EA Stock Soars On Buyout Rumors

I used to wait in line at midnight every year to buy Madden for PC. I loved it.

Peter Moore of EA Sports, after securing exclusive rights to make NFL football games, stopped releasing Madden for the PC.

Peter Moore has since been promoted to COO, and the rest of the EA Sports titles, save for soccer, have been discontinued for the PC.

Maybe it was a good business decision, but it's depressing to me that one of the biggest game companies in the world has been so hostile to us [H]ard-type computer gamers.

"EA Stock Soars On Buyout Rumors"?

Hmmm, stock soars on buyout rumors? Hey guys, I hear Wigets R Us is going to be bought out! So, run and buy a bunch of their stock! I already did. ;)

Nexon's game are crap, and the way they operate is just unacceptable.

EA will pretty much be DOOM if Nexon got them over...

Yet people fail to see that.

NEXON and the Korean mindset for how games work will ruin everything. Korean games suck.

EA has 5b in market cap right now, if you look back to the october november december, ie the shopping season, it was $25 or 66% higher. If EA has only half a trend in the next season that a 30% gain in share price.

Not to mention the amount of assets, which EA lists as of Dec 2011 as 5.6b leaving it with an equity to book ratio of ~1. This means a buyer gets what the assets are worth as there is no (and i am using an accounting term here) good will.:rolleyes: Ok that was a bad joke but still, the balance sheet found in their 10Q does tell all that you need to know, they lost money and spent it on R and D.

http://investor.ea.com/secfiling.cfm?filingID=1193125-12-41653

PS they do have 1.7b in good will on their balance sheets, this is probably patents and intellectual property from their acquisitions.

Honestly, if it does happens, I expect it to be something similar to Activision Blizzard, where Blizzard continues to operate as a subsidiary or something similar.

I doubt Nexon would take over everything under EA and run it themself.

This would be a disaster, despite everyone's hate for EA; DICE, Danger Close and Bioware can always count on a sale from me. If you hate EA now it will only get worse if NEXON take over. NEXON make terrible games.

If this happens, guess which company will be the biggest American video game publisher left?

Microsoft, then closely followed by Take2, both of whom have huge stakes mainly in the console market. You would then have to go fairly down the list to find an American game publisher that mainly serves PCs which happens to be Valve, then after that... Zynga.

Woops, totally forgot about THQ and ZeniMax (Bethesda and iD Software).

"EA Stock Soars On Buyout Rumors"?

Hmmm, stock soars on buyout rumors? Hey guys, I hear Wigets R Us is going to be bought out! So, run and buy a bunch of their stock! I already did. ;)

Yeah, buyout rumors do that don't they. Regardless of how plausible, or even possible they are.

If I had the money I would buy EA and shut them down. Or, I would keep them alive but not allow them to make any more of the big name games they are reselling as new versions.

Or, better yet I would stop production of every game they have going on and make them do a Dungeon Keeper 3.

If I had the money to buy EA, I would run it like Valve, except putting more emphasis on actually releasing products rather than just thinking them up. And I would tell devs to make more focused projects rather than trying to sell one game to everyone. For example, let the Battlefield series be a PC-only series, and let Bad Company cater to the console crowd. Let Dragon Age cater to the cRPG demographic, and Mass Effect cater to the action RPG demographic. Also, I would stop forcing multiplayer into products that don't need it. I'd also shrink the company dramatically over time, which means layoffs unfortunately. But in the long run I'd prefer to have a sustainable company rather than an overgrown beast that requires an obscene amount of revenue in order to remain profitable.

If I had the money I would buy EA and shut them down. Or, I would keep them alive but not allow them to make any more of the big name games they are reselling as new versions.

Or, better yet I would stop production of every game they have going on and make them do a Dungeon Keeper 3.

RIP Bullfrog, how I miss you.

As others have pointed out, your shutdown idea doesn't make much sense. But I am going to allow you to hold the floor a while longer as you discuss this Dungeon Keeper 3 idea in more detail.

Truly awesome game!

Well I for 1 can see the biggest advantage of all in nexon taking over EA ... access to those programing teams to be able to improve on there existing games as well as develope future titles with better graphics. I also disagree with those of you whom say there games suck.

I currently play Combat Arms & sorry to say compared to ANY of the other free to play fps's out there I STILL come back to this game as MOST of the other f2p/p2w fps's out there are for 1 "digitalized" & 2. cant support full resolutions, aa, bad, controls/laggy servers.

So as like i said ..... imagine if you could .... Combat Arms with its game engine from the 2001 hit game "no one lives forever" & even there new quite popular mmorpg Vindictus ... revamped onto game engines that normal run bf3 or mass affect. This would further power them into 1 of the biggest game studio's/publishers/distributers out there.

I also find it interesting that you didn't do any research before making that statement....:p

Net Income of EA Games: 276 million USD
Net Income of Nexon Games: 331.87 million USD

Wrong like a failed Mars expedition. EA's net income is -276 million USD.

Back