Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

Is there any word about 2H Barbs being improved damage wise? I've seen comments floating around that it isn't broken, but I'm not sure why the DPS is so much lower.

Wasn't that a problem with all 2-hander dps? You'd get a 1200 dps 2H axe while wearing a 1300 dps wand. Didn't make any sense.

Rerolling is awesome. Adding sockets to OK legendaries making them good, Vit to items I wasn't using because of the lack of toughness, crit chance and +%dmg increase to as much as I can. After I got the Mystic I spent a good 30-45 minutes just messing with that stuff. Luckily enough I got most of what I was going for after 1-2 tries. I was pretty pumped when I tried for cold damage on my bracers and got it on the first try.

But you get an achievement called "15th times a charm" after you have crafted 15 times on the same item. It adds cost each time too It was in the millions for one of my items before I finally got what I wanted.

Wasn't that a problem with all 2-hander dps? You'd get a 1200 dps 2H axe while wearing a 1300 dps wand. Didn't make any sense.

I'm referring to items like Skorn (gemmed) and some of the other 1300+dps weapons being outdone by Windfury and a decent OH.

At 70 it's not too much of a problem because 2H generally rolls more damage than 1H (From what I've seen, average ~2400 DPS vs ~1900 for 1H), but 2H weapon damage is nearly double that of 1H, so there's a reason to take use them.

At 70 it's not too much of a problem because 2H generally rolls more damage than 1H (From what I've seen, average ~2400 DPS vs ~1900 for 1H), but 2H weapon damage is nearly double that of 1H, so there's a reason to take use them.
Yea that's not good. Any class should be torn between 1h and 2h

But that's exactly my point. The difference being that 2H weapon damage is much higher, but attack speed is lower. The opposite is true for 1H.

The weapon you use depends on your build.

But that's exactly my point. The difference being that 2H weapon damage is much higher, but attack speed is lower. The opposite is true for 1H.

The weapon you use depends on your build.

Sooo you get the same DPS either way because you are doing either more damage slower or less damage faster... :confused:

Yeah, so far I have not seen a super compelling reason to go 2H.

It's not the same, because like I said, it depends on your build. There are skills that benefit from bigger front-loaded damage, while others benefit from a higher attack speed. 1H weapons also generate AND drain resources faster, and passive resource generation is more valuable with a slow 2H.

Of course this only applies at 70. At 60, 2H weapons are trash.

Don't get my copy until Friday - anyone playing the Crusader care to share their thoughts on the class?

I just started playing and I've never played a Diablo game before. I did play the Diablo III beta but that was it.

I'm basically running around left-clicking on things a lot and then occasionally right-clicking and when I get good loot I equip it and sell off the junk stuff to merchants. Looks like I can craft stuff. Is that about it? Am I over-complicating this?

Don't get my copy until Friday - anyone playing the Crusader care to share their thoughts on the class?

Right now I am leveling my first crusader, lvl 41 so far...

I find the class quite fun to play. Got into a party the other night where all 4 of us were running crusaders... we steamrolled most everything we came across. :D

Cool...I kinda miss having an armored class since Diablo 2.

Looking forward to playing one when I can.

Ok, so an update on my Surround woes. I dicked around with it more tonight, same thing.

It seems a bug with portrait mode though. I flipped my monitors to landscape, and it worked properly, no hassle.

Anyone have any ideas to get portrait to work? 3600x1920 in particular.

Anyone figure out how to force AA through the nVidia control panel? I've tried every combination possible but the game seems to be ignoring any enhanced settings. The built in FXAA looks pretty terrible. I found a blog post a few years back of someone getting it to work but I tried the same settings with no effect.

Anyone figure out how to force AA through the nVidia control panel? I've tried every combination possible but the game seems to be ignoring any enhanced settings. The built in FXAA looks pretty terrible. I found a blog post a few years back of someone getting it to work but I tried the same settings with no effect.

For "Antialiasing - Mode" set it to "Override any application setting."

Then pick your AA of choice for "Setting" and "Transparency." I'd also manually enable AF (and make sure in game AA is off as you noticed how bad it looks).

You're right and this is a problem since the last patch, I've seen it complained about in the battle,net forums as well. None of the settings in NV control panel seem to override the game. For example the last patch broke Adaptive VSync.

Not sure if the fix needs to come from NV or Blizz but the ingame options aren't as good as whats possible through NV panel.

I found an Nvidia Inspector profile that works to allow forced AA overides again, but it still doesn't work for vsync. Hopefully Blizzard/Nvidia can get that sorted out, because the stutters with the in-game vsync are so annoying.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/Mana84/DiabloIII.nip

Was Vsync enabled in Nvidia control panel working for you without enabling it in game? I could never get it to work without enabling the in game setting.

I'm also leveling a crusader, and while I was worried I wouldn't like the game play style, it is actually pretty fun, not just new. One of the first passives you can play with is using any 2H as a 1H weapon, but you lose some run speed. I have only got to like 17 or so, so not a very good review point. I'm hoping there is some type of monk like vortex to pull enemies in, but I have really looked ahead.

Ok, so an update on my Surround woes. I dicked around with it more tonight, same thing.

It seems a bug with portrait mode though. I flipped my monitors to landscape, and it worked properly, no hassle.

Anyone have any ideas to get portrait to work? 3600x1920 in particular.

bump for my own problem here, been pissing me the fuck off.

Was Vsync enabled in Nvidia control panel working for you without enabling it in game? I could never get it to work without enabling the in game setting.

No you can't get vsync with control panel options. I even tried forcing it on globally and it still wouldn't work in Diablo, so Blizzard must have pulled some weird driver level tricks with whatever they changed in 2.0.1.

At first I was a little turned off by the crafting system, but it is managable. Sometimes the hardest crafting mat to find is the white lvl 70 armor piece. My first shoulder craft was good, but i traded in reduced cooldown for dex. Got high dex, high vit, max RA, max reduced resource cost and increased health globes. A slight upgrade for me, but one piece closer to my set goal (2pc gives +100 RA, 3pc +20 life). Next is boots, then I'll be farming act 1 like crazy hoping for the ring that reduces set bonus requirements.

I found an Nvidia Inspector profile that works to allow forced AA overides again, but it still doesn't work for vsync. Hopefully Blizzard/Nvidia can get that sorted out, because the stutters with the in-game vsync are so annoying.

If you're getting stuttering with Vsync on, couldn't you leave it off and set the Max FPS to your refresh rate? That is what I have been doing and I'm not getting any stuttering or tearing.

Capping FPS to your refresh still gives lots of tearing... maybe it's better with a 120hz monitor, but on mine I get tearing no matter what the FPS is capped at, without vsync.

I loved this in D2 (ladder only runewords). Really gave me a reason to play ladder instead of staying in regular. Not sure how they'll handle the "level" race though. Maybe separate instances of paragon.

Oh if it was like D2 it would be fine. The wording made it sound like they were going to have certain legendaries that were only obtainable during a specific ladder season, so if you didn't find one before the ladder was over you would never have the chance to obtain one again. It should be self explanatory why that turns Diablo into a job more than a game.

Lets be honest the crusader doesn't "really" lose any movement speed with the 2H in 1H passive. I mean come on the crusader basically gets a mount (Steed Charge) and then has skills like Shield bash where he can charge across the screen.

2 x 2H weapons for Barbarian please.

Capping FPS to your refresh still gives lots of tearing... maybe it's better with a 120hz monitor, but on mine I get tearing no matter what the FPS is capped at, without vsync.
Might try increasing or decreasing the FPS by a few. I'm using a 144 Hz monitor set to 144 FPS in game.

They should have items that only drop in Hardcore mode. Are there currently any incentives at all to making a HC character?

I'm also leveling a crusader, and while I was worried I wouldn't like the game play style, it is actually pretty fun, not just new. One of the first passives you can play with is using any 2H as a 1H weapon, but you lose some run speed. I have only got to like 17 or so, so not a very good review point. I'm hoping there is some type of monk like vortex to pull enemies in, but I have really looked ahead.

Crusader is pretty fun so far, mine's in the 50s now. They do get a vortex rune eventually.

Wrath turns out to be like witch doctor mana: slow to regenerate, limiting the ability to DPS. The other option is all the cooldown powers, which do great damage but only every 20 seconds or so. I could see cooldown reduction builds being a thing. There's also the option of getting neph valor stacks and actually keeping them for a while using the passive, raising your movement speed and dps.

I've been leveling in adventure mode, just doing bounties and rifts. Last night was mostly spent in an all-crusader group leveling together, we did enough bounties to finish out the whole A1-A5 map, then lots of rifts, and I went from level 20 to 50 in the process. Good stuff, it's nice being able to skip the story after playing through it a million times in vanilla D3.

Last edited:

I just tested it, and for me on 335.23 drivers, forcing AA via the Nvidia Control Panel is working. When set to anything besides "Override any application setting" I get jaggies galore and around ~800MB vram usage at 2560 x 1600.

With the control panel set to override any application setting in the Diablo 3 profile (and 32x CSAA & 8x transparency AA), I get ~1600MB of vram usage. The jaggies are also greatly diminished.

It is true that forcing VSYNC doesn't appear to work, however.

I went ahead and bought the XPAC yesterday. Im a little confused though because i had completed 1 play through on both a Demon Hunter and A monk but I dont have adventure mode unlocked. It seems as though you have to beat it after the point that they restructured away from multiple playthroughs to the level scaling system there is now.

Unfortunately I reset my Demon hunter so hes in act 1, but My monk i think should still be in the later acts, ill have to check so i can beat diablo and get adventure mode unlocked

I went ahead and bought the XPAC yesterday. Im a little confused though because i had completed 1 play through on both a Demon Hunter and A monk but I dont have adventure mode unlocked. It seems as though you have to beat it after the point that they restructured away from multiple playthroughs to the level scaling system there is now.

Unfortunately I reset my Demon hunter so hes in act 1, but My monk i think should still be in the later acts, ill have to check so i can beat diablo and get adventure mode unlocked

I think you can just join someone else's game on the last bosses, kill him, and Adventure Mode unlocks.

Is anyone in the clan playing adv. mode? Last night everyone was running Act V campaign. Every public adv. mode game I join is terrible because most of the bounties are already completed or people are just sitting around in town. Half the time, *all* of the bounties are complete and people are just entering and leaving the game. I know our clan is small, so LFG may not work too well, but I'm always up for running adv. mode with you fine people. I usually do Master since I'm a little slow on T1.

Hopefully Blizzard will program the public games to prioritize adv. mode games with fewer bounties complete in the future. Not sure why people even get added to games where everything's all done when there are 800-1000 games available.

I just started playing and I've never played a Diablo game before. I did play the Diablo III beta but that was it.

I'm basically running around left-clicking on things a lot and then occasionally right-clicking and when I get good loot I equip it and sell off the junk stuff to merchants. Looks like I can craft stuff. Is that about it? Am I over-complicating this?

In short, yes. The long version is that it'll get considerably tougher later on, so learning to balance stats on gear and utilizing all 6 of your ability slots depending on the situation early on really helps. There are tougher difficulties later on and shit really hits the fan with mob difficulty. There are also special events.

Is anyone in the clan playing adv. mode? Last night everyone was running Act V campaign. Every public adv. mode game I join is terrible because most of the bounties are already completed or people are just sitting around in town. Half the time, *all* of the bounties are complete and people are just entering and leaving the game. I know our clan is small, so LFG may not work too well, but I'm always up for running adv. mode with you fine people. I usually do Master since I'm a little slow on T1.

Hopefully Blizzard will program the public games to prioritize adv. mode games with fewer bounties complete in the future. Not sure why people even get added to games where everything's all done when there are 800-1000 games available.

I applied to the clan and haven't been accepted yet. I ended up doing 25 bounties with a pickup group last night. Took a couple of tries, however I zoned into one that was fresh and 3 of the 4 people stuck around for the whole thing.

And when we finished bounties, a couple of us from the group did a bit of farming while people continuously joined the game and then left after realizing we cleared all the bounties already :( I felt bad so I left too.

I have to say that I'm liking that they ramped up difficulty at 70 vice 60. I was playing T2-T3 with mediocre-good gear post 2.0 but pre-RoS, but now I'm striving for T1 with a few more gear upgrades. I'm currently at 380k DPS (self buffed)/4.5M toughness/320k life with my Wizard, so I don't think I could handle T1 efficiently at this point.

It's nice to have something to strive for. The key to this is incremental gear upgrades that *continue* to happen. It's this piece that gives players that addictive heroin drip that keeps us all coming back.

Mob density in bounties is great too. Feels like pre-2.0 Inferno after the density buff. Also, the palette swaps on the environments keep things fresh. Last night I played Act II at night (it was dark anyway) and it was like a breath of fresh air since I usually hate Act II.

Back