Every desirable video card model is now OOS tonight. Unreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still true on 12/28.

Newegg doesn't have a single Nvidia 3xxx card or AMD 6xxx card in stock as of right now.
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007709 601359511 601357282
I am not sure why you think this is not going to continue for a while. AMD and NVIDIA together are not making enough cards to satisfy the $500 to $1000 TAM for Q4. AMD never had plans to fill the entire TAM, which why should it considering NV competition? And NVIDIA walked away from their market share.

They still aren't filling the lower end market well either. I snagged in ONE 1660 Super card from Newegg of all places at normal price last week ($250), they're all gone again unless you want to pay $350-450 through a no-name seller.

I am not sure why you think this is not going to continue for a while. AMD and NVIDIA together are not making enough cards to satisfy the $500 to $1000 TAM for Q4. AMD never had plans to fill the entire TAM, which why should it considering NV competition? And NVIDIA walked away from their market share.
Do you think Nvidia will not end up selling at least 4 card for any AMD card in Q4 in that price range ?

No idea what that even means.
https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

When the December number will come out when we will add up all the $500-$1000 card movements, you think it will be how many new Nvidia card in that price range for every new AMD card will we see ? If it will be less than 4 ? Only 2 ? 1:1 or even more AMD cards ?

In discrete GPUS, Q3 2020:

jpr27127.png

If Nvidia did quit the $500-$1000 market share, do you think the lower discrete GPU will sustains Nvidia position or when the Q4'20 numbers will come out, because lower GPU was kind of hard to buy for older model and the lower priced GPU not out yet on the new model we will see a significant shift of market share toward AMD ?

I, for one, did not think there would be this kind of shortage with all the options trickling out around the same time.

At this point we have Xbox Series X, and S, PS5, AMD 6xxx cards and Nvidia 3XXX cards. And you can't buy any of them at will.

I don't remember a time like this - ever.

2017/2018 GPU mining shortage made it really hard to get a GPU, but not this hard. I was still able to snag quite a few with legit dilligence. I still don't have a single 3080 at this point, and I've tried factors harder than I ever tried in 2017/2018 to snag dozens of GPUs.

I expected demand to be diluted by now -- where maybe there wasn't stock on shelves, sure -- but wasn't expecting that any of these products sell out in milliseconds of coming into stock - across all four vendors/lines and that websites like newegg and bestbuy and B&H, EVGA, etc would still be crashing 3-4 months after initial release at any advertised card drop. I would expect $500 3070 cards to be lingering on shelfs - as they aren't the value proposition that the $700 3080 cards are. (Asus Tuf, Gigabyte Eagle, etc). I wouldn't have expected 3080 video cards to still be fetching $300-$400 over retail on ebay all day long every day.

Now that Crypto profits are coming back due to BTC's recent surge - - the demand is going to get worse not better. Most of the miners I know, including myself, had hung up our hat for a while, when the mining profits weren't enough to offset the electricity cost. Now, I'm seeing the spark ignite again as profits are once again looking lucrative. Cards are mining for 4-5x electricity cost once again.
Crypto miners don't want one card like gamers. They want dozens of cards! Supply couldn't even keep up with gamer demand to this point.

Last edited:
I, for one, did not think there would be this kind of shortage with all the options trickling out around the same time.

At this point we have Xbox Series X, and S, PS5, AMD 6xxx cards and Nvidia 3XXX cards. And you can't buy any of them at will.

2017/2018 GPU mining shortage made it really hard to get a GPU, but not this hard. I was still able to snag quite a few with legit dilligence. I still don't have a 3080 at this point, and I've tried factors harder than I ever tried in 2017/2018 to get a GPU.

I expected demand to be diluted by now -- where maybe there wasn't stock on shelves, sure -- but not that any of these products sell out in milliseconds of coming into stock - across all four vendors/lines. I would expect $500 3070 cards to be lingering on shelfs - as they aren't the value proposition that the $700 3080 cards are. (Asus Tuf, Gigabyte Eagle, etc).
This is easily the hardest time I have ever had getting a new product. Usually I can get the latest consoles or video card by persistence and a bit of luck. Not this time.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

When the December number will come out when we will add up all the $500-$1000 card movements, you think it will be how many new Nvidia card in that price range for every new AMD card will we see ? If it will be less than 4 ? Only 2 ? 1:1 or even more AMD cards ?

In discrete GPUS, Q3 2020:

View attachment 313656

If Nvidia did quit the $500-$1000 market share, do you think the lower discrete GPU will sustains Nvidia position or when the Q4'20 numbers will come out, because lower GPU was kind of hard to buy for older model and the lower priced GPU not out yet on the new model we will see a significant shift of market share toward AMD ?
No clue, I don't analyze any of that data as I find it is not terribly reliable.

No clue, I don't analyze any of that data as I find it is not terribly reliable.
Does any of this really matter? Sure it's "fun" to bellyache about Red and Green until we are blue in our virtual faces. But not to put too fine a point on it, so freakin what? I've read that the cryptominers are now in the market for more cards due to the price of Bitcoin, that stuck-at-home consumers are wanting to upgrade their systems, that AMD supply is going to the console makers first, etc. Oh, and scalpers have all these bots to buy up all available inventory. Again, so freakin' what. Us ordinary Joes are just a bunch of shlubs who either overpay a lot, or just waitm regardless of the reason(s) for the shortage.

Ok, now that's off my chest. I feel worse now, because I'm so powerless here.

Does any of this really matter? Sure it's "fun" to bellyache about Red and Green until we are blue in our virtual faces. But not to put too fine a point on it, so freakin what? I've read that the cryptominers are now in the market for more cards due to the price of Bitcoin, that stuck-at-home consumers are wanting to upgrade their systems, that AMD supply is going to the console makers first, etc. Oh, and scalpers have all these bots to buy up all available inventory. Again, so freakin' what. Us ordinary Joes are just a bunch of shlubs who either overpay a lot, or just waitm regardless of the reason(s) for the shortage.

Ok, now that's off my chest. I feel worse now, because I'm so powerless here.
Yep. Supply far outstripping demand. Just remember that AMD nerfed it's RDNA 2 GPUs so those would not be attractive to miners.

Screenshot_20201229-091442.png

As time goes on I am becoming increasingly nervous that if my current card craps out, there's zero way for me to replace it. My local Micro Center occasionally gets in shipments of 5700 XT's and 5600 XT's, but otherwise its HD 7750's and old Quadro cards, or RX 550's. You might see a 1660 Ti or 1650 hit here and there. Oh and you better believe those are all still their old MSRP's.

We had a GTX 970 crap out ion the house right before the scarcity of older cards started and all I had to do was pop over to MC and grab a 1660 to replace it with, no problem. Now? Good luck. Guess I will scour Craigslist, Facebook, or eBay and pay out the nose if it comes to it.

2017/2018 GPU mining shortage made it really hard to get a GPU, but not this hard. I was still able to snag quite a few with legit dilligence. I still don't have a single 3080 at this point, and I've tried factors harder than I ever tried in 2017/2018 to snag dozens of GPUs.

I expected demand to be diluted by now -- where maybe there wasn't stock on shelves, sure -- but wasn't expecting that any of these products sell out in milliseconds of coming into stock - across all four vendors/lines and that websites like newegg and bestbuy and B&H, EVGA, etc would still be crashing 3-4 months after initial release at any advertised card drop. I would expect $500 3070 cards to be lingering on shelfs - as they aren't the value proposition that the $700 3080 cards are. (Asus Tuf, Gigabyte Eagle, etc). I wouldn't have expected 3080 video cards to still be fetching $300-$400 over retail on ebay all day long every day.

Now that Crypto profits are coming back due to BTC's recent surge - - the demand is going to get worse not better. Most of the miners I know, including myself, had hung up our hat for a while, when the mining profits weren't enough to offset the electricity cost. Now, I'm seeing the spark ignite again as profits are once again looking lucrative. Cards are mining for 4-5x electricity cost once again.
Crypto miners don't want one card like gamers. They want dozens of cards! Supply couldn't even keep up with gamer demand to this point.
Crazy isn't it. Have to wonder if this is going to be a new thing for all new future high-end PC releases or if it's just an aberration. This type of hording/scalping/reselling has been taking place for years for other consumer goods (typically rare or limited exotic items) so maybe we're seeing it now in this market segment, and perhaps permanently.

COVID was likely the tipping-point or trigger as it stressed the component supply chain with companies being shut down. This limited the supply initially for many electronic items, and impacted our work where we had difficulty securely what were common parts such as caps and resistors for our circuit boards. Then you have stimulus checks which people openly boast about using to buy luxury items - it was free money to many people who could now blow it on a high end thing they wouldn't normally be able to afford. And there's another round of free cash coming. COVID also taught everyone about hording and probably fed into the FOMO mentality. Also seems like everyone wants to be a scalper to make a few extra bucks. Again, thanks to COVID, many have the ability to be online all day, "working" remote, along with having the ability to easily use bot apps and scraping sites to quickly find in-stock items. I see so many individuals jumping on the scalping bandwagon and there's even some trying to sell inflated goods in the [H] buy and sell forums. Everyone wants to make a quick buck, and now they have the means which they did not have back in 2017/2018.

Would be interesting to somehow compare the number of scalped goods currently available for sale versus the demand. Impossible, yes, but certainly interesting.

Last edited:
Honestly I threw in the towel weeks ago... my immediate urge to upgrade is past.

I could run over to Central Computers this afternoon and pick up an over priced 3090... simply refuse to pay those prices.

First video card to become widely available for regular retail price will get my hard earned smack... not a centabo more.

Still waiting for a 3090 at MSRP!
They're the easiest to get now relative to others if you follow Discord alerts. Even the coveted Strix 3090 typically has a large 10-second window before it's OOS on Amazon (yes that's a big window)

At MSRP? Nope. Not that I can see. Only scalpers wanting $2300'ish. Sad...
Have to handle the AIBs being a bit more expensive, but several I've seen were cost + tax + shipping + tiny amount ($30-50), which IMHO, is fair - they're not profiting, they're passing them on.

Thx for replies - I'm seeing a number of older/stale posts close or at MSRP but not current ones at least for the brands I am interested in that have no issues. Have replied to sellers to see if any are still avail or just dead posts.

Edit: just double-checked and I don't see any at or near MSRP that's for sure. That's fine as these are opportunistic times.

Last edited:
Honestly I threw in the towel weeks ago... my immediate urge to upgrade is past.

Same here, I'm playing 2016 games on my new system with an old card and not all jonesing for the new card anymore. I wonder if the game companies are seeing any loss of revenue from people not buying games without the latest cards...

I know a couple mom and pop chains that have gpus. I'm not going buy right now bc I really don't like the rumors of 2021 gpus with more vram.

It's not a need I have to feed right now since Cyberpunk is so broken. Everything else I play I'm at competitive settings.

I have this feeling there's a speed increase coming.
I swear Nvidia and AMD are sandbagging like drag racers trying to hustle each other during high school drag nite.

Do you mean the 3080ti with 20gb RAM? But that's going to cost quite a bit more, and so far everyone keeps saying how 10gb will be enough for the life of the card anyway

Do you mean the 3080ti with 20gb RAM? But that's going to cost quite a bit more, and so far everyone keeps saying how 10gb will be enough for the life of the card anyway
Probably $1k msrp vs the $700 of the plain 3080. I got an evga 3080 FTW3 hybrid (240mm AIO) for $779 before tax, so a great deal for that card. Paying $300+ more for vram I won't use for years seems silly when that's halfway towards a next gen card. And who knows how long before those will be available.... Maybe a Feb launch, maybe later and stock will go fast as hell on the 3080ti just like the original 3080.

Probably $1k msrp vs the $700 of the plain 3080. I got an evga 3080 FTW3 hybrid (240mm AIO) for $779 before tax, so a great deal for that card. Paying $300+ more for vram I won't use for years seems silly when that's halfway towards a next gen card. And who knows how long before those will be available.... Maybe a Feb launch, maybe later and stock will go fast as hell on the 3080ti just like the original 3080.
Also depends on which rumor is correct...

Will it be a 3080 die with more vram? Or will it be close to a 3090 die with less vram and smaller bus?

I'd jump for the latter, but the 3080 with just more vram would be a waste for $300 more.

Will it be a 3080 die with more vram? Or will it be close to a 3090 die with less vram and smaller bus?

I'd jump for the latter, but the 3080 with just more vram would be a waste for $300 more.
Even if it does have more cores, it'll only be at maximum 10 percent faster like the 3090 assuming the narrower bus doesn't affect perf (which it probably would). I'm saving my money for a 4xxx or 5xxx card personally. :)

To be honest 3090 even at just $300 more than a 3080 doesn't sound like a great deal to me :cautious: A gimped 3090 even less so
The (gaming) performance jump is just too small!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back