EA Stock Soars On Buyout Rumors

HardOCP News

[H] News
Someone wants to buy EA? Who says winning the award for "most hated company in America" is a bad thing. ;) Thanks to Balkroth for the heads up!

Free-to-play developer/publisher Nexon could be looking to buy Electronic Arts. According to Bloomberg, which picked up on the news from a Korean newspaper, Nexon "has contacted EA about making an offer." No word on whether this would see EA absorbed or merged.

I know this guy who knows this guy who heard from this Korean guy that this other guy is having a thought.

EA has like 3 times the revenue of this company... and they're going to buy them out?

"EA Stock Soars On Buyout Rumors" ....which goes to show how successful people think it would be if SOMEONE ELSE ran it :D

i find it interesting.. that the forbes article says nexon is a bigger publisher then EA...

If I had the money I would buy EA and shut them down. Or, I would keep them alive but not allow them to make any more of the big name games they are reselling as new versions.

Or, better yet I would stop production of every game they have going on and make them do a Dungeon Keeper 3.

RIP Bullfrog, how I miss you.

If I had the money I would buy EA and shut them down. Or, I would keep them alive but not allow them to make any more of the big name games they are reselling as new versions.

Or, better yet I would stop production of every game they have going on and make them do a Dungeon Keeper 3.

Yeah, spend billions to shut down a business? :rolleyes:

There must be a misinterpretation somewhere. Considering what Nexon has been investing in recently, my guess is they are going after EA Mobile.

i find it interesting.. that the forbes article says nexon is a bigger publisher then EA...

This could be true. Nexon is pretty huge in Korea and published some of the most popular free to play mmos like maple story.

Oh, Nexon is the company that does Maple Story. They must have a lot of cash on hand, because they just went public in December.

Meanwhile, EA was really happy about only losing a third of a billion dollars last year.

This could be true. Nexon is pretty huge in Korea and published some of the most popular free to play mmos like maple story.

Well I'm not sure what metric is used for "bigger" but EA has 3 times the revenue and over twice as many employees.

I hope not. The Koreans have been ruining so many games I can't even fathom what would happen if they bought out EA.

Well I'm not sure what metric is used for "bigger" but EA has 3 times the revenue and over twice as many employees.

I thought that too but after some researching, Nexon's market cap is about $8.5 billion while EA's is $5.3 billion. Still it would be tough for Nexon to pull it off. Another interesting note is that Nexon's CFO is Owen Mahoney, who used to be a Senior VP of Corporate Development at EA.

So what happens to all that data that Origin claims to not collect about your computer usage :p. (Just a bit of trolling for fun)

Seriously though...this is very interesting. EA has hit rock bottom as far as I am concerned (ME3, Origin, crap titles, bugs throughout the last/final games I bought, etc) so there is no where to go but up. Is it true that EA actually lost money in 2011?

Genius!

Those plans couldn't have come from the back of a cereal box...or did they...hmmmm.

I hope not. The Koreans have been ruining so many games I can't even fathom what would happen if they bought out EA.

Maybe EA can get a taste of their own medicine! All the companies that were eaten up can then go independent and start kickstarters!

If you think EA is a disaster now, just hope Nexon doesn't get their hands on it, unless you are absolutely dead set on killing EA. Nexon is an absolutely terrible company magnitudes worse than EA. You haven't seen greed and neglect unless you've played a Nexon published game.

Maybe EA can get a taste of their own medicine! All the companies that were eaten up can then go independent and start kickstarters!

Or only make console exclusive games because Sony and MS will buy them up.
You can go from unhappiness to misery just as quick.

Multiplatform games comes from pubs like EA, Activison etc., eliminating them and PC gaming will enter the dark ages.
Many independent games don't appeal to a wide audience. Some of them are great in a unique way, but nothing that will sustain PC gaming in the future.

Gotta love inflating the market price. Any takers on some people's cousins brother buying lots of EA stock before that article got published?

I think this is one extremely foolish idea. It's the people behind it that's the problem, not the company. What's to stop them from creating a new one with the money you used to buy them out and starting it all over again?

I also find it interesting that you didn't do any research before making that statement....:p

Net Income of EA Games: 276 million USD
Net Income of Nexon Games: 331.87 million USD

;)

Personally, I hope it happens, I already have zero intent in buying an EA title, so i honestly wouldn't care if Nexon gutted EA and turned all their titles into shit. I can have some hope, Maplestory was fun...for a minute.

EA owns a lot of rights to games that I would not want trading hands. I have little hope for the Command and Conquer brand but can you imagine how much more Nexon could tarnish it? RIP Westwood Studios.

Nexon buy out EA games, dismantle origin... start distributing games on steam.

It's what I'd do if I had 300 billion dollars......

I guess my only real experience with Nexon was back when they did the beta testing for Shattered Galaxy, a weird hybrid RTS/MMO that started off modestly (let's face it, that mix is just trouble) and was moderately entertaining (though utterly lacking in any general plot/sensible story as apparently being free-form excuses you from coming up with anything beyond random teleportation/drug-haze-controlled robots) and slowly degenerated into a freemium system.

I actually enjoyed the game when I was testing it in the early phases, especially when we figured out how to rig faction elections. However, when they did their pre-release overhaul, I lost all interest - the entire system was re-structured to make it fit into a freemium system, with all the interesting bits that had kept me interested blown over by the paid content.

My major quibble with freemium/free-to-play/pay-as-you-go games is that I object to paying more than something is actually worth, especially when it feels compulsory to keep up with a sliding curve. For example, I used to enjoy League of Legends, but after a while Riot let the community know that they were through with the free rides and bumped up the cost of new champions (aside from the long delayed Dominion mode and Twisted-Nobody-Plays-This-Unless-SRS-BZNS-Treeline, the only major content updates) to the point where it felt more like a part-time grind than an enjoyable spare time dump with occasional rewards. This being said, I enjoyed the game early on and pitched them what I thought was fair for their content at the time ~$30. However, their system has a nasty way of grabbing some people and I hesitate to imagine how much one friend spends/has spent on it.

I also find it interesting that you didn't do any research before making that statement....:p

Net Income of EA Games: 276 million USD
Net Income of Nexon Games: 331.87 million USD

;)

Personally, I hope it happens, I already have zero intent in buying an EA title, so i honestly wouldn't care if Nexon gutted EA and turned all their titles into shit. I can have some hope, Maplestory was fun...for a minute.

Nexon's game are crap, and the way they operate is just unacceptable.

EA will pretty much be DOOM if Nexon got them over...

Nexon buy out EA games, dismantle origin... start distributing games on steam.

It's what I'd do if I had 300 billion dollars......
why wouldn't you just use Origin for mobile and dd distribution instead of dismantling it?

Both companies suck, but most South Korean companies are so out of touch with what North American audiences want that this cannot be a good thing. EA needs to streamline their business and Bioware needs to GTFO Bungie style.

Man..... if you had EA you'd revamp EA. Think of all the IPs from Westwood and Bullfrong. Think of how you could fix ruined series. You could make Origin become merely an optional downloading program. No DRM! You could fix Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

Only good. EA is at rock bottom. Either they'd die or 2 wrongs make a right. With EA's announcment of "Always On" DRM policy and EA taking content out of a game to make pay DLCs, you can't get much lower. Well maybe you could get into rootkits, but man, there isn't much more evil left to do.

Man..... if you had EA you'd revamp EA. Think of all the IPs from Westwood and Bullfrong. Think of how you could fix ruined series. You could make Origin become merely an optional downloading program. No DRM! You could fix Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

I may not sleep tonight with these fantasies swimming in my mind. ;)

Only good. EA is at rock bottom. Either they'd die or 2 wrongs make a right. With EA's announcment of "Always On" DRM policy and EA taking content out of a game to make pay DLCs, you can't get much lower. Well maybe you could get into rootkits, but man, there isn't much more evil left to do.

Exactly. I'm all for it and I hope it's true. How could it be any worse?

Only way to go for EA coming off that DRM tidbit and some other things is up.

Back