Epic Game Launcher sending lots of data

They were the exclusive storefront for a period of time.
More so; they already had a preorder system setup in Steam long before the Epic store announcement, so preorders had to be cancelled. Physical 'Steam' copies sold at the time, directed to the Epic store after install.

It just wasn't a good look.

How is it very anti-consumer? They offer free games every week and have sales that are as good as Steam’s which also allow you to apply coupon codes they randomly drop your way. I don’t like a lot of the stuff Epic did early, and I certainly don’t like it what the article posted in the OP says, but from a consumer standpoint, Epic is actually doing a lot of good things, and it’s great to have a viable competitor to Steam that isn’t tied to any one game studio.
I say they are anit consumer because they don't allow you to actually own the product. It has to be installed through their game store. You simply can't just download the .exe file and store it on your PC. (If you can then please tell me how because I looked)

Also, those free games, like a poster said before me, yeah they're "free", but notice the checkbox allowing them to take information from you at checkout. Again, you're not buying the game so you're the product.

And, the exclusive storefront deals really pissed me off. Because they've gotten so rich with Fortnite, they can pretty much hand a developer and untold amount of money and tell them to be an Epic exclusive title. That is VERY anti consumer, and borderline monopolization, every company should have the ability and right to compete for business.

Last edited:
I have a number of games purchased through Epic GS unfortunately, so I guess I'll be waiting for a fix.

GOG has become far and away my favorite launcher. Steam is alright, but the interface feels about 15 years old at this point. GOG does a much better job importing games from other launchers/platforms than Steam. I just launch all my Epic games through GOG.

I say they are anit consumer because they don't allow you to actually own the product. It has to be installed through their game store. You simply can't just download the .exe file and store it on your PC. (If you can then please tell me how because I looked)

Also, those free games, like a poster said before me, yeah they're "free", but notice the checkbox allowing them to take information from you at checkout. Again, you're not buying the game so you're the product.

And, the exclusive storefront deals really pissed me off. Because they've gotten so rich with Fortnite, they can pretty much hand a developer and untold amount of money and tell them to be an Epic exclusive title. That is VERY anti consumer, and borderline monopolization, every company should have the ability and right to compete for business.

Are you crying about an optional checkbox that isn't even checked by default to share your email address with the developer?

1609181411421.png

1) Ever since publishers moved to digital, guess what? You don’t own ANY of your games. You pay for a key, which is basically a license to play. If you don’t own the physical disk to play offline on a computer that doesn’t have an internet connection, you don’t actually “own” the game, and even if you did, once you load it up now, the company is probably going to force you to route through some type of online platform, where they can deactivate your key if they choose for whatever reason. This is not unique to Epic.

2) I never check that box when I download free games on Epic. It’s optional.

3) Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft have done this for years in the console space. I don’t personally like it, but it’s not nearly the big deal you’re making it out to be. I don’t buy games via pre-order or early release, unless it’s a multiplayer title where time matters because you want to play while people are still on the servers. In any case, Epic’s exclusives have not been any more expensive than they otherwise would be, so the biggest consequence is that you download another launcher. Who cares? I bought Metro Exodus with all expansions on Epic about two months ago for $18 CAD, stacking their sale price with a coupon. Sounds good to me.

None of what you’re complaining about here is either accurate or unique to Epic.

1) Ever since publishers moved to digital, guess what? You don’t own ANY of your games. You pay for a key, which is basically a license to play. If you don’t own the physical disk to play offline on a computer that doesn’t have an internet connection, you don’t actually “own” the game, and even if you did, once you load it up now, the company is probably going to force you to route through some type of online platform, where they can deactivate your key if they choose for whatever reason. This is not unique to Epic.

2) I never check that box when I download free games on Epic. It’s optional.

3) Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft have done this for years in the console space. I don’t personally like it, but it’s not nearly the big deal you’re making it out to be. I don’t buy games via pre-order or early release, unless it’s a multiplayer title where time matters because you want to play while people are still on the servers. In any case, Epic’s exclusives have not been any more expensive than they otherwise would be, so the biggest consequence is that you download another launcher. Who cares? I bought Metro Exodus with all expansions on Epic about two months ago for $18 CAD, stacking their sale price with a coupon. Sounds good to me.

None of what you’re complaining about here is either accurate or unique to Epic.

If nothing of what I say is accurate then why did you find the need to agree with me? Read your own response.

GOG is the only company I have seen that doesn't force you through their online platform.

Took a look after work and with everything open in my system tray, Epic is using 1.5-2% of CPU doing nothing. GOG and Steam both sitting at 0.0 to 0.1%.

It amzes me how just a couple percent CPU utilization can raise temps 10-20c

I like what they are doing being an alternative to steam and providing free games that steam can't be bothered to do with their billions. They need to work on the bad PR they keep getting though.

...blocking the sales of 3rd party keys (which they seem to have stopped now for the most part) .

Stopped being an issue after around 6 weeks.

Are you crying about an optional checkbox that isn't even checked by default to share your email address with the developer?

View attachment 313464

I understand why they do it. Developers/publishers give out free games as a form of marketing, not because they're being nice. Still, I don't click on it. If a game is good enough I'll probably remember it when it comes time for a sequel or another game.

Reactions: Mega6
like this
Definitely poor cooling!
Taco uses alienware 120mm(or 140?) water cooler nd it doesn't evn warm up with epic running. Nd having 6 core 12 thread business class cpu is no joke!
It's the difference between running boost clocks and not running boost clocks. EGS keeps the CPU at boost "just in case" it actually does something demanding. It probably also affects Ryzen more since it is more ramp happy

Stopped being an issue after around 6 weeks.
Now now, let's make that 12 months at least. The last epic exclusive game you couldn't get 3rd party keys for was control, at least that I know of.

What happened with Metro Exodus?

The game's publisher made the game exclusive to Epic's PC game store literally 10 days before game launch. For the boxed copies they sold they had to frantically put Epic game codes into the boxes. If you pre-ordered on Steam you got to keep your Steam copy but anyone else would have to wait a year or buy it on Epic.

Similar situations happened with Mechwarrior 5 and Phoenix Point. They just weren't as short notice as 10 days before release. Although in MW5 I believe the devs inked a deal with Epic and then lied about it for 3-4 months before announcing it, all while still taking in kickstarter money saying the game would be Steam key.

You know if this alleged bug was preventing kids from buying Fortnite Vbucks, this would've been fixed in five minutes.

Alas, this is probably just programming ineptitude and the store animations not being hardware accelerated and falling back to CPU, not nefarious scanning of your drive or something. Not that this company could be trusted not to do that. Nefarious shit doesn't necessarily need CPU power (hi Microsoft!)

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Epos7
like this
Now now, let's make that 12 months at least. The last epic exclusive game you couldn't get 3rd party keys for was control, at least that I know of.

~5-6 weeks after release I was seeing Exodus for sale on multiple stores.

I updated to 11.0.2 earlier today and its now using less than 0.5% cpu compared to the average of 3.5% previously, comp now idling at expected temps too. down 5-7c overall when running vs closed.
I cant speak to their shady data collection this thread is based off of so I'll continue to keep it closed but if it truly was a bug it appears to be resolved, at least for me.

I have over 150 free games from Epic, have yet to install the launcher here...

I do have GOG Galaxy, does downloading/launching EGS games through that make a difference? I've only used it for Origin and Uplay (may use it for steam, but honestly Steam isn't too annoying)

I have over 150 free games from Epic, have yet to install the launcher here...

I do have GOG Galaxy, does downloading/launching EGS games through that make a difference? I've only used it for Origin and Uplay (may use it for steam, but honestly Steam isn't too annoying)
No, GOG just acts as a shortcut repository basically. All it does is automate launching EGS/Steam for you followed by the game. It's no different than you doing it with a mouse. Steam/EGS still has to be installed and stay running on the system.

It can auto shutdown the launcher after your game ends, too, but it's still running in the background while the game runs.

Last edited by a moderator:
~5-6 weeks after release I was seeing Exodus for sale on multiple stores.
Exudus was the exception, because it was slated for a steam release, it was available on relase at 3rd parties, because they already sent out steam codes, that they converted to epic codes before launch. That's why it was available at 3rd parties. I actually bought one at a 3rd party on release day. Little did I know then that no other game will be available at 3rd party stores that are epic exclusive. Exodus was the first big exclusive title that started it all.

Back