EK in hot water again?

Watched that last night. I bought an EK Nucleus 360 about a week ago. Still haven't installed it, though. Probably should return it.

My last system was a 100% custom EK setup, it was beautiful then about 8 months in the impeller on the pump blew and the whole thing exploded spewing coolant I just about every direction inside the case.
Only thing ruined was my desk a lovely solid Canadian Maple piece, stained it red like it had been soaked in CoolAid. Restoring that cost more than rebuilding the system.

You'd think their reputation would matter to them.
When you're circling the bankruptcy drain - as implied by not paying anyone - it's a bit late to worry about anything like that. Not paying employees is the sort of thing that triggers swift govt action, if they're at that point I expect the news that they're being forcibly shut down to appear soon.

Not paying employees is the sort of thing that triggers swift govt action
This is the kind of thing that puts CEOs in jail...or causes them to flee the country and disappear after looting the bank accounts.

I have an EK AIO that had a weird pump whine and after some use one of the fans died. It was still under warranty, after some verification they sent me a brand new unit and didn't even want the old one back. So my experience with them has been pretty positive. This was probably a year or so ago, maybe less.

Of course, if they are treating their employees and vendors like this then yeah, that is really shitty.

I am very suspicious of many techtubers but if this is accurate that's unfortunate. However after watching how some of those channels posted here reacted to the AMD firmware/AGESA/mobo issues last year, it appears they're less than dispassionate journalistic integrity driven than a lot of drama, DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM ONE WORD FROM ME YOU ARE OVER-ing, and other sorts of behavior that isn't always in the best faith. This is not to say that all they do is necessarily bad or inaccurate, but some of the conclusions they draw or the way they approach things can be. Certainly its bad if EK acts poorly, but given how these channels have acted being ready to return our hardware, get out the torches and pitchforks etc... the moment one of these channels breaks a "big story" is exactly what these creators seem to want, so I'd want to see how things develop before making a decision.

If the only way for EK to wash their dirty hands is, as Jay says, selling their brand, who would buy? Who could afford them? Corsair? Thermaltake? NZXT?

Maybe the 4D chess move is to transfer ownership only to transfer (buy?) it back later when the dust settles. What if they created an alternate company just for that reason?

I wonder how EK treats their enterprise customers?

So many questions...

Brands like EK suffer triple when global money dries up. Let's be honest, their product is prestige nonsense that has a pretty damned small market, especially with air cooling being so damned good now. I'm long done with water cooling and I was doing it 30 years ago with Tupperware, fish tank parts, and heater cores.

If I was a company like Corsair, I would buy the desiccated corpse after it withers for a while.. or they get desperate enough...

And AIOs by companies like Arctic being cheaper and arguably better.
They are not better but are considerably cheaper for the performance difference. In my last build I stopped doing custom WC. I just don't feel it worth the cost and energy anymore.

They are not better but are considerably cheaper for the performance difference. In my last build I stopped doing custom WC. I just don't feel it worth the cost and energy anymore.
I meant compared to EK AIOs, sorry - that's all I have experience with from them.

There have been some serious questions about EK's product quality for a while now. I don't want to call it cutting corners, but there's a certain stink of doing things in a hurry.

If the only way for EK to wash their dirty hands is, as Jay says, selling their brand, who would buy? Who could afford them? Corsair? Thermaltake? NZXT?

Maybe the 4D chess move is to transfer ownership only to transfer (buy?) it back later when the dust settles. What if they created an alternate company just for that reason?

I wonder how EK treats their enterprise customers?

So many questions...
They already have created another company to move stock around and fill warehouses with product that’s not moving. At least according to GN.

Never bought EK. Too pricey. Sometimes you "get what you pay for", but from the issues I've heard about them it doesn't seem to be the case here.

I am very suspicious of many techtubers but if this is accurate that's unfortunate. However after watching how some of those channels posted here reacted to the AMD firmware/AGESA/mobo issues last year, it appears they're less than dispassionate journalistic integrity driven than a lot of drama, DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM ONE WORD FROM ME YOU ARE OVER-ing, and other sorts of behavior that isn't always in the best faith. This is not to say that all they do is necessarily bad or inaccurate, but some of the conclusions they draw or the way they approach things can be. Certainly its bad if EK acts poorly, but given how these channels have acted being ready to return our hardware, get out the torches and pitchforks etc... the moment one of these channels breaks a "big story" is exactly what these creators seem to want, so I'd want to see how things develop before making a decision.
Companies reap what they sow - more often than not the amount of "drama" is proportional to the amount of cow manure in the communications coming from the company in question.

Kinda amusing how EK's version of damage control is to delete threads on their subreddit that talk about GN's video. Certainly not a good look when they're trying to shut down the discussion rather than respond to it. Definitely lends merit to the theory that EK is trying to silence anyone that speaks out about it.

Kinda amusing how EK's version of damage control is to delete threads on their subreddit that talk about GN's video. Certainly not a good look when they're trying to shut down the discussion rather than respond to it. Definitely lends merit to the theory that EK is trying to silence anyone that speaks out about it.
Reddit is a censor happy place, generally, though. I'm glad I moved away from EK AIOs- was considering them a while ago - I didn't know they were a shady company. Their rep is ruined and can't see any other scenario than them selling off what they can and going under - while those at the top of their business chain running away with what profits they can - like another poster said.
With that all said, what AIO to get? :)

Reddit is a censor happy place, generally, though. I'm glad I moved away from EK AIOs- was considering them a while ago - I didn't know they were a shady company. Their rep is ruined and can't see any other scenario than them selling off what they can and going under - while those at the top of their business chain running away with what profits they can - like another poster said.
Can't go wrong with the Thermalright 360s for $60ish.

That's sad. EK has always had the most availability with the most extensive catalog of products for different GPUs and cpus. The bigger the company the more they think they can get away with sometimes, unfortunate.

Unless you really need the simplicity or preconfigured disco lights, my usual answer here is "none". Go grab a D5, a radiator that matches your desired case size (I like full tower cases with a 420mm rad myself), a tube rez for easy filling, and a waterblock. Much higher quality in the end, simply swap out the water block when you change MB / CPU, and it will last basically forever. I'm still rocking a D5 (from 2012) and a Thermochill 120.3 (from, uhh, 2004 maybe?) and 6x Gentle Typhoons in one system, and I just swap the block and MB every now and then.

That said, I did pickup an h150i quite a while ago so I could play with one and have a recommandation for friends and faimly that aren't going to do a custom loop. I'm not sure I'd recommend that anymore, though - for most of those use cases, a Phantom Spirit is way less money and reasonable performace - and it will never have a pump failure.

Unless you really need the simplicity or preconfigured disco lights, my usual answer here is "none". Go grab a D5, a radiator that matches your desired case size (I like full tower cases with a 420mm rad myself), a tube rez for easy filling, and a waterblock. Much higher quality in the end, simply swap out the water block when you change MB / CPU, and it will last basically forever. I'm still rocking a D5 (from 2012) and a Thermochill 120.3 (from, uhh, 2004 maybe?) and 6x Gentle Typhoons in one system, and I just swap the block and MB every now and then.

That said, I did pickup an h150i quite a while ago so I could play with one and have a recommandation for friends and faimly that aren't going to do a custom loop. I'm not sure I'd recommend that anymore, though - for most of those use cases, a Phantom Spirit is way less money and reasonable performace - and it will never have a pump failure.
When you can get a 360mm AIO for $60 it's really hard to tell people to go custom loop. It's really only for the hobby aspect of it nowadays.

This.
D5 pumps will last well past any Asetek junk.
As long as you *never* let them run dry. Even cavitate.

That's sad. EK has always had the most availability with the most extensive catalog of products for different GPUs and cpus. The bigger the company the more they think they can get away with sometimes, unfortunate.
That's their main issue. So much time and money spent making a huge number of SKUs. All of which require minimum purchase amounts to make then profitable. And when they don't sell they are left holding tons of inventory. Its a terrible business model which is ultimately at the root of all their troubles.

When you can get a 360mm AIO for $60 it's really hard to tell people to go custom loop. It's really only for the hobby aspect of it nowadays.
My split is currently: Either go Peerless Assassin / Phantom Spirit for <$40, or grab a D5 and a good rad and you'll have the core of a WC setup basically forever that will outperform those aluminum AIOs.

My split is currently: Either go Peerless Assassin / Phantom Spirit for <$40, or grab a D5 and a good rad and you'll have the core of a WC setup basically forever that will outperform those aluminum AIOs.
Odd outlook but okay.

Back