Epic Game Launcher sending lots of data

Tim said:

View attachment 313189
And whatever data they collect they use it to enhance user experience I think.
I'm sorry, but Epic is completely full of crap. Tencent isn't a "minority investor". So Tim saying this in the first place is a huge red flag of dishonesty. Tencent owns nearly half of Epic. HALF. There's nothing minor about that. Maybe a "minority investor" means something magically different in Epic vernacular than in basic English, but I don't think that's the case. I have a feeling China is a getting a lion's share of this data.

I think Epic games offers a great service, but their blatant dishonesty makes me want nothing to do with them.

I'm sorry, but Epic is completely full of crap. Tencent isn't a "minority investor". So Tim saying this in the first place is a huge red flag of dishonesty. Tencent owns nearly half of Epic. HALF. There's nothing minor about that. Maybe a "minority investor" means something magically different in Epic vernacular than in basic English, but I don't think that's the case. I have a feeling China is a getting a lion's share of this data.

I think Epic games offers a great service, but their blatant dishonesty makes me want nothing to do with them.

Its less than half, therefore he is right. Everything else he said is true as well. Your feels don't dictate terms. :p

Feel free to return back to your scheduled clickbait though.

It uses about 50% of one of the cores of my 9900k which seems a bit silly but I'm pretty sure origin and you play have done that before in the past.

tried this out, here's the results:

Utilization went from 3% to 8% (steady)
CPU temp went from 21C to 34C

does seem to be an interesting change. I have games I play that run in that temp range while I'm playing them

Anyone with Intel CPUs experiencing this? So far I only seen reports from Ryzen 5000 owners
edit: Intel as well

Last edited by a moderator:
So since I installed EGS, I got the following for FREE:

GTA V
Civilization VI
Alan Wake
ARK: Survival Evolved
AC: Syndicate
Batman Arkham Series (all 3 games)
Borderlands 2 / Pre-sequel
Cities:Skylines
Darksiders 2
Hitman
Just Cause 4
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Metro 2033 Redux
Pillars of Eternity
Subnautica
Watch Dogs 1 and 2
World War Z
...and many other random indie titles

How exactly is that anti-customer again?
When you're given stuff for free.
You are what's being sold.

They're obviously mining data, but I don't consider this a surprise at all. I expect basically everything to mine data these days. They're just doing a poor job about it and using up enough resources that its easily noticeable. Nothing they're mining is probably remotely as invasive as what Google, Amazon or Facebook are doing unless they're hooking into other browsers or skimming cookies, which it doesn't look like.

The reason this affects AMD CPUs the most is probably the same reason that running monitoring software increases the temps of AMD hardware, it constantly wakes up "sleeping" cores basically to check on them and never allows true sleep. My computer never sleeps due to all my background tasks so that's probably why I don't notice any temp increase (but I also "idle" at 45C or so because of these tasks.)

I just reinstalled all my game launchers the other day on a fresh build and the only one that would not install properly was the Epic. . . . must be a sign from above not to install it.

Anyone with Intel CPUs experiencing this? So far I only seen reports from Ryzen 5000 owners
edit: Intel as well
My temps didn't change much (i5-8400) but look at the power draws with/without epic :D

with out egs
1609115805158.png

with egs
1609115830367.png

people are just god damn stupid man, can’t fix them all. Always someone complaining about something. Basically, if it’s not steam, it’s trash. So dumb.
I'm God damn stupid because I have an opinion of a company? A warranted option at that...

Well, fuck off dude. I don't particularly care for Steam either these days, but they're still better than Epics shitty storefront.

I'm God damn stupid because I have an opinion of a company? A warranted option at that...

Well, fuck off dude. I don't particularly care for Steam either these days, but they're still better than Epics shitty storefront.

What a nice guy lol.

Exactly, they are dishonest. And you can bet, with a 40% share in the company Tencent works shenanigans behind the scenes.

Makes you wonder if they're sending so much, what are they taking?

Personally I trust Epic as far as I can throw them so they definitely don't get the benefit of the doubt from me but at best this further proves that their launcher is a buggy piece of shit. Not that it's an issue for me since I haven't had it installed for quite some time.

I also do take issue with Sweeney's take that tencent is just one of many minor share holders, 40% isn't a controlling interest but it's not just another small investor like he made it sound.

What a nice guy lol.
You're the one that's throwing around the ad hominen attacks. Instead of adding anything constructive to the conversation you made a blanket claim that anyone disagreeing is "god damn stupid" and then proceeded to put words in their mouth implying that they're steam fanboys.

I see a lot of just.... wrong.... thoughts here.

The free games? Theres that little check box that I bet 99% of people will check on the checkout page that says "Click here to share information with xxxxx publisher for marketing and other purposes".
If you dont check it, they dont share, you dont get used, and you get the game anyway. Its just located so that if you dont read waht it says, youll click it thinking its "click here to confirm" or something. They arent twisting words about not selling your information - the fact is, the massive bulk of people are too impatient to read that one sentence and realize you dont have to check the box, so yes, your info is being used - its not being sold by EGS, but by you for clicking the box that states you agree to give it to whatever company or publisher.

You can download and run games without DRM through EGS, the same as through steam. You can not download and run any game from steam without steam running, as probably 90% of the steam offerings require the client to authenticate ownership on launch - its simple DRM, and stating that EGS is different and anti-consumer because it is literally the EXACT SAME DRM as steam in the games that require it, and not in the games that dont use it, is bunk. If you want a no launcher system, GOG is the only offering I am aware of where you can get just an exe file to install the game and be done with it.

Someone said "throttling". If your system throttles, it has nothing to do with a launcher, you need better cooling. No system should EVER throttle. Throttling was added because before that, the CPU just fried itself, and people were too dumb to take care of it themselves, so the chip makers added throttling so that people would scream and cry less when they didnt set up cooling correctly and fried their brand new chip. You should *never encounter throttling*. If you do, its *your fault* for having inadequate cooling.

I noticed a few weeks ago epic was using 1-5% of my CPU, and started closing it after I was done using it for whatever. I dont pay attention to temps, so I dont know if it raised temps or not.
I will also add, I have recieved over 50 free games from epic since I started using it, some of which are AAA titles. This doesnt buy my loyalty, nor my trust - but it does ensure that every thursday (Or more often depending on events like right now where theres 1 a day), Ill open the launcher, claim my 1-2 games, and call it a day.

If it uses 1-5% when Im playing a game, I dont notice its impact at all, so in the end, I really dont care. I dont notice an impact when its open no matter what Im doing. I just close it because I though "Well thats a little much for something I havent actively clicked or opened today that just auto started with windows..."

If you are honestly upset about a launcher using CPU, close it. If you're still upset about it after making it stop, be thankful you dont have anything worse in your life to be upset about.

Exactly, they are dishonest. And you can bet, with a 40% share in the company Tencent works shenanigans behind the scenes.

Makes you wonder if they're sending so much, what are they taking?

I am a very nice guy. Until some dipshit calls me stupid for having an opinion about a video game store.

I bet you're a Gamestop fan too.

Damn, someone higher up the Epic games company literally must have pee'd in this guys butt.

And holy shit, i didnt even know you existed or were in this thread until now. My post wasnt aimed at anyone in particular at all. But there you have it, my theory stands.

Not the first time EGS and Epic was accused of mining data. Won't be the last time either, they will "fix" this then months or year down the line turn it back on. I can't really trust epic considering they willingly got in bed with the CCP's premier gaming company all about spreading the CCP's values and agenda. They say minority investor and lots of investors but when Tencent owns literally half the company how many other investors do you have?

I see a lot of just.... wrong.... thoughts here.

The free games? Theres that little check box that I bet 99% of people will check on the checkout page that says "Click here to share information with xxxxx publisher for marketing and other purposes".
There ya go. Nothing is free. If you're not buying the product. You ARE the product.

Damn, someone higher up the Epic games company literally must have pee'd in this guys butt.

And holy shit, i didnt even know you existed or were in this thread until now. My post wasnt aimed at anyone in particular at all. But there you have it, my theory stands.
"people are just god damn stupid man, can’t fix them all".

Its ok, I forgive you. I guess we are all wound up a little these days.

There ya go. Nothing is free. If you're not buying the product. You ARE the product.

And it has nothing to do with grabbing data from you either. Free game = free advertising. The hope is that people remember the IP/publisher and come back to buy something in the future. Ubisoft does this to. In Ubisoft's case, they give the base game and probably hope people come back and buy the DLC. Obviously it works to some extent.

Stricly speaking, someone who's less than a 50% owner is, in fact, a minority owner, as in, they don't own the majority of the stock.
Yes, I get that not owning more than 50% means that they technically don't have a say ... except this is Tencent ... who has dipped their hands into literally everything. That's something that shouldn't be ignored. And whether you want to believe Epic or not that's up to you. I find it hard to believe they're being honest after that crap they pulled with Apple.

Yes, I get that not owning more than 50% means that they technically don't have a say ... except this is Tencent ... who has dipped their hands into literally everything. That's something that shouldn't be ignored. And whether you want to believe Epic or not that's up to you. I find it hard to believe they're being honest after that crap they pulled with Apple.
40% means they have a very big say, and only need to sway a few really small investors in their favor to get their way. If they had over 50% it would mean they have the final say in everything, the rest can go screw themselves, they can't oppose anything tencent wants, even if they banded together.

/end thread
And whtat does DRM that have to do with the thread at hand? DRM existed long before epic store or steam. Whoever says epic is worse because of DRM is delusional. No, epic is worse because of lacking features and anti-consumer behaviour like exclusivity deals, and blocking the sales of 3rd party keys (which they seem to have stopped now for the most part) .

I noticed a few weeks ago epic was using 1-5% of my CPU, and started closing it after I was done using it for whatever. I dont pay attention to temps, so I dont know if it raised temps or not.
I will also add, I have recieved over 50 free games from epic since I started using it, some of which are AAA titles. This doesnt buy my loyalty, nor my trust - but it does ensure that every thursday (Or more often depending on events like right now where theres 1 a day), Ill open the launcher, claim my 1-2 games, and call it a day.

If it uses 1-5% when Im playing a game, I dont notice its impact at all, so in the end, I really dont care. I dont notice an impact when its open no matter what Im doing. I just close it because I though "Well thats a little much for something I havent actively clicked or opened today that just auto started with windows..."

If you are honestly upset about a launcher using CPU, close it. If you're still upset about it after making it stop, be thankful you dont have anything worse in your life to be upset about.
The outrage over the issue is pretty laughable. But a solution to an actual, confirmed bug shouldn't be "just close it."

There's a reason why the launcher uses more system resources than any other launcher in an idle state. Nefarious or not, bugs should be addressed.

Reactions: Epos7
like this
And whtat does DRM that have to do with the thread at hand? DRM existed long before epic store or steam. Whoever says epic is worse because of DRM is delusional. No, epic is worse because of lacking features and anti-consumer behaviour like exclusivity deals, and blocking the sales of 3rd party keys (which they seem to have stopped now for the most part) .
My quote was a joke because someone pointed out how much better GOG is in regards to being pro-consumer, and anti-DRM.

Unlike a videocard, you don't need to use a certain game launcher to enjoy your computer. I watched Tencent's integration with EPIC destroy Paragon, a game I had already logged over a thousand hours in since alpha, and the musical chairs of office positions it caused. If anyone think Tencent doesn't get what it wants is out of their mind. I'm not defending epic or steam, I think if you buy a game, the developer no longer owns your activity in said game, as is written into most sales through online game launcher stores. If a game isn't online multiplayer, using a launcher to start it is already BS. If you can't play your purchase offline, then you don't own your game, you own access to said game.

Valve created the formula, for online monitoring of anyone accessing their games with Half Life 2 that required you to be logged into steam to play it. While it made game purchases and connecting with friends easier than ever, you no longer owned your games but merely access to them. The amount of data Valve was able to collect by you merely being logged into their service, your shopping behaviors, friends links, ect, could have been more valuable than the game sales. Epic will continue to be happy to give away the retail section of their business if it enables them to get the same access to consumer behaviors that valve has had a monopoly on since early 2000s. And now we're meandered back to the topic at hand, Epic collecting data and what they do with it. They make money off it, and will continue collecting as much of it as they can get.

I don't go to bed with no whore and I don't wake up with no whore. Close your launchers when not in use people.
Whaddaya mean? Pretty sure we are all whores...

Closing the launcher isn't likely to solve it, if the launcher has to be opened to play any of the games.
On the free games: They aren't really free. Epic paid those game devs up-front to sell x amount (copies or dollars worth, forget which) of their game. Game dev's take the money and often a shitty (for gamers) exclusivity deal. Epic "gives the game away" while using that to deduct from the money/copies of the game they already paid for.

They are spending the bookoo Fortnite dollars to get other games/game dev's to put their games exclusively on Epic. Trying to build up a user base to compete with steam. On the face you can say it's pro-consumer (woo free shit!) but it's just business.

Tried the EGS over Christmas for the free games. I did not like it at all. Very anti customer. Glad I uninstalled it.

How is it very anti-consumer? They offer free games every week and have sales that are as good as Steam’s which also allow you to apply coupon codes they randomly drop your way. I don’t like a lot of the stuff Epic did early, and I certainly don’t like it what the article posted in the OP says, but from a consumer standpoint, Epic is actually doing a lot of good things, and it’s great to have a viable competitor to Steam that isn’t tied to any one game studio.

So since I installed EGS, I got the following for FREE:

GTA V
Civilization VI
Alan Wake
ARK: Survival Evolved
AC: Syndicate
Batman Arkham Series (all 3 games)
Borderlands 2 / Pre-sequel
Cities:Skylines
Darksiders 2
Hitman
Just Cause 4
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Metro 2033 Redux
Pillars of Eternity
Subnautica
Watch Dogs 1 and 2
World War Z
...and many other random indie titles

How exactly is that anti-customer again?

People are going complain about Epic being anti-consumer because of the whole Metro Exodus thing. These are most likely the same people who constantly complain about AMD having bad drivers for their video cards despite not owning one since their old ATI Rage 128.

People are going complain about Epic being anti-consumer because of the whole Metro Exodus thing. These are most likely the same people who constantly complain about AMD having bad drivers for their video cards despite not owning one since their old ATI Rage 128.
What happened with Metro Exodus?

Back