way SLI(x16x16gen3) 25c idle 38-40c fully loaded (liquid cooled).
G.Skill RipJawsZ 16GB 2133mhz, XMP 1.3 Profile.
2x Acer HN274H 1920x1080@120Hz, Corsair AX1200i, Soundblaster Z.

Folks over at the EVGA forum received a X79 Dark.
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?&m=1966012&mpage=13
No issues reported so far, he likes the BIOS, some install issue w/Eleet-X (tuning utility qpi/voltage),
he spotted a beta IVY-E config in BIOS 3.

reported he's running:
Intel i7-3930k @4.6ghz 1.39V vdroop off: idle temp 38c fully loaded 50c (liquid cooled).
EVGA GTX Titan SC@1125mhz 2way SLI(x16x16gen3) 25c idle 38-40c fully loaded (liquid cooled).
G.Skill RipJawsZ 16GB 2133mhz, XMP 1.3 Profile.
2x Acer HN274H 1920x1080@120Hz, Corsair AX1200i, Soundblaster Z.

Meh.......

My ASUS Rampage IV Formula has the same exact CPU at the same speed, SLi'd GTX 780s.

I can't remember the last time [H] reviewed ANYTHING EVGA.:eek:

I think Ryan at PC Perspective got a board in, but they haven't written up a review yet.

Meh.......

My ASUS Rampage IV Formula has the same exact CPU at the same speed, SLi'd GTX 780s.

I can't remember the last time [H] reviewed ANYTHING EVGA.:eek:

Yeah, its a nice looking board, but I'm running my 3930k at the same speed too, with less voltage. Same mobo as you too. I don't think the Dark will be a good upgrade for current X79 owners, unless you have the cash to burn and just want something new.

Is this a newer development, ie, in the last few years? I know they had a serious change up in personnel over at EVGA which is one of the reasons I stopped buying as much from them.

I can't remember the last time I've seen an evga product get reviewed here (not counting their horrendously priced psu). So I'm guessing this is something that goes a few years.

Most review sites, rely on receiving samples from manufacturers for reviews.

I am guessing their OEM products suffer from some QC issues that [H] knows about but EVGA doesn't want revealed. Oh well shame really.. I'll still buy their GPU's for the warranty coverage.

I am guessing their OEM products suffer from some QC issues that [H] knows about but EVGA doesn't want revealed. Oh well shame really.. I'll still buy their GPU's for the warranty coverage.

I find it odd that there are no "independent" reviews after launch. I also read a few EVGA forum posts complaining about SATA, USB3 port and NIC (not working when CPU overclocked) problems.

I'd hold off putting down $400 on one of these things without any reviews to go on at all.

Hmmm, yeah, that doesn't sound so promising, I'm certainly in a wait and see position right now. Ideally we'll see at least a couple more boards come out along with the new CPUs in the next few weeks anyways.

This looks to be a great aesthetically looking board, but in the recent years, we have seen more problems with EVGA boards. This is coming from someone that has used multiple EVGA boards from the P67 to the Z68 era...

I hope they have fixed most of the minor bugs that are in the BIOS like they had with the older X79 classified..

But with a $399.99 price tag.. it seems kind of steep.

anyone else have this board? I just got it a few days ago so far so good for me. Only problem is the fan headers are mostly located at the very bottom, odd :/

anyone else have this board? I just got it a few days ago so far so good for me. Only problem is the fan headers are mostly located at the very bottom, odd :/

I've got one. Board is solid, but like you said the fan headers are a bit odd. I will be constructing a WC loop anyway though so I won't need it in a bit. Had an odd occurrence of having to reset CMOS on cold-boots every time seemingly because of an incompatibility or some error with the board/RAM. Every time I set the XMP profile for the RAM (1.35v, 1600MHz), it would get stuck on a b7 error after starting up from a shut down. I just got around it by leaving the voltage on default and then later just OCed the RAM.

I know EVGA's rep is terrible for mobos due to their last iteration of motherboards for the x79 platform and I fortunately don't have the experience of owning one of those boards, but I've owned about 4 x79 motherboards (2 ASUS, 1 Gigabyte, and this one) and this board is just as good and better in some aspects than the others.

Back